GT7 best wheel for FFB?

• Thread starter Met Entso
  • 38 comments
United Kingdom
Barcelona
Metentso
I'm considering buying a wheel... again. I bought the GT DD Pro but I returned it because of the lack of FFB, for instance not having any FFB on kerbs. In the Fanatec forums they told me it was because of the way the game is coded, and that the game didn't send FFB information to the wheel.

Afterwards, in this forum, i read that the T300RS does get FFB from kerbs. So maybe it's a bad implementation of FFB for the GT DD Pro? Or for Fanatec because there is a post about lack of FFB for the CSL Elite too.

So I'm a bit lost here. There will be a way to fix FFB for the GT DD Pro, like with an update from PD? will this ever happen? Or am I better off getting a Thrustmaster?

I only play GT7 at the moment, with a PS4, but will get a gaming PC soon.

I'm considering buying a wheel... again. I bought the GT DD Pro but I returned it because of the lack of FFB, for instance not having any FFB on kerbs. In the Fanatec forums they told me it was because of the way the game is coded, and that the game didn't send FFB information to the wheel.

Afterwards, in this forum, i read that the T300RS does get FFB from kerbs. So maybe it's a bad implementation of FFB for the GT DD Pro? Or for Fanatec because there is a post about lack of FFB for the CSL Elite too.

So I'm a bit lost here. There will be a way to fix FFB for the GT DD Pro, like with an update from PD? will this ever happen? Or am I better off getting a Thrustmaster?

When I last played GT7 with a Fanatec GT DD Pro, I did feel kerbs and some I could not feel at all. You say you read that the T300RS does feel kerbs. You need to have someone with a GT DD Pro to go over a certain curb, and have a T300RS go over the same Kerb to get your answer.

I have a TGT II can't complain the FFB is good by GT7 standards (I run 4:1), you can feel kerbs (some of them, while others not for some reason) plus it also has a transducer to add some extra vibration to your rig. Shame it's a belt driven one, so might be not as precise as a DD, but I'm really happy I didn't wait for GT DD Pro and got T-GT II instead as it launched, gives me everything I need, not even considering upgrading to GT DD Pro anymore.

First you have to know GT7 FFB is weak compared to others games like AC, dirt or F1 series, no matter with kind of brand or product you choose as a wheel, this won't change

Second at launch with my T300 FFB on GT7 wasn't that strong but is was informative enought (it was a bit similar to AC, it was pretty good but with far less details), not bad, since the last patch FFB is dumb, and I can't get any motivation to boot the game again, I wait for a patch

I think you own one of the best wheel ATM for PS5, the issue is not your wheel, it is GT7 lack of FFB, and I don't think getting a T300 will improve your experience, it's not as precise and powerful

My advice wait for futures updates, they may fix the FFB, well, I hope

CBH
When I last played GT7 with a Fanatec GT DD Pro, I did feel kerbs and some I could not feel at all. You say you read that the T300RS does feel kerbs. You need to have someone with a GT DD Pro to go over a certain curb, and have a T300RS go over the same Kerb to get your answer.
Ok that complicates things... But I didnt hear anyone complaining about the lack of kerbs in T300... And during the time I owned the GT DD Pro I didn't feel any at all, and I purposely stepped on every kerb I could. It was odd, hearing the sound from the game, which is very cool, like the car is vibrating intensely, and getting nothing from the wheel. With the gamepad the experience is much more realistic.

I have a TGT II can't complain the FFB is good by GT7 standards (I run 4:1), you can feel kerbs (some of them, while others not for some reason) plus it also has a transducer to add some extra vibration to your rig. Shame it's a belt driven one, so might be not as precise as a DD, but I'm really happy I didn't wait for GT DD Pro and got T-GT II instead as it launched, gives me everything I need, not even considering upgrading to GT DD Pro anymore.
Yeah the TGT II is really a good option but it's a bit expensive and feels bad to invest in a non-DD wheel right now. Although, I have to say, the sensation I got from the DD Pro was too "elastic", it did feel like the force you get from magnets, too smooth and "clean" for a car, this is how it felt to me at least.. In this sense I preferred the t300RS which I had for GTSport for a couple of months. Also, didn't notice any difference in precision. Usually they say you get more details from a DD wheel, but seems GT7 doesn't give much...

