GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,478 comments
How has the standard of driving been for anyone who has tried a few races?
Also, I got my answer for "standard of driving" at Spa - DISGUSTINGLY HORRIBLE, FILTHY, SCUM-INFESTED NIGHTMARE in case anyone was wondering.... ⚰️ :grumpy::ouch:
Yeah, that was my first experience this week too. Although to be honest, I was just holding people up due to my mistakes, so I suppose I shouldn't really blame them.
Hmm, if I think about it... yeah, now I see, there must be some settings available which could make me faster. I just can't be the case that I just suck at driving Gr3 cars. 🤣
You haven't seen "suck" until you've seen me drive.
I’ve probably spend 4 times as much time practicing and doing Qually laps, as I have racing. Sometimes I’ll spend 8-10 hours practicing, just to do a single 1 hour race.
THIS. This is exactly what I do. Of course, being retired means I have the time to do this. I have two goals when I run hours of Q laps:

1) Get a good enough time to be in the top 4 or 5 of B/S lobbies, if I can. A lot of times I end up 1 or 2, and it's not because I'm a great driver. It's because I spend hours qualifying.

2) Learn how to drive the track by instinct (more or less), so I make fewer mistakes when there's a lot of distractions around (i.e. traffic). In other words, I know my braking zones and lines. Spa is tough because the 1st turn, and the bus stop chicane are so exacting.

A few things I want to throw out there

How does everyone use ghosts? I have mine .2 or .3 if I can catch them in the first corner I move it out. I don't reset for sectors and personally get a lot of value out of them. They show me what the differential is at the finish line visually.

I do lots of QT laps usually for 2 reasons: I'm racing a specific friend and to be fair he is dragging me forward time wise. Secondly track familiarity. It's easier to drive with awareness when you know the track layout inside out. What the corner exits look like, where the escape roads are etc

Lastly there is a reason drivers hate practice session bans, they want to drive and that's what helps you improve just doing sessions. But the question is how much QT is enough?

Last edited:
Personally I love the ghosts because I stop overthinking my lap times just a slight glance make sure it's blue and I'm away. I end up being faster if I relax. And like you say track awareness, I can see where I can go wide and not get a penalty.

How does everyone use ghosts? I have mine .2 or .3 if I can catch them in the first corner I move it out. I don't reset for sectors and personally get a lot of value out of them. They show me what the differential is at the finish line visually.

I do lots of QT laps usually for 2 reasons: I'm racing a specific friend and to be fair he is dragging me forward time wise. Secondly track familiarity. It's easier to drive with awareness when you know the track layout inside out. What the corner exits look like, where the escape roads are etc

Lastly there is a reason drivers hate practice session bans, they want to drive and that's what helps you improve just doing sessions. But the question is how much QT is enough?
I use .3 and .2 offset. I usually reset between sectors but sometimes I don't. When I don't, I always make sure I'm using a ghost that will not vanish during the lap.

Don't forget to practice laps without the ghost. I've had cases where I turn off the ghost and completely loose my references and optimum lines.

I (almost) always run my own ghost, 0.4 or 0.5 ahead. So if I improve, there's a new one. And because I know where I nailed a sector and where I screwed up in my recent best lap, I know what to focus on now.

That's the good part.

The bad part is, I often have to yell at myself about how the hell I can't replicate a certain turn, exit or sector which I had nailed before (probably accidentally).😆

I don't do ghosts. I find them more distracting than the blue/red clock at the bottom...and I wish I could turn THAT off. Well, turn it off without losing everything else, that is. I just like to run laps until I accidentally find myself "moving with the car" as I'm sitting on my couch. I'm the worst technical racer EVAR...it's all sights/sounds/feels.🤣

I do spend way more time qualifying than racing, and for the following benefits (mostly same as others, I'm sure):
  • Track familiarity - because bumper cam. You kinda gotta know where you're headed without being able to see a damn thing at times
  • Muscle memory - to build-up that reaction without thinking. Tend to find out when you got it wrong sooner if you do
  • Position = Survival - The higher up I can start, the more I can lose hope to retain
  • Consideration - If I suck, imma (potentially) destroy 15 other peoples races. Rather not
  • Because my friends are faster - 'nuff said 😁
:cheers:

I use .3 and .2 offset. I usually reset between sectors but sometimes I don't. When I don't, I always make sure I'm using a ghost that will not vanish during the lap.

