GT5 Prologue Physics

• Thread starter wnffe
  • 65 comments
just mentioning that because if the 350z has N1 tires and S would be illegal for street, then what do those R tires mean?

In the real world, there are essentially 3 types of tyres. (as I see it, and perhaps htis is what PD was going for)

First "normal street tyres" - what ever normal might be as the car ships from the factory, some cheap rubbish Dunlop Superslip Nogrip tyres for a Corolla or some expensive street Michelin Pilot Sport tyres for a Viper or Porsche GT3 RS. Remember they dont even make a cheap rubbish Dunlop Superslip Nogrip in the Viper size - so having an option to select such a tyre makes no sense.

Second "sports/track tyres" - this might range (S1) from the much more expenisve Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres that would last about 2000 miles on the Viper or GT3 driven on the street, or maybe (S3) DOT semi slick Hoosier R/A or Kuhmo V7xx "DOT street" but not what youwould drive on the street.

Third "race slicks" - this is probably hard compound (R1) true race slicks ranging to (R3) soft compound true rac slicks. Tyres youwould be foolish to try use on the street as you could not heat them up enough and have very poor water displacement properties.

Anyway, thats the way I like to view it :)

For a comparison, I use Goodyear Supercar F1 Fiorana tyres for my street driving (Ferrari F50 OEM rear tyre on my rear wheels, C5 Z06 OEM rear tyre on my front wheels) and in cooler weather or when the tyre have no heat in them they have very little traction to offer - and the 660bhp my car produces will blow the tyres away at the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear shifts.

Using these tyres on a race track is a nightmare excercise in balancing the car between extreme snap oversteer coming out of sharp corners and extreme understeer if I go into a sharp bend too hot - and trying to get the power down accelerting through 100mph sweepers is a single throttle feather away from an oversteer slide into the outfield.

But for normal, level headed street driving they are ok - so I would consider these tyres to be N2 Normal Street tyres - the Michelin Pilots I tried for a short while seemed a little better, I might rate them maybe N3.

For serious track work I currently use Kuhmo V700's or V710's (depending on what TireRack has available for quick delivery) - These tyres are like driving on velcro drums - you have to seriously over drive them to get them to break loose - or be very violent with your inputs - I would rate these as S2 and S3 respectively. They are super sticky, but not good enough to push to the insane limits real racecars and drivers need and can use.

This is what I would consider Rx tyres to be - I would not bother running Goodyear Racing Slicks on my street car at the track, because the extreme loads these tyres put on the suspension components (bearings, ball joints shock mounts etc) does not seem worth the minimal gains someone of my limited skill could get using these tyres on track.

Anyway, enough rambling - time for someone to call me out as poseur, liar and fraud ;) (j/k)

since youre talking about tires...

on page 12 in the manual section, there´s a list of all the cars in the game. it looks like it´s suggesting which tire to choose if you´re looking for "the closest to real life" performance.

it´d be nice to have a rough translation of that page. might be interesting ;)

To be honest I am very dissappointed the fact that I still could not do countersteer donuts in Prologue. Anybody using logitech DFP or G25 would understand what I mean. I remember it was worst in GT4, and thanks for all your voices, PD slightly improved it on GTHD where decent drift can be done a lot easier although countersteer donut still not possible.

Take 'Live for Speed' and 'Rfactor' for example, in these simulations, you can still race, drift and do whatever you want with the car. Their physics are almost as real life cars as far as I am concern. I'm sure anybody who play LFS would agree with me doing countersteer donuts as a basis of drifting and drifting itself are fairly a lot easier to do than in any other games although it is a simulator. They modelled it correctly and it is still a fun game to play. The downsides are they don't offer the same 'feel' of dreams as in GT where in those games cars are not real and graphics are not as cool. No offense to LFS fans!!

Your voices really count guys. Thanks:bowdown::bowdown:

in that first video, hes not using the countersteer as much.. first he turns rite all the way, power, then straightens the wheels, up then turns a lil rite, then back to straight, and so forth....

besides u posted videos of supe-up cars. they are moded and ready for drifting. in GT5p ( which i did not play yet) all cars are stock, and drive ready not drift ready.

and dont think rfactor is all that.. dont get me wrongs, its great and i love it... but, drifts are not real at all, and cars really tend to have grip or just dont. cars handle sometimes unrealistically. but im not here to talk about that :)

in that first video, hes not using the countersteer as much.. first he turns rite all the way, power, then straightens the wheels, up then turns a lil rite, then back to straight, and so forth....

besides u posted videos of supe-up cars. they are moded and ready for drifting. in GT5p ( which i did not play yet) all cars are stock, and drive ready not drift ready.

and dont think rfactor is all that.. dont get me wrongs, its great and i love it... but, drifts are not real at all, and cars really tend to have grip or just dont. cars handle sometimes unrealistically. but im not here to talk about that :)

I think he did countersteer near to full lock. See the attached videos in detail...You don't really need a souped up car to do that. Standard rwd car with LSD or locking diff on low traction tyres or on wet tarmac should do the work easily.

I don't disagree with you on rfactor though, unless you are running special mods with modified physics...:)

Anything with a decent amount of power and a well-enough-sorted suspension can drift. For example, a 350Z, and as BreakerOhio demonstrated, GT5P is at least close enough to reality to allow that car to drift. :)

I agree. I've never really been a huge fan of ISI-powered games. I only bought rFactor for the eventual release of the Touring Car Legends mod.

Back