GT7 is compatible with motion rig ?

• Thread starter poumpoum
  • 680 comments
Now that my foot is almost healed up fully, I've been racing again the past week and making more tweaks to my DOF rig. I've got a somewhat happy medium between lots of Roll and not lots of GCOD (Green Cage Of Death). I think I'm honestly going to have a setting just for open wheel cars and set it on my phone if/when I need to as well as a calmer setting for rally racin'. We'll see, but here's my compromised settings:
Current GT7 Settings.png

Jerome

Last edited:
I need to make further tweaks. I had two things essentially come undone after two weeks of serious racing.

First, when I finished a session yesterday, I adjusted my seat a little and when the YAW section moved, I heard some metal scraping. I quickly found out that two of the bolts that secure the YAW motor to the bottom base of the rig came loose. I added some threadlocker to both bolts after removing the base section, hopefully that will do the trick?:
1.png

I then went back to racing and maybe an hour later, the YAW felt 'funny', like it was working in the opposite direction. Well, the vertical bolt that holds the arm to the base came fully undone:
2.png

I think the root cause of all this, is in my YAW settings. I had the max range set to 10, now I'm assuming 10 is the max range from one end to the other. If I manually swing the YAW when the rig is off, it is a little bit difficult to move it out of the fully extended position:
3.png

I'm going to set it to a max of 8 and if the vertical bolt comes out again, I'll threadlocker it (it's waaay easier to get to) if I need to later.

I'll keep churning away at my setting tweaks and when I think it's all in place, I'm gonna take an open top Mazda to Atlanta and see if the YAW, PITCH and ROLL settings seem to match what I see with the car in VR.

Jerome

Last edited:
Here's my latest settings, after a lot of testing, trying, etc. The Overall Smoothing really helps with those jarring motions as you begin a license test. I'd say lower the max angle for F1 type cars and if/when doing so, lower the YAW, PITCH, ROLL, HEAVE and SURGE smoothing as an offset to still feel more sensation even though the rig is tilting less.

I'd also suggest increasing the overall smoothing to max/near max and decrease the max angle to like 20-ish(?) for rally races; the new Master license test at the snow track in the Pugeot for example is.....BRUTAAAAL in a sim rig. I had could barely keep my feet on the pedals at times :lol:

Current GT7 Settings.png

Jerome

Hi, new member here. I created an account to ask a question related to motion compensation on PSVR2.

I have been considering a DOF Reality H3 or H6, but putting that off until something can be done about the motion compensation issue. One idea that came to mind would be the use of an FPGA that sits between the PS5 and TV, via HDMI, that applies a transformation of the tracking image to compensate for the motion. Alternatively, this same thing could be achieved with the monitor being physically attached to the motion platform, but that would require a light weight screen option to optimize the load.

This would probably require the PSVR2 to be used in a very dark environment. I am not sure how practical this would be, so want your thoughts.

Last edited:
Hi, new member here. I created an account to ask a question related to motion compensation on PSVR2.

I have been considering a DOF Reality H3 or H6, but putting that off until something can be done about the motion compensation issue. One idea that came to mind would be the use of an FPGA that sits between the PS5 and TV, via HDMI, that applies a transformation of the tracking image to compensate for the motion. Alternatively, this same thing could be achieved with the monitor being physically attached to the motion platform, but that would require a light weight screen option to optimize the load.

This would probably require the PSVR2 to be used in a very dark environment. I am not sure how practical this would be, so want your thoughts.
What motion compensation issue? I'm not up to speed on that. The only 'issue' with using a DOF with PSVR2 is when your head leaves the virtual cockpit and the screen goes black with green bars.

Jerome

What motion compensation issue? I'm not up to speed on that. The only 'issue' with using a DOF with PSVR2 is when your head leaves the virtual cockpit and the screen goes black with green bars.

Jerome
Yes, the same issue. I am assuming that it is caused by the PS5 interpreting the movement in the headset while the motion system is in action as a head movement initiated by the the person. Then when that is happening within boundary conditions it results in the green frame.

