• Poll closed .
Week: 115 Japanese Classics!

I've been wanting to try this out, so here's the duel for this week:

1967 Toyota 2000GT
1967-toyota-2000-gt-7_600x0w.jpg

VS!

1971 Nissan Fairlady 240ZG
1972-Nissan-Fairlady-ZG-Front.jpg

Time Trial can be up to MrWaflz55 if he so desires. If not, I can handle it from my club as well.

Standings from last duel will be up shortly.

Results for Week 114

Well after we put the cars through their paces, here's how everything shook out.

Votes:
Impreza: 2
FTO: 3

This week's winner is:

Mitsubishi FTO SUPER TOURING CAR!

maxresdefault.jpg

Here are the Trial Standings at Suzuka East:

Subaru Impreza Super Touring Car:
1st: @BenMillard - 0:48.928
2nd: @Draggon - 0:48.962 (Offline)
3rd: Some loser - 0:49.435

Mitsubishi FTO Super Touring Car:
1st: @Vic Reign93 - 0:47.537
2nd: @BenMillard - 0:47.752
3rd: @Draggon - 0:48.022 (Offline)
4th: Some loser - 0:48.760

And here's the Drift Trial Standings at Motegi East:

Subaru Impreza Super Touring Car:
1st: @BenMillard - 15,999
2nd: Some loser - 12,097

Mitsubishi FTO Super Touring Car:
1st: @Vic Reign93 - 22,222 (Good heavens that must've been quite a run)
2nd: @BenMillard - 18,576
3rd: Some loser - 11,228

Congrats to Vic and Ben for being on top as always. Special shoutout to Draggon for coming INSANELY close to dethroning Ben from the top spot in the Impreza.

This week's Time Trial shall be at Tokyo Route 246, and the Drift Trial shall be at Midfield Raceway Reverse.

Best of luck this week!

Great choices this week Master Thrasher ( see, no Master Blaster Thunderdome reference! Oopsy-Daisy guess I just did, my bad :guilty: ) Still haven't remedied my inability to create rooms. I'm going to try using an ethernet cable. I read that one person once fixed it that way.

But the greater question is, who's this "some loser" dude? He kicks my behind in almost every dorifuto event, even the seasonals. So there. :bowdown:

Awesome duel this week! Love these two cars. Now let's see if the rich man's 2000GT is faster than the poor man's 240Z.

Nissan 240ZG (HS30) '71
2.4L
147 hp / 5,500 rpm
152 ft-lb / 5,000 rpm
1,010 kg (2,227 lbs)
378 pp

Toyota 2000GT '67
2.0L
153 hp / 7,000 rpm
130 ft-lb / 5,000 rpm
1,120 kg (2,469 lbs)
373 pp

Down by 6 horsepowers, the 240Z makes up for that with a whopping 22 more ft-lbs of torque at the same peak rpm as the 2000GT. On top of that, the Nissan weighs 110 kg (242 lbs) less than the Toyota. Sounds like a clear win for the original Z-car. Let's test that theory.

What's this? The 2000GT is actually faster, despite having much less torque and a lot more weight?! Incredible. Indeed, the Toyota managed 120 mph on Mid-Field's long straight, versus 116 mph for the Nissan. The 2000GT also carried more speed through Turn 1, even if by only 1 mph.

Interesting battle, but I'm siding with Nissan here. It was more affordable and barely any slower. And you didn't have to feel guilty taking it out of the garage to put a few miles on it.

So as we manage to catch Tokyo between giant monster attacks, we can pit two good old Japanese classics against one another. One is the ancestor to the Toyota Supra and the other is the great great grandpa (grandma?) of the Fairlady Z series

Tokyo Trial:
2000GT - 2:17.428
Fairlady Z - 2:16.388

I had to shell out a lot more cash for probably the Toyota I'd get if I could have any Toyota ever made, versus the Fairlady Z that I got for a fraction of the price. And in the end, the old Z wound up being the quicker and more stable car, admittedly being a little too stable at points, washing out in corners and producing a fair amount of understeer. The Toyota had that problem too, but it would also kick the back end out on hard acceleration. This was especially an interesting dynamic when it came to the drift trial where, despite the understeery nature of the Z, wound up scoring more points than the Toyota.

The Nissan Fairlady Z wins it for me.

Great duel this week! It's proving to be quite difficult to choose. The Datsun has more grip at both ends which means it gets a tad pushy coming out of turns. The Toyota is more balanced, but it has less grip overall which translates to slower lap times. Neither one sounds all that great. The Datsun is standard and not modeled all that well. The track is too narrow and the whole thing looks a bit funny compared to the 1:1's I've been around. The Toyota is premium and looks quite lovely to my eye, and the interior view is neat because you can see those traditional Japanese fender mounted mirrors. So it's performance or looks? Hmmmm..........:confused:

My Fair Lady 240ZG '71 2:15.691
Toyota 2000GT '67 2:16.880

Road and track called the 2000GT "one of the most exciting and enjoyable cars we've driven". If I had Sherman's way-back machine I would transport back to '67, not '71.

