GT6 Duel of the Week 2 - The Last Lap

GT3 vs What???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe I was having a bad day, but I couldn't get the Viper under 1:24 at Autumn Ring. I found understeer with a great propensity to light up the tires anywhere to be its demise. It happens to the Vette, too, just not as much. I liked the Vette better. Mostly because I could drive it. Had top time by a tenth, too, until @BenMillard showed up. :indiff:

Viper GTS '13 1:24.181
Corvette ZR1 '09 1:22.737

Verdict: Corvette ZR1

I still have the review I did of the Viper vs the Corvette in my noodle from last year - But this one has swapped the 2nd generation "peak of its powers" ACR version of the Viper with the 3rd generation Viper.

vip3.jpg

I've run them both and The Viper just underwhelms me. I loved the 1st Generation Viper, and the bold look of the first gen has been erroded so much it is easy to get these two mixed up at first glance - The Viper has moved from wide long horizonal lamps to vertical tall lamps. This just mucks about with the front of the car - the first impression - and it just ripples through the rest of the styling which just feels off, certainly each aspect I look at is worse-er-er than the 90's Viper.

vip4.jpg

The Corvette is much more simplistic - more dull less adventerous, but it does work. Maybe if I really loved the look of the 1960's Vette I would be the old curmudgeon.

Looks
Edge to the plain but handsome Corvette over the unbalanced Viper.

Engine
V8 will always sound better than a V10 -

Drive
Both are - less than perfect lots of power and lots of weight crammed into one sloppy suspension shell. BUT these floppy eared mutts are entertaining to drive. The 'Vette would make me shake my head as it would try to understeer and oversteer at the same corner on different laps, but thankfully it is so heavy none of this too fast to correct.

The Viper does have throwback jerseys... I mean, retro-tastic white stripes on the GTS Blue livery, which is sort of nice... until you remember the good old days with the original GTS and you get sulky and you start to chew on your sleeves like some Goth Girl in the rain.

Bit of a toss up as to which to pick, but in the end I went with the better sounding V8 and less upsetting to look at Chevrolet Chevette, I mean Corvette.

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) '09
6.2L
639 hp / 6,500 rpm
604 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,508 kg (3,325 lbs)
573 pp

SRT Viper GTS '13
8.4L
640 hp / 6,400 rpm
601 ft-lb / 5,000 rpm
1,556 kg (3,430 lbs)
566 pp

The power is almost identical, with the Viper having a 1 horse advantage, and the Chevy pulling 3 more ft-lbs of torque 1,000 rpm earlier. With 105 fewer lbs of mass to throw around, the Corvette seems to have the edge here.

170 mph - Corvette
167 mph - Viper

I'd choose a Viper, but this one:

92103411000104.jpg

Sorry for the late post. Corvette gets my vote in this duel.

ZR1 was much more responsive to the DS3. Both slippery and cry hard to get the best out of them. Had some faster splits than my Viper time would suggest. Just couldn't hold onto it for a while lap.

ZR1 had to win on performance and driver response, for me.

Original Viper GTS with the engine sound from original GT pwns both these options, imho!

Autumn Ring with afternoon most forming on the lake was a spectacular setting, either way. Maybe the circuit wins this duel? B)

Alright, last week featured two very similar cars, only really differentiated by the fact that the engines are different and one generation started in 2005, and the other started over five years later. The V10 in the Viper sounds pretty smooth, but lacks the punch or throatiness of the V8 from the Corvette. The only thing that gave the Corvette ZR1 butterflies in it's valves was the Viper's immense torque. It wasn't enough to save it in the end though, and the Corvette ended up being faster like usual.

Let's tally up the votes...
Viper: 2
Corvette: 6

The winner of this last week's duel is...

Death Valley_3.jpg

The Chevrolet Corvette ZR1!