Don't forget to practice laps without the ghost. I've had cases where I turn off the ghost and completely loose my references and optimum lines.
This is a very good point I have to say, I personally race the ghosts to my track or furniture references, which in race don't change.

So come the race I'm still racing my markers rather than follow the car in front. Obviously brake earlier but I look for exit markers as well as brake markers

I was lucky to have @bone_tone and @Barney Da Dog in some of my races while I was trying to cling on to A....but not doing my hours of QT Bit me as I crashed in several of the races...I broke my own rule!

No real drama, just one person keen to take my place and wedged the door open but it makes do difference if I bin it with too much throttle the next lap anyways...

So tomorrow is 2:16 day, no meetings and on top of my work so will have more time but we will see how the day pans out.

I had a decent race that time, but the next one I lost it at the same corner you went off. I'd tried the GT-R and it seems to behave differently on the kerbs (to me anyway)

Had a mishap one with one of my PS controllers - I just use them for chat and menus, but one has been playing up with a sticky button causing problems when using the wheel.

I took the controller apart and blasted aviation contact cleaner everywhere - but putting it back together, I cut a ribbon cable 😭
But at least I have another controller - or so I thought - turns out I picked up the good one by mistake!! 😭😭🤣🤣 So now I have 2 broken controllers. Bummer.

I don't do ghosts. I find them more distracting than the blue/red clock at the bottom...and I wish I could turn THAT off. Well, turn it off without losing everything else, that is. I just like to run laps until I accidentally find myself "moving with the car" as I'm sitting on my couch. I'm the worst technical racer EVAR...it's all sights/sounds/feels.🤣

I do spend way more time qualifying than racing, and for the following benefits (mostly same as others, I'm sure):
  • Track familiarity - because bumper cam. You kinda gotta know where you're headed without being able to see a damn thing at times
  • Muscle memory - to build-up that reaction without thinking. Tend to find out when you got it wrong sooner if you do
  • Position = Survival - The higher up I can start, the more I can lose hope to retain
  • Consideration - If I suck, imma (potentially) destroy 15 other peoples races. Rather not
  • Because my friends are faster - 'nuff said 😁
Black magic tape 😉

Finally got a win in the 2J. Still not at one with the car to the point I apologised to second place because I clearly felt he was faster. At least I didn't take him off.

Yes I am finding that if you have clean air and stable you can win easily.
Clean air means getting in p1 early

So yesterday I started racing on my new Alt account (aka child no.2’s account), 7 races, 5 wins, 7 top 5, 6 fastest laps. I’m already mid C for DR. I think I’m about 1 more good race away from overtaking the DR on my main account, which I’ve been toiling away at for months! 🤣

After acclimatizing with the car and track in general, I usually take the fastest available ghost from global LB and set it at 0.5s ahead of me. At first, it's not really about the lap time but trying to learn how best they enter/ exit corners and then the speed. Usually do it sector by sector and then set the ghost behind me so I can remain in visible contact for the latter part of the lap.

When I feel I have a good enough lap myself, I set my own ghost at 0.7s ahead and start trying to go faster and faster. Most of the time I end up taking it to as low as 0.3s and then remove it and just focus on the running lap time difference.

Usually do this process from start to finish when I have over an hour to spare, which isn't often. In those cases, I do something similar but not to that level of lunacy 🤣

I do spend way more time qualifying than racing
I'm with you there!
Position = Survival - The higher up I can start, the more I can lose hope to retain
This!

I've been away from the game for a bit. Doing other fun stuff. It's going to rain the next few days so I may get on it again. So how's the races going? B is all GT Citroen right and what is the consensus for car of choice for C?

I used to always keep my ghost even with me, and only flash it up periodically to check where I was. But now I set it .5-.8 ahead, so I can just leave it up and follow it better. It gets in the way less now, and I feel like I get more out of using it by following it from farther back now.

Last edited:
After acclimatizing with the car and track in general, I usually take the fastest available ghost from global LB and set it at 0.5s ahead of me. At first, it's not really about the lap time but trying to learn how best they enter/ exit corners and then the speed. Usually do it sector by sector and then set the ghost behind me so I can remain in visible contact for the latter part of the lap.

When I feel I have a good enough lap myself, I set my own ghost at 0.7s ahead and start trying to go faster and faster. Most of the time I end up taking it to as low as 0.3s and then remove it and just focus on the running lap time difference.