Winner Toyota 2000GT '67!

My times:

upload_2017-10-8_13-16-33.png

A big shout out to that "some loser" dude. He did well in the dorifuto events. With such a dearth of power, I'm struggling to get more than 9,000 pts.

What's good squad-fam? Absolutely smashing time with the GTS demo right now. It's a great game.

Hope you all had a great thanksgiving and I'm in the process of deciding this next duel...

Spent about an hour or so with my son on his PS4 playing around with the GTS Demo. So far it's quite a lot better than I expected. We did have some trouble as we were both using the DS4 and the triggers on mine were reversed ( throttle was L2 brake R2 ) and the options screen kept saying there was an error so we were unable to change anything. I didn't like that there were only 3 courses available, but at least I got to drive Dragon Trail. 👍

Opened up the GTS demo just to gawk at what I have to look forward to, but lucky me, the demo lands and is open during most of my work weekend.

Definitely gonna livestream my first moments driving though. I was just looking through a lot of the menus of the stuff that I get to do, and I honestly felt giddy. It's like I'm seven again.

Managed to get some time in with the Z and I have no doubts it’ll outrun the 2000GT on the track, put a respectable time in at Tokyo and a drift score I wasn’t 100% satisfied with because drifting cars with open differentials is quite tricky.

But yes my vote goes to 240Z. 👍

Hey @ThrasherDBS could you please post last week's time trial results after this. I'm on mobile for a day while some computer stuff happens.

Two weeks ago featured two high-spec Japanese race card from some fictional racing series that involves Super Touring somethingorother. These cars aren't unlike the racing machines we'll be seeing in GT Sport in the coming weeks. Except I make worse liveries than what comes on the car to begin with.

The Subaru was quite the grippy car in the corners, which featured more consistency than the sometimes snappy FTO. But... the Subaru did have some power problems that caught up with it in the straights, no pun intneded. I prefer the styling of the classic Bugeye Scoobie better, but the FTO is the faster machine on the long sections. I give the edge of performance to the FTO. But my overall vote goes to the Subaru because of the experiences I've had with it.

So I pick the Subaru.

Now onto this week. The Toyota 2000GT vs the Original flavour Fairlady Z from Nissan.

The 2000GT all the way man! Faster, more stylish, aero parts, modeled interiors, better to drive and pop-up headlamps. There's no denying that the Z is a great car, but it's just not as good as it's Toyota rival. Maybe in the modern age with their successors, the 370Z would trump the 86GT though.

This week's vote for me goes to the Toyota 2000GT. Mine is in a pretty gaudy shade of teal. ;D

Let's see what y'all voted...

It's the Fairlady Z that wins this duel by a ratio of 3:2 over the 2000GT.

That's not the car I voted for though. You guys are killing me here!

IMG_2395.JPG

The Winner of Week 114 is the Datsun Fairlady 240Z

There Datsun, have your cake and begone!

Let's see what awaits us in the next duelio...​

Not too good of a turnout on the trials this week. I think GT Sport might be a little to blame on that.

Tokyo R246 Time Trial Results:

Toyota 2000GT '67
1st: @Draggon - 2:16.880 (Online)
2nd: Some dude - 2:17.428

Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) '71
1st: @Vic Reign93 - 2:12.679
2nd: @Draggon - 2:15.691
3rd: Some dude - 2:16.388

Mid-Field Raceway Drift Trial Results:

Toyota 2000GT '67
1st: Who cares

Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) '71
1st: @Vic Reign93 - 12,085
2nd: Some dude - 11,088

Draggon and Vic take home the golds this time around.

Yea I concur about being usurped by GT Sport. We had a fair turnout at COTW last night, but it's not difficult to see that the GT6 days are getting numbered. Too bad, the duel and cotw have kept my enthusiasm up for 2 years now.

Yep, same with me. The guy running the show kinda spent too long playing GTS and not plugging in his PS3. Time to get the next and second last official duel before GTS out of the way...

GT6 Duel of the Week #116: Vision GT Showdown

This week's Vision GT showdown will include a newcomer to the thread. We have a car that is surprisingly missing from GTS' Gr.1 category (LMPs) and a car which has already had a higher performance version featured on this thread. Oh, and they're from Dodge and Chevrolet for all you rivalists out there.

Introducing for the first time...

The Chevrolet Chaparral 2X VGT.

