GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,732 comments
Just be warned, in a 4 lap race the penalties are brutal ....
Holy Smokes! You're not kidding. My second race at GV today on Lap 2 as I get to the first braking zone, the GTR I'm driving and had turned about 40 laps in with no incidents, decides to lock up and hang a hard 90 into the left wall before the turn onto the bridge. I hit the wall head on and it gave me SIX SECOND penalty! That's the largest single penalty I can ever remember getting. It was a single car accident, wasn't close to anyone. There's no coming back from that.

First race there I started 11th and finished 4th, mainly due to guys just taking themselves out, I think I passed 2 guys lol. I had a couple of 0.5 penalties that race due to track limits that I'm still not sure where I left the track. But anyway nothing big.

Race 2 I start 7th and finished 12th mainly due to that incident, I lost about 4 spots at the time and then fell to the back when I cashed in that 6 second abomination of a penalty. That's crazy to me.

Last edited:
Wow, I missed a lot of posts the past couple days. I had to go to a community meeting this morning at my apartment complex so I was busy getting ready. I only had time to do 2 races at Grand Valley.

So has anyone been keeping track of what the weather does during the 20-lap race at Spa. I will try my hand at maybe a few races there. Maybe it will boost my DR up by beating a bunch of people and due to the length, maybe the points will double. But I don't know for certain if it will or not.

If I can get a decent QT time, maybe the race won't be so long and my position will go up the board.
It’s random. I’ve done three races, only one was wet.

Am I justified in being annoyed at this move?

Context: I’ve been quite good at Daily Race B this week so decided to do a few late night races to improve my DR abit and to maintain my SR.

Started race in P4, which was surprising because my qualifying time is quite good but there was a few high A drivers ahead of me, whereas I’m low to mid A so I was looking forward to testing myself. Managed a clean race bar a penalty on the last lap when I was in the lead by .800, served my penalty and brought myself close to the inside line leading into the tunnel as it’s a good defensive line I have been very consistent at taking.. here’s the video of the incident:

I am the Ferrari by the way - Both POVs

Daily Race B Incident

I’ll explain why I’m annoyed at it and maybe I’m wrong and perhaps it’s a skill issue so I’m open minded to others opinions

I made my defensive move early, leaving plenty of room around the outside for the driver to go two wide if he wanted. He closed up behind in the slipstream to maximise speed but then attempted to squeeze in between me and the barrier. Technically a gap did exist there but I literally shouldn’t have to defend right to the wall in order to prevent someone coming up my inside should I? Especially when there’s so much room on the left.

I personally felt it was lazy driving, as I did enough to earn my lead in this race cleanly and we had amassed such a buffer to third place that it seemed like he was content for us both to crash, because he would end up on the right side of it and we could still recover for 1st / 2nd. If it wasn’t for me giving him space I think there is 100% chance we crash because we did both outbreak ourselves albiet I had to make a move under braking to try give him room

Secondly, he parked it on the apex of the first chicane and I gave him a slight bump which allowed him to get away

Lastly, his weaving towards the finish line really annoyed me because I felt it was dirty driving and it was almost like he was gloating.

What are your thoughts? Skill issue on my part or is it lazy / dirty / reckless driving by the other guy? I’m genuinely happy to be told I’m wrong too even if my post doesn’t suggest that. Should I have closed the gap even more? Thanks!

Edit: for anyone that doesn’t want to click the link (not sure how to post or if videos are allowed in this thread) here are two photos that basically sum it up

Attachments

• 413C0075-E6AE-41B7-AACF-C77B17843293.jpeg
    413C0075-E6AE-41B7-AACF-C77B17843293.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 7AADB027-BB16-4E40-A500-1E102DA187E8.jpeg
    7AADB027-BB16-4E40-A500-1E102DA187E8.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Gv’s a great flinging it around course. Never understood why people don’t like it.

Besides, something about the elevation and corner placement makes it really obvious in vr when people are about to use me as a billiard ball. Probably wouldn’t be able to pick it up without the side mirrors..but when i do its just a little lift on the gas and watch them careen in front of me towards the bluff. Very satisfaction! Makes me wish we had hand tracking as a little beep, beep, and a wave would be icing on the cake.
Re dodging divebombs, a little lift will ghost you, I'm assuming? I am VERY tired of T1 divebombs at most tracks. Can others chime in with recommendations like this?

Context: I’ve been quite good at Daily Race B this week so decided to do a few late night races to improve my DR abit and to maintain my SR.

