GT5 Review scores (Update :Average metacritic score)

• Thread starter DoctorFouad
  • 1,417 comments
Remember that review can be different due to the actual reviewers themselves.
The GT5 IGN review was not done by a certain Chris Roper, fan of the series, and former member of IGN. Chris reviewed GT4 and gave it a very high score - 9.5. In the GT4 review, he states that "There is the nagging feeling that developer Polyphony Digital is refusing to expand its own world..". This "problem" has been echoed by reviewers of GT5, and unlike other reviewers, Chris, as a fan of the series, has the ability to fully comprehend Polyphony Digital's "different" ways of making video games, and not let this alter his review of the game. Other reviewers may not understand the "different" way that PD works, and mark the game worse as a result.

Personally, I believe that although many points raised in the various reviews are true, a fan that understands the magical world of Gran Turismo; and is able to overlook the minor flaws, and that it isn't "Need for Speed" and that cars don't explode into a million pieces upon impact, that they will have lots and lots of fun with the game for years to come.

[joke] BTW, when is the Gran Turismo 6 release date again? I hope we see a trailer at E3 next year! [/joke]

I have actually sent a Facebook message to a certain Christopher Lee Roper asking him his opinion on IGN's GT5 review and I will post his reaction when I get it (although I did mention to him that he would be free to answer after playing the game thoroughly, so don't hold your breath)

Personally even though I haven't played the game, I was expecting IGN to give it I higher overall score but personally I think that its more important to look past whatever flaws that may come up and enjoy the game.

You emo's need to look at the text of the IGN review, not just the score, he SPECIFICALLY states it IS the best DRIVING game out there, the knocks are its lack of presentation, and that its too much sim, and not for everyone, and inconsistencies in graphics, standard/premium. Basically its GT, the best priving game, not arcade fluff. he says 10/10 as a sim, sorry, thats all I need, it is a sim.

I assume where people get annoyed is when you see another racing title FM3 get a higher score undeservedly so in comparison.

I assume where people get annoyed is when you see another racing title FM3 get a higher score undeservedly so in comparison.

True, but who cares about a score? Only obsessive fanboys who need a life. Buy, enjoy. Only thing that dissappoints me is the poor damage, but i can live with that.

Maybe they feel FM3 is a better "racing" game, opposed to a better "sim". Mario Kart got an 8.9 by IGN UK and 8.5 by IGN US, better than GT5!! :dopey:

The only person who's opinion matters is the gamer him/herself, mainly because everyone sees and plays the game in different ways, if that makes any sense. You do have to try the game yourself to get a true opinion on it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's competing with Forza. Forza was made to be Microsoft's answer to Gran Turismo.

To be honest I think Forza was competing more with Gran Turismo than Gran Turismo was with Forza. They're always going to be opposite sides of the same coin, but it seemed to me that Turn 10 were trying to prove they can match Kaz's vision, while Kaz is merely following his own ambitions.

To be honest I think Forza was competing more with Gran Turismo than Gran Turismo was with Forza. They're always going to be opposite sides of the same coin, but it seemed to me that Turn 10 were trying to prove they can match Kaz's vision, while Kaz is merely following his own ambitions.

True, as good as forza is it wont sell one tenth what Gt5 will, Gt5 is not really competing with anything.

True, Midian, but Gran Turismo and Polyphony have to recognise the success of Forza and Turn 10. They simply cannot afford not to acknowledge Forza as a rival and competitor. It's a mistake that will cost them dearly.

True, but Gran Turismo and Polyphony have to recognise the success of Forza and Turn 10. They simply cannot afford not to acknowledge Forza as a rival and competitor.

Not really, Gt will sell truckloads on Ps3, as it is the only sim on PS3, and is a huge name, forza is on xbox and despite being very good, doesnt have near the same impact on xbost. Forza will have little effect on Gt unless it goes cross platform.

The only person who's opinion matters is the gamer him/herself, mainly because everyone sees and plays the game in different ways, if that makes any sense. You do have to try the game yourself to get a true opinion on it though.

👍

This is exactly why I don't trust reviews until I played the game myself. Once I've done that, only then will I take other's opinion on it into consideration.

True, but who cares about a score? Only obsessive fanboys who need a life. Buy, enjoy. Only thing that dissappoints me is the poor damage, but i can live with that.

I agree(too bad the worlds full of followers) but the score is much important as the majority of people use that as a foundation to base their game off. These websites have an underlining power with what they present, and it's horrible to see that taken advantage of. Takes way authenticity.

I have to disagree on that. Forza is not a fringe game the way the first Gran Turismo was. It wasn't some sleeper hit - it was created to capitalise on the demand for a racing simulator in the Microsoft market. The Forza name may not have the same pulling power as Gran Turismo, but do not underestimate its ability to sell units simply because it was made as a direct response to the GT series.

True, Midian, but Gran Turismo and Polyphony have to recognise the success of Forza and Turn 10. They simply cannot afford not to acknowledge Forza as a rival and competitor. It's a mistake that will cost them dearly.

