GT5P demo is one of the most visually distracting games I have ever played.

• Thread starter nafai23
  • 45 comments
For the record, I did and still do drool over the TGS and other game show videos.
I am just blown away by the praise for this demo in the graphics department.
I wrote something earlier about it and was flamed for it so I went back and put in a few more hours with it.
The v-sync problem is just terrible. Everytime I make my first pass on the first turn the car I pass looks like the top half of the car moves before the bottom.
As picky as gamers are about the frame rate I cannot believe people are using the term 60fps. It is a choppy mess unless I am alone on the track. Add in the v-sync and darkness problems and I just cannot stand it.

PD did beautiful work on the game and I am loving so many things about it but it is just not ready to be played yet.
I am just shocked at peoples opinions....
This game feels better, drives better and has more love put into it than forza.
No way this game is as smooth and immersive though yet. I could not believe how smooth it felt after playing the GT5P demo.
I just think it is important to fix these things and not be OK with them.
I love the game and I love PD.
I just want the final product to be the best it can be.

Have you tried a different tv set, just for checking? It may well be that the tv is the problem of those visual distractions.

I have tried alot of things with my set....it is the same set being used at the Tokyo motor show right now......Sony XBR2...

Honestly I would be satisfied with just a v-sync fix....
Playing right now and when cars pass the v-snyc messes up.

I absolutely agree. The cars in the showroom are annoying. I haven't noticed much during the races.

Without deviating from the topic too much, since B-Specing became available, I don't race near as much as I did in GT1 thru GT3. Thus becoming a collector and admirer of my garage. This makes the whole v-sync issue very important to me.

R.

You have to understand something, Nafai... the reason many of us don't agree with you is because we quite literally are not having the same problem. Believe me, I know what tearing and choppy framerates look like, and GT5PD does NOT do that for me, not at the level you're describing. Even when I'm looking for it, it doesn't show it's ugly head that badly.

Yes, I see some tearing.. mostly when looking at cars in the showroom. Only once.. ONCE.. has there been screen tearing in-game, and it was so minor that I probably wouldn't have seen it at all if I hadn't been looking for it. And the only framerate problems I've seen are in the first few seconds of the race, when it's still in replay mode, before the race itself even begins. During racing, it's been rock-steady.

So, that means that one of two things are happening:

1) There's something wrong with your system, the interface with the TV, or your copy of the game is somehow corrupted.

In order to test the last one, you'll need to erase and re-download the demo. As for the TV interface, simply telling us the model of the TV doesn't tell us anything. What is it's native resolution? What resolution is the game running at? How do you have it connected? What sort of signal does the TV indicate it's receiving? Is the game being scaled? If so, where? At the TV or in the PS3?

Or, 2) You're being nitpicky about things that the rest of us can't even see.

I encounter no Vsync issue. I thought by now it is a known fact that the FPS is not a constant 60fps.

I use a HD CRT set running 1080i.

nafai23... you say you can't believe people really like the way the demo looks... which means it sounds like you have read the threads specifically made to discuss people's opinions about the game... and you even say you already posted before on this subject... so can you tell me why you felt the need to start yet another thread on the exact same subject? Or is it that you felt you had to get your message out loud and clear, and creating your own thread would do that for you?

I'm in no position to say you were wrong to do that, but I find that your motives appear to be some what intentional, but not revealed.

I will erase and redownload.
I am at 1080p on Sony XBR2
GTHD looks breathtaking on this setup.

Most of the problems I have look like what happens when you turn v-snyc off on a PC game.
When I go back to Forza 2 it is drastically smoother and no V-sync issues
GTHD is smooth as butter and everything just looks better.
(i am not claiming forza is better in any way, just making a technical comparison)

That's a worthless "technical comparison", simply because Forza 2 is actually a completed game. GT5 won't be out for at least a year, probably more. Polyphony is the only company I'm aware of that's released a public demo of a game so long before release.

All in all, IMO you are making MUCH too big of a complaint for an issue that is minor. Don't forget, it's just a game, just a demo even. But even so.....I mean common, it's not going to kill you.

When I go back to Forza 2 it is drastically smoother and no V-sync issues
I don't understand myself. Forza 2 looks about as bad with tearing and has many more issues with slow framerates.

I have seen some flaws in replays myself, but minor ones. I'm running at 1080i on an HD CRT TV also. I use Rocketfish component cable.

All in all, IMO you are making MUCH too big of a complaint for an issue that is minor. Don't forget, it's just a game, just a demo even. But even so.....I mean common, it's not going to kill you.

I agree that people are making way too big a fuss about the glitches in this demo...... for a FREE demo it really is awesome...

I guess that most of us are looking at the big picture and hoping that some of these glitches will not appear in the final version!

I for one only hope that the screen tearing is fixed.... because it is not an issue with GTHD which was more polished... but this demo is hit quite badly with it which just takes the shine off the otherwise excellent quality.... and i truly believe it has nothing to do with our displays as 99% of ppl on this forum have complained about it... the other 1% probably are not looking ;)
but as mentioned it could be a product of the demo also being reduced in size to get it out to the masses.... guess we'll see in a few months time!

anyway that is my 2cents worth....

Okay, I want to state some general things about this issue:

I find it absolutely okay to discuss this matter. The question of whether it was worth a new thread is not to be judged by me, but now we have it, we can try to solve the problem.

I do believe nafai that he does have that tearing problem. However, I also believe that it is an issue of the setup, rather than a general problem with this demo. For that purpose, I recommend to try some alternative settings (if possible) with lower resolutions, interlaced pictures or another HDMI cable, (given you use HDMI) or even another tv. HDTV can be very tricky, and sometimes, a minor setting, a bad cable or just some components that refuse to work together can make a major difference.

