GT5P demo is one of the most visually distracting games I have ever played.

• Thread starter nafai23
  • 45 comments
I recall in a interview just after TGS KY stated the TGS version of GT5P weighed in about 4.5gb and that is not even the full version yet, though I do believe they will get it smaller than that most likely in the end.

I recall in a interview just after TGS KY stated the TGS version of GT5P weighed in about 4.5gb and that is not even the full version yet, though I do believe they will get it smaller than that most likely in the end.
The only reason why I was shooting under that is because Home isn't out yet and that seems ridiculous to download, but if that is so then wow.

Speaking of files sizes, it's remarkable how much can be done in programming compared to pre-rendered video. As a comparison, the 10-min HD video on the new Lancer Evo X that is available for download on GT-TV is nearly the same size (640MB) as both GT:HD (632-690MB) and GT5:P Demo (736MB)... and despite the cries out over the demo not achieving a full 1920 lines of horizontal resolution in order to fit 1080p, it's still remarkable how they can program these graphic engines to do so much in so little amount of space...

Little of course being a relative term, as the demo is still larger than a CD-ROM, and larger than the file sizes of some PS2 and Xbox games.

That being said, games are already exceeding the single DVD size limit of 7GB (actual game data). Resistance: Fall of Man was 16GB, or equivalent to three DVDs, the sound file alone on Heavenly Sword is 10GB :eek:, and Konami is already saying Metal Gear Solid 4 is likely going to need a 50GB Blu-ray disc for it's release.

How big will GT5:P or GT5 be? I have no idea, but obviously games on DVD are indeed going the same way as games on CD did when the PS2 and Xbox came out.

just want to put in my 2 cents.

I hsve no visual issues, no tearing, no v-sync, the game just plays like normal.

and Digital, you are one cool mofo.

I hsve no visual issues, no tearing, no v-sync, the game just plays like normal.
YIKES! You must be lucky. I mean, I do have occasional tearing and pretty rare framing, but it doesn't poke me in the eye or anything. I think some people must be really picky.

From all indications of people's experience with the 3 track demo making the rounds of shows and conventions, Prologue should be pretty much glitch free. Now if it would only hurry up and get here...

Speaking of files sizes, it's remarkable how much can be done in programming compared to pre-rendered video. As a comparison, the 10-min HD video on the new Lancer Evo X that is available for download on GT-TV is nearly the same size (640MB) as both GT:HD (632-690MB) and GT5:P Demo (736MB)... and despite the cries out over the demo not achieving a full 1920 lines of horizontal resolution in order to fit 1080p, it's still remarkable how they can program these graphic engines to do so much in so little amount of space...
Not really no.. In my book at least.. The cars takes so very very little space. Even a huge spaceship modelled in 3D Studio takes very little space. Easily a lot less than a single Mb. This is bar the textures that would be needed for a huge spaceship to represent impacts from space debris, dirt, Company signs which can take up an insane amount of space. But the model itself, even with guns et al modelled, doesn't take very much space. + it compresses to a high level with ease. Something the textures does not. But since the majority of the cars in GT5 will be uniform in color, this doesn't add much to size either, as everything like reflections etc. will be handled by the graphics engine... Text etc. for car data and the like, also compresses to a high degree.
So what is really taking up space - is textures and audio which doesn't compress very well if you want to keep the quality up..

But how big the Graphics engine itself will be - I have NO idea, whatsoever.. Though - Come to think of it - I doubt it'll suck up much more than 5Mb at the most... <- Purely speculation based on my profession, so it's probably way off...

Same here I'm not experiencing those v-sync issues during the race, the only place I see minor v-sync issues are in the showroom, but I believe it'll be fixed cause GTHD as no v-sync issues in the showroom (for me atleast ). If GTHD being an earlier release then GT5P finally ver should look better.

Not really no.. In my book at least.. The cars takes so very very little space. Even a huge spaceship modelled in 3D Studio takes very little space. Easily a lot less than a single Mb. This is bar the textures that would be needed for a huge spaceship to represent impacts from space debris, dirt, Company signs which can take up an insane amount of space. But the model itself, even with guns et al modelled, doesn't take very much space. + it compresses to a high level with ease. Something the textures does not. But since the majority of the cars in GT5 will be uniform in color, this doesn't add much to size either, as everything like reflections etc. will be handled by the graphics engine... Text etc. for car data and the like, also compresses to a high degree.
So what is really taking up space - is textures and audio which doesn't compress very well if you want to keep the quality up..

