GT7 on PS4 Pro locking up during loading.

• Thread starter HGHTCH
  • 40 comments
Its very playable for me. I haven't had one problem with the game on my PS4 Pro. It loads way faster on my PS4 Pro than it did on my PS4 Slim with the same SSD instaled in both consoles and I haven't had any loading problems or lockups
What kind of SSD do you use?

Could it be the SSD’s manufacturer’s (Crucial) problem? Right now we’ve three people reporting issues with using the MX500 on the PS4, but no issues with running another manufacturer’s SSD on the PS4 reported by one. Granted, this is a very small sample size from which we cannot derive any conclusions, but perhaps it could be a possibility for further investigation?

Hello, I also used MX500 2T, after a week misery now I moved back to HDD. Probably we can use our MX500s as external... or in our Notebook 🥴
Using it as an external is not really a viable alternative for me because of how easy it is to unplug the ports, especially when you’re dusting.

My notebook is an Apple Mac, so I’m not gonna modify it in any way, because, well, Apple products just aren’t meant to have their internals modified. :lol: So I guess I’ll have to continue using it that way, and pray that it doesn’t happen to me anymore.

Could it be the SSD’s manufacturer’s (Crucial) problem? Right now we’ve three people reporting issues with using the MX500 on the PS4, but no issues with running another manufacturer’s SSD on the PS4 reported by one. Granted, this is a very small sample size from which we cannot derive any conclusions, but perhaps it could be a possibility for further investigation?

Using it as an external is not really a viable alternative for me because of how easy it is to unplug the ports, especially when you’re dusting.

My notebook is an Apple Mac, so I’m not gonna modify it in any way, because, well, Apple products just aren’t meant to have their internals modified. :lol: So I guess I’ll have to continue using it that way, and pray that it doesn’t happen to me anymore.
Not just Crucial. There’s a group @Discord, they wrote a script to make credits, they ran into this with all SSD brands. In fact, they wrote a stress test on the load against their will. Some only freeze every 100th load, but it happens sooner or later on an SSD. In general, a PS4 (Pro) HDD to SSD upgrade makes the loading faster and at the same time unreliable. See my post above about write amplification. I’m sure this happens in other games as well. You may ask, why is there no such problem with the PS5? Because there the OS handles this in advance, as it is designed for SSD! Unfortunately, the pages that advertise this upgrade "forget" to talk about that. But SSD sales numbers are nice! 🤮
I hope Sony will pull itself together and when they finally finish uploading the black market, we will be able to buy a PS5 at an affordable price and not have to waste our money and time on such unreliable tunings.

Last edited:
No issues with PS4 Pro and standard HDD, disc version of the game, I finished the game already, very rarely I do get a lag but just for a second or less. I do only play offline at the moment. Maybe there are compatibility issues ? Does your PS4 pro overheat ?

No issues with PS4 Pro and standard HDD, disc version of the game, I finished the game already, very rarely I do get a lag but just for a second or less. I do only play offline at the moment. Maybe there are compatibility issues ? Does your PS4 pro overheat ?
It happens only when you "upgrade" your HDD to SSD.

Not just Crucial. There’s a group @Discord, they wrote a script to make credits, they ran into this with all SSD brands. In fact, they wrote a stress test on the load against their will. Some only freeze every 100th load, but it happens sooner or later on an SSD. In general, a PS4 (Pro) HDD to SSD upgrade makes the loading faster and at the same time unreliable. See my post above about write amplification. I’m sure this happens in other games as well. You may ask, why is there no such problem with the PS5? Because there the OS handles this in advance, as it is designed for SSD! Unfortunately, the pages that advertise this upgrade "forget" to talk about that. But SSD sales numbers are nice! 🤮
I hope Sony will pull itself together and when they finally finish uploading the black market, we will be able to buy a PS5 at an affordable price and not have to waste our money and time on such unreliable tunings.
How do you know it happens with every PS4 Pro with an SSD Installed eventually?

Anyone had issues with other games? If it is limited to just GT7 I may leave my SSD for now. Playing some other games and so far no issues for me. Just wondering if GT7 causes issues due to large data caching or something.

Anyone had issues with other games? If it is limited to just GT7 I may leave my SSD for now. Playing some other games and so far no issues for me. Just wondering if GT7 causes issues due to large data caching or something.
I haven't had any problems yet and I have 148 hours and 57 minutes played of the game. I've had the same SSD in a PS4 Slim playing GT4 and in my PS4 Pro with a few weeks now.

I thought I was rid of this issue after some updates but it sure is back. The game hangs on race loading every four or five races on average now.
I fear it's my PS4 that's the problem though since this doesn't seem to be a common problem.

Latest Posts

Back