GT6 Online has been kind of underwhelming so far...

Greece
Athens
AIexKidd
So, I have been racing online daily and I noticed that the online so far is not up to par with GT5's online.
Simply put, it's partly due to users and partly due to PD.

Users: Hosts do whatever they want. I find rooms that make no sense....people racing with all assists off with cars that are as fast as 650pp with sport hard tires. People doing qualifications on Nurburgring. "Clean" rooms are anything but clean. I see everywhere "Dirty nascar" and stuff like that. The amount of races that I had actually fun doing are almost nonexistant.

PD: For every two steps forward, PD takes a step back. Before joining a room I cannot see what are the exact limitations as far as Hp/kg/pp go and I cannot even see what tires they are using. In GT5 you could just hover over a lobby and the info would pop up. Also, the game is lagging a lot while people are joining the race from the lobby, sometimes I am having trouble even connecting to a room, huge lag spikes appear, qualifications mess up the race sometimes and everyone is a ghost and you can only see headlights, it's almost impossible to tune online as far as transmition goes because I am having trouble even moving the sliders and the garage is crawling as well.

I do realize that some of those things can be fixed via an update, but my GT6 online experience so far is not as good as GT5's, even after the game was out for 4 years. Also, why do I have to restore my system every time I have to hard exit the game....

I see the lag getting into a room. I also find there are very few good rooms. Like high HP on a city track? Waiting and waiting and waiting to race? That should straighten itself out as people get more cars.

I have only been online a couple of times but have done "searches" to see what's out there and you're right, picken's are slim. You would think there would be all kinds of rooms with guys running street cars on street tires or race car series etc. but it's mostly drag, drift, the usual RS tire rooms etc. Not being able to know what you're really getting into before you enter a room as far as PP, tires etc. goes, does leave a lot to be desired. Finding a good club to race with and using your friends list is more important than ever now.

Users: Hosts do whatever they want. I find rooms that make no sense....people racing with all assists off with cars that are as fast as 650pp with sport hard tires.

What is wrong with that? Road cars should always have road tyres. What is actually ruining online (apart from some glitch forcing every room to be stuck on bathrust) are people running 500pp rooms with racing tyres. What a great idea, lets make every single car handle horribly by putting tyres on with grip the suspension and drivetrain cant handle!

I have been trying to give people lessons on this by handing out one 1 minute plus beatings over 3 laps with a few cars I have specifically tuned to be able to handle those stupid tyres, but the message is not getting through :(

Oh and PD try to screw us but setting up driving aids like slipstream = strong and grip reduction weak by default...

What is wrong with that? Road cars should always have road tyres. What is actually ruining online (apart from some glitch forcing every room to be stuck on bathrust) are people running 500pp rooms with racing tyres. What a great idea, lets make every single car handle horribly by putting tyres on with grip the suspension and drivetrain cant handle!

I have been trying to give people lessons on this handing one 1 minute plus beatings over 3 laps with a few cars I have specifically tuned to be able to handle those stupid tyres, but the message is not getting through :(

Oh and PD try to screw us but setting up driving aids like slipstream = strong and grip reduction weak by default...
I agree about that as well. Street cars with low power output that have racing tires on for no apparent reason. On the other hand, going over 650pp you cannot race properly with sport tires when all assists are off, especially if you're using a controller like me. Both cases are pretty extreme, it's hard to find some balance in between.

Yeah, I honestly thought the same. Online has been a bummer. Same old drag and cops rooms as before plaguing the lobby. Hopefully the update next month will add the community part and it will get much more interesting.

Before joining a room I cannot see what are the exact limitations as far as Hp/kg/pp go and I cannot even see what tires they are using. In GT5 you could just hover over a lobby and the info would pop up.

This. What was PD thinking? Who cares what types of limitations are used, what matters is what those limits are. This should be patched asap.

The networking part is in my opinion not (much) worse than GT5. I think the grip changes depending on players connections was even worse in GT5.

Other than that I'm hoping there will be more people online, more choice of rooms, once everyone finished the career and got some cars.

Did I forget to mention that when you join a room online and they are racing, you have no way of knowing when the race will be over since laps are not displayed while in the lobby and also I found myself missing joining a race because I had no idea the race even started. I was setting up my car, I had no idea the race started...little things that can be frustrating.

Athens,

Is your connection strong enough to host your own room? It may take awhile, but eventually like minded racers will find you. Everyone is creating rooms that they enjoy, so hosting is the key or finding a good host.

On the other hand, going over 650pp you cannot race properly with sport tires when all assists are off, especially if you're using a controller like me.

Sure you can, people do it all the time and it's much better in GT6 with the "new" tire model. Not everyone can, but it's certainly possible and fun.

D_M
Athens,

Is your connection strong enough to host your own room? It may take awhile, but eventually like minded racers will find you. Everyone is creating rooms that they enjoy, so hosting is the key or finding a good host.
I can host a room, no problem. You know what the problem is though? I have noticed an increased rate of people leaving the room when compared to GT5. 550pp on Nurb? No problem, room is full. 600pp on Sarthe? Nope, Im racing by myself.

I only ventured online once in GT6, the host of the room I entered was well known in the clean shuffle community in GT5. However, the room was a total mess with major lag & dirty drivers. I'm hoping they add shuffle, & more options in the January update. Online is pretty much dead to me at the moment.

