GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 34,714 comments
Logging in this morning to an SR B that I'm guessing came from Monday evening's loss of all cool and composure at Maggiore!

Yep I went ape after being slammed into one too many times and turned it into a roaming bomb much to my regret afterwards.

It's amazing how fast it drops though, I do think that's right in the end. Got what I deserved and it's not the way I want to race at all.

A lesson in avoiding evening races again, I'm not in the right headspace for it after a long shift, and it seems neither is anyone else by that time of day. I knew that!!
Preach on!

You know when you’re in line somewhere in public, say the airport waiting for customs, and people start cramming together and that person starts bumping into you from behind for no good reason? What’s the proper response? Turn to them and ask them to please take a step back. It doesn’t have to be rude, but it’s a natural reaction to people who are crowding.

We don’t get to do that in the race, and I think that’s what aggravates me and sets me off. I just want to tell the car that used me as their brake in T1 was f lap 1 to back off and wait their turn! The only way we have to communicate is to try to type a message during the race, which is irrelevant and only costs time, or to push back, which inevitably costs SR. Can’t even give the driver the finger out the window. So I think not having any recourse for idiots ruining races is what’s bugging me so much.

I just need to get back to driving and not worrying about DR. I ought to just let them by. But Maggiore is one of those tracks where once you let someone by, a whole train of cars go by, so I fight for every position too much. It’s a fun track, but invites the worst part of me to come out.

I just need to get back to driving and not worrying about DR. I ought to just let them by.
This is a great example of the disparity between words that can be typed and actions that can be taken.🤣

Seriously, I preach the same thing and struggle BIGLY with living by it. It's a race...I CEDE nothing. Have gotten WAY better about it, though, and it has helped a LOT. Nothing will ease the burn of getting beached, slammed, punted or just plain out-run, but not focusing on the hit your DR is taking does seem to shorten the discomfort time.

Quick question for the room...what is proper etiquette when running with a penalty? Do you slow down and not pass anyone or do you crank it to 11 and try to make up the time you're about to lose? Understanding it's never a black and white situation, more a generalization. I noticed a driver go side-by-side through the esses with @AdxRE (race posted above) while carrying a penalty. Personally, I would have stayed back, especially with the 'pen zone' a couple corners away. Just curious.👍

:cheers:

Quick question for the room...what is proper etiquette when running with a penalty? Do you slow down and not pass anyone or do you crank it to 11 and try to make up the time you're about to lose?
Don't know about etiquette with this one but when I have a penalty I don't really attack unless I'm way quicker (and that doesn't happen often 😂 ). I rather try to calm down and focus on the approch after the penalty is served

This is a great example of the disparity between words that can be typed and actions that can be taken.🤣

Seriously, I preach the same thing and struggle BIGLY with living by it. It's a race...I CEDE nothing. Have gotten WAY better about it, though, and it has helped a LOT. Nothing will ease the burn of getting beached, slammed, punted or just plain out-run, but not focusing on the hit your DR is taking does seem to shorten the discomfort time.

Quick question for the room...what is proper etiquette when running with a penalty? Do you slow down and not pass anyone or do you crank it to 11 and try to make up the time you're about to lose? Understanding it's never a black and white situation, more a generalization. I noticed a driver go side-by-side through the esses with @AdxRE (race posted above) while carrying a penalty. Personally, I would have stayed back, especially with the 'pen zone' a couple corners away. Just curious.👍

I ran two more races this morning with the express intent of letting everyone by and building my SR back up. But apparently that triggers some kind of feeding frenzy and people start tapping, budging and elbowing apparently for nothing other than the satisfaction of getting contact to pass. Maybe it’s the NASCAR crowd feeling rowdy after Daytona? I have no clue. But seriously, some dude was harassing me at every turn when I was in P5. He wouldn’t just go around me cleanly after two laps, so he just cut turn 1, took a stupid angle, and took out three cars including mine. He got P5 (whooptie doooo?!) but ruined three races in the process. I just don’t understand these people. I think they don’t actually understand racing so I need to lower my expectations, but I’m so jealous of all the clean racing I see the streamers get to enjoy! It irks me.

As for the penalties, I think it’s going to be contextual. I try to build up space before a penalty line, but I don’t fight for positions. But the lobbies I’m in lately, I see guys swerving to screw up everyone else’s lap so when they serve they don’t lose as many positions. This is, I think, default set for a lot of lobbies.

