GT6's Drift Community - WTF happened?!

• Thread starter JDM SRE70
  • 55 comments
Hey man, I said that about drifting cars with over 600hp because if you start and only learn how to drift high horsepower cars, you could develop bad habits that don't translate to you drifting any other cars. If you learn proper technique and understand how to drift cars with less amounts of hp (AE86 with a 4-AGE is a perfect example), then you could use those techniques in any other car. There is more to drifting than just power, it's more about balance. Which is why you see a lot of pro drivers in Japan drifting street legal cars with 200-600HP because they focus more on technique VS. power. Once you learn how to drift a car with a less power, you could drift any car.

Here's an additional link of people talking about drifting with more/less power: http://www.drifting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1859

Using a controller isn't very realistic when practicing drifting or any other driving technique, because you don't develop the muscle memory that translates to the real world. Drifting especially has a lot to do with timing and hand-eye-foot coordination. It's really important to develop the muscle memory for the different techniques, so when you go and do it in a real car you could do it subconsciously. Having a sim setup with a 900º wheel, 3 pedals, a 6-speed gear box, and a pullable e-brake really helps you to develop real driving technique.

When you use a controller, you can flick the stick left and right in a matter of milliseconds, which isn't really realistic when you think of someone turning the wheel from full lock-to-lock in the same amount of time. You will understand much more about drifting if you could practice doing every initiation the way it is done in a real car. Then by the time you practice in a real car the only difference is the g-forces and the fear, everything else is essentially the same.

I'm in Chicago and you're in WI, so maybe I could teach you how to drift on my simulator.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=848b4068483e6b35ef31895f125a70b2&oe=5675F412
I dont need to be taught how to drift, I think that was a rather weird comment. There's tons of tracks here in Wisconsin, and I'm definately not short of skill but, using a controller for initiate using a Scandinavian flick, powering over, brake drifting, and even just turning into a corner. I just think it's slightly ignorant of you to not see the potential in a controller. You might not be using your feet when you're using a DS3 but practicing the same techniques will generally give you the same background information and understanding of hows the techniques work, and when and how they should be applied. It's more able learning then how realistic someone's car/set up is

Last edited:
I dont need to be taught how to drift, I think that was a rather weirs comment. There's tons of tracks here in Wisconsin, and I'm definately not short of skill but, using a controller for initiate using a Scandinavian flick, powering over, brake drifting, and even just turning into a corner. I just think it's slightly ignorant of you to not see the potential in a controller. You might not be using your feet when you're using a DS3 but practicing the same techniques will generally give you the same background information and understanding of hows the techniques work, and when and how they should be applied. It's more able learning then how realistic someone's car/set up is
Never mind man. I wasn't trying to disrespect you in any way. I was only trying to say that drifting with a controller, isn't the same as drifting in real life. And I offered for you to drift on my sim-rig because it's a lot of fun and teaches you a lot about drifting in real life. So hopefully I'll see you on the track at USAIR next season for a drift day

Never mind man. I wasn't trying to disrespect you in any way. I was only trying to say that drifting with a controller, isn't the same as drifting in real life. And I offered for you to drift on my sim-rig because it's a lot of fun and teaches you a lot about drifting in real life. So hopefully I'll see you on the track at USAIR next season for a drift day
you have to learn that in the GT6 community, you can't tell anyone what they can't drift.

Hmm @JLax well done pointing out the fact about creating 'muscle memory' with a wheel -which helps translate to a real drive experience- in

contrast of flickering thumbs on a controller.

Nevertheless, in my opinion, to have saved ourselves from confusion and dis-clarifications, your first statement/comment could've been worded better

by providing the information from your second statement/post from the get go. Aside from that, well said. 👍

This place is SUPER dead! I dont see any(okay, I lied. I see a few) familiar faces in the few minutes of browsing I have done. Miss drifting in general, one day my car will run. Hopefully this year, and I will get back into it.
That you Lay? I think we bumped heads once or twice back at the prime of GT6. You're right though dude all the GT OG's died off.

I sold my PS3 and moved on to PS4 months ago. RIP GT6

That you Lay? I think we bumped heads once or twice back at the prime of GT6. You're right though dude all the GT OG's died off.

I'm alive but always on PS4. I would totally love to be on GT all day. But ya' know. Can't find fu***** tandems man.

Indeed it is me.
I still have a PS3, haven't bought a 4 because life/time.

This place is SUPER dead! I dont see any(okay, I lied. I see a few) familiar faces in the few minutes of browsing I have done. Miss drifting in general, one day my car will run. Hopefully this year, and I will get back into it.
i do too man, i got a ps4 but ive been on the ps3 playing gt5 because i can mod there :)

What happened and unlike on gt5 is everybody in the drifting community, right from jump street split into 2 groups. (1)The I only drift the proper drive train cars, with the proper tires with the correct lobby's setting group. And 2 the I will try to slide anything in the worse setup lobby, while not using the proper drive train or tires. What that did was cause people to band together with whoever they know in private lobby's. Or force people to seek lobby's in foreign countries that have settings closest to what they are comfortable with. So chances are if you can find many open lobbys, either you cant find a lobby set up to the way you are use to, or you don't have many friends who drift. Plus sometimes you have to troll through custom track lobbys until you find one where people are drifting. This is why from day 1, I said people need to understand how to set up lobbys and cars right. So that way all drifters can find a decent lobby to be in any given time. Rather than jump on only to find a few lobbys that aren't even set up the right way

gopro.png

Andrew Grey's line at 5:30 of this video is spot on!!

I don't mean this as a slight to anyone or any group, it's just a general observation that I've noticed over the years with the drift scene on GT6.

To be honest, I noticed very similar trends in the Toge and Highway racing scenes as well.

I've been playing a lot of rfactor recently. But if AC looks that good I'm definitely buying the living @#@# out of that game man. Jesus Christ that S15 looks nasty

NOTE: that is a PC mode only, i don't think mods will be available for console , just clarifying maybe you intend buying for PC 👍.

By the way, AC is releasing this:
Screenshot_jordan_191_ks_black_cat_county_31-3-116-15-28-47.jpg

Damn, had some great tandems tonight with @UeoKatsu and rsgriff and a couple other drifters that have been around for a while. Even some new faces got off just to watch the tandems. Felt just like the ol days, everyone drifting and not complaining; just having fun.

Tbh. You can't see any much of the community anymore. All lobbies I see are tsukuba and suzuka. On top of that the people all run 900hp cars so that's not fun. However yesterday me and my teamate Rollback had a good lobby up, and there was no complaining just sliding.

Recovering from surgery currently, but I'm always down to drift. Currently team less as my team all kinda gave up on GT6. Anyways, add me; purplepeople199. I'm still not 100% confident on my wheel so we might be bangin doors a bunch however that might not be a bad thing...

PS3 gave up and moved to FFXIV, got committed to the raid scene, been addicted ever since :lol:
Bruh, I'm waiting for FF15. It's going to be the greatest ever hopefully, and the beta was definitely super good!

Tbh. You can't see any much of the community anymore. All lobbies I see are tsukuba and suzuka. On top of that the people all run 900hp cars so that's not fun. However yesterday me and my teamate Rollback had a good lobby up, and there was no complaining just sliding.
When do we ever really get to see any of the community man? There's really no way to get everyone back on because we're all so skewed out on PCars and rFactor.

Recovering from surgery currently, but I'm always down to drift. Currently team less as my team all kinda gave up on GT6. Anyways, add me; purplepeople199. I'm still not 100% confident on my wheel so we might be bangin doors a bunch however that might not be a bad thing...
Good luck with recovering man.

Back