Yes, the same issue. I am assuming that it is caused by the PS5 interpreting the movement in the headset while the motion system is in action as a head movement initiated by the the person. Then when that is happening within boundary conditions it results in the green frame.
Ayep. But PD will never fix something like this for a couple reasons unfortunately:
1) Motion Sim isn't officially supported, so PD thinks those with a PSVR2 have static rigs or a controller, which they are right, I'd guess about 99.99999999%
2) They'd have to allow your head to travel outside the boundaries of the car interior (obviously), but saying it is one thing and doing it is another when things like this likely have to be locked down for stability. They didn't build the game with that in mind and I highly doubt GT8 would be any different.

However, what could help and be totally doable, is an adjustable in cockpit center point where you can specify (for each car since they are all different) where you want your head to be located in the cockpit (within reason, no going in the center of the car). Or, perhaps set a percentage buffer between the car boundaries. Alas, neither will never happen, sadly. But I will say my current settings are getting better, certainly way better than the default.

Jerome

Last edited:
Ayep. But PD will never fix something like this for a couple reasons unfortunately:
1) Motion Sim isn't officially supported, so PD thinks those with a PSVR2 have static rigs or a controller, which they are right, I'd guess about 99.99999999%
2) They'd have to allow your head to travel outside the boundaries of the car interior (obviously), but saying it is one thing and doing it is another when things like this likely have to be locked down for stability. They didn't build the game with that in mind and I highly doubt GT8 would be any different.

However, what could help and be totally doable, is an adjustable in cockpit center point where you can specify (for each car since they are all different) where you want your head to be located in the cockpit. Or, perhaps set a percentage buffer between the car boundaries. Alas, neither will never happen, sadly. But I will say my current settings are getting better, certainly way better than the default.

Jerome
Yes, so what would be required as a solution is if the tracking image that is shown on the TV screen was augmented through software using data from the motion system to compensate. This would fool the headset into thinking that it remained stationary during moments where the motion rig is moving. This assumes that the PSVR2 software prioritizes the TV tracking image reference. Any additional head movements would work as normal.

This would be something that would be third party and not require PD.

To test this theory, what would be required is to mount the screen to the motion rig, and try in a pitch black room.

Last edited:
Hey DubbyMcDubs,

I've put on a 40" monitor on a vesa mount to the H3 rig previously and found the tracking was no better than if the monitor was on the wall. If the room is too dark the VR headset tells you to introduce more light, as well. But I can run it back to back if it'll help prove a theory for ya. Happy to help, just explain in absolute detail what the test should do and what type of feedback I can provide.

The bell curve is definitely in effect with motion and GT7 - around 70% of the tracks with 70% of the cars a generic profile setting will work and give you a convincing experience, you don't need much motion to have that immersion effect, without the need for motion compensation. Not to say it wouldn't help - it surely would, but the configuration as-is runs well enough to be not only playable but enjoyable. Could be nonsense but I find after a handful of position resets (holding the start button) in the cockpit on the opening lap helps stabilize the POV for the remainder of the race. Short downward slope (braking on top of track pitch) and bank are the fatal factors in my experience; oval tracks/Daytona, Grand Valley, Bathurst, etc. The key is to reduce pitch and roll angle for these profiles.

Fine tuning the nuances to each model and then to each track is turning into an art form - and there's an interesting thing where you're going back and forth adjusting for the car (suspension?) or for the seat of the pants feel (inertia?). There's also an absolute mess of the process when you're tuning for each individual item only to find the system overburdened with the blast of all simultaneous movements, and that's true for all the sensory/immersion devices (pedal rumbler, wind, transducer, etc.). You're writing a symphony not a solo - it's tough! I typically isolate each line item, tune to the point where it feels best, then go and make a universal downward adjustment to all individual sliders, typically 30-40%, to provide overhead for competing actions. From there it's highlighting certain vectors that better represent the car or experience per car. And some cars I simply can't get to work right.

