GT6 crashing my 80GB Fat, driving me insane.

• Thread starter rambo793
  • 46 comments
Or it's a BMW. ;)

Haha.

My neighbor bought a BMW 335i convertible a few years ago (that's the one with the N54 twin-turbo I6), he loved it to death but unfortunately he decided to sell it because he had replaced the high pressure fuel pump three times in just 50k miles.

I've got both a fatty and the newest slim, and have no problem with GT6 on either one. In fact, my fatty sees more GT6 play than the slim.

but I have had just one issue with it since I put an SSD in it. Sometimes it won't boot and brings up a message that the OS or HDD isn't found and I have to power if off and then on again. It doesn't happen too often, once a week or so.

Jerome
If you have a Fat PS3 it only supports SATA I, most new drivers come as SATA II or III, Fat PS3's don't like this and can give you problem above, a lot of drives will have a jumper to force it into SATA I mode, if you do this, your problem will go.

Leigh
I have a PRE-ORDER 60GB with a 500GB HDD running fine.

^ Ah, good to know. It's not frequent enough that I care, plus the PS3 is near the end of it's life cycle anyway.

Jerome

Sorry to bump thread, but I have a slim model from 2010 and GT6 crashes on a pre-race menu. When I try to enter a race, there is no background music playing, and whenever I leave the game or shut off my system, it beeps three times. I tried rebuilding the database and cleaning the copy with Windex, but nothing seems to work. Any help?

Sorry to bump thread, but I have a slim model from 2010 and GT6 crashes on a pre-race menu. When I try to enter a race, there is no background music playing, and whenever I leave the game or shut off my system, it beeps three times. I tried rebuilding the database and cleaning the copy with Windex, but nothing seems to work. Any help?
What GB version is it? From my understanding, the lesser sizes were a little more unreliable than the rest when it came to build quality, and suffered the fait of the Ur-PS3's.

I own an 80Gb fatboy its crashed about 3 times since I got it in 2007. And never with GT6 I guess I'm lucky.
Just a Question, If you are experiencing crashing issues with your fatty how many of you left them on for hours/days
on end playing GT5 B-spec enduros grinding up PPs.
I hope they don't re-introduce B-spec or PPs in GT6.

I am having exactly the same issue. It is since the latest update with the Senna Retrospective. It worked ok for a few days but now It locks up after clicking on the chequered flag to enter the race. It doesnt matter whether it is a special event of part of the standard races.

I bought my ps3 in 2010. I think it is the 320GB version. I have not had any real problem with the machine, which mostly get used daily for playTV.

I have deleted the game data through the GT6 options menu. I have not deleted the games data through the XMB though. But when I look a the game date in the XMB game menu, there are tow entries for GT6??? One for GT6 (UK) and one for GT6. Is this correct? (I am from the UK)

Any help would be awesome. Help which leads to me being able to complete academy would be doubly awesome.

Peter

I own a fat PS3 which i also bought it in 2009 and when i got GT6 before it officially release it works perfectly until one time (before they release the first update) it crashes couple times until they released the v1.01 update then no crash ever happened to me again.

Well I have a problem as well but it isn't quite the same as rambo793, before I got the 1.07 update with the new BMW vision, I had problems where I couldn't join a online lobby, game freezes, music stops playing when joining in the lobby and other problems and when I updated the 1.07 update, I thought it wasn't loading and I turned off my ps3 (which was a dumb idea). Then I left it on over night and 1.07 is finally installed, ever since then everything worked and everything was working again but ever since I got 1.08 with Aryton Senna stuff, I had the same problem again with game freezes and the rotating the car after you installed a custom aero kit or wheels in custom parts and paint as well. I can load up my game to the main menu but I can't join lobbies, the music stops playing but I can hear people with the mics its just that i'm stuck at the part after it is done loading joining the server (before the racing flag with the loading bar) and its frozen at the lobbies list. I don't want to delete my stuff again to restore the game but yeah basically before 1.07 had problems and I updated 1.07 everything fixed and i'm assuming I have to wait for 1.09 to fix it yet again. But please help me if you can and I know this is a lot of stuff but thank you!

I am having exactly the same issue. It is since the latest update with the Senna Retrospective. It worked ok for a few days but now It locks up after clicking on the chequered flag to enter the race. It doesnt matter whether it is a special event of part of the standard races.

I bought my ps3 in 2010. I think it is the 320GB version. I have not had any real problem with the machine, which mostly get used daily for playTV.

I have deleted the game data through the GT6 options menu. I have not deleted the games data through the XMB though. But when I look a the game date in the XMB game menu, there are tow entries for GT6??? One for GT6 (UK) and one for GT6. Is this correct? (I am from the UK)

Any help would be awesome. Help which leads to me being able to complete academy would be doubly awesome.

Peter
UPDATE!!!!

