GT6 unlocked with 3 cars

• Thread starter Champ2014
  • 10 comments
United States
United States
When I found out that the McLaren P1 wasn't going to be in GT6 I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the bones on the new game. So I did the next best thing. I rented it.
Once I did that I was pleasantly surprised to find out that you no longer have to grind through experience points just to get at the better/faster races.
So, I decided to find out just how far into the game I could get with the least amount of resources.
The conclusion, I was able to unlock the whole game with just three cars. (Okay, four, but I'm not counting that Honda that you're forced to race at the beginning.)
I thought I'd share my strategy and include my game observations along the way.

First, You have to pass your license tests in order to unlock the next stage of races. And to unlock your license tests you have to earn some gold stars. So winning the requisite number of races to earn those stars was the top priority. In other words, I didn't waste time buying special cars necessary to win all of the events right away. For example, I didn't bother buying a Japanese car just to race in the "Japanese Tour". This was important because I needed to save the cash in order to purchase the "right" car later on.

Second, after mastering GT5 I'm a bit of a purist now. I really don't like modding my cars if I don't have to. So car selection was very important here. Also, I didn't want to waste time spending money on tuning parts. Nor did I want to bother with suspension tuning and all stuff.

Fortunately, your first "prize car" is the Renault Clio. And it's actually a pretty slick little car! With this car you will want to enter and win every race possible in the Novice and NationalB specs. If you are an experienced driver, many of these will be cake. Some will be a little more challenging. The point is, it's enough of a car to get you to the next step. With proper driving it WILL take down more powerful opponents.
The key here is understanding the AI driving style. And that, basically, is that they are ALWAYS conservative when braking into a corner. So your strategy is to learn how to brake late and brake hard. And be patient. Some of the harder races you will win by less than a second. But you CAN win them. I didn't have to do any race series more than once in order to earn enough cash to move on. If you exhaust all the races that the Clio eligible for you should have around $300,000 in the bank. So, as long as you've also taken care of your license tests first you should be ready to move on to your second car. (Remember, ALWAYS take care of your license tests as soon as you earn enough stars to unlock them.)

Okay, second car choice. I needed a very good handling car and one with some good speed. I'm a bit of a McLaren freak, so it's no surprise that I went straight for the MP4-12C. It's a very good handling car right out of the dealership. Again, I didn't want to waste time tuning suspension and all. Plus, I had pretty much mastered this car in GT5, where it had some issues that I didn't think matched the real car all that well. So I wanted to see if they improved on the car.
Well, they did. It was readily obvious that the new Aerodynamic/Tire/Suspension modeling that GT6 has is a big improvement over GT5. This car behaves way more realistic than before. For example, in GT5 I found it impossible to run flat out through the latter half of Bergwerk and the Kesselchen sections of the Nurburgring. In GT6, it's tricky but it is possible. WAY better suspension and aerodynamics now! And NO tuning needed!
In order to get the stars you need, you'll have to use the power limiter in order to get the car's PP down to 500. These races will be cake, but use them to get used to the cars better handling.
As you progress the races will get harder. But, believe me, with proper driving, this car is up to the task.
Except in one instance. In order to unlock the InternationalB license you'll have to win the GT championship. Now, if you wanted to, you could beef up the engine and probably be evenly matched with the top cars here. But you don't have to. In this race series the top cars are the Ferrari FXX, the Veyron, and the Huayra. You won't beat them with the MP4-12C. They have too much top end speed and the races in this series are top speed oriented. BUT, you should be able to take third without much problem. And third is all you need to unlock your license tests and get at InternationalA.

Once you're here you have a choice. You should have enough money for the Corvette ZR1 race car, which is a formidable car. Or, you could beef up the MP4 engine. OR, you can attack the InternationalA races with your MP4-12C in stock form. These races will be more of a challenge. But many of them ARE winnable. Rememer, be patient. You don't have to get into first place on the first lap. Many races I won with less than a second to spare. The key is the same as before, the AI are always conservative when breaking into the corner. Use this to advantage to close gaps and make passes.
Winning the 550PP Cup, the 15minute races, and placing in the 600PP Cup will get you the stars needed to unlock the GT race series that's standing in the way of your final S License tests.
Once you've taken car of those races you should have roughly $1.3million in the bank.