Started race in P4, which was surprising because my qualifying time is quite good but there was a few high A drivers ahead of me, whereas I’m low to mid A so I was looking forward to testing myself. Managed a clean race bar a penalty on the last lap when I was in the lead by .800, served my penalty and brought myself close to the inside line leading into the tunnel as it’s a good defensive line I have been very consistent at taking.. here’s the video of the incident:

Daily Race B Incident

I’ll explain why I’m annoyed at it and maybe I’m wrong and perhaps it’s a skill issue so I’m open minded to others opinions

I made my defensive move early, leaving plenty of room around the outside for the driver to go two wide if he wanted. He closed up behind in the slipstream to maximise speed but then attempted to squeeze in between me and the barrier. Technically a gap did exist there but I literally shouldn’t have to defend right to the wall in order to prevent someone coming up my inside should I? Especially when there’s so much room on the left.

I personally felt it was lazy driving, as I did enough to earn my lead in this race cleanly and we had amassed such a buffer to third place that it seemed like he was content for us both to crash, because he would end up on the right side of it and we could still recover for 1st / 2nd. If it wasn’t for me giving him space I think there is 100% chance we crash because we did both outbreak ourselves albiet I had to make a move under braking to try give him room

Secondly, he parked it on the apex of the first chicane and I gave him a slight bump which allowed him to get away

Lastly, his weaving towards the finish line really annoyed me because I felt it was dirty driving and it was almost like he was gloating.

What are your thoughts? Skill issue on my part or is it lazy / dirty / reckless driving by the other guy? I’m genuinely happy to be told I’m wrong too even if my post doesn’t suggest that. Should I have closed the gap even more? Thanks!

Edit: for anyone that doesn’t want to click the link (not sure how to post or if videos are allowed in this thread) here are two photos that basically sum it up
If gap possible = full send and bin it.

Honestly, that's what the driver was thinking. Not thinking far enough ahead or having the knows to pin you hard in there and trap you on a super tight slow line. Just racing unfortunately, some will try it, some won't. I wouldn't, but I'm also the psycho who's gone around the outside at Blanchimont multiple times, the outside of the final corner at Big Willow and Goodwood and done the chicane at Goodwood 2 wide a few times. As long as it's no contact it's worth a shot. In future just leave no doubt about the possibility of a gap.

Finally got a few B races tonight. Two on each account.
First on main had excellent racing clean and tight. Q6 and Q4 yet only managed p7 on both attempts but zero penalty and clean race both times :-)

Switched over to UK and the storm rolled. Did 5 laps of qualifying and raced. My first race end on lap 3 with a pit maneuver but tbh it didn’t look all that intentional yet killed my car and got a penalty to finish p12.

Improved qt slightly waiting for the next race and started q4 someone dive bombed the group at the hairpin exploding cars everywhere.
I came out of the mess in p3 and then had nice clean racing with a couple of guys while they took two places from me over the remaining laps and finished p5.

Fun times.

Here’s my only penalty in 4 races! I’m stoked with that stat for the evening.

IMG_6801.jpeg

First on main had excellent racing clean and tight. Q6 and Q4 yet only managed p7 on both attempts but zero penalty and clean race both times :-)

Switched over to UK and the storm rolled. Did 5 laps of qualifying and raced. My first race end on lap 3 with a pit maneuver but tbh it didn’t look all that intentional yet killed my car and got a penalty to finish p12.

Improved qt slightly waiting for the next race and started q4 someone dive bombed the group at the hairpin exploding cars everywhere.
I came out of the mess in p3 and then had nice clean racing with a couple of guys while they took two places from me over the remaining laps and finished p5.

Fun times.

View attachment 1340653

What kind of qualifying times are we talking? 4th /6th is a great start. Curious what time to shoot for 🍻

After about a month away I got three races in today at GV. I like GV. I want to try Spa but I can't get my head around a hour of racing in the evening. Perhaps I'll try it on Friday when I have the day off..

Well 💩, GV is waaaaay more entertaining than I gave it credit for...
What's not to like about this! Very entertaining and made me laugh. Mind you, I got clobbered with a 4s penalty. My lord, I had nowhere to go...! LOL.

Just be warned, in a 4 lap race the penalties are brutal
Same race as above, at the very end, I clipped the bridge. PD thinks I must have been cheating so that was 2s for me (1.5 + 0.5 for last lap). The hilarious thing is that the car in front also got a penalty and I've no idea why.

