GT5 worse than demo versions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NSX>GOD
  • 41 comments
  • 3,245 views
Messages
243
Messages
acdcru
So I've been looking at a few videos of early builds of gt5, and it seems as if some aspects are actually better than the final product.

Is it just in my head, or does this iteration of the nordschleife look better graphically? The lake visible at the start, much more varied foliage and tree models, and generally more picturesque views throughout? (watch in full screen): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmx9QITCfyY

and in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1V7b_cSvkE , at the second chicane, pay attention to how the audi r8 reacts to the collision from the lamborghini miura; it seems a far more natural and dramatic reaction than we could expect to see in the final product. The damage on the r8 after the collision is also more dramatic and noticeable. On the final game you have to hit your car against walls for ages until it starts to look so beaten up. I have seen another demo video of a gallardo where the same thing is evident.

Also all the demo videos, do the graphics also looks slightly better, especially the background, trees and scenery?

Finally, some aspects of gt5 prologue, such as the noise of wind in convertible cars never made it to gt5.

So my question is: Am I imagining this? And if not, why would they have made the game slightly worse? Memory/hardware issues? Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Graghics dont look any better slightly worse IMO. Maybe you have not set up your tv and ps3 to be at there best.
 
Graghics dont look any better slightly worse IMO. Maybe you have not set up your tv and ps3 to be at there best.

are you taking into account that that the video is bad quality? just look at the detail of the environments.. it seems better. And I run gt5 in 1080p
 
are you taking into account that that the video is bad quality? just look at the detail of the environments.. it seems better. And I run gt5 in 1080p

Dont you tink that comment is a bit of a contradiction, and no still thinks is worse.
 
I agree with you, the GT demo where pretier than the final version, no jaggy shadows, no pixelisation during rain races, and maybe a few more details.

For those who want to be convinced, look at the E3 trailer and after play GT5, there is a difference...
 
his video for you lazy people






I think Kaz just has a Better TV then you
 
Last edited:
GT5 prologue has better textures and graphics, fact!

Blame 16 cars and weather, something had to give!
 
Dont you tink that comment is a bit of a contradiction, and no still thinks is worse.

lol how is it a contradiction.. the video quality of the youtube video is bad, but you can still see that details, scenery and textures in the game are better, sorry if you're blind

what about opinions on the second video's collision??
 
you can really notice it with the corvette speedometer,it almost looks foggy in GT5
 
I don't care so much about the graphics (they look pretty good to me), but IMO, the physics were better in the Academy Demo than in GT5.

The grip limit was much more clearly defined in the demo, and you could find the limit and sit right on it. In GT5, the cars feel like they are sliding to some extent all the time... just doesn't feel as good in my opinion.
 
I don't care so much about the graphics (they look pretty good to me), but IMO, the physics were better in the Academy Demo than in GT5.

The grip limit was much more clearly defined in the demo, and you could find the limit and sit right on it. In GT5, the cars feel like they are sliding to some extent all the time... just doesn't feel as good in my opinion.

yeah I never said graphics weren't good, just thought it was interesting that they seem to be slightly worse. I love the game. But that's an interesting point on the physics.. I never played the academy demo so I can't really comment on it.
 
The graphics look a little worse than the final product IMO. And to a previous poster, GT5's graphics are better than GT5 prologue. Fact.
 
That's what I thought the first time I saw that video. It seemed like it really was better overall. It might be because of the angle the sun is at. Do you guys notice jagged shadows?
 
It wouldn't surprise me if the pre-release videos are better than the finished product, I mean look at a concept car and then what that car becomes when produced. The neon-lit interior is suddenly a sea of black and grey plastic, the 19" carbon fibre wheels are replaced with 16", generic looking alloys, the crazy, intricate headlights are replaced with parts bin items, all done to cut costs of production and repair.

