GT6 Mt Panorama demo at EB Expo, Sydney

• Thread starter Flunkus
  • 323 comments
Flunkus
Hi guys,

This is my first post and I'm incredibly sorry if it should be in the 'news' thread or what have you.

I attended the 'EB Expo' in Sydney, Australia today and I was incredibly surprised to see the demoes running the just-announced Mt. Panorama, Bathurst circuit.

The kid that played before me allowed me to video him running two laps in an MP4-1C, which I will link below, and I drove the Z4 GT3 car. The demo was a 2-lap singleplayer race at the Mt. Panorama circuit during the day.

I took a few photos which I will hopefully embed after this if I can figure this whole 'forum' thing out but here's the link that the video will hopefully be at when it stops uploading.

I live in Australia and we have absolutely horrid internet speeds (especially upload.. something like 7mbps) but the current estimate is 153 minutes as of 6:15PM GMT.

If that link doesn't work, my YT channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/Flunkus

As I said it isn't live at the time of posting, but here's some pretty pictures to keep you interested.

Cheers guys

tumblr_mu5p87EdX71sha74to1_500.jpg

tumblr_mu5p87EdX71sha74to2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mu5p87EdX71sha74to3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mu5p87EdX71sha74to4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mu5p87EdX71sha74to5_1280.jpg

tumblr_mu5p87EdX71sha74to6_1280.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait to watch the video when it's done, thanks for filming it. 👍

But I'm going to condense all the pics and vid into one post. We discourage multiple posts in a row by one user. There's also the edit button on your posts that allows you to add more content to a post. ;)

Did you play with the wheel? Which one? Any assists or not?

I see by your channel youre iRacing player. Can you do a brief comparison based on limited time you had?

Thank you for your impressions! 👍

Since when does that kind of upload speed pass as horrid :lol:

that LFA :drool:

Last edited:
He told me in a PM that he's expecting it to be another hour (from the time of this post). Patience, guys.

Thank you for the welcome, Man of Mister!

Long time reader, of course.. first time I've posted!

The wheel was their standard G27 set up. Very light on the FF, disappointing and definitely made it a bit tougher as I'm used to cranking the wheel weight up.

Assists were not modifiable, you were only given the choice of a few cars.. none of which new.. and between Automatic or Manual transmission (you could use the stick shift but I used the paddles)

I was a bit shaky on the rig because I like the resistance of my T500 at home, so the wheel felt as light as a feather and led to some hairy corrections.. but basically my impressions were:

-Much more unforgiving than GT5 in the overall physics. Cars were harder to catch, would go into slides that felt totally different than what I've experienced in past GT games.

-In keeping with the unforgiving nature, cars seemed to react a great deal more violently to upsets such as hitting a kerb or going over a hill at speed. This made 'The Chase' at Mt Panorama extremely difficult in the Z4 GT3 and I'll admit I spun out both laps there. Locking the brakes seemed to have more dire consequences as well, cars seemed to carry a lot more speed under locked tyres.

-The sound was definitely not the new engine we've been hearing of. Sounded much the same as GT5. Nowhere near the likes of the Bathurst Trailer.

-This could be me, but (playing in interior view, of course) the other cars seemed a lot 'larger' in a realistic way. I really felt starved for space on the track which led to a very exciting top portion of the track. Constantly having to be mindful of the location of other cars and having to give way quite a lot to avoid an incident. Mt. Panorama is a tight track up the top of the mountain, so it could be a perspective thing.. but I definitely felt 'closer' to the cars than in previous titles.

As for a comparison to iRacing, I'd say it felt much closer. I know I might have been a bit rusty but that car was a handful. I did get away with some open-throttle corners that I would have been put 6ft under for in iRacing, so it's not quite there.. but it's quite a job keeping a race car facing forward with all tyres in grip, especially at speed.

As I said before going down Conrod Straight (A 300 km/h downhill straight with a slight kink before what is basically a chicane called The Chase, as I also mentioned before) is an incredibly hairy experience. Because I've never done that in a GT game before, there's nothing to compare it to.. but I really feel if it was GT5 the car would have stuck to the track like glue. In this demo I could feel the car lifting up over the hills and hitting that kerb in the 'kink' upset my car enough to over correct and send me flying into the grass on locked tyres.

29 minutes remaining on the upload! Sorry to make you guys wait! I'm keeping an eye on it.. even though it's 5:42AM here and I really should be in bed. :P

Last edited:
Much appreciated Flunkus, thank you very much 👍 👍

EDIT: is that your own lap on Bathurst at your channel? Congrats, I envy you :)

Since when does that kind of upload speed pass as horrid :lol:

that LFA :drool:

Yeah I was using my (obviously terrible) memory and quoted my download speed.

Upload is 0.70 mbps.

D'oh.

18 minutes!

I should warn you guys, though.. I'm talking to a friend and then the supervisor of the rigs while I'm filming which will probably be really annoying so you might want to turn the sound off, you couldn't hear the game from where we were asked to sit and wait, anyway.

