GT6 Updates - install all up to 1.22 in about 4 hours

• Thread starter 57AcAceca
  • 68 comments
I had a hard drive failure in my original PS3 so had to reinstall from scratch. Only keep the PS3 for GT6 so that's all that is being installed. Been trying for 4 weeks and wasn't able to get past update 1.10. I was using the recommended technique to only perform one update at a time, but when it came time to install 1.10, the system would hang. It would take two or three days of download/installs just to get to the 1.10 failure point. I then let the 1.10 download/install run for nearly two days (since the others took a long time) but it would never complete. This is using a wired LAN, although I had originally used wireless. Reason I took 4 weeks is I had tried twice with two new 320gb hard drives in case one was bad, but got the same results. Yesterday I bit the bullet and purchased an SSD to try. I used a Samsung 850EVO 500gb SSD. The results are below, but to summarize, I was able to download and install ALL the updates last night in an elapsed time of 235 minutes. That was using the one update at a time method so included the time needed to go back and disable the Ethernet, run the install, enable the Ethernet, download and install, and do it all over again. The table below shows my experience, I hope it formats correctly. Read it as follows: left column is the update number, I'm guessing the 1.01 is actually the base code on my CD as that didn't download, my downloads started with 1.02 and went thru 1.22. The second column is the size of the update I got from an online document, some of my downloads were slightly different by a few MB. The third column is the time, in minutes, for the download/install, then game install step to be completed for that update, using a wireless connection. The 4th column is the same, but using the wired connection, it was a little faster. The last column shows the times using a wired connection and my new SSD. So looking at update 1.02, the size was appx 1205mb, the download/install of that update took 310 minutes. The wired connection was a little faster at 290 minutes. However, the wired/SSD operation took 18 minutes. At first I thought it failed because it was so quick, but when I tried the next update, it went thru fine. Update 1.03, 99mb, took 48, 41, and 4 minutes respectively. Outstanding improvement in update installation time. I can't promise your updates will be as spectacular but it could be well worth your time and money to upgrade to the SSD. If I was a gluten for punishment I might try just doing all the download/installation process in one lump rather than individually.

It was late last night so I didn't actually play GT6, but I did start it up to see what would happen. The initial screen popped up and cleared in about 2 seconds, took me to the initial video of the track intro, I hit O to cancel that and a few seconds later was at the main game screen. This used to take me 6 or 7 minutes to get thru everything but now it was probably less than 6 or 7 seconds to be ready to play. Tonight I'll download my game saves and see what improvement there may be in the game itself due to the SSD. Even if there is no improvement in game play, the ability to get these %^*#@ updates installed was worth the cost.

----------------Size----Wireless----Wired----Wired/SSD
1.01----------1200-----BASE
1.02----------1205-------310-------290----------18
1.03-------------99---------48--------41-----------4
1.04-----------214---------78--------72----------10
1.05-----------100---------38--------35------------4
1.06-----------295--------122-------118----------12
1.07-----------961--------302-------289----------17
1.08---------1400--------425-------410----------21
1.09-----------598--------256--------245---------12
1.10---------2100------Failed------Failed---------25
1.11------------30------------------------------------1
1.12-----------484----------------------------------16
1.13------------10------------------------------------1
1.14----------548-----------------------------------11
1.15---------1100----------------------------------18
1.16-----------536----------------------------------14
1.17-----------327----------------------------------12
1.18-----------200-----------------------------------8
1.19-----------270----------------------------------10
1.20-----------311----------------------------------12
1.21-----------180------------------------------------8
1.22-------------35----------------------------------- 1

I gave up on trying to get GT6 updated, i'll just play GT4 or 5 instead. :(

Can't argue with that, I may try to reload GT5 just for the heck of it. But I will seriously think about adding an SSD to my PS4!

Yep-GT4 & GT5 rule and are still my king and queen :cheers: And I now have both with those special abilities 🤬 to do and play things my way.

That's amazing, and great news. I've got an old PS3 that has corrupt GT6 data on it, I may just have to get an SSD and try this. I've been playing GT6 on a new slim, but I just hate to see the old console going to waste.

Resolved my FREEZE errors as well

I was having a terrible time playing GT6, it would constantly freeze, I couldn't complete anything without a half dozen freezes during play, anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes. Additionally even loading the game was painfully slow. However, with the new SSD, my PS3 boots from power up and into GT6 in about 20 seconds. Entering a scenario (event load to ready to race START) is about 8 to 10 seconds rather than 2 or 3 minutes. Game play itself is smooth and quick....... Another reason to try an SSD if you are having problems. GT6 is running so well on the PS3 I'm not even anxious to try GT Sport anymore. I will of course, but GT6 with the SSD is like a brand new game!