Final car for this strategy is (Big Surprise!!) another McLaren. In this case, you want the F1 Stealth model.
First of all, this car is a BEAST! Once you mastered the MP4-12C this F1 model will feel like cheating when driving it. It accelerates like a bat out of hell. And it stops on a dime. In other words, it's the perfect car to use against the AI in GT6. OH! it also doesn't seem to have the gearbox problem that the F1 had in GT5. I was able to hit 230mph on several occasions with no modding at all.
I went back and re-entered the previous GT championship from InternationalB (The one I placed third in with the MP4-12C) and absolutely crushed the Huayra and FXX. Honestly, it was a blast.
Anyway, in order to win the last GT championship standing in the way of your S license tests you'll want to do two little mods to the car. 1) get the upgraded Air filter. 2) buy the Stage 3 engine mod. Now you will have enough of a car to take down the LMP racers in the final GT Championship.
So, go ahead and do so. It's a fun series. The races with more top speed will be the more challenging ones. By the time you get to Nurburgring you should be good enough to win by a minute or so. Again, with the proper driving style, the more turns there are, the better chance you have of winning. Even in these faster races the AI always brakes conservatively. And if there is a car better than the F1 at diving deep into and blasting back out of corners, I haven't found it.

Okay. So now that the S License tests are open I have a real complaint. These test are straight up retarded!!! And I mean that literally. Dude! By the time I get here I've already done enough laps of Willow Springs to know how to handle it properly. Trying to beat some lap time with a slow car that handles like fresh poop is just obnoxious!
So, even though my competitive juices make me want to get the Gold in each of these I eventually said "screw it" and settled for just passing. Which was actually easy enough.

And now, I have the whole game unlocked. I have two totally bitchin cars in my garage. (Plus the random prize cars from along the way.) And I have close to another million in the bank again. And I did it with minimal tweaking to just one car.

A few random thoughts........
-The handling in GT6 is obviously much better than GT5. If you are a hack driver, this might not be noticeable. But a purist driver will notice and appreciate GT6 for that fact alone.
-The new tire squeal on the Race tires is cool. I don't know if I actually LIKE the sound. But at least it's more realistic.
-All the same complaints about GT5 are here. Ie. no realistic damage, crappy looking people in the crowds. But, honestly, I never understood why anyone cared! I'm here to drive, not look at the crowd. And I don't go around throwing my cars into walls. Hell, I even get pissy when AI drivers start slamming into my car.
-On that note, I'm fairly certain the AI has gotten a little more ruthless in GT6. Several times I was tearing arse down a fast straight only to find myself suddenly spinning out of control. Replay showed that some crappy AI driver came up and intentionally nudged my back panels. GRRRR!
-The new FIA GT3 inspired races are really cool! I can't wait to try out these new cars. But why, oh why, did they leave out the McLaren MP4 GT3???!!!!! FFS! I would have been okay with not having the P1 if they had included this car. Hell, they didn't even include the GT3 version of the Ferrari 458! This is easily the most common car in FIA GT3! What the hell?

Final tought...... GT6 is better than GT5 from a pure driving perspective. But, due to my heavy bias, I'm waiting on the DLC version of the McLaren P1 before I actually go out and buy the game. hahaha.

Thanks for the great insight, Champ2014! This is the type of information that I really appreciate from the forums. I have only just started the grind, so I will give this approach a try. However, being a very average driver, I might have to resort to some tuning to give me an edge.

You can do this in almost every racing game. Midnight club three was basically a cake walk once you got the Elise. Need for speed most wanted could be beaten with the first car you bought hahaha. Good times.

Interesting. Not only did we both go through the career with similar tactics and intention, we also choose nearly the same cars! My first after the Honda was the Elise '96, then the McLaren MP4-12C. followed by the F1 GTR '95. I think it's not difficult to beat AI FXX with the 12C, but I got a lot of practice from GT5 with it. Btw: If you know Nürburgring well, a stock 12C on Sports Softs will even be able to win the 24min of Nürburgring in Super with a lot of time to spare...

I'm trying to play similar style but a bit slower. Just using the pricecars so far without tuning. Now I'm at the I-A races and hoping my Cizeta V16T will be good enough for those too :)

You can do this in almost every racing game. Midnight club three was basically a cake walk once you got the Elise. Need for speed most wanted could be beaten with the first car you bought hahaha. Good times.

I beat the Huayra (which I think is like blacklist #2 or #3) in the 2012 Most Wanted with a BMW M3. The rubber-banding was so awful in that game that it actually worked to the player's advantage half the time - you could beat anyone with any car, skill not required. God that was an awful game.

Nice writeup! 👍

Only thing I'll say is, I upgrade the ECU, air filter, and exhaust(sport) first thing. Then I buy the best tires allowed for each race. I do this on A. I use B to detune, and keep C stock at all times.

I also tend drive my favorite cars no matter how outgunned I am. :cheers:

I bought the Impreza hatchback, I've managed to use this to beat pretty much half the races so far with it, seems a bit meh that you can do that if honest. Between that and my Clio with an occasional use of my Elise, I've completed 90% or so so far into ia.

I am only so far into the game, and I have only driven my trusty Sprinter, it is surprisingly capable.

Back