GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 30,129 comments
I don't understand why all three races can't have a ranked and unranked match making option....so people can practice them all in real conditions.

I'm assuming filling 6 lobbies vs 3 is the main issue
I'd rather 6 varied races in that case, having 3 of the same races but twice would be a hugely unnecessary stretch of the playerbase.

I'd rather 6 varied races in that case, having 3 of the same races but twice would be a hugely unnecessary stretch of the playerbase.

I was just being pragmatic. Clearly they don't want to add more than 3 races so my thinking was to make ranked or unranked play optional for the 3 existing.

• don't need to create 3 races
  • no additional artwork etc
  • gives every race a practice mode on the servers in real conditions
  • it also allows an escape for people just not having great days/racing but in the race they chose.

In an ideal world I should be able to pick a track and there is a ranked race to do. That is the ultimate but sadly we are far far far from that!

Edit: sp

Last edited:
It's worth remembering that the entire GT7 playerbase is split up by console and region in Daily Races, before you even get to the consideration of matchmaking players across each of the 72 A/B and 48 C races each day.

We already encounter situations where you can see SR S drivers paired with SR C drivers, or six-car races in some regions at some times, so how do you think it'd be with just one additional event?

It's worth remembering that the entire GT7 playerbase is split up by console and region in Daily Races, before you even get to the consideration of matchmaking players across each of the 72 A/B and 48 C races each day.

We already encounter situations where you can see SR S drivers paired with SR C drivers, or six-car races in some regions at some times, so how do you think it'd be with just one additional event?

In this thread we are in a bit of a bubble in terms of what's really going on.

The reality is there just isn't the online player base to do races the way PD want to do. The 2 way category spread, console spread, region spread all just further dilute the options.

The only thing they can do is make online more compelling and accessible. But Fiat 500s round high speed ring this week is hardly the way to encourage people who've been racing the AI

I was just being pragmatic. Clearly they don't want to add more than 3 races so my thinking was to make ranked or unranked play optional for the 3 existing.

• don't need to create 3 races
  • no additional artwork etc
  • gives every race a practice mode on the servers in real conditions
  • it also allows an escape for people just not having great days/racing but in the race they chose.

In an ideal world I should be able to pick a track and there is a ranked race to do. That is the ultimate but sadly we are far far far from that!

Edit: sp
At first I was thinking this could be a good idea and then I considered this week's race A. Unless you happened to have a QT that put you in pole of 2nd place I don't know why you would want to run that ranked which got me to think, that what might happen is that unless you were putting in pole setting QT, most people would probably do the unranked, as why risk the DR if you're not on pole? So the ranked races would probably end up very sparse or only populated by drivers that are driving above the apparent class.

At first I was thinking this could be a good idea and then I considered this week's race A. Unless you happened to have a QT that put you in pole of 2nd place I don't know why you would want to run that ranked which got me to think, that what might happen is that unless you were putting in pole setting QT, most people would probably do the unranked, as why risk the DR if you're not on pole? So the ranked races would probably end up very sparse or only populated by drivers that are driving above the apparent class.

That's a very good point.

I was thinking back to the launch races with Clios and Scirrocos round brands that were A races. They felt like accessible club level races for me and were what bought me back to online racing. I personally prefer the hassle and bustle albeit slower speed but tighter grids.

On the why risk your DR....well firstly you have to finish well to increase it, and to do that you have to race ranked races.

The reality is if you want your DR where it is never race ranked competitively again or put soooo much time in to QT and then realise at some point your aren't ever going to be pole, but then what do you do?

You have a DR of A or A+ but no longer race in ranked lobbies? So what is the point of that DR?

The whole ranking system for GT needs a real world rethink. It's designed around trying to do two things and it does neither very well. The same goes for ACC.

Edit to add:

This weeks A is a good example of ranked and unranked accessibility for the game.

In the lower lobbies pole isn't going to make a difference. The majority of players are currently in the D/C levels @Famine please correct me if I'm wrong

Which means this is the group we need to improve and help online, I think PD actually recognise this hence removing ranking from A and making races like the fiat 500 round the HSR to make it accessible.

Last edited:
Well, you know exactly what my plans are...

...now. Right? 😆
As hard as we try, to squeeze out a few milliseconds, got to admit we are relatively slow this week compared to the rest... No idea why 🫣

Another bottom start (P13) but did my own race, waited for clean opportunities and had relative success (I think) 🙄

Attachments

• 186f60be16a60-screenshotUrl.jpg
    186f60be16a60-screenshotUrl.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 5
and then I considered this week's race A. Unless you happened to have a QT that put you in pole
Speaking from experience, the last place you want to be in Race A is pole - I've started nearly every race from there this week, probably won about 3 of them!

Can't believe how quickly the cars behind catch up and pass you, and if that doesn't happen you get rammed out at turn 2!

Speaking from experience, the last place you want to be in Race A is pole - I've started nearly every race from there this week, probably won about 3 of them!

