GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,378 comments
Finally the lap clicks at race B. Down to an 18.4. I can get close to 18 dead I think. Had a majortity of top 3 finishes which I'm delighted with. All clean racing. Well apart from one absolute jackass who messes up the last turn on the last lap. I get a run heading to the line. He must have sneezed as he veered hard to the left to block me taking P2.

Dirty air physics playing a stronger role perhaps or still an issue when not in traffic?

You appear to bump the Porsche going into turn 9. They manage to keep the inside for turn 10 but for turn 9 you have two very different turn in strategies going on. The Porsche is going for the wide in, faster out which for that car works well except that left the inside open for you. I'm not sure the Lambo's turn in abiliy (I know it is pretty strong) so would you have made that turn if you had not used the 911 as a brake?

I'm no expert but considering you already bumped the 911, You may have had some red mist, and perhaps should not have made that move. You should also anticipate that the way the 911 swung out and turned in was going to intersect with your move and with you behind, I would have deferred (perhaps I'm not aggressive enough). The fault is not entirely yours though. The 911 driver, under pressure should have known you were there and having left the door open by swinging wide, should have anticipated (or seen on their radar) you come in and kept wide to avoid contact.

I call a racing incident. Not dirty, but not fair either.

Anyway, I'm just a hack but this is my lay person's view, yelling opinion from the peanut galley.
Thank you for your honest opinion. It is true that I bumped him before T9, but that was also because he went a bit wide and blocked me by doing that.

I think I could’ve made that turn, also if I did not hit the Porsche. I was thinking of a racing incident too, but still a bit in doubt…

I have never raced the 911 online but I think I'll give it a go after how you have described it. Good read.
I’m no expert and not as fast as many in my DR range but I’m good come race conditions in the Porsche. I think you’ll like it. It’s also easier on tires and fuel than most, which really comes in handy when strategies come into play. And as others noted, it’s really forgiving, esp at 9/10 pace, which makes it a good all-rounder.

My progress in my one Race C yesterday worked against me today in Race A - got stuck in rooms all afternoon with a load of A+ drivers (including @NAXEHT in a couple of races)! Must have just been enough to move me away from the bottom of B DR.

Got a bit rough at times.....

Last edited:
Thanks to whoever recommended the Vantage for B - it is a good choice, set my fastest laps. Race itself is horrendous, some of the worst and dirtiest driving I’ve encountered in a while (I’m not entirely excluded from that).

The SF19 is way too fast for me so I’m just doing the Italian baby Nascar races until next week.

Some great insights into Race C this week! Seems everyone has varying experiences when it comes to Turn 1 chaos avoidance & tyre strategy.

Personally, when it comes to tyres I've had good and bad times starting on either compound. I'm yet to decide if I prefer one over the other but I have decided that which lap I pit very much depends on traffic and choices of the other drivers. Obviously the softs can't last more than 6 laps (at a push), so starting on mediums gives more flexibility in that respect.

My personal method for a safe turn 1 is to short shift from the grid, so far I have a perfect success rate with that strategy. Gone are the days of full throttle rear Ender's at the beginning of the race!

One thing I'm intrigued about is people's thoughts on DRS/overtake usage.
Do any of you guys have any dos and don'ts?

I have been doing some A races in the Fiat and notice that wall riding is still a thing without a noticable penalty. It has been interesting with cars mainly ghosting when they spin which helps to keep the more "serious" drivers (are we really that in this race anyway?) on the track.

Guys, I need your honest opinion about this. Is this move, on the last turn on the last lap, a dirty move, or just hard but fair? At first, I thought I could make this move and when I finished the move and finished on P6, considering starting from P12, I was quite happy. I noticed that the guy I overtook has spun and crashed into the wall because of the move so I had to check the replay. From my point of view it looks quite fair. There was a gap and I went for it. But then I checked the replay of the move from the Porsche driver’s point of view and now I have my doubts if the move was hard but fair, or just dirty. So, what do you guys think?

I personally hate the move, others won't feel as strongly. You're a good ways back, by making that move you're essentially saying he should have taken a defensive line into that corner, IMHO you hadn't earned the right to expect that as it compromises his exit speed and renders him defenceless into the next series of corners.

