GT6 Photomode Photographers Q&A #17 - ARC74

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 233 comments
Really great read! Tried your mixer brush tip and that really does work pretty dang well! Good tip! How did you even find out about that? Just experimenting?

My favorite thread is back ! :)
Thx a lot Lee for this come back. It's always a pleasure to learn more about the GTP photomode community members, always interesting and inspiring read !
Thank you very much Corey, Robert and Nux for taking time to give us such interesting responses. Sure I've learn a lot once more ! :)

My favorite thread is back ! :)
Thx a lot Lee for this come back. It's always a pleasure to learn more about the GTP photomode community members, always interesting and inspiring read !
Thank you very much Corey, Robert and Nux for taking time to give us such interesting responses. Sure I've learn a lot once more ! :)
I want to leave a signature to every word. Great work Lee and very nice interviews Corey, Robert and Nux.:cheers:
Thank you, guys !

Really great read! Tried your mixer brush tip and that really does work pretty dang well! Good tip! How did you even find out about that? Just experimenting?
I discovered the tool through a "Photoshop New Features" video. The guy talked about how this brush acts similar to a real brush painting on a wet canvas. So after a little bit of experimenting and tweaking of the settings, I found a setup which worked for me.

#4 - @max351

1, How about an introduction?
My name is Maxime, I'm 21 years old, graphic arts student living in Belgium. I'm not a real photographer but I've some courses about photography. I really love gaming, music and especially motor sports. I'm a GT fan since GT1 but really became a player with GT2. I've discovered the photomode only in GT5 and photoshop at the same time. Music is an important part of my life. I listen all the time and everywhere.

2, What keeps you coming back to the GTP Photomode Forums?
I'll be succinct, just to share and enjoy the work of others. GTplanet remain the largest GT community.

3, What where you looking forward to the most before GT6 was released?
I really wanted them to improve the cars sound but it's not the case. I enjoy the new cars and tracks but Im just disappointed.

4, Of all the new cars in GT6, which one is your favorite and why?
The GT-R NISMO GT3. Just badass without racing livery. Overall in automobile, I prefer the look rather than the car's history. But, in real life, my favorite car is the GT86/scion FR-S with the Rocket bunny body kit.

5, Which of the new locations is your favorite and why?
Ascari, because this track is so awesome and varied. I think all phototravel locations are ugly for me.

6, Is there any feature, that isn't in the game, that you would have liked to see?
A livery editor !! More options to customize like Body kits or the Width of rims. And finally, not really a feature, the real cars sound...

7, What car, which isn't in the game, would you like to have included in GT6?
As I said earlier I really want the Scion Fr-s with the Rocket bunny body kits. Technically, the scion Fr-s is in the game but not how I would like.
Holy **** O_O
3688320f6d6afbb4df94871735860b5412130c.jpg

8, Could you share a location that you'd love to see added to GT6?
Like riceman, I'd love an abandoned area or warehouse. A garage would be nice also, like the garage's background into the game. Regarding tracks, I'd love Algarve and macao.

9, Could you talk us through one of your GT6 pictures from start to finish?
It’s really simple, I’ve abandoned presets and focused on curves, levels and color saturation. It's hard to explain a procedure because I work with my feels.

154434AscariCircuitcomplet.jpg
11980349495_0e50c14c7a_n.jpg

10, How about giving us a mini tutorial on any aspect of photographing in GT6?
I can’t give you a tutorial simply because I work with feelings. I just use the base of composition but honestly, I really don’t care about technical aspect of photography. I do what I like and not what conventions told me to do.

11, Can you give us a mini tutorial on any aspect of editing?
Referred to Q9. For me, the editing is personal. The bases are Curves, levels and colors then you adjust as you like. Editing tutorial is like a preset. Before, I overuse presets but it’s like there isn’t no story to tell. Seriously, try to find your way to edit your pics. I make some videos of my editing but it’s a way to tell and share my story ;) It’s more funny to try by itself.

I can tell you what softwares I use ^^ Photoshop CS6 and some plugins like Sharpener Pro and Knoll light factory. I also use after effects for lens or weather effects.