Congratulations to @BenMillard for achieving the best time of 1:22.399 in the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 and @MOPARbarrett5 for achieving the best time of 1:22.017 in the SRT Viper GTS. (just looking at his username I bet that car fits him like a glove.)

Now it's time to look at our never-so-popular side mission!
GT3 in the Rain at Suzuka!

Suzuka Circuit 2014_1.jpg

1st / @Vic Reign93 / Audi R8 LMS Ultra / 2:08
2nd / @Draggon / SLS AMG GT3 / 2:15
3rd / @ThrasherDBS / SLS AMG GT3 / 2:17

Stay tuned in a few hours for the next duel... This one'll be smoking.​

Last edited:
GT6 Duel of the Week #110: Drift Cars Drive Straight!

I bet you're wondering just what this week will contain from the title alone. I'm about to tell you, but first some backstory:

CdM1_Blitz_3.jpg

The drift cars in Gran Turismo barely get touched in this thread, so it's time to break them all out at once. Essentially, it's up to you to find your favourite drift-spec race car in GT6 and cast a vote in it's name, like the any truck/ any SUV week.

Take your time finding your favourite ride and set a laptime in the upcoming time trial, the venue will be Grand Valley Speedway: East.

The time trial results will be posted in a leaderboard style by the week's end.

Take the time to find your favourite drift-spec machine and tell us why it's your favourite. It could be for the looks, controllability, speed around a track, you name it. Of course, there will be a winner at the end of the week. The vehicle with the most votes will be the winner of this battle-royale.

On the side for time trials this week... Corvettes at Toscana!

Toscana_1.jpg

I'm sure you'll have fun this week toying around with all the machinery, see you in the time trials (hopefully)!

I did kinda toy with the idea of doing a drift trial thing once.

But since this is a time trial one in particular, I'd say it makes more sense for it to be this way. Can't really have the duel be named "Drift Cars Drive Straight" if we're just going to be throwing them sideways as intended. However @Nismonath5 I think it would be interesting if we had another group based on drifting. Sound like an idea?

Speaking of, here's what I think we have to choose from. If I'm missing any, I'm sure our fearless leader or someone else will be more than happy to say "No, moron, you forgot..."

Cars I'm sure fit this category:
AEM S2000
High End Performance G37
Blitz ER34 D1 SPEC '04
Blitz DUNLOP ER34 SKYLINE '07
HKS GENKI HYPER SILVIA RS2 '04
HKS CT230R '08
Mazda BP FALKEN RX-7 '03
RE Amemiya FD3S RX-7

Cars I'm not so sure fit this category but might:
Amuse S2000 R1 '04
Amuse NISMO 380RS Super Leggera and the Gran Turismo and Opera Performance versions
Amuse Carbon R (R34) '04
Toyota SPRINTER TRUENO GT-APEX (S.Shigeno Ver.) (Okay, kinda being facetious on this one, but will consider running it if it's okay)

I realized something going through the car list for these sorts of cars: there's literally no representation for Europe. Kinda find that to be something that would be interesting to fix.

I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of these "open-ended" duels, so I may or may not participate in this one, but the offroad Corvette thing sounds exciting and interesting. Definitely looking forward to that one.

Cheers Thrash, for banging that list up. I was going to use a TVR Speed 12 Cerbera - I go sideways in that... it is Right hand drive, just like one of them Japanese "Drift-u" Cars...

Essentially, it's up to you to find your favourite drift-spec race car in GT6​

Even though I appreciate the effort @ThrasherDBS put in to compiling that list 👍👍, the words race car stick out like a sore thumb in my eyes... and given it was stated as "favourite drift-spec race car", that would mean D1.

The only true D1 spec "race cars" in GT6 are the two Blitz cars and the AEM S2000. (as far as I know)

EDIT: One way to prove my theory is by entering any of these cars in the "Racing Car" only drift events currently available.

Everything else is considered a "Tuner" car in GT6... so yes, some clarification would be nice!

Cheers

Last edited:
I did kinda toy with the idea of doing a drift trial thing once.

