GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 33,054 comments
Unfortunately I see that too much and that behavior has pretty much driven me from racing anymore. I love Watkins Glen though, so maybe I’ll give this week a shot, but I don’t expect things will be any better.
It looks practiced as well, I have to say I would make a mess of trying to do that to someone and ruin my own race.

It's an old complaint now but SR S should be far, far harder to achieve.

Barca will be a nightmare - tried my five favorite cars, but cannot manage better than 1:43:9, and that is not even going to be 5000 later today.

As you can see below, perhaps first step is for me to figure out the layout of the track. A few more practice laps wouldn't hurt.

Skärmavbild 2024-04-01 kl. 14.33.37.png

I guess I'll wrap it up tonight and do a few more races at GV and that's gonna be it for now, until next week. I'll get my DR and SR up somehow, I gotta have the strength and courage!!
You'll make it, just keep it up.

Going to miss the many laps of Spa. Great moments, silly mistakes. So many different emotions during the week and really, what more can you ask for.
This is sooooo much me as well. It was like a GTWS race every hour on the hour. While I certainly didn't go for either Meta (I did try to Q with the McLaren at first but the Merc suited me best) it was great matching wits, moves and the like with other drivers and the weather. The only downside was my PSVR2 which kept quitting on me mid-race one particular evening.

I miss that race already.
The only downside was never getting a chance to race gv. I do really like that config with gr4 but spa was so outside anything we’ve seen since I started playing and it was fantastic in VR.

More please and thanks!
Also, also this. Grand Valley Highway is my favorite track in Gran Turismo history - I've been playing since Gran Turismo - and I would have loved to have driven this combo several times over.

But there was no way I was going to give up on Spa.

I know you can't do this every week; if you did we may not appreciate things like the past seven days of epic racecraft.

Thank you, PD. From the bottom of my powerband.

Getting closer to a rare win. 11th to 2nd at WG in the Huracan. That was with just a single qualifying lap, I can likely get near the front if I match the Veyron time from my main account. My coward strategy is to pit lap 1 and get some clear air.

Good mix of cars this morning. Fastest lap in my last race was by a Scirocco. McLarens, Ferraris, Citroens, Hondas, Bugattis all in the mix. The BoP is in a good place at the moment.

Watkins Glen this morning, I got punted in the first corner so I got to watch the carnage from the rear, it’s amazing the malicious driving that happens from the middle to the back of the pack. The first corner was amazing, cars come down the front straight like there’s no right turn and off they go.
Spa was great, between a long 20 lap race and the rain, most of the morons didn’t last.
The take-away for me is, get faster and qualify better.

Last edited:
Watkins Glen this morning, I got punted in the first corner so I got to watch the carnage from the rear, it’s amazing the malicious driving that happens from the middle to the back of the pack. The first corner was amazing, cars come down the front straight like there’s no right turn and off they go.
Spa was great, between a long 20 lap race and the rain, most of the morons didn’t last.
The take-away for me is, get faster and qualify better.
What DR level are you racing at?

Last week I was amazed at GV. The quality of driving for the most part was top notch with not a single race of shenanigans at turn 1. Seems like mid pack A actually knew what they were doing.... Now the hairpin had a couple of incidents but still nothing like the days of being in DR B or shudder DR C.

What DR level are you racing at?

Last week I was amazed at GV. The quality of driving for the most part was top notch with not a single race of shenanigans at turn 1. Seems like mid pack A actually knew what they were doing.... Now the hairpin had a couple of incidents but still nothing like the days of being in DR B or shudder DR C.
Well, your first question pretty much summarizes my problem… DR C 😬 so the learning curve is steep. My DR and SR seem to go in opposite directions, if I’m clean, my DR goes down.

Not sure which race I’ll focus on this week. I prefer the longer format, but a race with an unnecessary pit stop, no tyre options and no weather, feels like a poor replacement for lasts week’s epic races at Spa.
PD really missed an open goal by not choosing Gr.2, to give the GT One a proper run out.

