GT7 Expectations - Same Old or New breath of life?

• Thread starter AXEofGOD
  • 126 comments
Every time I use VGChartz data I preface it with a caveat because it's unreliable. Your point is moot.

An anonymous source on the internet is not a source. End of.
While VGChartz is usually incorrect indeed, they always seem to be close to the real numbers, not sure where they get the sales data from though, either lucky guessing or retailer contacts.

While VGChartz is usually incorrect indeed, they always seem to be close to the real numbers, not sure where they get the sales data from though, either lucky guessing or retailer contacts.
Moving into the digital download age there is no way for them to be accurate without getting the digital sales information directly from the source. In the past they used hard copy sales from selected retailers and estimated from there and when all sales were hardcopy they were pretty close quite often. They can't be considered reliable these days IMO which is why I cast doubt on the numbers earlier with a, "if you believe, if you don't believe" comment.

Moving into the digital download age there is no way for them to be accurate without getting the digital sales information directly from the source. In the past they used hard copy sales from selected retailers and estimated from there and when all sales were hardcopy they were pretty close quite often. They can't be considered reliable these days IMO which is why I cast doubt on the numbers earlier with a, "if you believe, if you don't believe" comment.
Digital sales are usually not even mentioned by publishers, We rarely get numbers from the digital market at all, so you can't really say it's only VGChartz, it's almost the whole industry that doesn't give you digital numbers. I've seen articles where publishers reveal sales/shipped numbers without mentioning anything about digital sales, so there is absolutely no way for them to know about digital sales as it's an inside information available only to Steam/Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo.

that information is later passed on to publishers.

Since VGChartz doesn't have access to digital sales, it may the reason why they are close to the actual numbers but never quite there.

Regardless, I wouldn't call them completely unreliable, they are the best at approximate sales providing out there until publishers reveal actual sales.

They may have anonymous sources, but those sources do seem to be quite reliable according to their numbers, they had GT6 sales almost spot-on.

Coincidence?

Last edited:
Just seeing those stupid Vision GTs get highlighted, the focus on these contrived competitions, and absolutely zero mention of any worthwhile gameplay update or addition....just like the runup to GT6....makes me think its going to be same old same old.

Kaz thinks his game sold poorly because 7 and 77 year olds cant pick it up and play. We are in deep trouble. When I was 7 I was hanging upside down from a jungle gym talking about kudies. GT was not for me. When I turn 77, well, I'll probably be dead by then. So GT would definitely not be for me.

My expectations right now are about rock bottom. The good news is surely PD is holding alot of good news back, because it cant be this bad, can it?

Last edited:
Since VGChartz doesn't have access to digital sales, it may the reason why they are close to the actual numbers but never quite there.

Regardless, I wouldn't call them completely unreliable, they are the best at approximate sales providing out there until publishers reveal actual sales.

They may have anonymous sources, but those sources do seem to be quite reliable according to their numbers, they had GT6 sales almost spot-on.

Coincidence?

This is how VGChartz operates:

They scour the usual sites (NeoGAF, IGN, Eurogamer) for any information on sales data.
Once they have a nugget, they use their "model" to predict the sales curve.
If new data comes out somewhere, they update their curve point.

VGChartz is as reliable as googling a good source for an available information.
If there's no good source (some real chart tracker or PR) they are in the dark and their stuff is just guess.
During the whole Virag thing, their data put GT6 at 3.X millions. So no, their data wasn't "almost spot-on".

This is how VGChartz operates:

They scour the usual sites (NeoGAF, IGN, Eurogamer) for any information on sales data.
Once they have a nugget, they use their "model" to predict the sales curve.
If new data comes out somewhere, they update their curve point.

VGChartz is as reliable as googling a good source for an available information.
If there's no good source (some real chart tracker or PR) they are in the dark and their stuff is just guess.
During the whole Virag thing, their data put GT6 at 3.X millions. So no, their data wasn't "almost spot-on".
It is still close.

3million-4million is pretty much the actual GT6 sales according to the last reveal.

I have complete faith in it being complete and utter trash, just like GT6 was. The fact that people continue to believe Kaz when he gives the same promises he did back with GT6, is amazing. Some people never learn I guess.

Alone the fact that they somehow think being vague about what GT: Sport even is, just screams out that they haven't learned a damn thing. This is the worst possible time for them to be vague about anything. It's like they're from another galaxy. They have no grasp on how to communicate with their consumers, nor do they have any sense of direction for what they actually want to achieve with their games.

Back