GT5 Review scores (Update :Average metacritic score)

• Thread starter DoctorFouad
  • 1,417 comments
i think all the reviews both negatives and positives are good. i loved ign's review, very honest.
Kazanuri needs to hear these things instead of sitting pretty on his high horse in a bubble.

Many reviews have already confirmed that the physics is the best on console, thats why i am into it, the physics, i could care less about damage, i drive in gt like i do in real life so i will also respect the ai and other drivers making the game more challenging for me.

Hopefully they (PD and kazanuri) will take all the reviews to heart and not spend another 6 years and $60million to come out with GT6, if so Kazanuri should be fired, yeah i said it, hehehe

yes, the driving is great, but how can you say you dont care about damage ina sim? It is a HUGE part of racing to not be able to smack into cars like bumper cars all over the track, you SHOULD be punished for any crash, hitting other vehicles, it will happen no matter how good you are some time or another. Game is great, but i cant see how anyone who wants a sim experience can say they dont care about damage. Damage is a HUGE part of racing.

i think all the reviews both negatives and positives are good. i loved ign's review, very honest.
Kazanuri needs to hear these things instead of sitting pretty on his high horse in a bubble.
I agree 100%.

There is nothing wrong with the AI in this game. The sound is much better than ever and damage kicks in once you are at a higher level. Can't comment on collision physics because I try not to hit other cars.

I'm only going on the "bumper-cars" comment in the IGN review, since I haven't tried the game yet. Not too concerned about damage, as I try not to damage my car, but collision physics/sound/effects are important, because when you DO have contact with another car (which inevitably happens at some point) you don't want it to completely destroy the sense of immersion by being completely fake. I hope you're right about the AI. :nervous:

I just read ps3.ign.com's review. 8.5/10????? NFS: HP got a 9 and Forza 3 got a 9.4 which I don't get. Comparing to Forza I understand but NFS??? That's an arcade racer.

I can't say I would necessarily agree with those ratings, but you have to bear in mind that the reviews are GAME reviews, not SIM reviews.

A game can only be as good as it's worst features.

A game is reviewed on the sum of all parts. Forza 3 was mediocre in some aspect but it all worked together when looking at the complete package.

GT5 excels in some aspects but fails at others.

I agree 100%. I have never played FM2 or FM3, but even FM1, which I did play, was a better "complete package" than GT4 (although limited very seriously by the lack of a decent wheel). PD needs to end its obsession with graphics & spend a little more attention on other aspects of the game.

I think Polyphony really need to look at the games flaws DEEPLY, yes it is a brilliant game, but the fact remains that a game that took 5 YEARS to complete and cost $60 MILLION to develop should not have the flaws that are listed in the game. Nor should there be a disproportionate amount of Japanese cars compared to other brands, and even with the brands there are some inexcusable absences.

Far too many lists have never been bothered to be updated, for example we still have just one Panoz while other games have the LMP1, LMP07, Esparante, Elan, GT2, etc. and some are incomplete... how can you have Lamborghini without the Diablos?

Some of the racing categories featured are spread so thin, especially the Le Mans cars, yes, there are many, but they all fall into different classes... we have only a few real GT1/2 cars (Corvette, Viper + Panoz), we have a handfull of LMP1s that can REALISTICALLY compete with each other competitively (3x Pescarolos, 3x Audis, 2x Peugeots, 1x Bentley) and then we have Group C cars that are randomly sporadic through the era, only ONE of the famous Silk Cut Jaguars, only ONE Sauber, only ONE 905 but more than 5 Japanese entrants that have over inflated performance?

- Lack of FULL licenses, yes we have NASCAR and WRC... but where are the rest of the tracks, rallies, stages, sub categories etc. PD only seems to cover SuperGT in that depth and even then the GT300 class is left with alot of cars missing, no sign of the Shiden and no sign of the HSV 010.

- DTM cars havent been updated since GT4, even that it wasn't up to date, people don't just want one of each car/make, they want every team/driver. Incase PD didn't notice, DTM is a hell of alot more popular then SuperGT.

- Yes, we have two real F1 cars and one fictional, but incase PD haven't noticed, Ferrari are like the evil super villains of F1, they won't be too keen on a race with 12-16 of them! Renault are in the game yet their F1 cars are missing, same goes for McLaren, Mercedes and Toyota.