Usually do this process from start to finish when I have over an hour to spare, which isn't often. In those cases, I do something similar but not to that level of lunacy 🤣
I find this massively interesting, I do a similar thing but I never use my own ghost. Honestly because I can't be bothered toggling it on and off. I pick s ghost of pace I want to follow and just do that. These days I don't crash often so a fixed reference works for me.

I will say that ghosts aren't replacements for knowing a track or brake markers, just a good guide to help you extract more from those markers or zones

The real fun is when you 'graduate' to the next level fresh off a string of wins only to get stomped...repeatedly, and sometimes right back to where you came from.🤣

@Chris30 Yes! Was re-captivated by Deep Forest this week for sure. Throwin' the car off the cliff to the left through 6/7 was a thrill. Every. Single. Time. It's all the crazy elevations and blind turns from the 'Ring without the single-lane, goat-path experience.😁

Been a low B for a while now, but drop down to C occasionally when I have a bad run of races. I usually get back up quickly though. Not sure what’s more satisfying - doing really well in a C/S lobby, or sweating to stay in 8th place in a B/S race.

Really enjoyed DF last week too.

This is the highest I've ever been on a TT leaderboard. Kinda wish DR was enabled, I went 5 wins outta five here last night.

Screenshot_20240416-143000.png

I find this massively interesting, I do a similar thing but I never use my own ghost. Honestly because I can't be bothered toggling it on and off. I pick s ghost of pace I want to follow and just do that. These days I don't crash often so a fixed reference works for me.

I will say that ghosts aren't replacements for knowing a track or brake markers, just a good guide to help you extract more from those markers or zones
Exactly!

Also, I had some time to think about your offer below and I made a decision:

"How much do you want me to beat it by tomorrow? I'll let you decide ;)"

I challenge you to improve your own time by at least 0.316 seconds. Why such a precise number you ask? Well... I like Math 🤣

Also, wow @AdxRE btw 🔥🔥🔥

1713301495226.jpeg

How does everyone use ghosts?
Whenever I use a ghost, I have it set to .4 seconds ahead.

When I use my own ghost, I keep it turned off except when I want to check how I'm doing. So on my wheel, I have the "circle" button set to show/hide the ghost. [RANT] I wouldn't need to do this if getting penalties during Q laps didn't result in at least one, and oftentimes two wasted laps. But since they do, I reset whenever I get a penalty, which means I can't use the +/- time. [/RANT]

When I use a leader's ghost, I leave it on. I may or may not have it reset at each section, depending on whether I need it or not.
But the question is how much QT is enough?
Since everyone has a different amount of time available to spend on GT7, I'm not sure how useful this information is. But that won't stop me from answering it!

For me, it depends on the track and whether I enjoy the races or not. If the races suck, I'll chase my friends on our leaderboard. If I like the races, I'll Q enough to get a time which usually puts me in the top 5 of B/S lobbies. I'll Q more if I keep messing up sections of the track during a race.

If I get bumped to A, I'll often spend more time qualifying so I don't start near the back, if I can help it.

Daily C might shape up to be pretty fun this week. At first for about 30 minutes of Q, I was annoyed with turns 2 & 3 along with vicious kerbs on the course - but then something clicked and I started riding roughshod thru the corners. Got a 1:39.2, which I was Ok with. First few races have been pretty fun so far

Anyone else soaking up the Gr3s at Spa? Finally a week where I can run my favourite car/track combo again. The recent BOP update seemed to help the R8 a ton. My DR has never been in a higher place (ha!)

Anyways, this weeks race B has been a blast and I don't understand the hate towards the combo.
you know I am!

Edit: Good to see you, morning and night! Although qualy times are getting pretty insane, I went from 4,5,6 to P9,10 tonight. There was some guy name inostroza on pole... He seemed pretty fast :) I finished 8 and 10 and earned dr in both races this eve.

Last edited:
you know I am!

Edit: Good to see you, morning and night! Although qualy times are getting pretty insane, I went from 4,5,6 to P9,10 tonight. There was some guy name inostroza on pole... He seemed pretty fast :) I finished 8 and 10 and earned dr in both races this eve.
Yeah it's been a blast racing with you again! Always good company on track. Congrats on boosting the DR! I'm enjoying the higher DR rating while the game offers my strongest combo... next week it'll tank :)

Back