I certainly get good feedback from my Podium F1 on GT7, although not to the same level as ACC on my PC.....
The lack of FFB might be more obvious for the DD Pro then. I follow several pro drivers in youtube like Kie and GT and they never complained about their wheels. But then again, they didn't complain either about the DD Pro when some of them reviewed it.

First you have to know GT7 FFB is weak compared to others games like AC, dirt or F1 series, no matter with kind of brand or product you choose as a wheel, this won't change

Second at launch with my T300 FFB on GT7 wasn't that strong but is was informative enought (it was a bit similar to AC, it was pretty good but with far less details), not bad, since the last patch FFB is dumb, and I can't get any motivation to boot the game again, I wait for a patch

I think you own one of the best wheel ATM for PS5, the issue is not your wheel, it is GT7 lack of FFB, and I don't think getting a T300 will improve your experience, it's not as precise and powerful

My advice wait for futures updates, they may fix the FFB, well, I hope
I don't have it anymore, now I'm using the gamepad, which is not bad but not so immersive and my hands ache after an intense race :D
Yeah hope they fix it specially when it has gone worse for the T300, i read some complains about that in the forums as well.

Don't let the game now influence you're decision later gt7 isn't all there is to driving games no way it should be dictating your purchase. Future proof once you get a pc you might never use the ps4 again

It is the way the game is coded. Some tracks don’t have the feedback that GTS had.

Don't let the game now influence you're decision later gt7 isn't all there is to driving games no way it should be dictating your purchase. Future proof once you get a pc you might never use the ps4 again
You are probably right... I'm quite invested in GT7 though, but yes, with a PC it can change. But even if I have a good wheel for PC I would hate that it doesn't behave properly in GT7.

I'm currently using a 2nd user T300RS with the 'Hyper Hi-Tech Advanced' cooling mod..... (a 1.5inch hole drilled in each side of the casing😜 ) on a PS5 and I can feel the kerbs fine....
On Monza it is different feel whether the kerbs have sausages in line or across direction of travel......
It feels completely different in ACC on PC though, much more detail....
Could try asking a couple of streamers about the Fanatec, I think both SuperGT and Eeirriss (!?) {Steve & Rory} both use it.....

The kerb problem is not a specific DD Pro problem - I have one and as other have said, some kerbs affect the wheel and some don't. I don't think you will find it any different with any other wheel, but people probably complain less online when they buy a $300 wheel setup vs a $700 wheel setup. There was a DD Pro specific update in the last patch, but to be honest I didn't notice any particular difference when playing.

Last edited:
When I got my DD Pro I wasn’t feeling much of anything. I was pretty underwhelmed, frankly, and thought I’d made a huge mistake. But I did some research and fiddled with the settings for the wheel itself and eventually found some great feedback. There are still some curbs that don’t register very well, but in general I’m pretty happy with it. So I’d say, no matter what you settle on, make sure you check on the specific hardware settings because GT7 doesn’t really have many options.

Ok that complicates things... But I didnt hear anyone complaining about the lack of kerbs in T300... And during the time I owned the GT DD Pro I didn't feel any at all, and I purposely stepped on every kerb I could. It was odd, hearing the sound from the game, which is very cool, like the car is vibrating intensely, and getting nothing from the wheel. With the gamepad the experience is much more realistic.
The GT DD Pro is a very nice wheel when I last played GT7, but it never bothered me if I never felt some kerbs or not. Why I hardly play GT7 now is not because of the wheel, because of the game.

Last edited:
My opinion: Get a used T-GT II.