But how big the Graphics engine itself will be - I have NO idea, whatsoever.. Though - Come to think of it - I doubt it'll suck up much more than 5Mb at the most... <- Purely speculation based on my profession, so it's probably way off...

Kinda like magic tricks. they are really cool and impressive until you figure out how they are done.

Just more proof that sound is probably a lot better in Prologue

Im lost here, someone is crying over a demo version of a demo? Are you serious? Take it easy guy, it's definately not a finished game, and was pretty much a hurried thing. Sure the demo has issues, such as a stuttery framerate when more than 5 cars converge onscreen, some artifacting(seen that once). The goods are also in force, like how inside the car, it has 6 way positional audio, as always very indicative tire sounds, very good engine sounds, and it's still just a demo of a demo.

About the size of this demo, it's fairly large and that's just 7 cars and one course, mind you none of the cars can be tuned, the final product will no doubt be gargantuan, especially if built in full HD resolution.

All I know is this is the most entertaining demo of a driving game I have ever played, using the G25 from the cockpit is a Godsend. I definately have high hopes for the final GT5 Prolugue and even higher for GT5, i think it will no doubt deliver.

Where are those people who grip about the Ai? They all seemed to have vanished into obscurity, lol.

I dont have any vsync problems at all. Played the demo at home and at a couple of friends on other TV/Beamers and now problems what so ever. The only problem are the frame drops, but i'm sure PD will fix that before the final release of GT5:Prologue

It's weird because i have none of the problems anyone mentioned above, everything is uber smooth here (720p btw)

Just my 2 cents worth... As you've probably seen in other threads, I also have some pretty bad video issues. Nothing wrong with the PS3 the download (I've redone it) or the projector, it is definitely an issue with the demo.

The contrast is so overdone it ruins the game. GTHD on the other hand looks absolutely beautiful.

I also get frame rate issues in turns with a lot of AI cars on the screen. It definitely drops below 30fps on occasion, but it is only for a second or two at the most.

I don't have any video tearing issues at all.

I've also noticed that some other games on the PS3 have ugly "too harsh" and "tearing" shadows, so maybe there is something lame about the PS3's shadowing engine.

But, I think it is obvious with the number of people that are having problems that there is something wrong somewhere in this demo. But hey, it *is* only a demo, maybe they just pushed it out the door too soon...

The contrast is so overdone it ruins the game.
I think I know what you're talking about. It's actually the tone mapping that does that, as the game engine attempts to crush the HDR imagery down into a LDR picture that your TV can display. They had similar problems in GTHD, where certain sections of the track would be too dark if you were facing a certain direction, because of how the game was trying to compensate for the lighting. In GTHD, I would correct it by tapping the rear-view button, as the lighting would correct itself when it blipped back to the front view.

This is a new feature, so I would guess it's still a work in progress.

panjandrum
I've also noticed that some other games on the PS3 have ugly "too harsh" and "tearing" shadows, so maybe there is something lame about the PS3's shadowing engine.
The system itself doesn't have a shadowing engine.. hehe. The problem comes from the resolution of the shadow maps that the graphics engine is generating. If they're too low, then it becomes a jaggy mess, as in GT5PD. Considering that certain cars in the demo feature much cleaner shadow maps than others, I'm going to say that this is also a work in progress, that the maps will need to be tuned specifically for each car.

panjandrum
But, I think it is obvious with the number of people that are having problems that there is something wrong somewhere in this demo. But hey, it *is* only a demo, maybe they just pushed it out the door too soon...
Too soon? hehe.. Remember that even Prologue itself is an early build of the final GT5. I have no doubt we'll see some moderate improvement between now and Prologue, and I imagine we'll see dramatic improvement between Prologue and GT5.

It's weird because i have none of the problems anyone mentioned above, everything is uber smooth here (720p btw)

Evryone has them,they are just very rare, and you may get the impression that because people notice them they are evrywhere, but the lack of Vsync is there whenever the framerate drops, again. it's very very rare.

So, I'm not bashing or 'crying' as others have purported, I just have a studdering showroom. Nothing at all like GTHD smoothness. That's my only point. I plan on moving my PS3 to the livingroom and try it out on my Samsung DLP large screen. Fingers crossed.

Back