I thought that this was a problem caused by the update for the Senna races... Alas the problem was much simpler than that. I ejected the disc the other night and i found to my embarrassment that the disc was covered in my little boys finger prints. After a good clean all is working fine again!!!

YIPPEE

Well I have a problem as well but it isn't quite the same as rambo793, before I got the 1.07 update with the new BMW vision, I had problems where I couldn't join a online lobby, game freezes, music stops playing when joining in the lobby and other problems and when I updated the 1.07 update, I thought it wasn't loading and I turned off my ps3 (which was a dumb idea). Then I left it on over night and 1.07 is finally installed, ever since then everything worked and everything was working again but ever since I got 1.08 with Aryton Senna stuff, I had the same problem again with game freezes and the rotating the car after you installed a custom aero kit or wheels in custom parts and paint as well. I can load up my game to the main menu but I can't join lobbies, the music stops playing but I can hear people with the mics its just that i'm stuck at the part after it is done loading joining the server (before the racing flag with the loading bar) and its frozen at the lobbies list. I don't want to delete my stuff again to restore the game but yeah basically before 1.07 had problems and I updated 1.07 everything fixed and i'm assuming I have to wait for 1.09 to fix it yet again. But please help me if you can and I know this is a lot of stuff but thank you!
Check the game disc. That was the problem with mine.......

Ehet
Alright, I know there are threads regarding this particular issue, but I'm guessing the details of mine differ slightly and I really am very very confused.

I own an 80 GB Fat PS3 purchased back in 2009.

Bought GT6 back in December and since then up until last month, it gave me no problems whatsoever. However, gradually, the game started crashing the PS3. Especially when I would load up arcade mode, it would crash on the "Pre-race" screen. Once rebooted, it would run smoothly without any further crashing.

This continued for a few weeks until the crashes became more frequent; it would now crash randomly during a race. Since then, the PS3 has begun crashing atleast once after startup without even loading a game.

Gran Turismo 6 is almost non-playable. I've tried everything, disconnecting from the internet, running on 720p, to no avail. Though the latter does seem to postpone the crashing.
I get probably 10-15 minutes of play time before the whole system shuts off.

The funny thing is, I play GTA V for hours on end, and it doesn't crash even once during gameplay, no problems whatsoever.
This only happens with Gran Turismo 6. One might state that this problem has been prominent for months, but how could it arise out of the blue when it didn't give me any problems whatsoever during the first month and a half of gameplay.

Could this be because of a recent update?

I'm not really sure. I was thinking of getting a refurbished unit from Sony since my warranty's long gone, but should I be when only GT6 is giving me problems? Also remember, ever since the game started crashing the system, it decides to crash on it's own once after startup.

I'm at a loss for ideas here. I was thinking of opening up the system and cleaning it.

I race down with the WRS, and off late I haven't been able to participate or even drive well for obvious reasons.

Any help is appreciated.
Where are you living, I ask because it could be that higher average temperatures as summer approaches are simply causing at he msvhinr to over-heat

Mine only ever crashes online and I have a 250 GB slim bought in 2010. It scares me because every time it happens I'm prompted to run a scan because it didn't shut down properly.

Weird. Have a 2008ish 80gb fatty upgraded to 320gb from new slim. 2013 Slim has new 700gb. Both run all my PS3 games - over 130 - perfectly. Never any issues.

My PS3 Fat died two times, 1st on the GT5 Prologue intro, years ago,

2nd time, during GT6 Lobby host room, upon release.

Don't be suprised if this is an induced move by Sony and PD, to get people to buy new hardware.

you'd be shocked at the inside secrets the Asians are up to, when it comes to retiring hardware on purpose.

there may be a class action lawsuit coming against Activision for overheating videocards due to poor driver implementation (hey look, lets run the math hot for nothing and not turn on the fan! poof went over 100K systems)

fortunately though, GT6 is still worth a couple of PS3's now and then.

The Slims have no issue, especially not with an SSD drive (less heat)

my old PS3 fat had induced air cooling, and all, but that thermal paste is destined to crack over time, and let you fry eggs on the die for one last show.

The slim uses less electricity, is whisper quiet to the ears, and what is your time worth to you to repair an old one for half~whole day?

Last edited:
I have one of the fatty PS3's too (60GB IIRC), pre-ordered it like a sucker but I have had just one issue with it since I put an SSD in it. Sometimes it won't boot and brings up a message that the OS or HDD isn't found and I have to power if off and then on again. It doesn't happen too often, once a week or so.

But I think Famine is right, probably need to get a new one from the sounds of it.

Jerome

Was wondering this when researching SSDs I saw a lot of comments about PCs not recognizing it sometimes and wondered how this might affect the PS3. I'm currently going through the same issues with GT6, did the delete/reinstall trick the other day,made it worse. Assumes it's the HDD and want to replace it.

So it's actually the PS3? Too late in it's life cycle to replace now. I'll try a HDD I have in a dead laptop and see what happens, next console is a PS4 I've already bought 2 PS3s

Back