12, What part of photography/editing do you need to improve on and why?
I'm not looking for improvements but constantly looking for something new. I don’t say I don’t need improvements, I just say that’s not what I looking for ^^

13, Do you ever see a picture and think "How did they do that?". Which GTPlanet photomode members picture would you like to know more about?
It’s your work lee! There is also the jBhIpS’s work that is so clean.

7877173778_352455a944_n.jpg

Just how to get so clean ??? Amazing.

14, Do you have any words of wisdom or anything else you can share to inspire the rest of us?
Music is my inspiration. For me, it’s the best way to imagine a story. I listen a lot of melodic or chill songs. My brain guide my melancholy or maybe it’s my melancholy that guide my brain…I don’t know…

Images are better than words
« I’m a robot » with the song « Kavinsky odd look » is my favorite story in my own work. « Love found » is my favorite picture of all time in the GTworld.

9312661993_674bdf4730_n.jpg
9360088813_f087639019_n.jpg

15, Finally, Who would you like to nominate for the next Q&A session and why?
AdrianF1 because this guy has inspired me to start editing my photos

PS: Sorry for my fu**** bad english XD

Thanks Maxime đź‘Ť

Last edited:
Great interview Max and thanks for the very kind words about my pictures.

Candy Blue 66 Beetle
How i made this picture look clean was to seperate every panel of the Beetle using the pen tool and then using the paint brush tool i cleaned up any jaggies and all the banding that was in the picture. I done the same for the shadows. Just by cleaning up those pixelated/jagged parts of the car can really make any picture look great.

The roof rack and stickers where of course added. I drew the roof rack myself as i couldn't find a good picture to use for it, adding a slight rusty texture to it makes it look real.

The same process was used for my VW bus edit too...

Pacific Coast Highway
I'm glad you enjoy Love Found because your picture, "I'm a robot" is my favourite picture too!

đź‘Ť

Last edited:
Nice read, Maxime! đź‘Ť Now we hear from The most popular sim racing YouTuber! :D

Just a curious question, Max, why at one point did you remove every single photo from your GT5 gallery? I was pretty worried about you when that happened. :nervous:

Thanks for sharing Maxime!đź‘Ť I too would love to have the Rocket Bunny kit in the game, along with RWB kits for the RUF's and Liberty Walk kits for the BMW's, Lambo's & Ferrari's.

Thanks for sharing Maxime, was a good read. I always listen to music all the time too, especially when creating. ;) đź‘Ť

#5 - @Adrianf1

My name is Adrián, I'm 21 years old, administration of networked computer systems student in Madrid, Spain. Since I was a child I have always been passionate about cars and motorsports, also cycling. As for video games, since I bought the PSOne and the first Gran Turismo, I've been a loyal player of the GT saga, especially GT4 on PS2 was my favorite.

For years I've done things in Photoshop, especially for a 2D racing game in which I made a circuit, then came the release of GT5, and I discovered the possibilities offered by the photo mode, so little by little I was making more and more photos, and during the first two years I did more than 2000 pictures.

In mid-2012, things changed a bit since I bought a PC gamer and I decided to leave a little the photos and I made a channel on youtube called ADRIANF1esp, and since then I've the photograph a little apart and I'm now more involved in making videos, I still have not done many pictures of GT6, but hopefully resume them shortly.

Above all, to see the great pictures that uploaded the members of GTPlanet community, especially in the realistic and artistic photo threads.

I've always thought that GT5 was truly the GT5 beta, and GT6 the true GT5, especially I hoped that the errors were solved, an improve in the physics and sounds, and have new cars, tracks and interesting photographic locations.

4, Of all the new cars in GT6, which one is your favourite and why?
There are many that I like them, but especially the Pagani Huayra is a car that I like for its beauty and power, and in the photos looks good.

5, Which of the new locations is your favourite and why?
Undoubtedly, Ascari, is a circuit that combines all curves: chicanes, banked corners, fast and slow corners, etc.. In addition it is surrounded in a beautiful area and as a whole is a fantastic circuit.

