GT7 - Idea for car swap during fuelling and tyre change

• Thread starter GMW
  • 12 comments

Is this something you would be interested in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GMW

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
GMW
Wouldn't it add another element of fun if we could swap cars (within the PP guidelines) during longer races (Like the 30mins 700pp race in France)? Imagine going into the pitstop with a Ferrari F40 and coming out with a Ferrari F50. It would also give the chance to compare the differences within the same race. Just an out there thought. Keep rules for running curbs/shortcuts penalties in place but let us have some more fun with unique ideas. Even if they don't follow the norm for racing and why not? This is a game, our imagination should be the limit.

I don't see this working too well in a race situation, on a practical level it unbalances the race and on a technical level the game has to load your garage cars into the RAM to allow the cars to be avaiallbe to be switched to should you want to do that, this would have a huge impact on the game and probably wouldn't actually be possible.

However, I do see legs in implementing this idea in a different way. Track testing. Go to a track for testing, just you and the track, no AI to load in. Pick a small number of cars to take with you, say 3 or 4, and then from the pits you can change the cars settings and swap to another car you've taken with you. So do a few laps in that F40, pit in, change the settings, do a couple more, pit in, swap to the F50 etc. But I don't see it having legs in a wider use in actual races.

Last edited:
Unless you're starting out a endurance race with an EV, this makes no sense.

In fact, somehow EVs driven by AI can have their batteries recharged on pitstops which I suppose is also possible for players, which makes this swap even more pointless.

Maybe bringing back GT Sport's garage access on the race screen could help with this.

Nah... But I would LOVE to be able to switch the car I'm using at the start of a race without having to back out and sit through loading screens. That would be a great QoL addition, but swapping from a 911 GT3 RS to something like the Alfa 190 or any other AWD during severe rain just seems like it would be cheating.

Now if they insist on making it so Sarthe and Tokyo are the only ways to efficiently make credits long into the future, sure, bring it on. Anything to break up the monotony would be a welcome change.

Last edited:
Nah... But I would LOVE to be able to switch the car I'm using at the start of a race without having to back out and sit through loading screens. That would be a great QoL addition, but swapping from a 911 GT3 RS to something like the Alfa 190 or any other AWD during severe rain just seems like it would be cheating.

Now if they insist on making it so Sarthe and Tokyo are the only ways to efficiently make credits long into the future, sure, bring it on. Anything to break up the monotony would be a welcome change.
Good point! Actually they should make all the tracks have an equivalent 700pp race that brings in 800,000+ credits at a go. That would open the whole game up to trying different circuits while trying out cars from the whole garage.

Last edited:
GMW
Good point! Actually they should make all the tracks have an equivalent 700pp race that brings in 800,000+ credits at a go. That would open the whole game up to trying different circuits while trying out cars from the whole garage.
I wouldn't want every race be 700pp, nor would I wnt them all to be 30 minutes, but they need far more high Cr races that all pay a similar amount of Cr per hour of play. We desperately need Gr.2 races and there are still cars that have no real use, so give them some.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want every race be 700pp, nor would I wnt them all to be 30 minutes, but they need far more high Cr races that all pay a similar amount of Cr per hour of play. We desperately need Gr.2 races and there are still cars that have no real use, so give them some.
I agree, I was being too specific but yes we need more variety across all pp and with better pay. Polyphony needs to realise that for all the realism they strive for this is still primarily a game and should be a relief from the real world not the same grind.

Swap cars? No. Just no.

How about adjusting downforce (within PP limits)? I'm trying to think of things that actually do get adjusted during pitstops IRL. Some cars have adjustment points for a couple of suspension settings too.

I don't see this working too well in a race situation, on a practical level it unbalances the race and on a technical level the game has to load your garage cars into the RAM to allow the cars to be avaiallbe to be switched to should you want to do that, this would have a huge impact on the game and probably wouldn't actually be possible.

However, I do see legs in implementing this idea in a different way. Track testing. Go to a track for testing, just you and the track, no AI to load in. Pick a small number of cars to take with you, say 3 or 4, and then from the pits you can change the cars settings and swap to another car you've taken with you. So do a few laps in that F40, pit in, change the settings, do a couple more, pit in, swap to the F50 etc. But I don't see it having legs in a wider use in actual races.
I like the track testing idea!!

Maybe bringing back GT Sport's garage access on the race screen could help with this.
200% this, not having this feature on most race modes is a pain (I remember it's here on time trial mode at least, but I'm not sure). GT Sport was way ahead of GT7 on the practical side / menus.

Otherwise, idea from original post is very strange indeed :)

Back