I have not read other replies but I am sure most will say no, he should not have turned in but I always see these cases as I outlined above. There was never a gap there, by the time you arrive on the scene he was gonna be committed to his apex.

I don't think you were dirty but it was sloppy, real sloppy.

I personally hate the move, others won't feel as strongly. You're a good ways back, by making that move you're essentially saying he should have taken a defensive line into that corner, IMHO you hadn't earned the right to expect that as it compromises his exit speed and renders him defenceless into the next series of corners.

I have not read other replies but I am sure most will say no, he should not have turned in but I always see these cases as I outlined above. There was never a gap there, by the time you arrive on the scene he was gonna be committed to his apex.

Thank you for this. And I think I must agree with you. I made the decision to make the move in a split second, but shortly after I was wondering if the move was the right move.. Thank you once again, I try to learn as much as I can to become a better driver and situations like these and opinions of others do help me to become better.

Thank you for this. And I think I must agree with you. I made the decision to make the move in a split second, but shortly after I was wondering if the move was the right move.. Thank you once again, I try to learn as much as I can to become a better driver and situations like these and opinions of others do help me to become better.
I can tell you 100% the "worst" corner for this. Grab a car and go tot Dragon Trail Gardens. About mid lap, you will encounter an "S" sequence. So there's a loooooooooooooooooong back straight then a tight left almost hairpin. After that there's a flat left and this really awkward right that you must take it easy n because the critical corner is the next left. THAT LEFT, there's sand tot he right, i swear people will come from 4 car lengths back and dive into that gap, it's like bears to honey man, bears to honey.

I only use it on the two long straights, that lets you take advantage of the speed boost longer. Otherwise I just try to spread it out to last all race. I also decided not to use it if I am drafting someone with no intention of trying the pass. You can keep up with them in the draft even if they boost. So that lets me save even more up for actual overtakes or trying to get more gap the next car back when i'm running alone.

Studying replays from the Showcase helps. I put this one together (okay, I bit more work than perhaps I needed to do) to ween myself off driver aids and to try to learn how to drive the Lancer. I'm now very comfortable on this course but still can't drive the Lancer :D (though I have not tried since I fixed my brake pedal..)

Awesome vid. I was close on most those except that down hill hard right, you take that turn way faster than I ever had.

Guys, I need your honest opinion about this. Is this move, on the last turn on the last lap, a dirty move, or just hard but fair? At first, I thought I could make this move and when I finished the move and finished on P6, considering starting from P12, I was quite happy. I noticed that the guy I overtook has spun and crashed into the wall because of the move so I had to check the replay. From my point of view it looks quite fair. There was a gap and I went for it. But then I checked the replay of the move from the Porsche driver’s point of view and now I have my doubts if the move was hard but fair, or just dirty. So, what do you guys think?

Generally not much a fan of the last lap, last turn dives. Porsche driver probably wasn't expecting it as you were at least a car length back (ie, that inside line real-estate wasn't really yours for the taking), so he took the line like normal. TO make matters worse, he was pushed off the track, lost the car, and went from P7 to P11 (?) before making it to the S/F line.

I don't believe you had bad intentions, but sure looked painful from the other driver's perspective. I don't think you're a dirty driver, but he probably does. Regardless, live and learn.

your take on this is interesting to me because I had almost this exact scenario in the final chicane at GVH. Only I was the 911 (in an actual 911). I always took a wide entry to that first corner to line up for the exit corner. He/She dove in, but backed out before contact. But what really got me was he called ME dirty in the chat, said he "had space". My thinking is that he had time to react and back out which reinforces the idea that, No, he did not "have space".

Had there been contact, I would have just let it go, it's gonna happen occasionaly. In extreme cases it could even be due to lag and not intentional. But calling me dirty seemed over the top.