Focusing on Race B this week as I have yet to get a win or enough online experience on that variant of Catalunya. Did a total of 4 sessions today with one of them ending in a disconnect during lap 4.

First session - Only managed to start P2 and finished in P3 despite getting into accidental moves plus the GTR player accidentally hitting me on the back but he did give me back the position after the accidental contact. Suffice to say not bad of a first race for the week.

Gran Turismo® 7_20240401170202.jpg

Second session - Probably my worst performance since my return to doing Daily Race B. Started P4 and unfortunately a series of accidental contacts and losing control of my Merc on the last corner costed me a chance at podium.

Gran Turismo® 7_20240401172258.jpg

Third session - As mentioned I got disco'd so I can't say much but I was in the battle for a podium at one point.

Last session - I managed to improve my qualifying time to a 1:42.1 which was enough for me to start on pole for the first time. Race begins and I kept my cool all the way and the Ferrari driver almost got me had there been one more lap but still a win is a win and I'm glad I finally got one on this variant of Catalunya.

1711983745527.png

Edit: I'll admit this Mercedes has really got me back into doing Gr.3 dailies lately because of its BoP being good enough for me to main it and put up a fight in these Gr.3 dailies.

Last edited:
This week at Catalunya…the McLaren on RH is awkward to drive compare to Spa! It just doesn’t want to turn-in and I need to be extremely patient on the throttle to not end up in the gravel. Managed 1:41.867 for QT but I can never micromanage my steering and throttle input to that level in Race.

IMG-9447.jpg

Tried one race before getting that QT lap and the understeer is unreal 😂 Finished P5 in a mixed A/A+ lobby so there are definitely some race pace to be found.

P.S. kinda miss Spa now even though I suck in wet (Found ~2s per lap after @GOTMAXPOWER’s input, still 3s off though), hopefully the participation data/numbers from last week means we will get a similar daily race (Dynamics weather, >30 mins) again soon.

Last edited:
It looks practiced as well, I have to say I would make a mess of trying to do that to someone and ruin my own race.

It's an old complaint now but SR S should be far, far harder to achieve.
Making S harder to achieve doesn't fix anything though. That move didn't cost them anything. There was no penalty, there was no hit to rating.

Making ranking easier to lose also doesn't help because making the system too sensitive means that door to door racing, that often has incidental contact, costs rating thereby making the most common way of passing the divebomb to force your opponent wide/back off so that nobody loses ratings, and we all would hate that as much as the current racing.

I don't think there is a fix for the problems online racing has, not without moving to full penalty points, servers only for the "bad drivers", ability to report drivers, and all of that can be just as weaponized.

Basically daily racing is always going to be a crap-shoot and sometimes you have great experiences, most of the time you don't. If you want consistently good experiences League racing is the only way to go.

Done a couple of the WG races and controversially I'm going to say I really love this sort of combo, the optional tire change strat and length.

That said if they took 2 laps off of it then it's the perfect Daily B sprint race and format. Not sure it feels like a daily C but it's fun.

If you want me this week Glen will be at the Glen or channeling my inner clubsport racer in A 😎

Last edited:
Well, your first question pretty much summarizes my problem… DR C 😬 so the learning curve is steep. My DR and SR seem to go in opposite directions, if I’m clean, my DR goes down.
DR C is a challenge as there is a lot of inexperience and drivers coming to it like they're racing the terrible AI.
that will change. Work on racecraft, anticipate the clowns and clean=DR+ :)
This. A big part to progressing out of C and into B is learning how to anticipate other drivers. Positioning yourself to avoid variable braking zones as there is not the discipline where everyone brakes in the same few meters. This help you avoid punting someone (because they broke early - or you late) and vis-versa.

Another thing that helped me progress was not trying to drive to win every race. That leads to rash decisions and often conflict or off-track picnicking. Many times biding your time and accepting 6th, 7th or 8th will progress you faster than pushing a position for 3rd to 4th, then crashing and coming in last. As long as you are coming in 8th or better you are usually gaining points and will naturally progress to higher quality drivers.

