GT6 Photomode Photographers Q&A #17 - ARC74

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 233 comments
I have a couple of questions for these talented people:

-What time of day do you often use for photomode? And is this track-dependent? If so, could you give a few examples?
-Whats the most realistic looking weather type?
-Which carpaint looks the most realistic?
-Is there some sort of easy setting which you use that generates good photos most of the time?

I have a couple of questions for these talented people:

-What time of day do you often use for photomode? And is this track-dependent? If so, could you give a few examples?
-Whats the most realistic looking weather type?
-Which carpaint looks the most realistic?
-Is there some sort of easy setting which you use that generates good photos most of the time?

Well i'll give you my perspective, time of day is a tricky one beacuse it depends on what i'm out to achieve and personal preference. I think almost anytime can look good and realistic, differing times on certain tracks can look quite different but again it hard to really say whether one time or times is better for a particular track.

I think preference plays a part in that. I most often prefer the photographic golden hours, sunrise/sunset times. But for exact times well that's diffferent for each track so it would be impossible to quote universal times for you. For instance 8:30am on SSRX looks quite different in brightness and feel from the same time say in Spa or Willow.
But the warm hues of the ealry morning are generally nice.

If you're going for realism, well almost anytime can work but some good editing helps. I think weather can play a bigger part in the look of a shot more so than time. In some tracks 0% weather can look quite realistic (eg. Sazuka, SSRX, Silverstone) and if you want a softer shadow look 25% - 50% can work pretty well too. 100% can work well sometimes but is harder to get looking realistic I find.

But again this all comes down to what you're trying to achieve look-wise. Most of the newer tracks are pretty darn good with their light and textures so that makes a difference.

As for paint I think Solid's usually come out more realistic more often, but metallics aren't far behind since they've been improved in GT6 from GT5. Again some good colour/contrast and tone editing can help here. I think the hardest paint to get to look realistic to me is Polarized/Reflex style paints. That can vary a lot in look based how it interacts with light.

Finally I don't believe there is such a thing as an 'easy setting' that will magically make shots great. This all boils down to what look you are after. Generally for moving shots Panning mode 3 is the most useful and playing with your camera distance from the car itself can vary results a lot. Changing f/ values is quite important too. For close up shots or shots where you want to isolate certian small or part featurers then a lower f/ value is usually better (eg. 2.8 or lower.) And for more distance shots or wide and panoramic shots a higher value is oftern better (eg. 8 or more.) But for a standard distance in which a car mostly fills the frame then the default 4 or even 5.6 works well.

But above all, I believe there is no easy way, it takes patientence and experiementaion to figure what works better and what doesn't. But once you have a feel for how things react with setting changes it doesn't take long to do tweaks. The key is tweaks usually need to be made according to whatever the shot is, there really isn't one setting to rule them all that will work on every shot situation. ;)

I hope that helps. 👍

GPR
Well i'll give you my perspective, time of day is a tricky one beacuse it depends on what i'm out to achieve and personal preference. I think almost anytime can look good and realistic, differing times on certain tracks can look quite different but again it hard to really say whether one time or times is better for a particular track.

I think preference plays a part in that. I most often prefer the photographic golden hours, sunrise/sunset times. But for exact times well that's diffferent for each track so it would be impossible to quote universal times for you. For instance 8:30am on SSRX looks quite different in brightness and feel from the same time say in Spa or Willow.
But the warm hues of the ealry morning are generally nice.

If you're going for realism, well almost anytime can work but some good editing helps. I think weather can play a bigger part in the look of a shot more so than time. In some tracks 0% weather can look quite realistic (eg. Sazuka, SSRX, Silverstone) and if you want a softer shadow look 25% - 50% can work pretty well too. 100% can work well sometimes but is harder to get looking realistic I find.

But again this all comes down to what you're trying to achieve look-wise. Most of the newer tracks are pretty darn good with their light and textures so that makes a difference.

As for paint I think Solid's usually come out more realistic more often, but metallics aren't far behind since they've been improved in GT6 from GT5. Again some good colour/contrast and tone editing can help here. I think the hardest paint to get to look realistic to me is Polarized/Reflex style paints. That can vary a lot in look based how it interacts with light.