Honestly think this all amounts to lack of contextual thinking and nuanced judgment. They raced through the 1 player events by knocking everyone off the track, so they’ve been trained by the game to do that in competition. Don’t even get me started on that “sportsmanship” video they made us play while we went to get a drink or whatever. 🙄

Preach on!

You know when you’re in line somewhere in public, say the airport waiting for customs, and people start cramming together and that person starts bumping into you from behind for no good reason? What’s the proper response? Turn to them and ask them to please take a step back. It doesn’t have to be rude, but it’s a natural reaction to people who are crowding.

We don’t get to do that in the race, and I think that’s what aggravates me and sets me off. I just want to tell the car that used me as their brake in T1 was f lap 1 to back off and wait their turn! The only way we have to communicate is to try to type a message during the race, which is irrelevant and only costs time, or to push back, which inevitably costs SR. Can’t even give the driver the finger out the window. So I think not having any recourse for idiots ruining races is what’s bugging me so much.

I just need to get back to driving and not worrying about DR. I ought to just let them by. But Maggiore is one of those tracks where once you let someone by, a whole train of cars go by, so I fight for every position too much. It’s a fun track, but invites the worst part of me to come out.
I tend to flash my lights at them, for whatever that does. It's a hey I saw that! move.

Maggiore is a shame as I actually enjoy driving it and I'm pretty good at it for my level, despite not finding it very interesting aesthetically, it invites dirty driving and contact.

I drove two clean races just now with only a couple of bumps not caused by me, and no clean race bonus and no movement on SR.

I don't know, I guess I'm waiting for the races to change at this point (not a fan of RBR).

Don't know about etiquette with this one but when I have a penalty I don't really attack unless I'm way quicker (and that doesn't happen often 😂 ). I rather try to calm down and focus on the approch after the penalty is served

Depends on the situation. Sometimes I let people by. Most of the time I don’t. Sometimes depending on what section(s) of the circuit are coming, I won’t relinquish position no matter what - in hopes that they catch dirty air and go off.

However, when I serve the penalty, I always get off the main race line so I won’t un-ghost right in front of someone

Last edited:
Depends on the situation. Sometimes I let people by. Most of the time I don’t. Sometimes depending on what section(s) of the circuit are coming, I won’t relinquish position no matter what - in hopes that they catch dirty air and go off course.

However, when I serve the penalty, I always get off the main race line so I won’t un-ghost right in front of someone
For me it depends on the situation, if battling is slowing us up I'll let them go, if I'm about the same pace I try to get a gap or maintain our speed to minimize the total time lost.

Always pull off the racing line to serve the penalty. Force of habit but also to stop my back doors getting smashed in....

Honestly think this all amounts to lack of contextual thinking and nuanced judgment. They raced through the 1 player events by knocking everyone off the track, so they’ve been trained by the game to do that in competition. Don’t even get me started on that “sportsmanship” video they made us play while we went to get a drink or whatever. 🙄
This is my thoughts exactly. The game should have penalties in one player.

This is my thoughts exactly. The game should have penalties in one player.
I forgot that they DON’T have penalties. This alone would help a LOT! Hit them hard with costly penalties and teach them not to do that. That would be such an easy fix. The way I understand it is that they nerfed the current penalty system to appease the World Series racers who thought they were too harsh. They should add very harsh penalties to 1P races to reinforce “good sportsmanship” and not teach them how to drive dirty with no consequences.

I forgot that they DON’T have penalties. This alone would help a LOT! Hit them hard with costly penalties and teach them not to do that. That would be such an easy fix. The way I understand it is that they nerfed the current penalty system to appease the World Series racers who thought they were too harsh. They should add very harsh penalties to 1P races to reinforce “good sportsmanship” and not teach them how to drive dirty with no consequences.
There are 2 games being played at the same time here.

The one against emotionless AI in a semi controlled sand box. The other is with real people with real feelings and fallibilities.

I think that SP is fine how it is, the answer is not penalties in SP but a better intro to racing online against other humans.

The way that daily A is used at the moment doesn't help. Low grip cars with sometimes suspect handling. No DR etc.