I've had a good fortune to experience a number of sports and race cars in real life, close to 10% of the cars in the video game, and that has helped with tweaking motion profiles across the garage. Using those real life memories as my baseline cars I've begun fiddling with chatGPT, taking the parameters vs raw telemetry I have set as the control, then asking GPT to infer, based upon the salient facts it has available of the target car (weight, weight distribution, wheelbase, gearing, power band, etc.) and using its raw telemetry data by comparison, where a recommended baseline could be. It hasn't yet become the smoking gun I'd hoped but does give some percentage adjustment suggestions which I start off with and then poke around in the dark until I find what I'm looking for out of the sensation. Again, it's tough to differentiate when you want the immersion to be about the car or yourself.

Jerome - I've been meaning to try out your settings, will do so this week and write back.

To anyone on the fence, if the financial barrier isn't an issue and you have a good sensitive a** you can reference it's a fun hobby setting up these profiles. Unfortunately it is not a retail turn-key enterprise. I'd like to start a repository sometime for user submitted profiles that we can share and enjoy. All dozen of us. If it's a bridge too far to make, my favorite rig setup is a folding chair from any of the name brand companies, 3.5nm+ torque servo with 12" rim, load cell pedals, transducer and some good headphones. VR if you can stomach it. Ergos are right, convenience is high, costs are low. After that it's chasing diminishing returns.

Last edited:
Oh, you also don't need a pitch black room and with PSVR2, you won't want that as there's a button to flip between live view and in-game view.

Jerome

I made some tweaks since the last time I posted. I guess you can't see the numbers very well from the pictures above so I've written them down. These settings might be too 'calm' for some, but I think its a good representation. No more jarring motion when you restart a license test and there's minimal black/green boxing unless the camber is outrageous or there's little to no head room.

::Gran Turismo 7 Motion Settings::

MOTION:
Max Angle - 55
Overall Smoothing - 76
Reaction Speed - 100
Boost - 1

EFFECTS:
Intellitune - Aggressive
Pitch - 8 | 7
Roll - 17 | 7
Yaw - | 1800
Lat G Sway - 13 | 13
Long G Surge Accel - 19 | 6
Long G Surge Decel - 19 | 12
Vert G Heave - 15 | 6
Engine Haptic - 1 | Off

RACING:
Traction Loss Rear - 17
Wheel Slip/Lock - 4 | Greyed Out
Rumble Strips - 4 | Greyed Out
ABS Lock - 4 | Greyed Out

SMOOTHING EFFECTS:
Pitch - 3
Roll - 3
Yaw - 0
Sway - 3
Surge - 3
Heave - 3
Traction Loss Rear - 0

ADVANCED
Min Traction Loss Rear Activation - 0
Min Traction Loss Front Activation - 0
Gear Smoothing Factor - 25

Jerome

Last edited:
Wow! I bet that is an amazing experience! I highly doubt I will ever get anything that fancy, and definitely jealous!

I obviously don't know what the values mean and won't be of any help in this thread but I did want to ask about that max angle setting. Does that value mean that you can go anywhere from +55 degrees all the way to -55 degrees in any direction?

Wow! I bet that is an amazing experience! I highly doubt I will ever get anything that fancy, and definitely jealous!

I obviously don't know what the values mean and won't be of any help in this thread but I did want to ask about that max angle setting. Does that value mean that you can go anywhere from +55 degrees all the way to -55 degrees in any direction?
Thanks buddy! If you love sim racing as your main hobby, I'd recommend DOF Reality equipment as its been solid and you can spend like $2,000-$3,000 (after shipping costs) to get one.

You are essentially right on what that max angle means. Due to the game's PSV2 modeling limits, if you lean too far to one side, the display will all turn black with green bars. It happens when the headset goes outside of the cars modeling (think of trying to stick your head out the window). So while I'd like that to go above 55, to better reflect cambered turns, its kind of a compromise.

Jerome

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I am considering getting a motion rig (and a new cockpit). I am only playing GT7 with PSVR2 so far. A few questions:

- how often does it happen due to the motion rig that you see „black“, your head is basically out of the cockpit?

- I know it won’t make me faster, but is there anyone using it in online races? I am quite competitive and would hate it if I get black screens in a daily race

- which motion rig does support GT7? I only read about Simrig SR2, D-Box and Yaw. Are there big differences in quality and immersion?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I am considering getting a motion rig (and a new cockpit). I am only playing GT7 with PSVR2 so far. A few questions:

- how often does it happen due to the motion rig that you see „black“, your head is basically out of the cockpit?