I am fully aware that i am heavily biased towards motorsport and couldn't care less for road cars

yes, the driving is great, but how can you say you dont care about damage ina sim? It is a HUGE part of racing to not be able to smack into cars like bumper cars all over the track, you SHOULD be punished for any crash, hitting other vehicles, it will happen no matter how good you are some time or another. Game is great, but i cant see how anyone who wants a sim experience can say they dont care about damage. Damage is a HUGE part of racing.

maybe some folks, like myself, dont want that much of a sim experience, i dont plan on crashing in real life, besides there are penalties for crashing, track position lost, time lost and sometimes an imposed time penalty.

I really don't want to say this being a lifetime GT fan, but I am feeling underwhelmed at the moment :(

The game just seems small compared to GT4. Just 5 sets of events and a few specials.

GT4 had separate events for nearly every make of car in the dealerships. There's nothing like that here.

It just doesn't seem as epic.

Also not sure about the online part. With most lobbys you have no idea what they are racing, what is the point in entering a lobby when you can't even see what restrictions are in place. If I go in there with a Honda Civic and everyone is racing supercars I'm hardly gonna do well. There should be specific lobbies for specific types of races.

I really don't want to say this being a lifetime GT fan, but I am feeling underwhelmed at the moment :(

The game just seems small compared to GT4. Just 5 sets of events and a few specials.

GT4 had separate events for nearly every make of car in the dealerships. There's nothing like that here.

It just doesn't seem as epic.

Also not sure about the online part. With most lobbys you have no idea what they are racing, what is the point in entering a lobby when you can't even see what restrictions are in place. If I go in there with a Honda Civic and everyone is racing supercars I'm hardly gonna do well. There should be specific lobbies for specific types of races.

too small? Can't say how any can complain about the size and content of the game. it is obvious PD had issues developing the game though, maybe Ps3 limitation.

Some reviewers didn't get the point.

If you play this game as it is meant to play : racing ; you won't destroy your car, you won't exploit the track or physics,...
I remember people moaning because of the penalities in GT5P, now they are gone, no that is a problem again.
chose for once.

And the Ai is good, as for the bumping into cars, you may, as driver, simply be too dumb to brake, then go online and make friends...

I played 9 hours yesterday and loved every minute about it. hell even strongly thinking about a nice bravia 40 hx 800 as it is in promotion now

maybe some folks, like myself, dont want that much of a sim experience, i dont plan on crashing in real life, besides there are penalties for crashing, track position lost, time lost and sometimes an imposed time penalty.

There aren't any penalties. I don't care about damage either but with the bumper car effect if you hit a wall you bounce right back on the track with hardly a loss of speed.

Again, this is laughable crashes happen in real life racing ALL THE TIME. being able to bumper car other cars all day is a MAJOR design issue.

a lot of things happen in real life. I DONT CARE ABOUT DAMAGE. why is that your problem, i already mention that it was a fair criticism in ign's review

what i eat dont make you ****

too small? Can't say how any can complain about the size and content of the game. it is obvious PD had issues developing the game though, maybe Ps3 limitation.

Well a total of around 50 events to Forza 3's 220 events is small.

GT4 had much more content. I'm an old gamer so no fanboy of forza over GT but I was hoping that GT would be even more epic than Forza. This appears not to be the case.

I am not knocking the game or trying to start any flame war. I like the game, its just not as epic as I was hoping :(

Also it has been stated that there are not any endurance events by people who have unlocked "Extreme"

The reviews are pretty much what I expected. What I read in them is something like "Perfect for ME. Because I don't care about the flaws I point out, because true realism just IS bland compared to fantasy tracks such as in NFS HP or the overexaggerated HDR in Forza and because it's already clear that no reviewer has gone really deep in this game. GT5 is hardcore and that's what we all want. And from what I read everywhere that's what it delivers. It's just not a game for everyone and therefore there are no 10/10 reviews.

If it did, _everyone_ would rush out to buy it, only to find that this game is not for them and be disappointed, to then complain to the review sites going like "WTF? You said this is brilliant but I don't like it!". Which would be bad for a mainstream place like IGN for example.

So... all in all I think there's nothing to complain about. The reviews simply acknowledge what I was hoping for: This game is hardcore.

2 hours before I pick it up. Woo hoo!

I think I can safely say a GT6 will be in the works down the pipeline to work on the issues, and extract even more from what they did with GT5. I think a GT6 is probably needed to recoup any development costs for GT5 and make a nice little profit for themselves.

But let's enjoy the Thanksgiving feast that is GT5.:)

On my tv , and in games in general, higher resolution is much better, and what they achieved no Forza or COD or any other can achive in two year cycle. Even Crysis on my PC with everything up to high doesn't look this photorealistic. I will quote my wife "wow, this looks photorealistic, not cartoony like that other racing game (Forza 3) that you play ".