GT6-Chaparral-2X-1024x576.jpg

against the

SRT Tomahawk GTS-R Vision GT.

2015-SRT-Tomahawk-Vision-Gran-Turismo-Concept-16.jpg

This duel is kind of odd, we know the 2X can't stand up to the Red Bull or Tomahawk X, so the next step down is the Tomahawk GTS-R. It's the GTS-R's week to prove that it's actually useful for something outside of one-make.

Two visions for Le Mans of the future, which one is faster? The heavyweight with a conventional drive and more power, or the lightweight with technological tricks up its sleeve? Let's find out on the Nurburgring GP/D.

Also @ThrasherDBS, another open drift week is on tabs, unless anyone's got the bawls to drift these two.​

Last edited:
So bit of a problem on the drift trial this week. I called and I reserved Apricot Hill for an early 6:30 a.m. run for all of us, but it seems as though there have been nonstop rainstorms for the past week or two with no signs of stopping.

It's still open-setup, open-choice for cars, but I'd bring a raincoat and a 4WD car if I were you. Unless, you know, your bawls be like:

ka010.jpg

This week's open-swim drift trial is a lot more literal than the last one. Hope to see some good turnouts for this one!

Don't have much material to use for this week, unless you're all waiting until Wednesday. Also, I'm going to make an important announcement for this thread in a few minutes.

I got a switcher box for my TV! No longer do I have to choose between the PS4 and PS3!

image.jpg

Can of Hunt's Sauce Tomate instead of a can of beans...

GT6 Duel of the Week every Wednesday night!

GT Sport Duel of the Week every Sunday night!

Come to both! Stay on PS3 if you want! Everyone's happy! It's even part of our branding now, splitting the dates up like this makes it easier to manage.

Last edited:
Wow, a duel like this and I'm doing a write-up on Monday night, and I'm the first one.

Vision Gran Turismo, like it or loathe it, has produced very interesting vehicles stretching the very limits of imagination. Both of these cars have approaches so unique, it actually requires you to re-learn how to drive to a certain extent. That's what happens when you have cars with stupid huge power outputs, light-as-a-feather curb weights and enough downforce to keep an airliner grounded. And to cap it off, one of them is powered by frickin' lasers. Both cars have a learning curve to them, and when you overcome them, your lap times will certainly shorten.

Nurburgring GP/D Trial:
2X: 1:09.178
Tomahawk GTS-R: 1:08.761

For most of the trial with the Tomahawk, I thought the 2X was going to be a shoe-in because I was struggling to retain enough control of the car to get it under 1:10, and then I hit a groove that put it sub 1:09. Contrary to most cars, the 2X turns in more with acceleration as opposed to letting off of it, which threw me for an absolute loop. It's also very easy to overshoot braking points if you approach them the same way you do with a "normal" car.

Looking at the performance numbers, it looked like the Tomahawk should dominate easily, but as you can see, less than a second separates the two. If I'm honest, this isn't the first time I fumbled a bunch with the Tomahawk GTS-R with a victory that should have been easy to obtain, but with a horrendously awkward beginning that made me work for the win. This also happened to be the last vehicle I won before the beta ended, and I had a race with a guy in the Alpine VGT. It honestly should have been a curb-stomp, but boy did I trip over my own feet a bunch before I adapted and smoothed everything out. To be honest, I think it's oddly topical that this duel surfaced before I got that car.

Tomahawk wins.

Also, I see a lot of people entered the drift trial, but as of now, I'm the only one who posted a score. Feel free to step up and take a shot!

Last edited:
Both cars have a learning curve to them, and when you overcome them, your lap times will certainly shorten.

...then I hit a groove .....

Man, I have no clue as to what you're talking about. My learning curve was like climbing everest, and the only groove I got was the clench in my sphincter every time I approached a curve!

Ok so for my completely partial review. I don't like the Tomahawks. Yes, I realize some love them and their are exclusive lobbies for them. These folks are obviously young-uns with much faster reflexes than I. It feels like I need to slow the game to half speed to drive them. I just can't react quick enough, and haven't built up enough trust in the aero to even begin to get comfortable.

The advantage to the Chappy ( for me, anyway ) is that I can add weight and take out power so it can get to 750pp. It's an easy winner in the events its eligible for, and not too difficult for me to drive at that pp. It does take some re-learning to apply power to stick the turns, but man, what a lovely feeling when that happens!

One of my GT6 career highlights was in the dorifuto event. I actually managed to drift the Tomahawk, and even beat "some loser" dude. What happened @ThrasherDBS? Weren't you even trying? It was fun, and listening to that clicking noise as the points racked up was neat.

Pics. Time at the 'Ring not totally accurate because. Offline. I'll do a run in Hall's nightmare before the event is over. My verdict definitely goes to the Chaparral even without running it in the TT.