Could someone please direct me to the best places to explain how to do updates one at a time? I'm about ready to give up. Thanks

Basically its download and install an update to the PS3, quit and disable the internet, boot GT6 and install it into the game. Enable the internet, download and install the next one to the PS3, quit and disable the internet, boot GT6 again and install into the game, then repeat for the next 20 updates. Once you've done it, it's not as complicated as it seems. Please use an ethernet cable if you can. Last time I did this is took 8 hours with time out for dinner. Here's a link:

http://community.eu.playstation.com...ended-GT6-Updating-Instructions/td-p/22766000

Thanks, it is definitely taking a long time.

It really does take along time but @Draggon is correct about the procedure. My PS3 went out about 4 months ago and I had to get a new one and I followed those exact same instructions. Work perfectly.

It is complete BS that you have to do this to get your game to work...
It certainly is.

From the link above:

It seems that the GT6 updating errors are being caused by players not updating for longer periods of time. Those who keep up with updates seem to have less problems.
Well, I got my first PS3 this month. I just got GT6 today. Naturally, therefore, I have not had the opportunity to keep it updated and must do so from scratch.

I have a 500GB superslim model and so far it is on 9/21 having been going for about an hour. We'll see if it updates successfully or I need to follow the convoluted instructions on that link, which nobody should have to do in any sane world... from a Sony first party developer no less.

I hope they sorted this nonsense out for the PS4.

It certainly is.

From the link above:

Well, I got my first PS3 this month. I just got GT6 today. Naturally, therefore, I have not had the opportunity to keep it updated and must do so from scratch.

I have a 500GB superslim model and so far it is on 9/21 having been going for about an hour. We'll see if it updates successfully or I need to follow the convoluted instructions on that link, which nobody should have to do in any sane world... from a Sony first party developer no less.

I hope they sorted this nonsense out for the PS4.
No nonsense with the PS4 updates, if you have any problems with the GT6 updates just PM me, because I only download all the updates just over a month ago.

No nonsense with the PS4 updates, if you have any problems with the GT6 updates just PM me, because I only download all the updates just over a month ago.
Thanks, it is now on 19/21 so fingers crossed it will be okay... I hope!

edit - it did all 21, I started the game and now it's doing more installing... it went up to over 1000 minutes left, then a few mins later is down to 190 mins left. No... it's going up over 300 again.

I guess I shouldn't make any plans to play this any time in the near future eh.

I have GT5 as well (academy edition) and the install was relatively simple albeit I know a lot of the updates were on the disc.

Update... it just finished successfully :cheers:

Last edited:
So this is quite frustrating. I just bought the game. I didn’t know it had update issues. So kept trying the normal way to install. I am now about halfway thru the one at a time. I tried to buy my Honda Fit and it keeps freezing. When all updates are installed is this game stable and playable?

So this is quite frustrating. I just bought the game. I didn’t know it had update issues. So kept trying the normal way to install. I am now about halfway thru the one at a time. I tried to buy my Honda Fit and it keeps freezing. When all updates are installed is this game stable and playable?
Once all the updates are done you should not have any problems.

I very recently did the install following many guys instructions to do one at a time which I did. Not any problems except for a few freezes I had crashing into the hay bails with a certain angle at the Goodward big corner and when doing the coffee break drift challenge over and over and over and over again non stop for hours ! I’m now at 50% and that silver is my only blemish which still is frustrating and haunting me to come back...

I very recently did the install following many guys instructions to do one at a time which I did. Not any problems except for a few freezes I had crashing into the hay bails with a certain angle at the Goodward big corner and when doing the coffee break drift challenge over and over and over and over again non stop for hours ! I’m now at 50% and that silver is my only blemish which still is frustrating and haunting me to come back...
Awesome so once the updates are done the game is good? Sweet
I bought it from GameStop over a month ago and was about to go get a refund. I have loved gt since the first one. I just don’t play games much these days. Thanks for the info folks.

Ok 1.10 is failing when I get to the please wait install on the game. Not sure what to do now. Do I just keep trying? I see in the chart above it failed to some degree. How can it go past this? It is the 2gb file.

It will not get past this one. I have restarted everything multiple times. Says installation failed every time. Is it possible to delete a single update? Or am I going to have to start over? This is bloody ridiculous.

It will not get past this one. I have restarted everything multiple times. Says installation failed every time. Is it possible to delete a single update? Or am I going to have to start over? This is bloody ridiculous.
When you download a single update, each time do you disconnect from the internet and then start the game, and let the game install the update ?.

So I am stuck when I look at the game data file it says 1.12. The last file was 500 something mb. It fails installation every time. I have ejected. Restarted. I am running out of patience having done this for three days now. Any ideas?

So I am stuck when I look at the game data file it says 1.12. The last file was 500 something mb. It fails installation every time. I have ejected. Restarted. I am running out of patience having done this for three days now. Any ideas?
Does your ps3 turn off before the update finishes?

It doesn’t work!! Hence all the threads about it! If it was playable without the updates then it wouldn’t be an issue.
Does your ps3 turn off before the update finishes?
When I did mine it kept on turning itself off during the updates so I had to change that setting

Back