Last edited:
Everything @TheNormsk said is true.

If you get in to racing and really in to racing then there is more racing that goes on beyond the podiums.

A lot of people don't realise that racing humans is not like racing AI and when they step up consistency at pace is the main thing, minimising contact, being ok trading places is what it's about. It's about enjoying races and forgetting about DR and SR at that point because when you care enough about the racing and the driving at these levels rather than the metrics

Agree with both @newmedia_dev and @TheNormsk in that you GOTTA love the drive, not the outcome. You will progress through ranks faster with P5 - P8 finishes -vs- trying to win every race and ending-up PDFL (most of the time).

Also, if you know you're weak at a track, race your friends list instead. TBH, little has improved my driving more than chasing the clowns in this forum (you know I love y'all, right?).😁 All joking aside, there's some very fast people on this thread, great to leverage as motivation and get your chase on. Been working great for me.👍

For some reason I thought about this while walking the dog this wonderfully bleak morn': You will NOT progress in rank based on miles driven alone. For all the frustration that the ranking system brings, this might be the biggest agitator for those who expect/anticipate a 'play=progress' model. Frustrating as it may be, it is very good at keeping similar skill sets elbow-to-elbow.

:cheers:

Last edited:
little has improved my driving more than chasing the clowns in this forum (you know I love y'all, right?).😁
Doing this and chasing the even faster clowns on the weekly TTs has been a huge learning experience for me. Really learning the track and understanding what makes you quick goes a long way towards driving faster.

But only to a point.

TT and daily races are quite difference. Knowing the TT allows you to not worry about what makes you fast but knowing how to drive a daily race, is back to the race craft perspective. That only comes from interacting with fellow humans and learning to anticipate other racer's intents and how to react to that for your advantage, or many cases, self preservation.

And I am the first person to say I'm not racing. Not because I can't be fast there, just I won't enjoy the way the racing happens in certain combos. That is OK. I don't need to win them all it's not Pokémon to me. So I time trial loads and I means loads, I grind times out way above my pay grade.

But and I stress this, it helps with pace, car control and being able to rock up and put a time in anywhere.

It takes effort, thinking and practice.

If you are comfortable controlling the car then SR will climb. So will DR

Anyone else struggling with the Gr3 cars at Barcelona? Did a few laps today in a mix of cars and I was struggling.

Porsche is normally very good there and I find it a good car to drive, but I found it had loads of understeer and on a few exits I had oversteer.
McLaren was ok but didn't have the pace
Audi felt ok but felt like I couldn't push too much
AMG was the only non MR car that felt ok and so far set my fastest time.

Can you guys help me out here? When I'm braking hard, like when I'm coming up to a hairpin, in the past I always started to downshift and the same time I stomped on the brake. But it has occurred to me lately that stomping on the brakes, then starting to downshift after a second seems to brake much quicker (shorter distance). Or maybe it depends on the car?

What's the physics (or whatever) with this?

Anyone else struggling with the Gr3 cars at Barcelona? Did a few laps today in a mix of cars and I was struggling.
Try the R.S.01. Also, don't be afraid to mess with assists and brake balance. (I'm not consistent enough to decide on BB yet, but I will be soon - I hope.)

Oh all mighty racing god, why do you punish me so hard?

Three B races today - first race I fell like a rock through the positions, and finished 30 seconds after P15. Lap times my grand mother would have laughed at. 50% red tires at the finish. I had no idea what happened, but later I realized I started on IM.:lol:

So theres another lesson for me.

Expensive though, Ive lost 7% today on my DR. Please let this week blow over fast. GV, come back, all is forgiven!

This week at Catalunya…the McLaren on RH is awkward to drive compare to Spa! It just doesn’t want to turn-in and I need to be extremely patient on the throttle to not end up in the gravel. Managed 1:41.867 for QT but I can never micromanage my steering and throttle input to that level in Race.
That time is outer space quality.