Basically what I mean is when you're building something you may put too much into it, then when you have to run it on production hardware (I don't know what the differences between a dev and home PS3 console are) you might find that you don't have the same amount of RAM or the hard drive will be slower, so on and so forth. Kind of like how you have the idealistic game with smooth shadows, then the realistic game which has to have jaggy shadows because smooth shadows can't be done, like how you have the idealistic car with a HUD and a subwoofer the size of the boot, but the realistic one which says a HUD is too expensive and people like having a boot to put shopping in.

Add to that the fact that PD and Kaz have said that GT5 is a derivative of a much more detailed engine so that when it comes to the PS4 most of the groundwork has already been laid, then they lowered the settings (like a PC game, I'm guessing) so it can run on a PS3. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if PD have a far, far better looking version of GT5 at their office. In fact, didn't they do a demo of that 4ksomething super turbo high-definition standard a few years back with 'GT5'?
 
neema_t, your point is spot on.
+1
And as for physics, GT5's physiscs is better than in GT5 Academy demo and can't really compare to GT5:Prologue (I've played all 3 games).
The Ring version Kaz uses there was a version without crowd and added scenery, it just looks cleaner - the graphics look the same to me.
I'd like to know what they play it on.
 
anyone have any thoughts on the lambo r8 collision in the second video?
 
There was a comparison article floating around a while back for GT4 HD demo versus GT5 Prologue and GT5, basically the GT4 looked better because the 1080p mode was being scaled from a 1440x1080 source output, whereas GT5 is being scaled from 1280x1080 to 1920x1080. Comparing 720p GT5 to 1080p GT5 is only a 50% increase in resolution, whereas if it was rendered natively at 1920x1080 then it would be a 125% increase. The GT4 HD demo though was very limited and optimized for a specific track and conditions so at the limitations of the PS3 hardware, the GT5 reduction made sense.
 
I played the GT5 demo in a store and found out a few things:
1. You can't draft in the demo
2. The damage is a million times better in the demo (except for the GT Citroën)
3. The physics is a million times better (you can ram cars)
4. This is a 2010 demo and some of the GT5 stuff such as : GTHome, Racing Soft tires instead of R3, menu placement weren't there so in 2010 Pholyphony didn't really Finnish the game really.
 
I'm surprised people are surprised. PD are trying to sell an expensive game. They went to an ad agency. The agency tarted up a bit of video to make you want it. It happens with any product. Ad life V real life....:lol:
 
I played the GT5 demo in a store and found out a few things:
1. You can't draft in the demo
2. The damage is a million times better in the demo (except for the GT Citroën)
3. The physics is a million times better (you can ram cars)
4. This is a 2010 demo and some of the GT5 stuff such as : GTHome, Racing Soft tires instead of R3, menu placement weren't there so in 2010 Pholyphony didn't really Finnish the game really.
I knew it. I just knew it. 2, 3. I wonder what the next update's going to have. It has to be enormous.
 
It seems like it's different. Don't cars just slide away for the most part? and it might have been because the Miura front end is so low and R8 back end so wide.
 
I played the Best Buy demo multiple times before and after GT5 proper came out, and I really don't think the damage in the final game compares.
 
OK sorry for the mistake the video is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1V7b_cSvkE and I have edited the OP. Please thoughts on the collision at the second chicane

Seems more realistic than the finished product. It was probably binned along with all Premiums having body panels fall off. I really wish they'd left those awful concrete barriers out on Monza. If you make a mistake your straight in a wall, when you should be able to recover. You can't even weave between them on the escape road, because you end up on the grass.👎
 
I remember the Best Buy demo had the correct engine noise for the Ferrari Enzo.
In the full GT5 it sounds like a Civic.
 
I agree with you, the GT demo where pretier than the final version, no jaggy shadows, no pixelisation during rain races, and maybe a few more details.

For those who want to be convinced, look at the E3 trailer and after play GT5, there is a difference...

Uhh, the demos had jaggy shadows and pixelation also...
 
I noticed that the GT5 Demo had much better looking sparks than the final version.






Start @ 1:22 in the video to see the sparks.
 
Back