Finally I don't believe there is such a thing as an 'easy setting' that will magically make shots great. This all boils down to what look you are after. Generally for moving shots Panning mode 3 is the most useful and playing with your camera distance from the car itself can vary results a lot. Changing f/ values is quite important too. For close up shots or shots where you want to isolate certian small or part featurers then a lower f/ value is usually better (eg. 2.8 or lower.) And for more distance shots or wide and panoramic shots a higher value is oftern better (eg. 8 or more.) But for a standard distance in which a car mostly fills the frame then the default 4 or even 5.6 works well.

But above all, I believe there is no easy way, it takes patientence and experiementaion to figure what works better and what doesn't. But once you have a feel for how things react with setting changes it doesn't take long to do tweaks. The key is tweaks usually need to be made according to whatever the shot is, there really isn't one setting to rule them all that will work on every shot situation. ;)

I hope that helps. 👍

Thanks you very much for your clear and very complete answer :)

#7 - Ray29rus

1, How about an introduction?
Hi everyone! My name is Rodion, I'm from Russia, Arkhanglesk. I'm 17 years old. I think I like cars since birth. My first car game was Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit. I didn't have computer so I played with friend in his home. Many NFS was after, HP2, U, U2 - I like them. But something changed in ~2007. Test Drive Unlimited. It was awesome: great cars, nice landscapes... I think that TDU can't get bored. It is in TDU I started take shots. I liked it then, but I knew that it can be better. I improved my skills, even won some small competitions. Photoshop, which I learned by virtual cars tuning, greatly helped me in this. It was already 2011 then I found and interested in Gran Turismo 5. These screenshots, which could not be distinguished from real! 1000 cars! Ferrari! Evo! I really wanted to buy PS3 and GT5! And I bought it 12 July 2011, and I remember this date because it's was my birthday ;) Of course, I take first picture in first hour of playing. And It was kart :D I continued to improve my skills in photo, started to use photoshop, became a member of Gran Turismo Photo Art Group in Russian social network VKontakte. One administrator, eugene2023, posted amazing pictures from here, GTPlanet, with links on galleries of authors. Then I got to know GTPlanet and stayed here! Thanks to all of you for this! By the way, I'm administrator of that group in VK now, with eugene2023, Sergey and Preximer. A slight digression: today I tried to pass exam on driver license and failed again :( I hope that March will be my month.

On of the first and the last shots in TDU...

-
...and GT5

-
Some Photoshop works and RL photos

2, What keeps you coming back to the GTP Photomode Forums?
Great people, great atmosphere, great photos. And news about Gran Turismo, of course :)

3, What where you looking forward to the most before GT6 was released?
First of all is new cars. New Ferraris make me happy. Then tracks and, especially, new track editor.

4, Of all the new cars in GT6, which one is your favourite and why?
Ferrari 288 GTO, because it's nice, fast and Ferrari!

5, Which of the new locations is your favourite and why?
Matterhorn. Who doesn't like Matterhorn? And I very expecting new ~20km track. It and Matterhorn is my favourites because it have nice views. Also, I like Mount Panorama like track for race. Very interesting track.

6, Is there any feature, that isn't in the game, that you would have liked to see?
Possibility to open car doors/hood/bonnet, camera in interior and driving in Phototravel; take shots in gallery view... and this is only a small part of what I would like to see.

7, What car, which isn't in the game, would you like to have included in GT6?
Thousands of them. Except Ferrari and Lancer Evo, I would like more Audi RS, RS4 Avant '13 for example, and Audi Sport quattro S1 without these huge spoilers, splitters, etc. Also I want more Alfa Romeo, like 156 GTA. Aston Martin! DB5, DBS, DBR9! And it is only below the letter "A" :D If I will write all cars that I want in GT6 it will be so big interview

8, Could you share a location that you'd love to see added to GT6?
I would love to see something with beach and see. Because I very want to take shots with Ferrari California there. And bring back Top Gear Test Track! And Toscana road! And new city circuits will be good. And more rally stages!

9, Could you talk us through one of your GT6 pictures from start to finish?
It's gonna be hard, but I will try. I'll take one of the last.
I wanted to convey the glorious light of the sun during sunset at Goodwood. In the game it looked almost as much as I wanted. Unfortunately, on the computer, it looks not so good and I wanted to fix it. The curves were the primary means. Also I used photofilters, "Rays" and "Knoll Light Factory" plug-ins and lights/shadows. By combining and repeating all this I think I got the desired result.