But since this is a time trial one in particular, I'd say it makes more sense for it to be this way. Can't really have the duel be named "Drift Cars Drive Straight" if we're just going to be throwing them sideways as intended. However @Nismonath5 I think it would be interesting if we had another group based on drifting. Sound like an idea?

Speaking of, here's what I think we have to choose from. If I'm missing any, I'm sure our fearless leader or someone else will be more than happy to say "No, moron, you forgot..."

Cars I'm sure fit this category:
AEM S2000
High End Performance G37
Blitz ER34 D1 SPEC '04
Blitz DUNLOP ER34 SKYLINE '07
HKS CT230R '08
Mazda BP FALKEN RX-7 '03
RE Amemiya FD3S RX-7

Cars I'm not so sure fit this category but might:
Amuse S2000 R1 '04
Amuse NISMO 380RS Super Leggera and the Gran Turismo and Opera Performance versions
Amuse Carbon R (R34) '04
Toyota SPRINTER TRUENO GT-APEX (S.Shigeno Ver.) (Okay, kinda being facetious on this one, but will consider running it if it's okay)

I realized something going through the car list for these sorts of cars: there's literally no representation for Europe. Kinda find that to be something that would be interesting to fix.

I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of these "open-ended" duels, so I may or may not participate in this one, but the offroad Corvette thing sounds exciting and interesting. Definitely looking forward to that one.
I think the ones that come with Sports Soft are just track tuner cars, and the Comfort Soft cars were designed for drifting.

Alright, time to compile a car list for this week then.

LIST O' CARS ELIGIBLE...

AEM S2000 (why is this an American car?)
Amuse S2000 R1 '04 (why not)
Amuse Carbon R (R34) '04
High End Performance G37 (slide that one in)
Blitz ER34 D1 SPEC '04 (neon... yo)
Blitz DUNLOP ER34 SKYLINE '07 (the neon one is more popular)
HKS CT230R '08 (it's time attack, but lol whatever)
Mazda BP FALKEN RX-7 '03 (forgot about this one eh?
Mazda RX-7 Touring Car (the orange one)
Nissan Sylvia Touring Car (the orange one)
Opera Performance S2000 '04
RE Amemiya FD3S RX-7
Either Toyota AE86 Variant (deja vu)

Also, I would appreciate people shooting me ideas for a possible Bonus Stage 4. The previous idea was rally cars on a dirt track, but nobody was really into the idea of slipping around and crashing all over the place in a four-lap online race. So all Bonus Stages should be on the pavement.

Last edited:
I was gonna use my custom-made Chevrolet Nova SS Drift Car, but now that there's a list of eligibile cars... :( hmm... I own none of these cars, time to go shopping!

All cars are tested at Suzuka. 600 PP and Racing Mediums.

Blitz ER34 (the premium one)

I liked the car when I first played it in GT5 Prologue, and I had the idea of making a race setup. I thought that it would be fast. Well I was horrifically, terribly, awfully wrong.
The car's nasty cornering makes it good only for drifting. I had to use settings that cause oversteer, and it still had lots of understeer. It acts exactly like the Cerbera Speed 12. EXACTLY.
Time - 1:57.958

HKS CT230R

The car was even slower than the ER34. That's strange, as it felt much better than the Skyline. I don't really get well with the Lancers so...
Time - 1:58.828

Mazda RX-7

For a sub-1000kg car it surprised me. Had some understeer through the esses, I lost some time there. It's a lot worse than the GT300 RX-7, even though it is 100kg lighter. Straight line speed looks good though.
Time - 1:53.434

The rest are coming soon

Nissan Option Stream Z?