Also last race of the night for me. :lol:
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 12.01.38 AM.png

Even with the penalties for the three races I did it was highly entertaining and I improved through the night, 12th, first race, then 8th and finished with a 5th. That one should have been a 4th but I got two 1/2s penalties on last lap... Ugh. Also bumped into @CmdrParabolus on that last race.

What car does everyone like to fling around GVH? I've tried the GTR which seems the best compromise so far, 458 and Veyron are quick but like the sand.
@Rossell2 I've been throwing the Veyron (BB = -1) around there and landed at a 1:55.7xx
I settled on BB at -1 for the Veyron as well. Got my time down to 1:55.505. It works really well with my new wheel. I have rev lights on it and the first blue (out of three) is the perfect shift point for the Veyron.
The trick to win is to get good QT, right? GV: I was at 1:55.23 yesterday, started high up on the grid, 4-7, today I improved to 1:54.99, around 450 position, and guess what - now I start 12-14. My DR is exactly as yesterday. What is the deal here?
Everybody just gets faster through the week as they learn the track and the cars. Usually by Wednesday, most people have reached their QT time.

If gap possible = full send and bin it.

Honestly, that's what the driver was thinking. Not thinking far enough ahead or having the knows to pin you hard in there and trap you on a super tight slow line. Just racing unfortunately, some will try it, some won't. I wouldn't, but I'm also the psycho who's gone around the outside at Blanchimont multiple times, the outside of the final corner at Big Willow and Goodwood and done the chicane at Goodwood 2 wide a few times. As long as it's no contact it's worth a shot. In future just leave no doubt about the possibility of a gap.
Thanks for your thoughts! I understand why some drivers are hesitant to go around the outside because most of the time you will be squeezed out on the exit or at risk of being punted but I will also tend to go for round the outside moves because for me I would rather wreck myself being risky, than launch a divebomb and wreck another driver too. Plus an around the outside overtake is the most satisfying feeling

Re: Gap, the gap didn’t technically exist, he would have been rubbing between the barrier and myself had I not given up and moved wider. Maybe that’s why I don’t think it’s a good move because I was given two choices 1. Give him room that didn’t exist before or 2. Be stubborn and continue to squeeze him so both of us crash

Either way, as soon as he got his nose in I knew he won, because at that point I was presented two losing conditions, I lose or we crash and I still lose.. hence why I don’t think it’s particularly good racing and more so a lazy move.

I know it’s only one incident but it just seems to be prevalent tactic in GT that really bothers me… take the inside line by force in every corner ultimately forcing the driver ahead to give you room or risk having his race ruined…

Fun times.

View attachment 1340653

That’s such an unfortunate crash but pretty funny to see how much impact he got off that wall 😂

Last edited:
So has anyone been keeping track of what the weather does during the 20-lap race at Spa. I will try my hand at maybe a few races there. Maybe it will boost my DR up by beating a bunch of people and due to the length, maybe the points will double. But I don't know for certain if it will or not.
I've done two races - first was heavy rain from lap 3 until lap 18, second was dry for the whole race.

I got rammed out early in both, and trawled around a lonely 25 seconds behind the rest of the field for the whole race - the high number of quitters meant I still made up some places on my starting position. 20 lap race, and you've still got people trying to win the race on the first lap!

Used the 911, and 911s finished in top 3 positions in both races. The winner of the second dry race ran a fastest lap 3 seconds faster than mine, and finished 25 seconds ahead of P2....

Welp, I’m gonna have to learn one of the META’s. My Ferrari keeps getting swallowed up in a straight line at Spa. Such a fun race tho. Just had my first fully dry race. It seems my luck the past 2 days has been rain starting at lap 5-7

Tried them, can’t find the speed in the dry. Same with the Honda, Peugeot, AMG.
Might be worth just trying different stuff to see what you like the feel of, since it sounds like people are expecting a final BoP tweak with the update (mostly to nerf the McLaren I think, but there might be other changes that mess with stuff) so what you find today might be completely different tomorrow.

Daily Race B Incident

Honestly I thought this was a fair move, its full send mode, no doubt. But its for the lead of the race on the final lap/corner and he had quite a significant overspeed and was alongside before the braking without pushing you out of the way, you did the right thing swinging back out to the normal line but should have used it to cutback on the exit.

If someone wanted to go that narrow into a corner against me, I'd let them, drive over to the left brake a tad early and get the cutback. Only reason most drivers dont go that aggressively to the inside is you'll be on such a tight line going deep into the corner that'll you'll get 'the ol' switcheroo' pulled on you but there are ways to counter that too.