- I know it won’t make me faster, but is there anyone using it in online races? I am quite competitive and would hate it if I get black screens in a daily race

- which motion rig does support GT7? I only read about Simrig SR2, D-Box and Yaw. Are there big differences in quality and immersion?

Thanks!
There's quite a few of motion sims that could work with GT7. I think if the motion rig is compatible with Sim Race Studio, then it will work in GT7 as that's a nice 'middle man' app/device. Especially with their 'magicbox' (raspberry pi on the same lan as your ps5 - I highly recommend wired connections for both ps5 and magicbox).

The issue with the black box and green bars only really becomes an issue if you:
A) want to really feel the side tilt motion a lot (sway left and right)
B) super high cambered corners like T1 of High Speed Ring and Daytona (Nordschliefe hasn't been much of a problem surprisingly) I have to lean the other way slightly (this depends a lot on your amount of side tilt in your motion setup and the car)
C) cars with 'small' cockpits. Think, MP4/4, the OG Mini, cars where if you turn your head to the side and "SUDDENLY WINDSHIELD". I found a lot of the Vision GT cars have this problem due to their crazy small, aerodynamic cockpits

The vast majority of the cars its not a problem at all, except those two turns I mentioned. I managed to find a compromise in Sim Race Studio I'm happy with as I don't want too jarring of a motion to begin with.

All that said, I still love it tremendously and I'm so spoiled I can't go back to any screens now, even triples feel like a joke. I'm glad I took the plunge still, but there's really only a few drawbacks to having a motion sim:
A) more cost, uhh....lots more
B) spoils you for 'tv' racing games
C) configuration in sim race studio takes a while to dial things in and find out what does what. But I found it's equal parts fun and curiosity
D) building the sim rig is a CHORE, so get ready for that, no matter which brand you choose
E) black/green screen in GT7
F) not every game is designed for VR. ACC for example is just 'okay' graphics wise, not cutting edge like GT7, but still totally fun

HTH buddy!

Jerome

Last edited:
There's quite a few of motion sims that could work with GT7. I think if the motion rig is compatible with Sim Race Studio, then it will work in GT7 as that's a nice 'middle man' app/device. Especially with their 'magicbox' (raspberry pi on the same lan as your ps5 - I highly recommend wired connections for both ps5 and magicbox).

The issue with the black box and green bars only really becomes an issue if you:
B) super high cambered corners like T1 of High Speed Ring and Daytona (Nordschliefe hasn't been much of a problem surprisingly) I have to lean the other way slightly (this depends a lot on your amount of side tilt in your motion setup and the car)
C) cars with 'small' cockpits. Think, MP4/4, the OG Mini, cars where if you turn your head to the side and "SUDDENLY WINDSHIELD". I found a lot of the Vision GT cars have this problem due to their crazy small, aerodynamic cockpits

The vast majority of the cars its not a problem at all, except those two turns I mentioned. I managed to find a compromise in Sim Race Studio I'm happy with as I don't want too jarring of a motion to begin with.

All that said, I still love it tremendously and I'm so spoiled I can't go back to any screens now, even triples feel like a joke. I'm glad I took the plunge still, but there's really only a few drawbacks to having a motion sim:
C) configuration in sim race studio takes a while to dial things in and find out what does what. But I found it's equal parts fun and curiosity
D) building the sim rig is a CHORE, so get ready for that, no matter which brand you choose
F) not every game is designed for VR. ACC for example is just 'okay' graphics wise, not cutting edge like GT7, but still totally fun

HTH buddy!

Jerome

What motion rig do you have?

HTH buddy!

Jerome
Thanks a lot! Yes, costs are as they are. I guess around 4k€-5k€ are expected. Do you also use it for online races, where the black screen could really be annoying? It sounds like the issue is acceptable, just certain tracks and certain cars are more tricky.

Which racing game does have the best VR support currently on the PC? Just asking in case I wanna give other games a chance in the future and of course new games will come out one day, better VRs etc.