I think this is especially true with the small install base of the PS3 compared to the PS2. Now they're competing more directly with Forza since they have to convince people to buy a PS3 rather than back with GT4 when a larger majority already owned a PS2.

saying the reviewers are: xbox`rs, non-racers, dont have "GT blood" is bullcrap.

Most people just dont want to see GT get low numbers since it would verify their fears (same for me :( )

Couldn't agree with you more (mostly on the second part).

I'm new to this forum, which is why I can say this so easily - there are far too many people on this site who pretend like they're not going to be disappointed by the flaws in gt5. Everyones hyped this game up so much and as such are ignoring the disgrace that is gt5.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; We're almost in 2011 and now have a game that's taken longer than 5 years with a budget of over 60 million.
This game is so flawed it's beyond pathetic.

- A damage model that first of all, sucks. Additionally, the damage model can't even be applied properly to all cars!
- Features such as weather only being applicable to some tracks and not all is disgraceful, much like the wheels and paints not being changeable on standards.
- An abismal car list with over 40 skylines and 100 mazdas, whilst having the audacity to leave out porsche and a host of other models/manufacturers

I knew this game would get around 8-9.5 (as most did), but I only think it deserves 8. PD are living in the past with their heads stuck in the sand. They have no excuses for putting out such an unfinished and out of date game. They need to listen to their fans for input on gt6 and get up to scratch.

Yeah, Top Gear it's uninspiring and Cape Ring is bland.

Really... I'll not read any crap like that. I know the game have flaws but if a guy doesn't know what the Top Gear track is, it can't review a proper racing game like GT5.

What they do want? a Wipeout track in GT5?

True, as good as forza is it wont sell one tenth what Gt5 will, Gt5 is not really competing with anything.

I think the business case pitched inside Microsofts' Online division is probably a bit more complicated than just retail sales. From a business perspective, if they can get a game that sells half as much (let's presume), but cost (probably much less than) half as much to develop, has 1/3rd of the opportunity cost from deploying the development team for a shorter period of time, delivers a large boost to pack-in console sales and MS branded wheels, produces a large bump in the attach rate to paid Xbox Live Gold membership, and sells a bunch of microsoft points spent on DLC, then GT5 has to work pretty hard for Sony to come out as successful a product, even if it does sell twice as well.

Who am I kidding? I'll still enjoy the shi** out of this game - especially rally, but I hate PD for being so incompetent. If it took to long to make premium cars, then hire more staff. They obviously didn't have a budget for the game so there's no restrictions there.

Get your head in the game PD.

I've got one last bone to pick.

Wtf is with the rolling starts!? Like 2% of races have rolling starts!

...yeah yeah, gt5 also has standing starts, but they should be 95% standing starts

EDIT: One more bone to pick. Though I hope this gets patched.

Eurogamer-
"The game's lack of a car classification system (less of an issue in the offline GT Mode than it used to be) means an unruly free-for-all that will soon stamp out the use of anything other than thousand-horse monsters. There's no persistence or reward for participating in multiplayer: no experience, no money, no ranking, not even points carried over consecutive races.

Polyphony was left behind by online gaming long ago, and it has a lot of catching up to do. The gulf to its upstart rival on the other console is wide indeed. Forza's marketplace for cars, paint jobs and tuning might not be GT's bag, but its brisk matchmaking and comprehensive time-trial leaderboards should be standard-issue in this genre. They're nowhere to be seen."

Last edited:
I've got one last bone to pick.

Wtf is with the rolling starts!? Like 2% of races have rolling starts!

...yeah yeah, gt5 also has standing starts, but they should be 95% standing starts
Without playing the game I dont know. However, in real life rolling starts are used for high powered race cars so they dont burn out their clutch and tires.

so Forza is really the definitive racing game this generation. Congrats to Turn 10. I was one of those who laughing at their comments. But, at the end, they were right.

Yeah, Top Gear it's uninspiring and Cape Ring is bland.

Really... I'll not read any crap like that. I know the game have flaws but if a guy doesn't know what the Top Gear track is, it can't review a proper racing game like GT5.

What they do want? a Wipeout track in GT5?

Since when is liking Top Gear a pre-requisite to liking cars? ;)

They dont have to say "Wow! The Top Gear track is awesome!".... people who like Top Gear will already know the track and will know whether they want a game with the track included. People who dont give a rat's arse about Top Gear will probably agree that its uninspiring.

I think people feel you must have some sort of passion to review GT5. Video game sites will review it as a *game*, I think its totally fair if there's a mix of reviewers who do and dont like sims reviewing the game. If you want the opinions of people who already love the GT series, read these forums, if you're looking for opinions of people who love racing sims, read ISR, racesimcentral, race department, etc. If you're looking for an opinion targetted at your average gamer, then read mainstream reviews.

so Forza is really the definitive racing game this generation. Congrats to Turn 10. I was one of those who laughing at their comments. But, at the end, they were right.

I think its just an example that PD was probably complacent in their own success, maybe even arrogant in thinking they couldnt be topped, and spread themselves too thin in too many areas. They were distracted by GTHD, Prologue and the PSP game, and on top of all that, tried to do too much with this game.

Turn 10 is talented and hungry, they create a realistic goal, keep it focused and tight, and execute it well in a reasonable amount of time. It's the example of how to make a game the right way. GT5 is a scatter brained project with inconsistent results.