A search gave me these results, varying relevance:
http://www.gtdata.net/browse_cars.p...cfca7e9a51331487d5297a77&result_row=14&game=2
[x] Nissan Option Stream Z 2004 Time Attack FR 796 655 1,440 600 TRUE
[x] HKS CT230R 2008 Time Attack 4W 601 524 1,068 596 TRUE
[x] Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 Base 2006 Time Attack 4W 621 456 1,340 582 TRUE
[x] Blitz Dunlop ER34 2007 Drift FR 611 527 1,252 580 TRUE
[x] Mine's Skyline GT-R N1 V-spec (R34) 2000 Time Attack 4W 621 455 1,340 573 TRUE
[x] Nissan Falken GT-R Race Car 2004 Grand Touring Car, Touring Car Super Taikyu 4W 526 465 1,360 573 TRUE
[x] Amuse CarbonR (R34) 2004 Time Attack FR 624 441 1,123 570 TRUE
[x] HKS Genki Hyper Silvia RS2 (D1GP) 2004 Drift D1GP FR 499 496 1,130 570 TRUE
[x] Blitz ER34 D1 spec 2004 (D1GP) 2004 Drift D1GP FR 491 440 1,180 557 TRUE
[x] AEM S2000 (SEMA 2005) 2005 Drift, Gran Turismo SEMA Formula Drift FR 474 384 1,155 548 TRUE
[x] Mazda BP Falken RX-7 (D1GP) 2003 Drift D1GP FR 424 340 1,230 531 TRUE
[x] Mine's Lancer Evolution VI 2000 Time Attack 4W 414 307 1,210 520 FALSE
[x] Spoon S2000 Race Car 2000 Touring Car Super Taikyu FR 326 169 1,050 490 TRUE Group N
[x] Mazda Mazda6 Touring Car 2002 Touring Car Super Taikyu 4W 320 219 1,070 487 TRUE Group N
[x] Mazda Atenza Touring Car 2003 Touring Car Super Taikyu 4W 311 190 1,070 479 TRUE Group N
[x] Trial Celica SS-II (ZZT231) 2003 Time Attack FF 294 210 1,140 473 TRUE
[x] Spoon CIVIC TYPE R (EK) 2000 Touring Car Super Taikyu FF 225 124 820 455 FALSE Group N
[x] Honda Gathers Drider CIVIC Race Car 1998 Touring Car Super Taikyu FF 192 126 930 413 TRUE Group N
[x] Spoon Fit Race Car 2003 Touring Car Super Taikyu FF 130 129 990 374 TRUE Group N
EDIT: List sorted by PP and updated with more columns.

Last edited:
Nissan Option Stream Z?

A search gave me these results, varying relevance:
http://www.gtdata.net/browse_cars.p...cfca7e9a51331487d5297a77&result_row=14&game=2
x] AEM S2000 (SEMA 2005) 2005 Drift, Gran Turismo SEMA Formula Drift
[x] Amuse CarbonR (R34) 2004 Time Attack
[x] Blitz Dunlop ER34 2007 Drift
[x] Blitz ER34 D1 spec 2004 (D1GP) 2004 Drift D1GP
[x] HKS CT230R 2008 Time Attack
[x] HKS Genki Hyper Silvia RS2 (D1GP) 2004 Drift D1GP
[x] Honda Gathers Drider CIVIC Race Car 1998 Touring Car Super Taikyu
[x] Mazda Atenza Touring Car 2003 Touring Car Super Taikyu
[x] Mazda BP Falken RX-7 (D1GP) 2003 Drift D1GP
[x] Mazda Mazda6 Touring Car 2002 Touring Car Super Taikyu
[x] Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 Base 2006 Time Attack
[x] Mine's Lancer Evolution VI 2000 Time Attack
[x] Mine's Skyline GT-R N1 V-spec (R34) 2000 Time Attack
[x] Nissan Falken GT-R Race Car 2004 Touring Car, Grand Touring Car Super Taikyu
[x] Nissan Option Stream Z 2004 Time Attack
[x] Spoon CIVIC TYPE R (EK) 2000 Touring Car Super Taikyu
[x] Spoon Fit Race Car 2003 Touring Car Super Taikyu
[x] Spoon S2000 Race Car 2000 Touring Car Super Taikyu
[x] Trial Celica SS-II (ZZT231) 2003 Time Attack

That's a top Speed car is it not? I wouldn't count that as a drift machine per se. Maybe I'll use it for an upcoming duel.