When online with others on the servers, there is a lower grip level. This has been the case since Gran Turismo went online with GT5 in open lobbies. This has been the same for every GT since. I know of no other sim that suffers from this.
Hope that helps.
I would personally call this a feature, not a bug. And not something that I think the game "suffer" from
If you want the offline time trial to be the same as online you can choose event settings and set the tyre wear and fuel consumption+ the off track grip level

To me it's much worse that when you run FP your grip isn't as it should be, you always have optimal tyre temp and you have an empty fuel tank as well.
When in race there's cold tyres, fuel weigh7and dirty air.
As there should be

your take on this is interesting to me because I had almost this exact scenario in the final chicane at GVH. Only I was the 911 (in an actual 911). I always took a wide entry to that first corner to line up for the exit corner. He/She dove in, but backed out before contact. But what really got me was he called ME dirty in the chat, said he "had space". My thinking is that he had time to react and back out which reinforces the idea that, No, he did not "have space".

Had there been contact, I would have just let it go, it's gonna happen occasionaly. In extreme cases it could even be due to lag and not intentional. But calling me dirty seemed over the top.
SOme people don't understand the concept of a late apex. Just because there's room there doesn't mean the driver behind was given the space. Some turns - many of which before a long straight like you're describing - it's the ideal line to go a bit wide, then dive the turn and hit that late apex for a better run onto the long straight.

I can't recall which track it is (one of the PD made up ones... maybe Koyoto) that has a lot of turns with late apexes. It can be a cluster when people think you're acccidently going wide and make a huge lunge simple because the space is there.

So, no pal, I was not leaving you space so you could divebomb for four car-lengths back... it's called a late apex and it's the quickest way around the corner and ensuing straight.

I would personally call this a feature, not a bug. And not something that I think the game "suffer" from
If you want the offline time trial to be the same as online you can choose event settings and set the tyre wear and fuel consumption+ the off track grip level

To me it's much worse that when you run FP your grip isn't as it should be, you always have optimal tyre temp and you have an empty fuel tank as well.
When in race there's cold tyres, fuel weigh7and dirty air.
As there should be
I don't disagree with any of this. It would be nice if PD could show these things. When doing quali laps before the race, the fuel tank shows full; and, there is no indication of tire temps in the HUD. Thus, I can see why @DC5Remy (nice username, btw... former 03 Type S owner) was asking. And, he's not the only one who's asked this before. If the fuel tank showed almost empty on the quali laps and the tires were orange or something to show the heat, it would be quite obvious to most when the race starts, the fuel gauge is full and the tires are blue something is quite different.

Would be a nice to have and would likely avoid some lap one issues, but anyway I digress... normal PD stuff I suppose.

Last edited:
Generally not much a fan of the last lap, last turn dives. Porsche driver probably wasn't expecting it as you were at least a car length back (ie, that inside line real-estate wasn't really yours for the taking), so he took the line like normal. TO make matters worse, he was pushed off the track, lost the car, and went from P7 to P11 (?) before making it to the S/F line.

I don't believe you had bad intentions, but sure looked painful from the other driver's perspective. I don't think you're a dirty driver, but he probably does. Regardless, live and learn.
I can tell you 100% the "worst" corner for this. Grab a car and go tot Dragon Trail Gardens. About mid lap, you will encounter an "S" sequence. So there's a loooooooooooooooooong back straight then a tight left almost hairpin. After that there's a flat left and this really awkward right that you must take it easy n because the critical corner is the next left. THAT LEFT, there's sand tot he right, i swear people will come from 4 car lengths back and dive into that gap, it's like bears to honey man, bears to honey.
Thanks guys, honestly. This kind of tips and tricks and positive criticism does help a lot for me to learn. Also the reason why I brought it up to the table. Nice discussion, so thanks once again. My intentions were not to be a dirty driver, but the move is not done correctly. We live and learn guys, live and learn.

Safe overtaking spots are really hard to come by in race B. Everything seems to be a dive or capitalising on a big mistake.
Absolutely true.
Not as good as the French Connection
"You still picking your feet in Poughkeepsie?"
Guys, I need your honest opinion about this.
I've done it myself - see first quote above. Don't know how I feel about it, but I don't blame the retaliation either.
Thanks to whoever recommended the Vantage for B - it is a good choice, set my fastest laps.
You're welcome. 😂

your take on this is interesting to me because I had almost this exact scenario in the final chicane at GVH. Only I was the 911 (in an actual 911).
The most heated, and I mean heated, exchanges in this thread have been over this issue. I maintain that unless you are RIGHT on my bumper, asking me to go defensive in case you bomb it in is not racing. Once i go defensive it's likely you pass me because of my compromised exit.

