GT5 Prologue, Logitech G27 and clutch question.

• Thread starter mjb1962
  • 23 comments
OK, please excuse the possibly dumb question, but I only got GT5P and a Logitech G27 wheel two days ago, so I am seriously new at this!

Am I setting things up wrong, or is there no need to use the G27 clutch pedal in GT5P at all? I race with a manual setup so that I can use my gears, but I've noticed that when racing, I don't need to depress the clutch pedal when shifting up/down through the gears. At least, I can't seem to notice and adverse effects for not doing so. There appears to be no difference between using the clutch when changing gear, and not using it!

Am I missing something?

Also, what are the pros and cons of racing with an automatic gearbox? (yes, I am VERY new to sim racing!)

Mike.

You have to press triangle after the race starts to enable the clutch in GT5P with either your wheel or a G25.

Automatic = not always best gear selection or shift point.

it should be noted that you can activate/deactivate the clutch at any time during the race with the triangle (top) button. I find it really hard to use the clutch, i always seem to get stuck in neutral and have to get back to the proper gear with regards to the rpm before I can move to other gears. Thats just me though.

Hi guys! My question is quite the oposite! My friend bought a G27 too (i still prefer my G25:D) and the question is he cant use the shifters in the whell! i tried but nothing... when pressing the triangle we only can change gear in the gearbox without the clutch, and still no shifting in the wheel! Thanks:)

you can either of the following:
1) Use automatic method for those particular cars - very annoying
2) Change the gears ratio so the final gear need to be used in the 6th according to top speed (so the 7th gear will be set to 500km/h...)

BTW - they do work on the GT5TT, it just that this wheel release way after GT5P was getting it's last update.

it should be noted that you can activate/deactivate the clutch at any time during the race with the triangle (top) button. I find it really hard to use the clutch, i always seem to get stuck in neutral and have to get back to the proper gear with regards to the rpm before I can move to other gears. Thats just me though.

I've been doing lots of time trials lately. While doing the Suzuki Cappuccino at HSR and Daytona Road, there was something bothering me.

HSR: I could consistently get 3 tenths up at the 1st split on some 'Fak Evil' guy. 2nd split, also good. Then going into, around, and out of the final corner, the time just crept away. Really was confused; couldn't understand how that time could be lost. Eventually I beat the time, but was a bit unsatisfied with the 3rd sector. There is an upshift just before entering the final corner.

Daytona Road: Similar story. First 2 splits can get 3 tenths up on some Swiss guy. Then, a flat-out banking + two upshifts later, and I always lose 4 tenths! Unbelievable. Eventually after watching some replays and attention to detail, realise that all of the top guys' upshifts are really seamless! They upshift as quick as blinking one's eye. Whereas me using the Six Axis with no clutch option has to make do with the current upshift (which in itself is as quick as can realistically be expected for that kind of gearbox).

I've searched through the forum for some info on this. People were talking about people using modified input devices and things. But that was a while ago now, and difficult to get a coherent story from all of the previous talk. Is this really the case? Simply using a G25 will not provide this kind of upshift capability, but only a modified device?

I find the clutch quite realistic, the only problem i have with it is you dont need to put it all the way down, but then again every car is different..

And i have a very n00bish question especially for a first post which i hope you do excuse me for - Is there anyway to make the clutch active by default?

I am unable to engage the clutch during the 10 minute "High Speed Ring" found in class B, but can engage the clutch during other races. Do others have this problem? Is there a solution? Thanks.

I am unable to engage the clutch during the 10 minute "High Speed Ring" found in class B, but can engage the clutch during other races. Do others have this problem? Is there a solution? Thanks.

Whatever car that is (I forget) may not have a fully manual transmission. Those types of cars (R35 GT-R and Evo X among them) have no clutch available in GT5P as there's no manual clutch on the actual car.

And i have a very n00bish question especially for a first post which i hope you do excuse me for - Is there anyway to make the clutch active by default?

Nope. You have to press triangle at the beginning of every race, and again if you go into the XMB during a race. I think GT5 will probably have an option to turn it on permanently.

You have to press triangle at the beginning of every race

You have to press Reverse, which may not be mapped to triangle. ;)
You can do it again to disable clutch during a race too.

Going into the XMB during a race doesn't disable my clutch. :confused:

Clacksman you are right about the reverse thing (I thought it was triangle only), but going to the XMB definitely does disable my clutch, and I have to press triangle (reverse) again. Aren't you on a G25 though? Maybe it's just a G27 thing.

Clacksman you are right about the reverse thing (I thought it was triangle only), but going to the XMB definitely does disable my clutch, and I have to press triangle (reverse) again. Aren't you on a G25 though? Maybe it's just a G27 thing.

Aha yes, G25 here, so that may be.

👍

on the g27 which button is the triangle? is it the very top one? I tried pressing that in before the race starts and i can still shift up or down without engaging the clutch. i wish there was a way to tell that the clutch is on and activated.

The triangle button is indeed the very top one, and you need to press it after the race starts.

Edit: Actually you need to press whatever is mapped as reverse, which is usually triangle. You still have to wait until you are driving though.

Last edited:
I find the clutch quite realistic, the only problem i have with it is you dont need to put it all the way down, but then again every car is different..

I think this is normal for a lot of sports cars. I have a 350z and you barely have to touch the clutch to change gears.

I finally got my setup complete and I am having some issues. I did the hwardwire parking brake mod to my setup too. First off, my gear shifter isn't working with the game even when I choose manual mode on the beginning screen. 2nd, the parking brake lever will not work, but the botton on the control panel will. Also, the direction pad on the control panel will not work (I have to use the wireless controller to scroll through items in GT5P at the moment.

I just brought a G27 and I have GT5 prologue, m really new in all dis. My game starts properly but the steering doesn't work. Can plz sumone help me!!!

Back