Nurburgring GP/D
Tomahawk GTS-R 1:08.073
Chaparral 2X: tba

Open Swim
Tomahawk GTS-R 9,124

upload_2017-10-17_15-10-26.png

upload_2017-10-17_15-16-40.png

One of my GT6 career highlights was in the dorifuto event. I actually managed to drift the Tomahawk, and even beat "some loser" dude. What happened @ThrasherDBS? Weren't you even trying? It was fun, and listening to that clicking noise as the points racked up was neat.

Draggon, you did absolutely beautifully. I applaud you for seeing my challenge and taking a stab, not only in the wet conditions, but also in the Tomahawk and to cap it off, you beat my initial score. You did great.

But there's a thing you should know about me.

tumblr_oxzt75nL0w1tyszaso1_500.jpg

I was on Racing Wets that first time.

You guys have less than 24 hours remaining on both of those events, let's get some times and some scores on the board!

I couldn't make a room to do the events in the community
KIMG1550.JPG
so I did them offline.
For the time trial, the Tomahawk didn't take too long to get used to, and I managed a 1:04.1 fairly quickly.
KIMG1552.JPG

As for the drift trial, it took me about ten laps to even get a clean run, and much longer to get a decent score.
KIMG1554.JPG

Overall, the Tomahawk is really fun to drive on a race track, but out of it's element it is a handful. So are most race cars though.
As for the 2X, I've personally never been all that good at driving it, it handles weird. Being Lazer powered is cool, but just because it is creative does not make it better.
So my vote goes to the Tomahawk.

I’ll cast my vote on the Tomahawk.

Don’t get me wrong, the 2X is by itself a bonkers machine (I mean Friggin Laser Propulsion :eek:), But I’ve always felt the Tomahawk’s were more on my wavelength.

The GTS-R being the lightest of the 3 meant the car was always gonna handle good, too good it fact as it took some steady hands to hold it in a misbehaving slide on the drift event as I was going against what it was built for and it did not like it. :lol:

When you and the car are on the same page, not much can hang with the Tomahawk and you can still detune the GTS-R enough to run in 750PP events and dominate them.

Verdict: Tomahawk 👍

Trials for this duel have now closed! Thanks a bunch to everyone who participated! I have a meeting to get to, and later tonight, I'll calculate the results. Watch this space.

Week 116 Results!

Here's the standings from our Time Trial at Nurburgring GP/D

Chevrolet Chapparal 2X Vision Gran Turismo:
1st. @MrWaflz55 - 1:06.839
2nd. Some idiot - 1:09.178

SRT Tomahawk GTS-R Vision Gran Turismo:
1st. @MOPARbarrett5 - 1:04.195 (offline)
2nd. @Vic Reign93 - 1:04.262
3rd. @Draggon - 1:08.073 (offline)
4th. Some idiot - 1:08.761

And here's the standings for our Open-Swim Tomahawk GTS-R Vision Gran Turismo drift trial at a very wet Apricot Hill!

1st. @Vic Reign93 - 21,256
2nd. Some guy - 17,271 (RHs)
3rd. @MOPARbarrett5 - 15,020 (offline)
4th. @Draggon - 9,124 (offline)
5th. Some guy again - 5,835 (RWs)

You know one thing I noticed about this duel? Most people said "screw the car that's powered by lasers" and only tested the Dodge SRT VGT.

Well, congrats to our fearless leader, for actually being the only other person who drove the 2X. Congrats to Vic for making nearly all of our trials a competition for second, and congrats to MOPARbarrett5 for reminding us that Vic is indeed human after all.

And of course congrats to everyone who saw my joke entry into the drift trial and actually took it as a challenge. Now that I think about it, it was 4WD so technically we all followed my advice, and simultaneously proved to our fearless leader that we all indeed have some serious "bawls".

Catch you guys for the next duel!

Last edited:
Last week featured two insane vehicles from the bowels of PD that challenge what we know about driving physics. These experimental machines were quite the handful to start out with, you effectively had to learn how to drive again with them. Welcome to Vision GT.

Personally, I prefer the 2X. Not only is it much lighter and runs on electricity, but it's four-wheel drive (theoretically at least) and it has some crazy aero work. Forcing the driver to lie down to pilot the thing. The Tomahawk just felt less enjoyable for a wacky hyper-concept. The 2X is much more special in my opinion. It was also faster too!

I give my vote to the Chapparral 2X.

Let's tally up yours:
Chevrolet: 1
Dodge: 3

Aw man, I'm completely alone... :boggled:

The winner of Week 116 is the SRT Tomahawk GTS-R Vision Gran Turismo

SRT-Tomahawk-VGT-1-s.jpg

Let's see what the next week brings...

Back