I maintain that unless you are RIGHT on my bumper, asking me to go defensive in case you bomb it in is not racing.
True. But in a track like Daily Race B this week, it's hard to find passing spots, so it's going to happen whether we like it or not. So I just consider it part of racing this course.
Once i go defensive it's likely you pass me because of my compromised exit.
The corners I feel like I need to go defensive on are T1 and T10 (not T11). To me, T1 is fine to hug the inside if someone looks like they're coming for me - if they end up going wide and passing me, well then more power to them. And T10, unless I'm doing QT, is fine to hug if I do it right. If there's gonna to be something happening on T11, then it's most likely because I mishandled T10, and although I wouldn't appreciate it, I'd still blame myself for putting myself in that position.

But take this with a huge grain of salt, because even though I play all the time, I'm really just a newbie when it comes to racing tactics.

that's kinda the realization I had yesterday joining some B lobbies. After being wrecked out of each one (granted I'm rusty but I'm not a mobile chicane lol) I sat in my chair wondering if I still even like this game. Came to the realization that no, not really. Not as it currently stands.

I'm probably going to take an extended break from dailies until something that really looks appealing comes along. Keep my skills non-rusty with some customs or le mans/spa grinding.
why not try what i do when Daily races are poop (most weeks tbh)
just set up your own room with Daily settings, or tweak them a bit (soft tyres, boost.. etc)
ive been doin it for weeks now & 90% of the time its good, hard, clean, respectful racing :) & if you get some ego-driven, red-mister join the room & just plough thru everyone in their way, they just cop the Boot, most people are happy with a restart to enjoy some more clean racing.. 👍
theres also no affect to your DR either if thats something you feel the need to 'protect'. if other people have fun they usually return a few times, have made a few good friends along the way.. 😉
you just need to find a way(s) to make it fun again :)
dont let your enjoyment of the game depend on the attitude & ego's of 15 random people in a Daily Race

🏁🏎️🏎️🏎️🏎️🏎️

Last edited:
Honest question here, gang. How can I learn to get better at racing in traffic?

I’m about to get dropped down to B/S because I’m getting murdered at the bottom of the A lobbies. I don’t want to kill my SR, so I try not to do stupid stuff like bin people, etc., to keep my space. But other drivers are not making this easy. I’m not very aggressive, and I’m not very good at driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic because I never get the chance to race with people who are responsible enough to do it properly. If I try it from the back it just gets incredibly messy and I’m likely to just muck it up.

I can’t just “get faster” or “git gud” because I’ve plateaued at my level for now, low A or maybe high B. But I’m the A lobbies it seems that the only way to win is to be awesome and to start up front.

I don’t make up many spots because of the aggressive moves, bumping, etc., that shuffles me to the back almost every time. I’m willing to accept that I’ll be a B driver, but I’m trying REALLY HARD to get better yet I can’t figure out what to do differently.

People say to brake sooner in slipstream and things like that, but in all honesty I can’t figure out where to brake until it’s too late, or else I brake way too early and get passed by the remaining few who are behind me. I want to be more competitive but I’m more worried about ruining everyone else’s races as I try to learn.

Any advice is welcome.

Honest question here, gang. How can I learn to get better at racing in traffic?

I’m about to get dropped down to B/S because I’m getting murdered at the bottom of the A lobbies. I don’t want to kill my SR, so I try not to do stupid stuff like bin people, etc., to keep my space. But other drivers are not making this easy. I’m not very aggressive, and I’m not very good at driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic because I never get the chance to race with people who are responsible enough to do it properly. If I try it from the back it just gets incredibly messy and I’m likely to just muck it up.

I can’t just “get faster” or “git gud” because I’ve plateaued at my level for now, low A or maybe high B. But I’m the A lobbies it seems that the only way to win is to be awesome and to start up front.