Can't believe how quickly the cars behind catch up and pass you, and if that doesn't happen you get rammed out at turn 2!
The times I've been on Pole or 2nd, I've won or come in 2nd. The times I've been mid pack, I do often catch cars in front (might be a manual vs auto advantage) but then get caught in T2 off the preferred line and then lose out.. T2, first lap is do or die in that race.

Got accused by the Silk Cut livery Jag after the race of running him off the track and got called a prat. If anyone can point to me where I did this that would enrage him that would be greatly appreciated. Can only assume he mixed me up with someone else.

As hard as we try, to squeeze out a few milliseconds, got to admit we are relatively slow this week compared to the rest... No idea why 🫣

Another bottom start (P13) but did my own race, waited for clean opportunities and had relative success (I think) 🙄
Yeah right. Trying to get at least a slight improvement I had to tame the beast:

33CCB709-78CB-4513-961E-5752791CF13A.jpeg

Which led to this:

AA983FE7-D02D-4C5C-806E-030B48E51065.jpeg

This track is basically about blasting through the esses and avoiding a TLP by one or two pixels, and controlling the rear end at the final exit onto the main straight. I still haven't done a single lap in which I nailed both.🤦‍♂️

Yeah right. Trying to get at least a slight improvement I had to tame the beast:

View attachment 1240492

Which led to this:

View attachment 1240493

This track is basically about blasting through the esses and avoiding a TLP by one or two pixels, and controlling the rear end at the final exit onto the main straight. I still haven't done a single lap in which I nailed both.🤦‍♂️
Very nice bro! Will try tomorrow as wife has a girl catch-up thing for lunch so will have some free time 🤣

Got accused by the Silk Cut livery Jag after the race of running him off the track and got called a prat. If anyone can point to me where I did this that would enrage him that would be greatly appreciated. Can only assume he mixed me up with someone else.

I watched the whole race and I think he’s an idiot for blaming you. Don’t worry. I wish you posted the race info so I could see if I’ve ever encountered the driver myself. I saw someone else run him off the track before you caught up with him the first time, at which point he took the inside line on that last chicane and drove right into the side of you because he didn’t slow down enough to turn sharper and leave enough room for anyone else. I saw him do it yet again to another driver on the next lap, and then he ran into you on the inside line at T1. Then you passed him yet again as he was doing some serious penalty time.

My overall assessment is that he’s quicker than you but dumber than a bag of hammers, at least in this race. There’s a reason he kept losing positions due to driving incidents. You, on the other hand, ran a clean and respectful race. I think he was just venting at you since you’re the last car he saw in front of him at the end of the race. He very clearly has zero self-awareness and even worse track awareness!

View attachment 1240492

Which led to this:

View attachment 1240493

I can’t help but notice you cut me off of your leaderboard. Still sitting on the same time I set on my first laps. 😈

Last edited:
Still sitting on the same time I set on my first laps. 😈
Am I to understand that you set your current QT when you ran your first set of laps, you've tried to improve it since then, and haven't been able to? If so, have you only tried a few times, or a bunch of times?

The reason I ask is that I set my best QT a couple of days ago, and I can't better it, so misery (me) would love to know if I have company (you).

Due to the ranked/un-ranked business, I find myself in a bit of a strange gameplay loop...

I can take part in Race A, which is normally where I find the most fun, but it won't rank me up. This is fine. I enjoy the races when at the appropriate DR, and as others have said, I've found 'a good group'.

If I decide that I like Race B or C, I may also take part but I'll be risking my rating even if I enjoy the competition. Sometimes I'm discouraged from taking part in Race B or C EVEN IF I ENJOY THE RACING because I don't want to abandon my safe haven of Race A.

On a week when you only enjoy Race A you're quite literally stuck, unless you stay away from the ranked races.

I watched the whole race and I think he’s an idiot for blaming you. Don’t worry. I wish you posted the race info so I could see if I’ve ever encountered the driver myself. I saw someone else run him off the track before you caught up with him the first time, at which point he took the inside line on that last chicane and drove right into the side of you because he didn’t slow down enough to turn sharper and leave enough room for anyone else. I saw him do it yet again to another driver on the next lap, and then he ran into you on the inside line at T1. Then you passed him yet again as he was doing some serious penalty time.

My overall assessment is that he’s quicker than you but dumber than a bag of hammers, at least in this race. There’s a reason he kept losing positions due to driving incidents. You, on the other hand, ran a clean and respectful race. I think he was just venting at you since you’re the last car he saw in front of him at the end of the race. He very clearly has zero self-awareness and even worse track awareness!
This, 100%.

Am I to understand that you set your current QT when you ran your first set of laps, you've tried to improve it since then, and haven't been able to? If so, have you only tried a few times, or a bunch of times?

The reason I ask is that I set my best QT a couple of days ago, and I can't better it, so misery (me) would love to know if I have company (you).
I’ve tried and tried to beat my time. I originally attacked that track to figure out how it worked and I ran a few sets with different cars. But I had such bad experiences in the first races, I think my heart wasn’t into it. I did Race C on Thursday. Then I focused on the two World Series races on Wednesday and today. I finally had one good day of racing yesterday at Race B and tried to improve my time all afternoon, but to no avail. I may hit it again later, or tomorrow, just to crack the 1:18 barrier, but I’m not very interested in that race any more.