At launch A was essentially a junior clubsport race (Clio's, Golf's, sccirrocos etc) these were good short sprint races in controllable cars and the pace was knocked back. These races allowed you to learn and improve.

But now A is a weird purposeless whatever weird stuff race with no learning appeal.

So if you want to race competitively online as a new player depending on week you are thrown in to a Gr3 machine or demoralised in a Gr4 machine that is either meta dominated or has certain driving characteristics (short shifting etc) to really get the most from them.

Daily C is not new online racer friendly either most of the time.

So ultimately I think penalty severity can be tuned for GTWS tour drivers.

But it's not penalties that are the problem it's the fundamental way people are "taken through" online. There is no training wheel races for new players and lower ranked players which ultimately sets them up for failure from the start.

Last edited:
Yes, I clocked in 1'59.827 just now at LM. Thank you for the replays @sturk0167 and @TheNormsk. They gave me a better idea of how to handle my braking for each corner and how fast I flow through the corner exits. The white curbs help too in Sector 5. I may leave it that for now.

Or should I push for under 1'59.000? I guess we'll see how much extra free time I have.

EDIT: 800 total races finished(at 1:22pm) EST

Last edited:
You don't have to tune to go fast mate. It will get you 3/10ths or a fraction more.

If you are using the mazda (which you should) then it's just diff tuning that smooths out some of the torque steer. So

5/60/5 but you have to hit the turn in points and be confident on the throttle.

There is some really wanky stuff you can do on the brakes as well but that is a different topic.
So, I stick to the avatage 🥴 not tuning and so on and managed to get a low 2:00:xxx and had some good races yesterday with starting 10th and getting to 5th 😂☺️
I’ll just ignore the tuning from now on, because I have no time to figure the pros out 🤷🏻‍♂️ thanks

So, I stick to the avatage 🥴 not tuning and so on and managed to get a low 2:00:xxx and had some good races yesterday with starting 10th and getting to 5th 😂☺️
I’ll just ignore the tuning from now on, because I have no time to figure the pros out 🤷🏻‍♂️ thanks
Consistency, pace (understanding what is fast) is the magic bullet, not moving a few sliders around.

I ran a couple good ones with no tuning this morning. They’re fine as is. The tuning is best for time trials anyway because you don’t have to worry about drift and such when no other cars are around. Too many people are racing like they qualify: they use unstable but fast tunes, and then slide and wiggle all over the track and take people out who have the audacity to occupy the space they want to be in.

Too many people are racing like they qualify: they use unstable but fast tunes, and then slide and wiggle all over the track and take people out who have the audacity to occupy the space they want to be in.
I tend to focus my tunes towards car stability. Yes, I'm aiming for speed but I'm not that skilled to hang out at the ragged edge so for me, stability = increase in confidence = improved time.

I tend to focus my tunes towards car stability. Yes, I'm aiming for speed but I'm not that skilled to hang out at the ragged edge so for me, stability = increase in confidence = improved time.
Same for me, to feel comfortable with the car but I just don’t have time to analyse how it affects the speed finally. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Same for me, to feel comfortable with the car but I just don’t have time to analyse how it affects the speed finally. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I'm gonna be controversial here....but I can set top 1k times without tuning. That is not hubris. But realistically the fundamental part of pace is knowing what is fast and how to go fast, the tuning is the tweaking bit.

Tuning to a degree will compensate for certain things but much lit TC it doesn't stop you spinning out sometimes.

So realistically when you really self reflect it's how you drive that is the biggest factor not anti roll bar 7 or 8 etc.

Edit:

The secret sauce is just having smooth exits, it's really that easy it doesn't care if you are wide or deep but you reap the benefits of really smooth exits. Where the car is stable and the Rev bar not hunting.

Sometimes (most of the time a slower entry and better line is the key to unlock pace)

Last edited:

If you are going to do that then why even race? There are times when you have to drive around to rebuild your SR but "mentally quiting" is not what I would consider a option. I give up nothing without a good reason. If you are faster I would consider letting you pass but I do know you will work to get pass me. I will not cheat (swirving or ramming is off the table). Using your example above, if you are in a situation where there is a question about safety then back out if you are not comfortable (or work your way through it). I think having a penalty often brings out the "lack of thought" in many racers. They must feel that winning the race to the penalty zone is important. In these cases I usually back out and ride their bumper to the penalty zone looking to pass once they serve the penalty but not all think this way.