Might be worth just trying different stuff to see what you like the feel of, since it sounds like people are expecting a final BoP tweak with the update (mostly to nerf the McLaren I think, but there might be other changes that mess with stuff) so what you find today might be completely different tomorrow.
I may stick with the Subaru. One unexpectedly good thing about it - I was getting a consistently better run through Radillon/Eau Rouge and up the Kemmel than pretty much every other car. Some very fun overtakes there, like Vettel/Hamilton and Hakkinen/Schumacher. I should've saved the replays, even did a triple pass on one lap.

It's hard to tell which car gives you the best results during a race or QT session. All we can do is test every one and see which one fills in all the checkboxes. And it's really no point in tuning it because mostly the performance in a race is dependent on the driver's skills and what they have learned on the track.

I think my choices for the Group 3 cars at the Spa are gonna be the Porsche, Mclaren 650S, BRZ, and maybe the BMW ones. I'll keep in touch and let you know how my races went later in the week.

I took a couple more runs at Spa yesterday evening. Both all low-A/S lobbies. Still driving the McLaren.

Race 1: Started in P13 with my 2:19.2 QT. Got a good start on this one -- even picked up a couple positions from a pair of drivers that took each other out a Speakers Corner -- but then came Stavelot, where I braked earlier than the driver behind expected and ended up getting punted into the car ahead, sending us both into the sand. Back to my usual spot at the very back of the field.

Rain started on lap 5. One of the squares on the track was the darker blue, so I decided to play it safe and go into the pits for IMs instead of trying to squeeze out another lap on slicks. That turned out to be a good move because on the next lap I got the undercut on a couple drivers who had stayed out.

Somehow, I managed to find some pace in the rain in this race. The moisture gauge stayed below the second tick for most of the race compared to my other races where it jumped above that mark. That probably accounts for most of it. But I'd also reduced the steering sensitivity in my controller settings, so that might have had something to do with it.

Whatever the reason, I was actually keeping pace with the other drivers around me for once. I was even catching other drivers and making overtakes, like this one at Les Combes:

race-c-spa-2024-03-26-overtake.jpg

I managed to work my way all the way up to P7 briefly, having some great close racing with the McLaren in the Union Jack livery for several laps.

Finished in P8, which felt like a success.
race-c-spa-2024-03-26-result.jpg

Race 2: Completely dry race, sadly. I'm still struggling with pace on the dry track. Started in P14, still with my 2:19.2 QT. Surprisingly, I survived Lap 1. This time, I didn't get taken out until Lap 2, when I was bumped from behind into the wall a La Source. Back to the back for me -- not that it was very far. I did manage to have some good battles for last place with another driver in a McLaren until I pitted on Lap 10. Then it was back to driving laps alone, a few seconds back from the nearest car ahead. When the other backfield driver pitted, they came out 8 seconds behind me, so I didn't even get to have any more battles with them. Finished the race in P11, thanks to drivers quitting.

Last edited:

Daily Race B Incident

Think you left a metre too much of the door open tbh... I personally wouldn't have gone for it but sometimes you have to be just as aggressive as the other driver! This is common down the Grand Valley straight, just have to pin it to the wall.

Daily Race B Incident

Gap left = opportunity for chasing driver. Unless you know their temperament or their driving habits it's leaving the door open.

In other news, I've made my GT-R race ready. Hoping to find some time tonight for a race or two. Not sure if my 1:58 Q time will be helpful or not...

18e7cf9b53933-8fe07284794F13FF66A.5813BD5398E5A252_message_438142365191949_1711493614031.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, those gaps are annoying. The best place to overtake drivers is on the straight ways. Not where the bridges and tunnels are, it could cause an accident.

Standard of driving on race b this week is a joke. People being very petty.

Also the track limits seem very strict compared to the trial here in the hot rod and the manufacturers cup race?

Re dodging divebombs, a little lift will ghost you, I'm assuming? I am VERY tired of T1 divebombs at most tracks. Can others chime in with recommendations like this?
No re ghosting. Usually my peripheral vision picks up some hinkyness and ill edge slightly toward the center and lift. Usually the offending driver is aiming roughly at the b column so a subtle slowing and then braking for the corner usually has them flying by. Ill begin the turn usually as they are directly in front but never hit them due to the variance in speed. If their intent was to hit me and then pong through the corner, they have waaay too much speed and have no recourse.

Beep! Beep!
Bye!

Latest Posts

Back