GT7 FFB is so weak compared to other games (sims), so GT DD Pro is a waste of money.

Transducer is a benefit, OpenWheel addon is cheap but very good, also BT LED Display is awesome and works fine with GT7.

I combined this with T-LCM pedals which are decent.

Last edited:
Interesting data point I discovered 3 days ago...

I was becoming SUPER FRUSTRATED with my DD pro. The FFB sucked, and the wheel would go numb somewhat frequently. I scoured all the forums and tried every base/IG setting combination I came across. As a last ditch effort, I tried NOT TURNING ON MY DS5 in addition to my wheel. I usually would turn on my DS5 so it was easier to scroll through the menus and such.

THE FFB DETAIL AND STRENGTH INSTANTLY GOT BETTER.

Now... I realize people might have been doing this all along and the FFB still kinda sucks (which compared to ACC and even GTS, GT7 FFB still does). But for me this was a game changer. Maybe its a coding glitch with Fanatec wheels when both controllers are turned on? Something with the game sending FFB info to both devices and things are getting screwed up? 😕

At any rate, this was a huge help for me. FWIW, A couple of us in our COTW club tried this out (mind you, we're all on different brands of wheels), and I was the only one that noted a significant difference. Maybe its a Fanatec only thing? I'll be curious to see if anyone can duplicate my results

Last edited:

I was becoming SUPER FRUSTRATED with my DD pro. The FFB sucked, and the wheel would go numb somewhat frequently. I scoured all the forums and tried every base/IG setting combination I came across. As a last ditch effort, I tried NOT TURNING ON MY DS5 in addition to my wheel. I usually would turn on my DS5 so it was easier to scroll through the menus and such.

Now... I realize people might have been doing this all along and the FFB still kinda sucks (which compared to ACC and even GTS, GT7 FFB still does). But for me this was a game changer. Maybe its a coding glitch with Fanatec wheels when both controllers are turned on? Something with the game sending FFB info to both devices and things are getting screwed up? 😕

At any rate, this was a huge help for me. FWIW, A couple of us in our COTW club tried this out (mind you, we're all on different brands of wheels), and I was the only one that noted a significant difference. Maybe its a Fanatec only thing? I'll be curious to see if anyone can duplicate my results
I’ll give it a try and let you know.

Something to think about before you spend more money for a DD wheel.

The gilmer style belt use in Thrustmaster master wheels is the same belt use to drive camshaft in motors to replace steel chains that would wear out and stretch. The gilmer timing belts would last for over 70,000 miles before a recommended replacement. I think the DD wheels are good but I don’t remember anyone complaining of belt stretching or broken belts with thrushmaster or wheel using that system.

The gilmer style belt use in Thrustmaster master wheels is the same belt use to drive camshaft in motors to replace steel chains that would wear out and stretch. The gilmer timing belts would last for over 70,000 miles before a recommended replacement. I think the DD wheels are good but I don’t remember anyone complaining of belt stretching or broken belts with thrushmaster or wheel using that system.
True I own my T300 for 7 years now and it works perfect and I use it a lot ! I have to admit, I don't like a heavy wheel, so the fbb strength is never at max (30 or 50% depending the game), I think this help to keep the wheel in good shape

I've try with my wheel, I didn't feel any difference, but I do think that the FFB is bugged since the last update and this affect all the wheels

One thing I do first with FFB wheels which is probably different to most is:
turn all the forces/effects to MINIMUM first and then turn up the different features until they 'feel right' for me.

One of the GT series (I think 5) had severely glitched FFB in that even on minimum the wheel was almost impossible to turn. Since then on all games I turn everything down first, this also protects the wheel from a bad setup....

But, we all unique and what works for one may not for others. YMMV😎

One thing I do first with FFB wheels which is probably different to most is:
turn all the forces/effects to MINIMUM first and then turn up the different features until they 'feel right' for me.

One of the GT series (I think 5) had severely glitched FFB in that even on minimum the wheel was almost impossible to turn. Since then on all games I turn everything down first, this also protects the wheel from a bad setup....