Much appreciated Flunkus, thank you very much 👍 👍

EDIT: is that your own lap on Bathurst at your channel? Congrats, I envy you :)

Yeah, that's me in my crappy Hyundai.

I live in Sydney, which is about a 2.5 hour drive away from Bathurst. I actually go to university in Bathurst at a place right at the foot of Mt Panorama called Charles Sturt University. I study by correspondence, however, so I only have to go there when I need administrative facilities. Every time I do go, though.. I make sure to do a lap. ;)

It's a normal road when not being raced on. Although it'll be busy all of this week and next as THE race is on next weekend - The Bathurst 1000.

Wow that is a surprise. It is already playable and only yesterday they released the trailer. May be it was not complete till TGS and those guys missed to play who attended TGS. Anyways, I am looking forward to your video. Thanks :)

Thanks, guys!

The video is ready, although it has lost a lot of quality in the process.

I just put the original file into my dropbox, it will take equally as long to upload and I really should get to sleep as I have work in less than 5 hours.. but if anyone's interested I'll link a download from my dropbox when I wake up so you guys can get the clear(er) version.

Again, watch with no sound if you don't want to hear my annoying voice and stupid laugh. (:

Yeah I've watched more of it and the quality-loss has made the first lap difficult to see... watching it on YouTube rather than embedded here helps a bit. I'll upload the original so you guys can get your hands on it but in the mean time if you want to get a better view of the track about 3 minutes in he switches to chase-cam which makes it a bit easier to see.

Last edited:
How accurate do you feel it is?

also Thanks mate for staying up late, you really don't owe us anything but brilliant from you :cheers:

Thank you for the video and specillay for your impressions taking in conasideration that you should be sleeping right now. We really appreciate it! :D

How accurate do you feel it is?

also Thanks mate for staying up late, you really don't owe us anything but brilliant from you :cheers:

I owe this website a LOT. Trust me. I refresh GTP probably above 20 times a day on every device and I have contributed nothing to it! So at least I feel a bit better now!

It's really hard to give a solid answer without having a racing background and only having two nervous laps under my belt. If you look over at my YT channel there is a video of my driving it in my normal road car, I'll tell you the track feels a lot bigger when you're on it.

But that is highly likely a product of me driving it in a mid-size Hyundai at 60 km/h rather than a GT3 car at 100. I've raced Bathurst on rFactor, GRiD, Project CARS and Simbin's 'RaceRoom' game and I'll say that Polyphony's version is easily better than rFactor's and GRiD's.. and I'm going to say it beats Simbin's and CARS's too. The attention to detail of the scenery and landmarks (as someone who has visited the track multiple times in real life) and even most of the signage is spot on and the road-side buildings look like they've been given the same love and care as those at Silverstone.

Mt. Panorama is a public road and therefore has houses and farms dotted along it, and I'm not entirely sure those are present but I doubt even iRacing will be able to include things like that.

The big drop at Skyline where the track starts to go downhill again is scary as hell, as it should be. Even going down that thing at legal-speed is unnerving.

Last edited:
Thank you Flunkus for the awesome detailed feedback, it's good to hear GT6 is getting better now :) That comparison to PC sim sounds very promising, I can't wait to drive in GT6 :D

One thing that I noticed from the video is that there are the sealed cracks in the track and it also looked like it is bumpy, and not smooth like most GT tracks!

Last edited:
I owe this website a LOT. Trust me. I refresh GTP probably above 20 times a day on every device and I have contributed nothing to it! So at least I feel a bit better now!

It's really hard to give a solid answer without having a racing background and only having two nervous laps under my belt. If you look over at my YT channel there is a video of my driving it in my normal road car, I'll tell you the track feels a lot bigger when you're on it.

But that is highly likely a product of me driving it in a mid-size Hyundai at 60 km/h rather than a GT3 car at 100. I've raced Bathurst on rFactor, GRiD, Project CARS and Simbin's 'RaceRoom' game and I'll say that Polyphony's version is easily better than rFactor's and GRiD's.. and I'm going to say it beats Simbin's and CARS's too. The attention to detail of the scenery and landmarks (as someone who has visited the track multiple times in real life) and even most of the signage is spot on and the road-side buildings look like they've been given the same love and care as those at Silverstone.

Mt. Panorama is a public road and therefore has houses and farms dotted along it, and I'm not entirely sure those are present but I doubt even iRacing will be able to include things like that.

The big drop at Skyline where the track starts to go downhill again is scary as hell, as it should be. Even going down that thing at legal-speed is unnerving.

That's brilliant, Thanks again for your answers we've been waiting for any news and you have finally delivered some good news to us, Thanks man :cheers:

It really does blow my mind to hear that GT6's Bathurst actually beats the PC sims Bathurst. Thank you for the amazing feedback as well Flunkus. 👍👍 Now I'm even more excited to try it in GT6. :D

Who are people playing demo's so bad at this game? IT's like they bump in every car and randomly crash on straights...

I don't think there is a real answer, but it is probably because they might have not used a steering wheel before.

Back