But it's not penalties that are the problem it's the fundamental way people are "taken through" online. There is no training wheel races for new players and lower ranked players which ultimately sets them up for failure from the start.
The main reason I quit worrying about DR was the fact that the matching system has been out to lunch for a very long time. I was feeling there was no way I was ever going to move up racing the better drivers. I am very consistant now but I am just not fast enough yet.

If you take the last 5 races I ran online, 4 of 5 was in a lobby that matched me against A, B, and C drivers. I am good with racing C drivers because I feel I race at that level (from what I have seen online) but the only way I have better than most A or B drivers is they quit the race.

E, D, and some C drivers need to be in races where they are matched accordingly - not against "better" drivers. Now before people start screaming about the benefits of racing better drivers I constantly watch their races and TT laps to learn from them but racing them is quite a different thing. Watching them driving away during a race is not teaching me anything (other than most are quite hilarious on what graphics\quotes they put on the rear of their cars).

My thoughts.

You know what after reading everyone's posts, I think I'm gonna stick with being a C/D driver for now, cause I've seen many Youtube videos of people with an A/B rating and their opponents are rough and mean as hell. They won't consider you or pass you, but instead they will ram or punt you into the wall which I think is a load of bull. I know PD won't address the issue so I'm not wasting my breath about it. For example this race I was in with the pole time, I led most of the first lap until someone in the Mustang rode my butt which caused me to get more anxious and then I lost control before the final straightway near the finish line.

Then at the start of lap 2 I took a left and someone sideswiped me causing an accident, I had to barrel my way back on track to get somewhat caught up.

1708809260309.png

The rest of my race went well and I finished in 7th, I messed that opportunity up for a top 5 finish. It's my fault, I should have let the Mustang pass me. I would rather be better off finishing 2nd/3rd than risk getting in front of a cluster of cars and losing control and go offtrack and finishing dead last.

Last edited:
I'm gonna be controversial here....but I can set top 1k times without tuning. That is not hubris. But realistically the fundamental part of pace is knowing what is fast and how to go fast, the tuning is the tweaking bit.

Tuning to a degree will compensate for certain things but much lit TC it doesn't stop you spinning out sometimes.

So realistically when you really self reflect it's how you drive that is the biggest factor not anti roll bar 7 or 8 etc.

Edit:

The secret sauce is just having smooth exits, it's really that easy it doesn't care if you are wide or deep but you reap the benefits of really smooth exits. Where the car is stable and the Rev bar not hunting.

Sometimes (most of the time a slower entry and better line is the key to unlock pace)
True👍

I try to be as smooth as I can. And the time trial is the best place to practice that. You get instant feed back with your lap time. 60 minutes is my usual practice time for non tune events and double that for the tune events. Every one here understands the need for seat time, but as it has been said before, there is no way to make the weekend racers to do this. It would be nice if the game could keep track of a drivers practice time and match them with drivers of the same time.

I just recently discovered (you all probably knew this all along) that you can create custom races and have BoP applied to fairly closely simulate and practice for the actual races (complete with getting shunted off the track if you brake earlier than the car behind you does!).
I may have to start going that route. I'm curious though as to how PD can calculate the BoP of each car based on the weight, mass, horsepower and the certain track it drives on.

EDIT: I am not doing any races at RBR, I changed my mind. 11 laps is still long and time-consuming. I agree that ranked drivers should be grouped in the same lobby. A/B drivers then in the other lobbies(C/D drivers). That's my opinion on the matter. I cannot deal with carnage and mayhem on the track b/c of the dirty A drivers.

Last edited:
If someone wants to be a **** at turn 1/2 at Maggiore man is it hard to avoid without intentionally losing places. Can shove you outside over grass or push you inside over grass and especially at the start of the race it can spell doom for your position.

Regarding penalties, here's a funny little trick:

If you get a .5 track limit penalty on the final lap, and it appears likely that you won't serve it before the finish line, it gets rounded up to 1 second at the end.
So if the car or cars behind you are within a second, they will be awarded with your position.
Why not get yourself another .5 penalty if it can help you to stretch the gap to more than a second?

A 1.0 penalty and a .5 penalty count the same at the end of the race. :D

Last edited:
Back