I think GT6 will be much better, but I hope that Kaz swallows his pride, recognizes that he is now playing catch up, and I hope that lights a fire under his ass, gets him to set smaller, focused goals, and do them better than anyone ever has. He can do that, but he needs to change his approach I think.

Couldn't agree with you more (mostly on the second part).

I'm new to this forum, which is why I can say this so easily - there are far too many people on this site who pretend like they're not going to be disappointed by the flaws in gt5. Everyones hyped this game up so much and as such are ignoring the disgrace that is gt5.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; We're almost in 2011 and now have a game that's taken longer than 5 years with a budget of over 60 million.
This game is so flawed it's beyond pathetic.

- A damage model that first of all, sucks. Additionally, the damage model can't even be applied properly to all cars!
- Features such as weather only being applicable to some tracks and not all is disgraceful, much like the wheels and paints not being changeable on standards.
- An abismal car list with over 40 skylines and 100 mazdas, whilst having the audacity to leave out porsche and a host of other models/manufacturers

I knew this game would get around 8-9.5 (as most did), but I only think it deserves 8. PD are living in the past with their heads stuck in the sand. They have no excuses for putting out such an unfinished and out of date game. They need to listen to their fans for input on gt6 and get up to scratch.

All cars have mechanical damage, premium and standard, only difference is visual damage.
It's not PD fault that Porsche sold it's licensing rights to EA.
They have listened their fans, smoke, skidmarks, reverse lights, day and night, weather, and most importantly physics.
Nothing personal but your conclusions are patetic. Don't buy the game, play something else. No game will ever have all things that we want.
What's so unfinished and out dated about GT5?

I don't really pay attention to reviews, especially ones by those morons at IGN. If I want an opinion on a game I go to forums where it's the opinion of real gamers and not some halfwit journalist giving the most ridiculous reason for downrating a game or even worse ignoring the many faults of a game because they hyped it to death beforehand (see the Call of Duty series for that)

Dont feed the trolls, only an idiot says its outdated and unfinished. Almost every review states its the best driving game around, the rest IMo is just fluff. only real complaint is damage, standards being too poor. other then that, game is quality.

Dont feed the trolls, only an idiot says its outdated and unfinished. Almost every review states its the best driving game around, the rest IMo is just fluff. only real complaint is damage, standards being too poor. other then that, game is quality.

You are right, no more food for trolls

I think its just an example that PD was probably complacent in their own success, maybe even arrogant in thinking they couldnt be topped, and spread themselves too thin in too many areas. They were distracted by GTHD, Prologue and the PSP game, and on top of all that, tried to do too much with this game.

Turn 10 is talented and hungry, they create a realistic goal, keep it focused and tight, and execute it well in a reasonable amount of time. It's the example of how to make a game the right way. GT5 is a scatter brained project with inconsistent results.

I think GT6 will be much better, but I hope that Kaz swallows his pride, recognizes that he is now playing catch up, and I hope that lights a fire under his ass, gets him to set smaller, focused goals, and do them better than anyone ever has. He can do that, but he needs to change his approach I think.

polyphony digital playing catch up is an exagerated statement....

I challenge you to name me one console game which has :
- more realistic driving physics
- more realistic accurate tracks
- better nurburgring and le mans dynamic weather and day/night cycle
- better looking cars compared to premium cars in GT5
- better interior views compared to premium cars in GT5

If you cant (and you cant) than you should change your vision about GT5 playing catch up....

it is just that the best features of GT5 arent important to the mass market or most reviewers thats all...:)

Absolutely spot on 👍

It's look like the PD team just constantly change idea's and concepts for 5 years, and really started to make the game 9 months ago.

As a game, it's very good 17-18/20.

As a "Gt kind game" + fake promises + Delay, I find the 14/20 "french review" way too kind.

Oh yeah sick...smoke, skidmarks and reverse lights. Massive improvements!
Physics have obviously been very much improved.

I was unaware of the porsche licensing thing so my mistake on that.

I honestly don't think my conclusions are that pathetic, and are in fact, rational.

Getting a better car list is where PD need to listen to fans, instead Kaz has his own agenda where he has to fill it with as many japanese cars as possible. Who the hell wants to race a toyota yaris?! The car list (as well as graphics, I might add) is what I'm referring to as being outdated

Ok, they may have listened to fans about weather effects - but have they properly implemented it? It's disgraceful that tracks with weather effects are listed as a completely separate track. It should have been coded so that it was an option when beginning the race where you can choose rain, sunny or random etc. This way it can be applied to all tracks.

As for damage - yes mechanical damage occurs to both car types but the costmetic damage is noticeably different and useless on standard cars, why bother even having it if it's barely noticeable. A complete damage model is comprised of both mechanical damage and cosmetic damage.

This is where the game is incomplete and out of date. Only allowing features for certain tracks/car types is NOT up to scratch.

P.s, I will buy it and I won't be disappointed by the game, instead I'll be disappointed in PD.

I really don't understand why IGN don't like the GT sound track and layout of the menu game...

Well, i think it's show how different taste people have.

Back