And yes, which motion rig do you use? And which cockpit? I consider upgrading to the SimLab GT1 Pro, as far as I know it can be easily mounted on a motion rig. EDIT: SimLab charges for the shipping to Malta 400€.... then I rather go with the GT Omega Prime, shipping for free

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! Yes, costs are as they are. I guess around 4k€-5k€ are expected. Do you also use it for online races, where the black screen could really be annoying? It sounds like the issue is acceptable, just certain tracks and certain cars are more tricky.

Which racing game does have the best VR support currently on the PC? Just asking in case I wanna give other games a chance in the future and of course new games will come out one day, better VRs etc.

And yes, which motion rig do you use? And which cockpit? I consider upgrading to the SimLab GT1 Pro, as far as I know it can be easily mounted on a motion rig.
Hey mate. I use DOF p3, it is the rig, your seat and peripherals mount to it. I was a daily player on gt7 in VR until I got a PC about 8 months ago. On PC I play assetto corsa with content manager and all the bells and whistles with a quest 2 for VR. I had a go of gt7 the other day for the first time since I got the PC to test drive hub with logitech dd wheel, drive hub enables full torque on gt7, played for an hour and went back to PC and assetto corsa. While PC option takes some setting up, GT7 on ps5 just doesn't cut it any more. Added bonus with PC is motion compensation I.e. no black screen effect like gt7.
Don't get me wrong GT7 in VR with motion rig is awesome, but assetto corsa on PC with VR and motion is just better.

I've been mulling a lot of things, but nothing I've thought of seems to fit. I've seen 0x98 hit 1.0000 at times, so it seems to cap at that value, but hovers around 0.97-0.99 usually from what I've seen. But as you say, 0xA0 could be some kind of reference plane, question is what? I don't think it's related to anything like weather, time of day and any such things.

Slippage? Downforce? G-forces?

Has anyone checked if these packets really are floats? I just assume they are, but one wonders what they represent if they are broken out into other chunks (shorts, ints).

Also, as for the packet table, I believe that 0x88 is the value for where the rev limiter kicks in. At first I thought that the values were for low and high end of the rev bar thingy in the middle of the HUD, but as far as I can tell the 0x88 value is where the rev limiter seems to kick in, and where the AI shifts up. So what the other rpm value at 0x8A is for, I do not know. I have yet to correlate it to anything in-game. Could it possibly be related to some kind of boost or nitro, sending the engine rpm rocketing?
Nothing about steering angle?

And yes, which motion rig do you use? And which cockpit? I consider upgrading to the SimLab GT1 Pro, as far as I know it can be easily mounted on a motion rig. EDIT: SimLab charges for the shipping to Malta 400€.... then I rather go with the GT Omega Prime, shipping for free
I personally don't race online anymore, mainly because I no longer have the time to dedicate to it. So I just play offline for fun.

I've only tried ACC on PC in VR and while it works well, the graphics aren't optimized for VR; it just doesn't look polished like GT. But otherwise once you get used to the slight difference in graphics, it's truly a game changer. So much so that I feel bad for those people who bought triple screens :P I don't play iracing personally, not sure if it supports VR. I'm really hoping AC2 supports VR and that Sony releases their PSVR2 drivers for PC around the same time. Ohh baby, I can't wait for that, plus the modding community support?!?! My odds on GOTY (with some assumputions about VR, naturally).

I have the DOF Reality P3 platform, its the model 'meant for showrooms with heavy use'. I figured, in for a penny, in for a pound. It comes with all you need, except the seat itself. I bought the GT Omega RS 6 seat and some Soporoco seat belt on Amazon. That isn't really necessary per se, but I'd recommend it for all the reasons you can think of (immersion, safety, etc.). All in on that front, with shipping to the USA and I'm just under $4,500USD IIRC.

Don't forget, to play GT7 with a motion sim, you'll need a middleman app thats running the Sim Race Studio app. Licensing there is pretty cheap (to start with) and I think their Raspberry Pi magic box is like $200USD? Or you can install the app on a laptop/pc to have running alongside your PS and PC. HTH!

Jerome

Back