I have been trying to give people lessons on this by handing out one 1 minute plus beatings over 3 laps with a few cars I have specifically tuned to be able to handle those stupid tyres, but the message is not getting through :(

The game is still being sorted out, but as I recall, cars turned faster lap times on racing tires in previous titles. Until other tires, result in faster lap times, race tires will be the overwhelming choice.

I can host a room, no problem. You know what the problem is though? I have noticed an increased rate of people leaving the room when compared to GT5. 550pp on Nurb? No problem, room is full. 600pp on Sarthe? Nope, Im racing by myself.

You might have to compromise a little bit and make the room; (600pp / track vote). I'm one of those people that don't like Sarthe, but have ran Nurb everyday for months on GT5.

I haven't did much online yet, I did create a lobby a few days ago and ran a few races with one of my friends just to try out a few cars on Bathhurst but that is about it. My thoughts are that when the Jan update comes we will be seeing some more features for online and the activity there will start to pickup.

Another thing is that early on in the game most of the people I know have been enjoying the career mode, earning credits and stocking the garage. The online payout was so small when we ran that you could race all day and not earn as much as you could in career mode in just a few minutes.

Now some of us have a pretty good selection of cars and are getting credits built up so online racing should start to pickup

There's basically almost zero online GT6 community. Considering pote tially million sales plus I see about 50 people online with say 3 people in each room.

My title has "so far" in for a reason, I am not expecting everyone to be ready on day one, but those who are....yeah, so far it's not working too well. I just take risks joining rooms and see what's going on.

There's basically almost zero online GT6 community. Considering pote tially million sales plus I see about 50 people online with say 3 people in each room.

That's not surprising as those who haven't glitch-earned millions don't have that many cars to go online-racing with. It will pick up soon now, no doubt.

The online servers are rather vague, with a lack of detailed restrictions until you actually enter the server itself. With the time it takes to join servers, this is a bit silly...

I've also been kicked out of several rooms for various nonsensical reasons, ranging from 'defensive driving' (where the host rear ended me and spun out, thus becoming enraged and kicking me out) to simply voicing an opinion about which rules should be used.

That being said, there was one great server I was in a few days ago full of some British guys doing quali+races... good quality server 👍

Did I forget to mention that when you join a room online and they are racing, you have no way of knowing when the race will be over since laps are not displayed while in the lobby and also I found myself missing joining a race because I had no idea the race even started. I was setting up my car, I had no idea the race started...little things that can be frustrating.

Go to "watch race" and you can tell it to display race info which will show you how many laps are left.

Go to "watch race" and you can tell it to display race info which will show you how many laps are left.
That is 3 clicks and I want the game to be as fast / responsive / seemless as possible. Watching the track and everyone's position while waiting in the lobby is a brilliant addition, I am sure they can put the laps somewhere there.

That is 3 clicks and I want the game to be as fast / responsive / seemless as possible. Watching the track and everyone's position while waiting in the lobby is a brilliant addition, I am sure they can put the laps somewhere there.

Oh, sorry, didn't realize you don't have time to click a couple buttons. Probably best to just avoid online altogether since it requires at least 4-5 clicks to get in a room and several more clicks to select a car/get on track.

Oh, sorry, didn't realize you don't have time to click a couple buttons. Probably best to just avoid online altogether since it requires at least 4-5 clicks to get in a room and several more clicks to select a car/get on track.
Well you know, when you join a room and, although it appears to be loaded, you cannot click anything and you're just sitting there waiting for the room to load while doing nothing.

Can I see how far they are in the race at least?

Well you know, when you join a room and, although it appears to be loaded, you cannot click anything and you're just sitting there waiting for the room to load while doing nothing.

Can I see how far they are in the race at least?

Sounds like you need a custom built, lightening fast gaming PC and fiber-optic internet. Personally I'm regularly amazed at what PD has pulled off on a nearly decade old console with 1/4 the memory of a modern cell phone, so I don't complain about little things like having to wait a few seconds for a track to load or having to click a button or two.

Sounds like you need a custom built, lightening fast gaming PC and fiber-optic internet. Personally I'm regularly amazed at what PD has pulled off on a nearly decade old console with 1/4 the memory of a modern cell phone, so I don't complain about little things like having to wait a few seconds for a track to load or having to click a button or two.
I don't even care for PC gaming and all its glory, and I am not interested in power. STILL, you cannot deny the fact that having the laps next to the track preview wouldn't be more convenient.

I don't even care for PC gaming and all its glory, and I am not interested in power. STILL, you cannot deny the fact that having the laps next to the track preview wouldn't be more convenient.
Well to lessen your waiting time you need more power and the poor PS3 can't always accommodate our desires. I've honestly never had a desire to see the lap count from the lobby, the race will be finished when it's finished and seeing a lap count isn't going to change that. And if I do want to know how many laps are left I'm willing to click a few buttons to find out.

Back on topic, not being able to see what tires are being used in a room is a serious design flaw and make the online experience very frustrating. Other than that I love all the new little features we have in the online rooms. 👍

People are still mainly using GT5 servers still. The game has only been out for 2 weeks its not even Christmas yet. Probably sometime early January it will be full but it won't be any different from what GT5's online became.

Back