However, PD going to add a new circuit of about 30km located in Zahara de la Sierra, Spain, that also looks fantastic, and where we can make many pictures.

6, Is there any feature, that isn't in the game, that you would have liked to see?
A livery editor without any doubt, its very necessary to Gran Turismo, and it would be great to make our custom car skins.
Also that they add back some GT5 photographic locations as Siena and Lucerne, had a good level that could be in GT6.

I especially like that they put a Formula 1 classic eighties or nineties, and a car for the spanish marked a before and after as the Renault R25 or R26, I'd love that could be GT7.

I think the circuit of Macau would be a great addition to Gran Turismo, is an urban and complex circuit, and from what I've testing in other games I'd love to see it in GT. Also some modern circuit as Yas Marina.

At first my photographs were basic angles and positions, without much sense of speed or a not too good approach. Over time I was looking to give my photos a more daring angles, a more realistic and professional focus, especially playing with the camera until the desired position.

The time of day and the position of the sun, shadows and reflections are key when making a good picture. I believe that 90% of good photography is to capture the moment, the remaining 10% can be retouch editing programs.

Just have to play with the possibilities offered by the game camera and its settings, stop the repetition at the right time and find the ideal position for the photo and convey something, transmit for example realism, beauty, speed, etc.

Mostly retouch curves, intensity and saturation, unsharp mask, some noise in some photos and lens correction. Nor I do anything special, I add just a little more sense of realism.

I would further enhance the effects of light and shadow, play more with car reflections when photo editing, and also improve the tones a little more of the picture. I would like to learn more other editing software besides photoshop and some of its puglins, maybe that offers me more possibilities.

13, Do you ever see a picture and think "How did they do that?". Which GTPlanet photomode members picture would you like to know more about?
That happens to me whenever I enter the subforum, sometimes I stay for a while watching the picture trying to see what has been done to get to do that, for example leeislee your photos are awesome!

14, Do you have any words of wisdom or anything else you can share to inspire the rest of us?
When taking pictures you need to be inspired by something that has come to mind, I personally try to visualize before making the photos what I want to get, sometimes you get frustrated because you don't get to do what you were looking for, so if you intend is to make good pictures, you better do other thing and wait until you inspiration come back.

NBDESIGNZ, his photos are pure art, and the philosophy to edit the pics is the one I like.

PD: I know that my English isn't the best, sorry if you don't understand something.

Thanks Adrián 👍

Last edited:
Cheers Adrian, was a nice read and your English was fine. No need to apologize. ;) đź‘Ť

Last edited:
#6 - @NBDESIGNZ

Hi, first of all thanks for the nomination, Adrian!

My name is Nicolas, I'm 30 years old, I live with my girlfriend and our cat "Batman" in a small village in the east of France. I'm working for a company which imports muscle cars and parts from the USA. My love for cars started since I was a little boy growing up in my Dads car restoration garage. I got addicted by GT since the first one and still a big fan of the franchise. I started taking photos since GT4 but only a few ones, since GT5 I'm completely in love with this feature and this will continue through out the lifetime of GT6.

The community here on GTP is one of the best on the WWW. People are always nice and friendly, and a lot of talents are among us. I'ts really a pleasure to visit and comment the threads and galleries and to talk with people worldwide.

Mostly, I was waiting for the new track and Phototravel locations and naturally all the new cars and the cars with standard to semi-premium conversions.

4, Of all the new cars in GT6, which one is your favourite and why?
My absolute new fave car ingame is the Shelby GT500 Mustang, raw V8 muscle power, maybe not the best driving car in GT6 but I can't help my self I just love it. Since I drove one IRL a few weeks back, this love has been accentuated.

5, Which of the new locations is your favourite and why?
I really like the new tracks, or most of them, especially the 2 Willow spings circuits, the lighting and simple backrounds are very nice for taking pictures. The City of arts and sciences is my fave Phototravel location, the others are nice too to but much more limited in terms of car and camera positions.

First of all more options for us photographers, more shutter speed setups, more camera angle freedom on tracks etc... Would be great to have a livery editor too, more tuning options and an option to create our own paint color.