Regards
the Interceptor

It does seem a bit harsh to jump all over his guy for saying he has a problem. He specifically says he's not claiming Forza 2 is better (and what's the big deal even if he did). He's just letting us know that his screen works well with other games and even another console.

So, on the topic: I and apparently many others don't get this v-sync problem. How did you get on after re-downloading? Which type of connection are you using?

It's not harsh. This guy blames the game, before he even checked if the problems might be caused by his own setup. So he looks more like a flamer to me.

I don't really want to start defending someone I don't know from Adam, but if I had GT HD working fine and GT5 P demo looked pants I'd start wondering why people were going nuts about it.

Given the above it's hard to imagine that it's a set-up problem, surly there's got to be some problem with the download.

Anyway, I'm off to enjoy the demo for myself.........

Given the above it's hard to imagine that it's a set-up problem, surly there's got to be some problem with the download.
I'd say the exact opposite to be honest. If the download is faulty, it is highly likely it won't run at all. In reverse, a flawlessly running demo that "only" has a tearing issue is extremely unlikely to be faulty in terms of the raw data. Therefore, I'd start to look at the setup of PS3 and tv and the connecting cables.

Regards
the Interceptor

I'd say the exact opposite to be honest. If the download is faulty, it is highly likely it won't run at all. In reverse, a flawlessly running demo that "only" has a tearing issue is extremely unlikely to be faulty in terms of the raw data. Therefore, I'd start to look at the setup of PS3 and tv and the connecting cables.

Regards
the Interceptor

There are an aweful lot of people (myself included) suffering from tearing problems with gt5p demo (mostly on the showroom screens) and we have all commented on the fact that GTHD does not present the same tearing on the same showroom screens...... and that we have also changed res from 480p, 576p (pal) to 720p to 1080i to 1080p and the problem remains....!!?

so in conclusion it seems obvious (to me anyway) that this has to be a glitch with the demo..... and do not think for a minute that i am trying to defame this game! I for one love all gt games and always will..... as previously mentioned this hiccup simply takes the shine off an otherwise awesome demo and i prey that this is only because of what they tried to cram into 700 odd meg.......

...GTHD looks breathtaking...GTHD is smooth as butter and everything just looks better...
Agree 100%

I think PD was a little too modest with 16 cars on track and the visuals DO suffer for it, of course just IMHO.

I think the game actually plays fantastic, but there are a LOT of visual issues.

Yes I have tried reinstalled..
different hdmi cables....
Different settings on the PS3
Changing my TV settings to the point where everything else looks terrible.

I love the game and will be the first inline but everyone who says it runs "flawless" or sees no problems on a run around the track is not seeing what I am seeing or just has really low standards.

In my opinion GTHD was the best looking game I have ever seen.
The GTP5 videos from various shows look terrific.
Numerous people have commented on the darkness, v-sync, and frame rates.
It is not my system after a reinstall.

Let's all cry and whine over a demo of a portion of a game that's due out in another 12 months.

Seriously folks, get a grip, you're really not making an impact, and your posts here are nothing more than worthless if you're complaining about this crap. Go hit the crybaby thread here:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99225

Your tears will be bitterly accepted there, and you can all pretend to be apathetic.

lolz...seriously.

Considering that the last full release Polyphony gave us had screen shake out the wazoo, I think its definitely something to be concerned about.

I love the game and will be the first inline but everyone who says it runs "flawless" or sees no problems on a run around the track is not seeing what I am seeing or just has really low standards.
It is quite possible that you have high standards for a demo. I have some tearing, and some of the issues you mention, but I had to look for them. They weren't something to a degree that made think the demo was suddenly horrible.

You are going off on it as if this were the finished version of the game and is not living up to its promise. All they promised was seven cars on Suzuka with a Tokyo Motor Show tie-in. TADA!!! That is what you have.

In my opinion GTHD was the best looking game I have ever seen.
And it was fnished and polished, which a demo is not.

The GTP5 videos from various shows look terrific.
Yep, videos from a nearly finished display version, not a downsized demo.

Numerous people have commented on the darkness, v-sync, and frame rates.
It is not my system after a reinstall.
Yet, only you act as if you got ripped off by a couple of hundred dollars on a promised finished product, which is not what you have.

Why do people say the game looks good? Because even with what are most likely demo related issues it does. It looks like a quality game with stuff toned down for size purposes to make it a reasonable online download.

If you doubt that might be the case then think about this: This demo was just over 700mb. The Evolution X GT TV video was around 650 mb and it was only ten minutes long. That is what kind of size issues you get on a perfectly polished HD quality image. That is why the final game will require Blu-Ray.

Basically you are judging it by a standard that should be held to a final version of a game. You aren't even judging it as if it were a demo of a final version of the game. You need to take a second and look at what you have for what you gave in both price and download time. I haven't spent this much time or had this much fun with a 1.5gb final version demo.

I do not feel ripped off nor did I say that....
But that's how you come off is what I am saying. What you feel and how you sound in your posts may be different, but you seem to be as critical as if you had paid for the game. I'd hate to see how negative you are if a finished game has problems.

Well what size do you think prologue will be?

Cannot be that much bigger file size...
It will definitely be bigger than a CD. It should be well over a gig. I mean, one level of Ratchet and Clank is about 1.1gb and many other one level or less demos have been close or over 1.5gb. Actually many of us are surprised this is as small as it is.

Let's look at it: 1 track and 7 cars = +700mb
5 tracks and 60 cars, with finishing done on the graphics, probably much, much bigger. And then if they do include the Home interface in Prologue it will add even more to the interface program. I would guess at easily 1.5gb, but I would feel safer saying 2gb.

Back