10, How about giving us a mini tutorial on any aspect of photographing in GT6?
I get a better picture when it have any idea. Such photos are usually first appear unexpectedly in my head, and then I'm doing a screenshot just by corresponding of the picture in my head. Inspiration, and everything goes by itself! For beginners: if you just want to shoot some car, first of all choose right location. This location should approach the car. If this is not a race car and you do not want to show any photos of race or time attack, try to choose a place where Speedway is similar to the usual road. Try to avoid falling into the shot any bugs or bad textures. Check that the car has been in focus. By the way, the GT5 forums have a great tutorial about GT camera.

11, Can you give us a mini tutorial on any aspect of editing?
I don't know how write something about it. In my head it's like wibbley-wobbley photo-shopo stuff. I can't write anything particular. By the way, link on tutorial in the text above have editing tutorial too.

12, What part of photography/editing do you need to improve on and why?
I think that almost all. Just look at jBhIpS works, for example. They are too good. I still need to grow and grow!

13, Do you ever see a picture and think "How did they do that?". Which GTPlanet photomode members picture would you like to know more about?
Really difficult choice. Has always been interested, ShaolinMasta, how are you doing so clean and fresh shots? Take, for example, one of the last. I would have all been blurred or sharp.

12654879743_2c95f8a7a9.jpg

14, Do you have any words of wisdom or anything else you can share to inspire the rest of us?
Draw inspiration from everywhere. From music, games, weather, films, colors, hapennings, pictures... everywhere. Sooner or later you will get what you want.

15, Finally, Who would you like to nominate for the next Q&A session and why?
MoMo PeeZero. His excellent shots always look "fresh" and realistic.

I hope I did not make a lot of mistakes in English

Thanks Rodion 👍

Very nice interview, Rodion ! :cheers:

I'll try to explain what I've done with picture.

Here's original.

12755629365_95061d4373.jpg

I did not touch curves at all, except that I lighten cars with masked curve layer. Then I added a bit of contrast with gradient map layer (soft light mix mode) and started to work with colors. I led yellow colors little bit closer to the red, red colors to the orange a little bit and added some magenta and blue to the neutral (gray) colors. So I got a bright orange sunset. Than added few textures(grain and lens flares) and flares (made the sun shine)and then raised level of the black color. That's all :)

Nice to read more about you Rodion. I must say you are still very young and your skill level has risen greatly and quick. I assumed you were older than that. ;)

I can totally identify with the issue of shots looking great in game but then on the computer they look meh. Happens to me a lot.

I can also see the challenge in putting words down to explain how you approach your editing. It doesn't feel easy for me either. Good to know a little bit of that side from you though. And your English was fine mate. 👍

:cheers:

This thread doesn't seem as popular as it was on the GT5 forum!

Hmm, well I don't think that it is because of the thread really. As Polarfox mentions it seem GT6 is quite as big a draw as GT5 was. Could be there is just less 'firsts' about it. But I do believe everyone that views this thread is very appreciative for it and the time people take to write there answers.

Great read Rodion:tup:
Always a joy to get a sneak preview of your shots on Flickr first!!:cheers:

This thread doesn't seem as popular as it was on the GT5 forum!

I love this thread:tup: It's a great source of informal tips and tricks, and a great insight into who's behind the avatar.
But it is true - as mentioned above - that the photomode forums are quieter with GT6. If the camera had made a significant leap forward then perhaps the guys from the past may come back. But with banding worse than ever in my view, (especially the sunrises/sets on Matterhorn!!!:ill:) there's so much cleaning up to be done before you even get started. But as I've already mentioned somewhere, at least its good to see jaggies significantly reduced.👍:cheers:

#8 - MoMo PeeZero

1, How about an introduction?
Hello, my name is Gary, I'm 26 years old, and living in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania U.S. I am an auto mechanic, and also, I'm in commercial electrical school.

My hobbies, (Used to be before finding you guys), biking, photography (Amateur), and art (Drawing by hand).

I'm also a world news junkie.

2, What keeps you coming back to the GTP Photomode Forums?
The community, When I hit the threads, and see what my Bros come up with, I lose it! I Enjoy the conversations, the galleries, I now have friends from all over the world! And that is priceless. And to see the best free art ever!

3, What where you looking forward to the most before GT6 was released?
A wider selection of cars, more tracks, smarter AI, better lighting, new photo locations, and better physics, as I punish these vehicles. Was hoping for a grid start also.

4, Of all the new cars in GT6, which one is your favourite and why?
The 15th anniversary Pagani. I love the handling, engine noise, and fully tuned, it is a contender.It's my ghost car for reliable laps. Wish I could change the color, but keep the decals.

