GT7 is compatible with motion rig ?

• Thread starter poumpoum
  • 680 comments
The tool is now available here. I tried to document as much as I could recognize.
https://github.com/Nenkai/PDTools/tree/master/SimulatorInterface (MIT License)
Binary: https://github.com/Nenkai/PDTools/releases/tag/1.0.0

Here's a little showcase.

Awesome! I'll try it later today. Does it logs the data and save the telemetry file? Do you have any doc about the schema you used? I'll try to figure out what are the unknown channels once I get it running... I'll work on a telemetry analysis tool soon!

it adds a new dimension to the game! Hope it won't get locked by pd!

thanks!

Awesome! I'll try it later today. Does it logs the data and save the telemetry file? Do you have any doc about the schema you used? I'll try to figure out what are the unknown channels once I get it running... I'll work on a telemetry analysis tool soon!

it adds a new dimension to the game! Hope it won't get locked by pd!

thanks!
Right now it just prints to the console. Anybody else is free to extend from this or make their own - as long as attribution is given.

Awesome work, kudos to the decryption reverse engineering! :bowdown:

From what i've learned from glossing over the code is that you send your PS an udp 'request' packet and it will send back a encrypted 'telemetry' packet. Decrypt it via Salsa20 and using your magic key and voila, you have your telemetry app.

Will it work only in 'live' mode, i.e. only when you are driving on track or also for replays?

That said, i'm not sure about PD's willingness to go public with that, anytime they want they can plug the decryption hole. :nervous:

Long time ago we learned that PS4 can have secondary screen on a phone/tablet. From that point, I was wondering why PD and other developers are not using this? I was dreaming about a configurable dashboard or additional telemetry data (like tyre temps).

Is this opportunity mean that someone may develop something like this? If the in-house developers are missing the given chance, I wouldn't mind to run an independent app - if it can have the data... It would be very nice to have just the scenery on TV and dashboard (and game data) on a phone/tablet much closer.

Awesome work, kudos to the decryption reverse engineering! :bowdown:

From what i've learned from glossing over the code is that you send your PS an udp 'request' packet and it will send back a encrypted 'telemetry' packet. Decrypt it via Salsa20 and using your magic key and voila, you have your telemetry app.

Will it work only in 'live' mode, i.e. only when you are driving on track or also for replays?

That said, i'm not sure about PD's willingness to go public with that, anytime they want they can plug the decryption hole. :nervous:
In which case they'd have to bother letting all the vendors know so they can update. I can't see the harm with the sort of information, personally. I couldn't find anything other than pure telemetry. It's barely been changed since GT6 too.
It works in pre-race and in-race. Haven't tested in any other places.

Last edited:
In which case they'd have to bother letting all the vendors know so they can update. I can't see the harm with the sort of information, personally. I couldn't find anything other than pure telemetry.
So true, data is harmless, they just have to worry about (and hopefully already have) throttling requests to avoid denial of service.
But the use of encrypted packets leaves me worried. Let's hope for the best.

The tire data looks interesting and there are still some unknowns, hope i can dive into that some more. From what i saw in your packet info there might be temperature/pressure or something along the lines hidden in there.

Very nice. Hope I'll have some time in the near future to see if I can get an Arduino to read the data and control my bass shakers.

I'm not very knowledgeable about this. Is this sort of like "motion capturing" a virtual car?

The tool is now available here. I tried to document as much as I could recognize.

Do you think the position/location values (which look reversed... Z, Y, X?) are normalised to real-world units, like metres? I've been looking for ways to determine track elevation for the fantasy tracks to make 3D elevation track guides* (like is shown in the build-up for many real-world race broadcasts) but there was never a way to get heights beyond guesstimation.

* like this, but for fantasy tracks too (and a better resolution lol):
23c0471364675cc063887dae0d5f38ce_preview_featured.jpg

Does the undocumented variables give out data, if you add it to the output the community might be able to work out what is what.
Yeah they do. I could do that as a seperate debug option.
Do you think the position/location values (which look reversed... Z, Y, X?) are normalised to real-world units, like metres? I've been looking for ways to determine track elevation for the fantasy tracks to make 3D elevation track guides* (like is shown in the build-up for many real-world race broadcasts) but there was never a way to get heights beyond guesstimation.

* like this, but for fantasy tracks too (and a better resolution lol):
23c0471364675cc063887dae0d5f38ce_preview_featured.jpg
I think it is all in meters yes.

Awesome stuff. Thanks so much for putting in the work and sharing this..

I'm putting together a Python implementation.. I have the message sending/receiving part complete - i.e. I'm getting the data packets (of 0x128 byte size) - but I haven't started on the decryption part yet.
I'm not familiar with C#, so will need to do a bit of research before I can reference your code and reimplement the Salsa decryption functionality in Python... (planning to use: salsa20 - PyPI)

I see you have shared via an MIT license, so if/when I get the Python version working are you OK with me sharing via Github with MIT license (and attribution to you, of course)...?

Last edited:

I'm putting together a Python implementation.. I have the message sending/receiving past complete - i.e. I'm getting the data packets (of 0x128 byte size) - but I haven't started on the decryption part yet.
I'm not familiar with C#, so will need to do a bit of research before I can reference your code and reimplement the Salsa decryption functionality in Python... (planning to use: salsa20 - PyPI)

I see you have shared via an MIT license, so if/when I get the Python version working are you OK with me sharing via Github with MIT license (and attribution to you, of course)...?
I've been looking too for a python implementation, if you need help let me know. I'm not an expert into decryption, but willing to help

Does the undocumented variables give out data, if you add it to the output the community might be able to work out what is what.
I added an option --debug to display unknowns.

I'm putting together a Python implementation.. I have the message sending/receiving part complete - i.e. I'm getting the data packets (of 0x128 byte size) - but I haven't started on the decryption part yet.

Yes that'll do. thank you.

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7 Telemetry Data Now Available via Open-Source Software

Over the weekend, we told you about the discovery of a “secret” API in Gran Turismo 7 which enables motion simulators to respond to what is happening inside the game’s environment. Through additional research, this same interface was found to contain a wide range of real-time data, including everything from tire “temperatures”, to engine RPMs, and positional information...

Last edited:
Note: while the interface provides some data, and some of that data isn't really visible in-game (tyre temps, etc):
there's an awful lot of basic data that isn't included.

There's absolutely nothing in relation to tyre wear, fuel, hybrid systems, steering input.
You know, all simple important things you would absolutely want from a dashboard or telemetry viewer. 😢

Last edited:
Back