It will look the same realistic at 720p.The reason why the game looks in 720p worse that in 1080p is just because game is made ONLY for 1080p mode and in 720p (or other) mode(s) game uses hardware bilinear filtering on textures to scale them down - that caused in blurry textures.Also even digital RPM gauge looks distorted at other than 1080p resolution.And worst of all PD didn't fix that. :indiff:
I mean why the game looks so realistic is not depended on resolution.It's game graphics engine build that way.

I have not played the game yet. It's currently sitting here on my desk at work. I will love this game for sure and will be playing it for months and years on after. But please tell me, after all the hype and the massive budget in this game, why does this game have these overwhelming flaws? I mean from what i've read some cars look like GT2 CARS!? GT2!!?? And the tracks also!? Now the damage is not fully up to snuff and the sounds i've heard aren't all that great. I mean from the way KAZ was talking how it was comparable to the Apollo space project, you would think the game would be perfect. I guess the reviews further confirm that the game did not live up to its own hype.

REGARDLESS, I CANNOT WAIT TO FIRE IT UP AFTER WORK!

I'm asking myself, "Why did I even bother looking in this thread?:lol:" Even if they give GT5 a 1/100000, I will still enjoy it for more than a couple of years. Even GT5 prologue lasted 1 1/2 years on me. IMO no one can beat GT's replay value when it comes to driving game, and that's what matters to me most.

You guys are all forgetting that we live in a world of downloadable updates. I fully expect that PD will be listening to it's customers and updating the game, fixing some of these issues as time goes on.

There might not be a GT6 because if you think of it ECONOMICALLY from a BUSINESS point of view, GT5 has taken 5 years and cost $60 million to make, if reviews aren't good and the sales don't live up to hopes then Sony may decide that such a costly game with such a lengthy development time might not be viable for them from a business perspective.

Think of it, what would you rather have? A promising new exclusive title or a franchise in its 5th instalment thats cost a hell of a lot more? Chief execs in Sony won't be 100% clued up on gaming and won't take a good view on this, sounds very ridiculous but the axe may loom for GT if the sales aren't good/profitable.

The only review I care about is mine.Dissapointing scores to be honest but can't believe the game got released.

I just had to share this Metacritic User Review. It's ****ing hilarious.

ForzaFanboy.jpg

The more sim like GT becomes the greater the disparity between those who get it and those who don't.

This will be especially true as we've now reached a stage were further iterations will be more evolution than revolution.

There might not be a GT6 because if you think of it ECONOMICALLY from a BUSINESS point of view, GT5 has taken 5 years and cost $60 million to make, if reviews aren't good and the sales don't live up to hopes then Sony may decide that such a costly game with such a lengthy development time might not be viable for them from a business perspective.

Think of it, what would you rather have? A promising new exclusive title or a franchise in its 5th instalment thats cost a hell of a lot more? Chief execs in Sony won't be 100% clued up on gaming and won't take a good view on this, sounds very ridiculous but the axe may loom for GT if the sales aren't good/profitable.
WOW, you guys exaggerate much? A few million is all it needs to make a profit, it will do that ina couple weeks, geez relax. Gt6 will be made and is already being worked on.

I have big hopes that the will be more features introduced, more events maybe.:scared: aft all in the big list of game details that was released it did mention hat there will be a patch to introduce remote racing sometime December, there may still be hope.

Also, if anything: the criticism on GT5 of which a lot does hold truth, will be a perfect TODO list to make GT6 a 10/10 title. (Obvious stuff like all cars premium, better sound, visual tweaks, better online experience w. matchmaking, car matching etc.)

While PD works all criticism into GT6 I'm gonna have a blast with GT5 :D

WOW, you guys exaggerate much? A few million is all it needs to make a profit, it will do that ina couple weeks, geez relax. Gt6 will be made and is already being worked on.

Yes some profit will be good, but Sony are relying on this to gain BIG profits, its widely known that all developers have targets to sell, and i'd imagine GT5's being astronomically high.

Another thing ive noticed is that the opinion on the internet is completely different to that away from the computer, generally, if you look on your facebook, go out ask your friends who bought it and see all the empty shelves in the stores, you'll know that this game has done well... its actually just clicked that Microsoft is relying solely on internet trolling and backhanders to combat GT5, lets just hope PD take the criticism on the chin and strive for PROPER perfection and greater depth next time... I wonder what i'd have to do to make suggestions in person to PD on the motorsports front.

Back