GT5-Prologue Impressions Thread

Darth Turismo
Howdie guys,

Couldn't find a simple thread for posting impressions of the japanese version of Gt5p so thought i'd create my first thread.......

For now i'll keep my thoughts short and sweet.... it took 3 hours to download.. is almost midnight here.... anyway....

1. presentation is incredible, in a word "WOW" the menus and intro... and showroom.... just incredible i could spend all day just going through the cars and looking at the detail! :drool:
2. the screen tearing of the demo is GONE!!! (in the showrooms) did i mention the detail!! hahaha....
3. Looks like as mentioned only 3500 yen to start meaning integra is the best there is buy at first.....
4. seems fairly straight forward to navigate, im sure someone will provide a translation soon.
5. tyre sounds have changed dramatically.... there are differing levels of intensity depending on speed and amount of lock... but with the integra so far it seems to be overly screechie on full lock regardless of aids on or off... braking is more of a scraping sound... same for less intensive lock if that makes sense....

viewed through 1080p hd and through a surround sound system it is ace!

anyway off to do some more driving before bed... hope others will post their impressions/dislikes etc..... haven't really found anything to dislike apart from the overly sensitive tyre screech of the integra....

peace

i see some videos the guy only turns 190 degrees whith steering wheel in game, can you turn it on to have full 900degrees? and how come some videos show guys ( in game) swich gears and some dont?

How are the engine sounds? From what I see in the videos (which are of course bad quality) it's been improved. Can this be confirmed?

screenshots! how do they compare to the ones posted december 11?

Game, for me at least on a standard TV looks like the demo. Only experienced some tearing once, but other than that I can't complain about anything.

Jaguar
i see some videos the guy only turns 190 degrees whith steering wheel in game, can you turn it on to have full 900degrees? and how come some videos show guys ( in game) swich gears and some dont?

I'm using a DFP in 900 and his hands only move as you say 190. He does switch gears, although sometimes on upshifts he won't move his hand in anticipation to change gear.

superb16
Can you buy and adjust performace parts in Prologue?

No.

kikie
Can you play it with 3 monitors like in GT4?

I don't know, it's not listed in the options so I would presume it's a no.

The-BNA
How are the engine sounds? From what I see in the videos (which are of course bad quality) it's been improved. Can this be confirmed?

They've definitly improved, I've only been driving the cheap cars so far but they are much more distinctive than before.

how come some videos show guys ( in game) swich gears and some dont?

Would this not be maybe whether you've set it to manual or automatic?

That was my first thought when I saw the driver not shifting, automatic...

Also, with the tyre squeal, from watching the videos on Youtube, it seems most of the people who've posted them are using controllers. I think the really harsh sound we're hearing is because effectively they're throwing the car onto full lock in the corners, so it's going to slip and squeal.

There are parts in some of the videos where you can see the wheel isn't turned too far, much more like you would if you were actually driving using a wheel and there appears to be very little tyre squeal, or just a gentle lower moaning, which seems much more realistic than previous GT games (although that observation is from memory...)

It's great to see that the engine sounds have improved (and seem a bit louder thankfully).

Has anyone with the game seen if you can adjust the various sound levels at all? (Along the line of engine / tyre / wind noise) I think a bit of tweaking of sound levels could really help, especially on certain people's setups.

I think PD may have underestimated the importance of sound in the game. Sure it looks very good, but the hairs on your neck don't stand up looking at graphics. How many petrolheads go weak at the knees at the sound of a great engine? I'm sure these same people who love cars so much wouldn't mind if the windscreen heating element wasn't accurately modelled if the engine note in the F430 sung to them through their speakers...

I think PD may have underestimated the importance of sound in the game. Sure it looks very good, but the hairs on your neck don't stand up looking at graphics. How many petrolheads go weak at the knees at the sound of a great engine? I'm sure these same people who love cars so much wouldn't mind if the windscreen heating element wasn't accurately modelled if the engine note in the F430 sung to them through their speakers...

Yes....I completely agree. PD is definitely getting better, but i know what you mean :cool:

That's not exactley new news, PD did confirm that tuning wasn't in months ago.

NO PERFORMANCE PARTS!?!? Huge disappointment. No way am I buying this. Who wants to drive a bunch of stock cars around all day? Only way I'm buying this is if it's a used $25 purchase.

Sooooo........go play Forza. Bye!

Also, with the tyre squeal, from watching the videos on Youtube, it seems most of the people who've posted them are using controllers. I think the really harsh sound we're hearing is because effectively they're throwing the car onto full lock in the corners, so it's going to slip and squeal.
I agree, but that isn't an excuse, Forza sounds good even with controller, the input model for the controllers on GT needs to be more "turn wheel in direction of controller input", and not just turn the wheel the same amount as the stick moves. But I haven't played it yet, so I might be wrong.

NO PERFORMANCE PARTS!?!? Huge disappointment. No way am I buying this. Who wants to drive a bunch of stock cars around all day? Only way I'm buying this is if it's a used $25 purchase.

its prologue what did you expect? its well and truly far from a full game.

I'm glad someone finally mentioned this.
How can everyone say cockpit view is so great, when the most important visual element is not correct/realistic?
The hands never cross, and stays at a almost static position of less than 200deegrees. These are road cars, not go-karts!