They're so many great cars that aren't in the game, but one of them would be a Lancia Delta S4 Stradale, my dad has one and it is such an awesome car to drive. Would be nice some older models from 30s to the 60s too. The car I want the most in GT6 is the new Mclaren P1, fast as hell and the best looking Hybrid in my opinion.

There is one, the Circuit Paul Ricard in south France, not just because I like to drink "Ricard", no, it is simply an awesome track to watch races and to drive on it.

For this picture for example, I started with 4 photos which I merged together with "Hugin", Then I used "Gimp" to copy all the car body, put it on a second layer, applied some blur on it, accentuated the details by adding some clearness on the parts I wanted and finally put in "Lightroom for the finishing touches on colors, toning, grain and so on.

Since I'm not the best for making tutorials this will be a quick answer. Everybody has his own style, preferences for camera positions, static or moving shots etc... First of all I look for a nice car/track/location combo, then I try to get the best lighting, composition and since I edit all of pictures this is the biggest and most important part of the work. So, all I can say, is to watch others work either in GT6 or real life photos to look what is possible or not and asking them for some help and tips if needed.

This is really depending on what I have in mind when I edit a picture or a whole set. Mostly I start with "Gimp" with removing the watermark. Then if needed I try to clean up some jaggied parts of the car or background, include a license plate or other parts from real pictures, like open doors or else, I often apply some texture layers with lens flares, bokeh or else too. and to finish Then I work on the toning and light with several layers by using "Lightroom".
But there are a lot more possibilities to increase the quality of a photo like most of us already know.

This is really hard to answer by myself, I know that I have still a lot to learn and I'm willing to but this would be easier to answer from somebody else. Since I started here on GTP, I've learned so much from many members and I'm still improving, or at least I think so. :D

This happens a lot of times. So many awesome edits are around here, for example this one, from you, Lee:

What exactly have you done to it, the techniques you used, the textures and light effects, etc...

Well, the big names here on GTP don't need this, for all the new ones, the best is practicing and learning by experience.

The next person I would like to nominate is Ray29rus (Rodion). I'm so amazed by his works lately, quality edits and very inspiring pictures.

Thanks Nicolas đź‘Ť

Last edited:
Great interview Nicolas. Love the insight into your edits. You always manage to make cars look so clean and shiny and thanks a million for the kind words about my picture.

Hmm...i'll see if i can remember the process for my Vision GT picture.

I took 4 pictures and made a pano in photoshop then i cleaned up any edges and fixed the lens distortion.

Then, as with all of my sunshine edits i clean up any critical parts of the car that need it, such as shadows, jaggies and so on. The shadows of the mercedes looked terrible so once that was cleaned up i then go about adding my atmosphere.

I always create the sun first, that was i know where and how strong the other weather elements need to be. So, i drew a large, soft white circle in the corner and added a slight lens flare to it using a simple outer glow layer style. A few lines here and there add a bit more of a light streak glow to the sun.

Using a photoshop brush i then drew a few spots of bokeh light around the sun as well as adding some light spots on the grass.

A few simple layers of soft white lines with varying blur and opacity make the mist in the air and thats it really.

Some clean-up, a tweak on the colours and levels etc, add a slight pink tone to the shot and i'm finished.

Oh, and i almost never sharpen a sunny image, the dreamier then better!

Phew! đź‘Ť

Last edited:
Nicloas, you crazy talented rascal!!! To know a little more of the machine behind the man is great. Awesome interview! I often wonder "How he do that???" every time I view your photos. You are very inspirational, and I now try shots just like your blue Aston because of you. I'm more 'Action junkie'.

Continue raising the bar, and All Hail 'Batman'!!!:cheers:

Nicolas, you have amazing talent and skills. Your photos give me a lot of inspiration to keep on taking more photos and learn how to improve myself over time.

That was a really great interview Nicolas, I enjoyed it a lot. Great to have some insights on your editing, thoughts about the game and you. I can see how driving GT500 would make you an addtict for it, lucky man wish I could drive one. And I would love the P1 to be in the game, if only just for the shoot value. ;)

Your cat is Batman, :lol:

Cheers mate. :cheers:

Back