By the way, dusk is at around lap 19 or 20, at which point your times will improve.
If I decide that I like Race B or C, I may also take part but I'll be risking my rating even if I enjoy the competition. Sometimes I'm discouraged from taking part in Race B or C EVEN IF I ENJOY THE RACING because I don't want to abandon my safe haven of Race A.
I’m in the same boat, but I’ve also decided that my A ranking isn’t doing me any favors. I was fully committed to just letting my DR drop this week, and like magic my “don’t give a flip” attitude freed me up to just enjoy the races regardless of the outcome. In fact, I ended up having a series of the best races I ever had at Race B, which I was sure would be the death of me at the beginning of the week.

I’d also encourage you (and everyone else) to try out the Nations and the Manufacturers races when they come around again. You get paired with people who are all very close to your level and it makes for some great racing, but more strategic than the daily races.
Pure evil intention...😈🤣
Sorta. Well, yes. In all honesty, I have no clue why this track was so good to my qualification times, because it was an absolute **** to me for the races themselves!

Last edited:
By the way, dusk is at around lap 19 or 20, at which point your times will improve.
I'm always surprised when I set a QT during the initial get-to-know-you stage, and then can't do better. I've learned to save my best laps even if I think they're not that great, because you never know.

As for lap 19 or 20, you mean running laps without resetting, right? I've never even tried that before. Might be interesting. Let's see, that's probably about 25 minutes or so, and I can pause it when I get tired. I'll have to give it a go.

Disagree concerning A. What’s really the issue with having one unranked race? The "standard combos" as you call them when they’ve appeared in A have actually been quite fun. Sometimes one just wants to race and can’t be bothered to put in the energy in setting a good qualifying time.
Agreed. Sometimes if fun going into a race knowing that some scrub can't kill your DR by wrecking you out.

I've had some absolutely fantastic races in Daily A when DR/SR are turned off. In my experience, clean drivers will drive clean and dirty drivers will drive dirty regardless of DR/SR accountability.

I'm always surprised when I set a QT during the initial get-to-know-you stage, and then can't do better. I've learned to save my best laps even if I think they're not that great, because you never know.

As for lap 19 or 20, you mean running laps without resetting, right? I've never even tried that before. Might be interesting. Let's see, that's probably about 25 minutes or so, and I can pause it when I get tired. I'll have to give it a go.
You can also just start your qualifying session and then park it with the e brake on and let the time/timer run for 20mins or until dusk. I tend to use this method for when I want to test out multiple cars at their fullest potential 🍻

zjn
What car do you advise for B next week? I don't own any Gr2 and would like to buy one
I'm wondering the same thing. I have the NSX GT500 but it feels slow. Might buy the CLX and Lexus and do some testing as to which one feels better for me. I would love some advice from GR2 veterans here because SPA is by far my favorite circuit! Is the McLaren fast?

Is the McLaren fast?
No, I wish, but no. It's down there with the '08s.

CLK will probably be the best bet for the race but I'm honestly thinking the GTR or NSX could give it a run for its money due to the increased cornering capabilities in sector 2. I imagine they will balance out though and the CLK will catch up again by the end of the Kemmel.

I haven't actually tested it, but I'm thinking it will be similar to the Fuji race in that regard.

No, I wish, but no. It's down there with the '08s.

CLK will probably be the best bet for the race but I'm honestly thinking the GTR or NSX could give it a run for its money due to the increased cornering capabilities in sector 2. I imagine they will balance out though and the CLK will catch up again by the end of the Kemmel.

I haven't actually tested it, but I'm thinking it will be similar to the Fuji race in that regard.
Well hope they make the CLK available for purchase soon so I can race it!

Thank you to everyone who mentioned waiting until it started to get dark to run qualifying (start Q, set emergency brake, come back in 20 or 30 minutes, drive like hell for 32 laps like I did). I lowered my time at Lago Maggiore from 1:18.451 to:

1679196682809.png

It wasn't until lap 26 that I started seeing some results, then they started rushing in. I ran a couple of laps after I set this time, thinking I'd like to try to break the 1:18 barrier, but I can barely keep my eyes open.
1679197689353.png

OK, @Bullwinkle , @Leon Kowalski, and everyone else below me on this list, the gauntlet has been thrown. (Sorry for gloating, but this never happens to me this late in the week.)
1679196778329.png

FWIW, I set this time with Assists turned on. I swear I was faster with them on, but then again, I can't really drive with them off, so what do I know?

I shared it in Showcase. Search for "gtp11":
1679197168096.png

Last edited:
How much people want to brake for Degner 1 is mental in the SF19's, Even giving as much space as I can possibly find I still run into the back of some drivers for that wholly annoying 2 second penalty. Should be barely even a lift at top speed I don't see why people are slowing down so much for it.

Back