The steering wheel rotation translates to you the input, and should be number 1 importance before leather stitching. Kaz should be ashamed of himself, calling himself a perfectionist! Even Live for Speed got this right, and its a 3 man team...
This must be fixed asap! When I have a massive slide and rotate my real steering wheel 540deegrees, the in game visual wheel should do the exact same thing.

It really bugs me that most racing games have this problem. Is it a limitation of fake physics engine?
Anyway, for me personally, it completely ruins the perception of reality when using cockpit view because of this bug.

I don't think any of us were expecting a fully blown performance parts changing option in prologue!! Gt5 will have this but for now prologue has the ability to upgrade the performance in increments with pre-determined gains in performance. As far as i'm concerned it is fine.

As far as graphics are concerned... anyone who believes graphics mean nothing in a game really need to take a look at this in High Def. SD will NOT do this game justice..... yes it is pretty.... and jaggies are definately improved over the demo and so is the lighting on HD screens although still have to bring the brightness up a bit!

think we need a full translation of the menus to fully understand all our options as i'm sure there are things we are not aware of yet....

seems engine sounds now take into account both engine and exhaust which is a definate improvement.... tyre scrubbing under brakes and with less lock is also much better....

i cannot comment on the AI as yet, it does seem a little easy on the race tracks but maybe it is early days (ie: c cup) and there may be a difficulty setting i am not aware of.... :sly:

i love all the tracks! the eiger has changed slightly compared to HD! and suzuka seems a tad brighter.... all in all i am very satisfied and happy!

I do imagine there will be others that will find things to be unhappy about!

The only strange thing i noticed was that tyre smoke appears to have gone missing unless you use the handbrake??? not sure what happened there... but when the integra is screeching it's little head off there is not tyre smoke!

anyways, will add some more comments once i get a little more time under my belt :)

Well pd has stated gt5p is a test bed anyhow, it does seem that missing detail such as full wheel rotation and driver animation will come though as it was already in gt4 . Nice to know updates are coming .

Drama queens in my GTPlanet. Calm down and save your money for the actual game. Im going to hold out for the real deal whenever it manages to come out.

its prologue what did you expect? its well and truly far from a full game.
I realize that now. But I don't think that it would have been too much to ask for performance parts. Just a few. And to answer your question, I've never played Prologue before, so I didn't know what to expect. Now I know. I'll just wait for the full version in a couple of years I guess since I can't see spending this much money for stock cars. More power to the rest of you though. Play on.

Drama queens in my GTPlanet. Calm down and save your money for the actual game. Im going to hold out for the real deal whenever it manages to come out.
What a jerk. Just because I was hoping for some tuner parts doesn't make me drama queen.

anyone here noticed that the rear view mirror and the side mirrors were fixed?
Back when I played GT5P:Demo it was a little teary, but not anymore.

Wait, people seriously don't want to play GT because they can't modify the cars? I think the new NFS is out... Go take a stock car around the 'Ring on N1 tires in GT4 and you'll find there's more to the game than OMG MAX HP!!!!!oneoneeleventyone.

I'm very tempted to import the game and borrow a friend's PS3 to play it, until I find a solid NA release date. And I'm thinking the reason for the driver's wheel rotation animation being limited is because, other than the wheel's made specifically for GT, game wheels don't have 900-degree modes. So it really will seem realistic that way ;).

taken from a neogaf member:

8amojf6.jpg

6ueux5l.jpg

7yfssah.jpg

71o6wjq.jpg

7wprghy.jpg

80vualk.jpg

6q2tksi.jpg

7yecqk3.jpg

6y1f28h.jpg

8bglr35.jpg

four letters: omfg :)

source

^^^^^

What's the 'STILL' for? Does that just mean you've paused the replay?

Are those in-game? Or does the PS3 perform some sort of extra rendering while the game is in 'STILL' mode?

it's ingame, just the still means he put the tv image on pause that's it :P

-> By far this is the best pic I've seen since its release:

6y1f28h.jpg

^ It almost replicates the real thing! :drool:

-> Thanks for sharing guys about your imput of the JDM-spec GT5P. As of now I'm still debating if I should wait of the USDM-spec hardcopy or DL the JDM-spec right now. :indiff:

Physics are continuing the improvement we saw in the demo, cars feel more natural now and more planted. Front wheel drive cars, while a lot better than GT4 in being less reluctant to understeer still don't exhibit any signs of proper oversteer while in professional mode under provacation. I'm not expecting big slides, and can well understand the less sporty cars being like this but the ITR should be a bit more interactive I feel (at least from reading the many praises it gets from car magazines as a front drive chassis.) Driving is a lot more fun compared to GT4, and I feel controlling a slide is much more progressive and realistic than ever.

The races in the events section have been too easy even while using professional mode, although the manufacturer races provide a stronger challenge. London track will definetly grow on a lot of people as it has something for everything, and the reverse of it is better than I expected. Daytona is boring in all instances (although the mission races are kinda fun), although you would expect that and I'm sure when used online it will live up to it's potential.

Ah yes, dunno if it's been mentioned but there's a penalty for taking shortcuts too - your car slows down for a certain time period after you cut a corner. The severity of the penalties (or if it's even turned on) is listed when you choose an event.

Back