I don’t make up many spots because of the aggressive moves, bumping, etc., that shuffles me to the back almost every time. I’m willing to accept that I’ll be a B driver, but I’m trying REALLY HARD to get better yet I can’t figure out what to do differently.

People say to brake sooner in slipstream and things like that, but in all honesty I can’t figure out where to brake until it’s too late, or else I brake way too early and get passed by the remaining few who are behind me. I want to be more competitive but I’m more worried about ruining everyone else’s races as I try to learn.

Any advice is welcome.
theres not a lot of advice to be given here apart from..
more track time, practice & more track time..
learn from other drivers, its a bit of a trial n error process but you will improve in time, u just gotta stick at it :)
then practice a bit more.. ;)

@Bullwinkle

The best one tip I can give which has helped me stay hovering around 25% A rating is to be patient and play the long game (obviously this is easier on Race C). Pick your moments and be prepared that they may not come, and also be ready for the guy behind you not to play the same game. I like to think mostly those guys are the ones who end up in a wall sooner rather than later so it all balances out.

Of course, improving your quali renders this advice mostly redundant :P

My progress in my one Race C yesterday worked against me today in Race A - got stuck in rooms all afternoon with a load of A+ drivers (including @NAXEHT in a couple of races)! Must have just been enough to move me away from the bottom of B DR.

Got a bit rough at times.....
Nice to see you on track! It’s not everyday I stumble upon people from here.

Some great insights into Race C this week! Seems everyone has varying experiences when it comes to Turn 1 chaos avoidance & tyre strategy.

Personally, when it comes to tyres I've had good and bad times starting on either compound. I'm yet to decide if I prefer one over the other but I have decided that which lap I pit very much depends on traffic and choices of the other drivers. Obviously the softs can't last more than 6 laps (at a push), so starting on mediums gives more flexibility in that respect.

My personal method for a safe turn 1 is to short shift from the grid, so far I have a perfect success rate with that strategy. Gone are the days of full throttle rear Ender's at the beginning of the race!

I don't have many do's but I usually hit it a little after spoon to gain/maintain gaps. I like to have about 25% left for the last two laps. Just in case any opportunities bless me with their presence.

I got called out in chat for this, but I honestly am not sure how this is my fault. He choose not to come down in front of me when he had the chance allowing me to get my nose where he should have been. I gave him the room to make it and he choose not to lift and bounce off me.

I got called out in chat for this, but I honestly am not sure how this is my fault. He choose not to come down in front of me when he had the chance allowing me to get my nose where he should have been. I gave him the room to make it and he choose not to lift and bounce off me.

I do think the main side contact was your fault. Looking at it from my perspective, you were behind heading into T2 and I might have backed off and slotted in behind. The other car, I think, knew you were there and stayed wide so you both made it through that corner. At T3 they then had the inside line with nowhere to go and you came in on them. I think as you forced the issue of being side by side at T2 it would then be on you to maintain that at T3 but you collided. Whose actual moved caused that is hard to determine but I think you bare more than 50% probable cause for the initial set up.

Reasoning: What would have happened at T4 if you’d made it through that probably would have been a wreck into the wall anyway. That’s not the place for side by side; hence why I would have slipped in behind at T2.

Anyway, I’m not a race car driver, I only play one on TV, do consider that as you will. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
why not try what i do when Daily races are poop (most weeks tbh)
just set up your own room with Daily settings, or tweak them a bit (soft tyres, boost.. etc)
ive been doin it for weeks now & 90% of the time its good, hard, clean, respectful racing :) & if you get some ego-driven, red-mister join the room & just plough thru everyone in their way, they just cop the Boot, most people are happy with a restart to enjoy some more clean racing.. 👍
theres also no affect to your DR either if thats something you feel the need to 'protect'. if other people have fun they usually return a few times, have made a few good friends along the way.. 😉
you just need to find a way(s) to make it fun again :)
dont let your enjoyment of the game depend on the attitude & ego's of 15 random people in a Daily Race

🏁🏎️🏎️🏎️🏎️🏎️
That's actually a fantastic idea, thank you!

Latest Posts

Back