Amazing!

Last edited:
Can you guys help me out here? When I'm braking hard, like when I'm coming up to a hairpin, in the past I always started to downshift and the same time I stomped on the brake. But it has occurred to me lately that stomping on the brakes, then starting to downshift after a second seems to brake much quicker (shorter distance). Or maybe it depends on the car?

Try the R.S.01. Also, don't be afraid to mess with assists and brake balance. (I'm not consistent enough to decide on BB yet, but I will be soon - I hope.)
It's about timing, you can do 3 things. Downshift early to get that engine braking going, you can just brake and slot the appropriate gear for the speed. Or you can time those things to all line up.

I'll be honest my friend and just say work on your braking and then gear choice, if you get the braking right you can always take a higher gear for the exit
Oh all mighty racing god, why do you punish me so hard?

Three B races today - first race I fell like a rock through the positions, and finished 30 seconds after P15. Lap times my grand mother would have laughed at. 50% red tires at the finish. I had no idea what happened, but later I realized I started on IM.

So theres another lesson for me.

Expensive though, Ive lost 7% today on my DR. Please let this week blow over fast. GV, come back, all is forgiven!
So your issue here is doing daily B 🤣

I'm gonna take a swing at this, even though it's likely not 100%.

I noticed something similar. If I pace my downshifts -vs- blasting down through ALL the gears as soon as I hit the brakes, I stop WAY sooner. My assumption is, when you smack first while still doing 100+ headed for the hairpin, the tires lock-up thereby increasing brake distance, if not dramatically so.

That's my theory, poke holes where appropriate.😁

Last edited:
I'm gonna take a swing at this, even though it's likely not 100%.

I noticed something similar. If I pace my downshifts -vs- blasting down through ALL the gears as soon as I hit the brakes, I stop WAY sooner. My assumption is, when you smack first while still doing 100+ the tires lock-up thereby increasing brake distance, if not dramatically so.

That's my theory, poke holes where appropriate.😁
Ok, so PD has this physics right.

To a degree....there isn't a lot of cars you can put in over revving situations. Road and race cars....there are caveats to that but anything in the last 10 years typically won't let you do it, especially turbo stuff....

All that aside you are correct, the downshift locks the fronts, giving more braking but actually reducing rotation. The trick is to separate the actions if you want to use that method, you'll notice the aliens downshift, turn off the brakes (or just riding them) and then accelerate in a higher gear.

The knack/trick is to get the car unsettled while slowing to maximise the exit.

You can do this without the over aggressive downshifts and just braking smoothly: they are chasing 1/1000s we are just trying to keep up ;)

Ok, so PD has this physics right.

To a degree....there isn't a lot of cars you can put in over revving situations. Road and race cars....there are caveats to that but anything in the last 10 years typically won't let you do it, especially turbo stuff....

All that aside you are correct, the downshift locks the fronts, giving more braking but actually reducing rotation. The trick is to separate the actions if you want to use that method, you'll notice the aliens downshift, turn off the brakes (or just riding them) and then accelerate in a higher gear.

The knack/trick is to get the car unsettled while slowing to maximise the exit.

You can do this without the over aggressive downshifts and just braking smoothly: they are chasing 1/1000s we are just trying to keep up ;)
This is one of the MANY things I've learned here. Once I stopped just shooting for the gear I knew was up next for exit, I started to slowly come down through the gears (shifting properly, basically) to prevent lock-ups. Easily took more than half a second off my laps, regardless of track. Never understood why the game allowed this to happen since modern cars prevent this very scenario.🙃

As for chasing thousandths, I do it every week...it's just thousandths off YOUR (and the rest of you speed junkies) time I'm shootin' for. A year ago I wasn't even on my own friends list by Friday.

I'll say 'thank you' now as I work toward flipping the tables on who's chasin' who.😁

Last edited:
Back