Time trials are going up now that I'm home for the day.

You know all things considered, I think the best JDM drift machine is the 1972 Honda Life Step Van, guys. Think about it, it's hardcore vintage JDM back from the era of the original Nissan Skyline GT-R. It has the engine in the front, like the vast majority of all drift monsters. It gets a bunch of power from being normally aspirated, so it doesn't have to deal with turbo lag, and it accomplishes this on a fraction of the cylinders of the typical drift missile. It's instantly recognizable as a Japanese legend, and hence, my vote goes to it!

I did give the Shuichi Shigeno AE86 a go, and it was fun, but driving it home.... uhhh....

0c4c10622a2be5bfa472cbf990956d1e.gif

I accidentally the engine.

Last edited:
Got was my highest score ever at Tsukuba! Without tuning you have to change style to the car, instead of changing car to your style.

Lots of cars to choose from. I hoped to run a few more, maybe get through all of them. But I won't get back from work in time today. :(

Would you extend the drift by a day so it finishes with the others? Pretty please? Gaming completionist would like to run every car here. (And have a final go at WRS 187 Daytona at Daytona.)

Haven't tried the time trials yet. So many great communities still keeping GT6 alive.

:gtpflag:

Not really tried many of the cars - I liked the Silvia - Comfort tyres off the bat drove with understeer into corners but once you do unstick the rear it is happy days.

I had a try in the RX7 but pop up headlamps vs Filthy Left hand drive... Pop up lamps are good but left hand drive is unforgivable.

And that was my poor testing as I got. Sorry Guys. But the Silvia was lovably loose once you hit a certain speed - but never more than 150mph... oh no, and don't feed it after midnight

My comments on this week's challenge are more of a review of myself than the cars we tested. The drift challenge did not go well. While some of us are good at this sort of thing, I consider simply getting golds in the seasonal events a milestone for me. Not being able to tune them put me at a disadvantage too. I picked the Silvia TC which has way too much aero. I had better luck with the GENKI Silvia in offline practice but never went back try the TT event again. As I titled the room I made for this, its "counter intuitive".

I'm even worse on dirt. I've played plenty of dirt ( and DiRT ) video games, and like our friend @Nismonath5 have actually done hot laps on a dirt track in real life. I'm not exactly sure what feels so wrong with PD physics, but my poor performance reflects this......I was unable to even break the 2:00 mark and gave up. My review? A fully tuned 600pp plus Corvette at Toscana is as much fun as a 2CV at that large oval test track in GT3 or 4 ( or was it 5 ). Remember that?

I again used the Silvia TC for the TT at Grand Valley. I way overestimated my skills by using that car. The RX7 touring car is pretty much the best we had to choose from, IMO, with the Opera S2000 another good choice. So I thought I'd choose a lesser vehicle. Um yeah, right. I was feeling fairly full of myself when @Vic Reign93 posted a time "only" 2 seconds faster ( if I can get within a second or 2 of him I'm doing well ) but then @BenMillard obliterated the field with a 1:05. Oy vai.

My ratings on 3 of the cars available to us:

1. RX7 Touring car. Absolutely superb, and a sleeper too. It's a lot faster than expected.
2. Opera S2000 another lovely car, and a weapon at 500pp
3. Silvia Touring car. I love this little thing, It does everything well, except drift. Ugh.

My comments on this week's challenge are more of a review of myself than the cars we tested. The drift challenge did not go well. While some of us are good at this sort of thing, I consider simply getting golds in the seasonal events a milestone for me. Not being able to tune them put me at a disadvantage too. I picked the Silvia TC which has way too much aero. I had better luck with the GENKI Silvia in offline practice but never went back try the TT event again. As I titled the room I made for this, its "counter intuitive".