But, we all unique and what works for one may not for others. YMMV😎
For some, the heaviest tool they hold in their hands is a ballpoint pen, others swing a sledgehammer all day or work in a shipyard, for example, and have to move real weights... That means the usual forces that are too heavy for some, can be far too easy for the other.

But I think we all agree that GT7 lacks some feedback that is available in EVERY other reasonably useful racing game or even simulation. Even a T150 can e.g. Build up enormous forces in RRE (ok, these don't last long and get clipped) but in GT7 you would often feel little or nothing at all.

But IF there are effects, they feel pretty good and "right".

I did not notice any difference with the DS5 being on as well as my GT DD Pro, even tuning the DS5 off and using my DD Pro made no difference to the FFB.

For some, the heaviest tool they hold in their hands is a ballpoint pen, others swing a sledgehammer all day or work in a shipyard, for example, and have to move real weights... That means the usual forces that are too heavy for some, can be far too easy for the other.
Exactly,
though you forgot to add 4ton truck.... 😜 which also had no synchromesh on 1st or 2nd and no centre diff so on road driving was 'entertaining'...:eek:

DD wheels are better not because they can rip your thumbs off or break wrists but because that torque allows very finely controlled minute forces. Just a pity that very few games properly support DD-FFB.

That a DD Wheel feels more direct has nothing to do with stretching or slipping of the belt.

The difference is that Belt-driven whells use the belt as transmission between the wheel and the motor so they can use motors with considerable less torque but must counter with speed. This adds some delays to the reactions of the wheel while the direct drive motor "directly" creates torque on the wheel shaft.
Also the belt and the gear-ration between wheel and motor create friction and resistance, that you do not have with DD-wheels.

That a DD Wheel feels more direct has nothing to do with stretching or slipping of the belt.

The difference is that Belt-driven whells use the belt as transmission between the wheel and the motor so they can use motors with considerable less torque but must counter with speed. This adds some delays to the reactions of the wheel while the direct drive motor "directly" creates torque on the wheel shaft.
Also the belt and the gear-ration between wheel and motor create friction and resistance, that you do not have with DD-wheels.
I agree but the price difference is huge between a TGT and a DD and the difference is not that important, if GT is the only game you play, a DD isn't the right option (unless money is not a problem), it's better yes, but it's not worth the price

I've try with my wheel, I didn't feel any difference, but I do think that the FFB is bugged since the last update and this affect all the wheels

CBH
I did not notice any difference with the DS5 being on as well as my GT DD Pro, even tuning the DS5 off and using my DD Pro made no difference to the FFB.
So weird it made such a huge difference with me

Fir testing purposes, did you completely reboot the game with just the wheel turned on?

So weird it made such a huge difference with me

Fir testing purposes, did you completely reboot the game with just the wheel turned on?
Yes but still no change, what I can't understand why users getting the DD Pro getting different FFB feel.

CBH
Yes but still no change, what I can't understand why users getting the DD Pro getting different FFB feel.

Maybe it’s a firmware thing?

When did you get your wheel? I got mine a couple days before GT7 came out. Haven’t checked to see if there’s new firmware out

My opinion: Get a used T-GT II.

GT7 FFB is so weak compared to other games (sims), so GT DD Pro is a waste of money.

Transducer is a benefit, OpenWheel addon is cheap but very good, also BT LED Display is awesome and works fine with GT7.

I combined this with T-LCM pedals which are decent.
yes that would be a good option. Just checked wallapop in my area and there are 2 on sale for 750 and 900 euros :lol: Will check periodacilly to see if there appears a better offer!

Maybe it’s a firmware thing?

When did you get your wheel? I got mine a couple days before GT7 came out. Haven’t checked to see if there’s new firmware out
There is a new firmware for the DD Pro.

I also checked the wheel with and without the controller and found no difference. I suspect that may be something the new firmware covers.

Back