5, Which of the new locations is your favourite and why?
Hands down...Ascari!!! Forget about it, whatever weather conditions you throw at it, photos are always great for me.

6, Is there any feature, that isn't in the game, that you would have liked to see?
Actual rain that touches the car, windshield wipers actually being used (In a photo), And a ROUND sun in the sky, not a glowing shortbread cookie.

7, What car, which isn't in the game, would you like to have included in GT6?
Porsche 956/962...:drool:

8, Could you share a location that you'd love to see added to GT6?
Paris, Champs Elysee-Arc de Triomphe in the distance, Same for the Louvre. Moscow Red Square, Rolling hills and cliffs in Scotland, Prague, A California beach with ocean view., London Bridge, Minsk, ect.

9, Could you talk us through one of your GT6 pictures from start to finish?
I start in GIMP

Layer 1 (Overlay)

Desaturate, Invert, gaussian blur

2nd layer (Hard light, soft light, screen, ect). Any one of those many options depending on the photo.

Export- Check it out on the monitor then...

Back to GIMP for clean up, I REALLY hate jaggies, they kill shots, I get them all. Even the premiums are jagged. (Smudge tool.)

Desaturate color, maybe sharpen, then use curves for the finish.

If I use any effects, I go to PS, where my actions are stored.

10, How about giving us a mini tutorial on any aspect of photographing in GT6?
Close up cornering.

When at a an apex, any type of turn, facing your head on, car focus your camera on a headlight...

Panning 3, and shutter speed on 60, take the shot... (You can change shutter speed),

BOOM! You now have a shot with a sweeping background.

Try it while the car is leaning, and you get a great shot of the struts compressing while cornering.

11, Can you give us a mini tutorial on any aspect of editing?
Got one, very simple. Watermark removal. All I do is match the color of the background with smudge, and wipe the mark away, then smudge the edges back into the shot . 4 wipes, done.

12, What part of photography/editing do you need to improve on and why?
i need a help with textures, When i do one, it always looks terrible. I wanna pull off a RetroGiant, Ronin, Stig, Sean Braganza, Nato, Mazda, Baggist74 type of shot. That would open a new level of creativity for me.

13, Do you ever see a picture and think "How did they do that?". Which GTPlanet photomode members picture would you like to know more about?
Oh Yeah, I once saw a shot from Taiga, GT5, Pagani rotor, red as heck, emitting sparks, I never forgot that to this day, NB, and Antholicious with those doors open...How??? Lee, you had a shot of a Nova with a butterfly on it, life changing stuff. Each of these examples make me ask...How???

14, Do you have any words of wisdom or anything else you can share to inspire the rest of us?
If one is serious about this, it can be very rewarding. Practice, ask questions, study real car shots, really LOOK at the other artists work, they provide clues. Then practice again.

The one thing that I try to do is openly express how these photos from you guys move me. I laugh, I jump, I stare, I scream, then I tell the artist about it. He/ She needs to know. You guys blow my mind every day. WOOOOOOOO!!!

15, Finally, Who would you like to nominate for the next Q&A session and why?
Giulietta73, I like the cut of his jib! he's heating up the comps, and I think it's high time to meet the man.

Thanks Gary 👍

Thanks for sharing Gary. You're enthusiasm and genuine appreciation for people works is very evident and appreciated I'm sure. And it's been great to see how you've come along way in bettering yourself since your start, certainly a quality shot maker these days. ;) 👍

Sorry for the late ! @leeislee be sure, this thread remain one of the most interesting one of this forum :)

Great read Rodion, I feel very close to your way to consider the photowork in GT :cheers: And your tips are good 👍

GPR
Thanks for sharing Gary. You're enthusiasm and genuine appreciation for people works is very evident and appreciated I'm sure. And it's been great to see how you've come along way in bettering yourself since your start, certainly a quality shot maker these days. ;) 👍

+1

Very interesting read Gary. As always we can feel your kindness and your modesty through your words :) You're a true friend mate and when I read this "The one thing that I try to do is openly express how these photos from you guys move me. I laugh, I jump, I stare, I scream, then I tell the artist about it. He/ She needs to know." I'm even more sure of that.

Good stuff @MoMo PeeZero . And I'm flattered by the mention bud. If you need help with textures, I created a tutorial a while back that might sort you out.
Also as George has mentioned, you've come a long way, constantly evolving. I still remember when you'd just come on the scene, onwards and upwards from there :)👍

Waiting to see what Mr. Eric has to say now!

Back