I'm even worse on dirt. I've played plenty of dirt ( and DiRT ) video games, and like our friend @Nismonath5 have actually done hot laps on a dirt track in real life. I'm not exactly sure what feels so wrong with PD physics, but my poor performance reflects this......I was unable to even break the 2:00 mark and gave up. My review? A fully tuned 600pp plus Corvette at Toscana is as much fun as a 2CV at that large oval test track in GT3 or 4 ( or was it 5 ). Remember that?

I again used the Silvia TC for the TT at Grand Valley. I way overestimated my skills by using that car. The RX7 touring car is pretty much the best we had to choose from, IMO, with the Opera S2000 another good choice. So I thought I'd choose a lesser vehicle. Um yeah, right. I was feeling fairly full of myself when @Vic Reign93 posted a time "only" 2 seconds faster ( if I can get within a second or 2 of him I'm doing well ) but then @BenMillard obliterated the field with a 1:05. Oy vai.

My ratings on 3 of the cars available to us:

1. RX7 Touring car. Absolutely superb, and a sleeper too. It's a lot faster than expected.
2. Opera S2000 another lovely car, and a weapon at 500pp
3. Silvia Touring car. I love this little thing, It does everything well, except drift. Ugh.

To be fair, The Blitz R34 I used did not want to turn on the TT so the fact it beat a half decent Touring Car is pretty impressive, as for the 1:05 time I'm not surprised given the choices on offer. :P

Now for the rally Vette's, it was both challenging and fun to do, putting down near 600hp through some skinny dirt tyres and the rear wheels isn't for the faint of heart. :D

Sad I missed the rally. These TTs are just way too long. Doing a single run on all 3 would realistically take about 1 hour.

Setting them to a 1 lap race or just enough time for 2 bad laps, with final corner start, makes club events fit into daily life so much better. In a multi car event it enables more players to try more vehicles. Variety is the spice of life.

As for my reviews, the RX-7 Touring Car drifts brilliantly. Found this by accident while doing Grand Valley TT. :D It has lots more front downforce than the drift cars and almost feels like a DS3 tune as standard. Reacts beautifully; definitely a car I will play with more in suitable events. A lot of interior detail visible through the rear screen for chase cam noobs like me to stare at, too! 👍

There are a pair of Blitz Skylines. The 2007 model has substantially more performance than the earlier 2004 model. @Vic Reign93 was a solid second a lap faster than me in the 2004 so I dug out and untuned my 2007 model. Just squeaked ahead so feel I didn't win by 'cheating' with a debatable touring car entry.

Blitz cars had 150 400 downforce which made them very stable on power. Have to be patient turning in, especially with Sports Hard tyres. Patience, accuracy and early entry really pays off with these cars. Pretty much the opposite of drifting where flambouyant entries and aggressive lines are rewarded more highly.

Speaking of drifting, I am so pleased with my Tsukuba drift. If I had the time I would try to shaky-cam record it to YouTube. It certainly wasn't pretty compared with the typical top 10 replays you can get from Seasonal Events. But I got well over 15,000 points with two cars in about 10 laps each. Highest scores I've ever had at this track with standard tunes.

@Vic Reign93 then goes and beats me on the last day with same 2004 model! By a solid 3,000 points as well.

Really wanted to try the other 'legit' D1 cars. Falken RX-7 and AEM S2000. Just not enough time with the events up for a few days and each needing about 20 minutes to set a representative time.

My votes are probably quite predicable!

RX-7 Touring Car for racing.
Blitz Skyline 2007 for drifting.

(HKS CT230R is a 4WD Time Attack vehicle I tried at Deep Forest seasonal some time ago. It had massive understeer on Sports Soft tyres. SH might loosen it up but with a standard tune, it would probably be hopeless.)

Latest Posts

Back