"GT7 Prolonged: where was Gran Turismo 7 at E3 2015?" by VVV 2/Aug/2015

• Thread starter zzz_pt
  • 64 comments
From a purely personal viewpoint, GT has become irrelevant. I've moved on to Forza and haven't regretted it

I sold my PS3, all the games I had for it and consigned it all to the past. That's where GT is for some others too

But hey, you know, I'm not saying I'd never give GT another try. It'd have to be... well, I can't quantify how
good it'd have to be to make me splash the cash for a PS4

Time will tell of course. I think PD run on a different clock to the rest of us though :D

Were you surprised not to see Gran Turismo 7 at E3? Are you losing your patience with the series or do you think it will be worth the wait?"

To me, as a person who stopped playing GT6 on halfway it's gonna utterly depend on what the outcome of future Gran Turismo 7 would be like - if GT7 is going to be "truly" worth a purchase and I can maintain my patience for it till the release date when it comes out officially. However, if the game is going to be a scrub like previous GT games released on PS3 I wouldn't care very much if the release date gets procrastinated further or not. I wouldn't even pay much attention to it and anticipation for future Gran Turismo games after GT7 as not being able to buy the game is already a non-issue thing to me.

All I can hope PD is just make the game seem like as much neat as they can as the content of the game is the top priority for those who wait a long time for it - rather than how long it might take to finish working on a sole game. If they can promise us customers that their merchandise would be as amazing as they think it will be the time it requires those creators to finally be ready to launch the product is no longer a huge problem as long as we can figure out it's "worth a try" beforehand, but it's no longer that facile to persuade us afterwards not to turn a blind eye to the game by saying "Wait another couple of years to see what they look like" after they ended up discouraging us with what they did in the past.

From a purely personal viewpoint, GT has become irrelevant. I've moved on to Forza and haven't regretted it

I sold my PS3, all the games I had for it and consigned it all to the past. That's where GT is for some others too

But hey, you know, I'm not saying I'd never give GT another try. It'd have to be... well, I can't quantify how

Time will tell of course. I think PD run on a different clock to the rest of us though :D

If you plan to buy next GT nonetheless after shifting to another game it's going to be a necessity to check out carefully the reviews of the game to appraise how far along has it become, or else we'd end up regretting for having gotten back to the series again... I'm also one of such kind of people who got fed up with what PD had done to the games so I know how you feel. :)

Last edited:
...A lot of what's in the OP sorta makes sense, but it hasn't even been two years since GT6 shipped so I'm not sure what the author of that article was expecing to hear in E3 2015.

Agreed. I'd rather PD spend a nice while and make a well-polished game with lots of features, rather than rush some crap out the door just because other studios are willing to do so.

How has GT become irrelevant when it produces actual professional race car drivers and its tracks are sanctioned by the FIA. For those reasons alone I have to say that GT is the only one thats relevant.

How has GT become irrelevant when it produces actual professional race car drivers and its tracks are sanctioned by the FIA. For those reasons alone I have to say that GT is the only one thats relevant.
I'm fairly sure that GT Academy is not known to the general public, and any regular gamer doesn't know much of anything about the FIA and the relationship that Polyphony Digital has with them. It may seem like Gran Turismo is very relevant, but that is because we are on a forum named after the game itself.

Gran Turismo will continue to be a game that people in the late nineties and very early thousands will understand. You can look at this in the same way some gamers look at Counterstrike and Call of Duty. Counterstrike attempted to have its comeback with CS:GO, and that was after years of speculation, while Call of Duty has had a near consistent two year cycle for nearly a decade. Of course, Call of Duty is going to stay relevant compared to Counterstrike because A: They release new games on a consistent schedule and B: The franchise came along years after Counterstrike, capturing a younger audience with it.

You can say the same thing with the FM and FH series.

Not that I'm saying Forza is the Call of Duty of racing games, I'm mainly mentioning that while Polyphony Digital sits around and 'masters its craft' with their egregiously long development cycle, Turn 10 and Playground Games is snatching up the spotlight from Polyphony. Gran Turismo is dormant in terms of marketing and media exposure, and while it still has a name in the racing communities on the internet, among the regular gamer, it is as good as unknown.

None of the special credentials that people like to bring up like GT Academy, VGT, etc. has helped Gran Turismo be better as a game.

None of the special credentials that people like to bring up like GT Academy, VGT, etc. has helped Gran Turismo be better as a game.
But it makes it more important to the racing world. If you are able to become a professional from a game then that really says something about the quality of the simulation.

But it makes it more important to the racing world. If you are able to become a professional from a game then that really says something about the quality of the simulation.
And they still be trained again after they admitted to the academy.

Not to say GT6 physics is horrible beyond belief but saying that people solely go into professional branch straight from the game is a bit too stretch.

How has GT become irrelevant when it produces actual professional race car drivers and its tracks are sanctioned by the FIA. For those reasons alone I have to say that GT is the only one thats relevant
No need for me to add to the very eloquent replies already posted

They say everything (and more) that I'd have said

Agreed. I'd rather PD spend a nice while and make a well-polished game with lots of features, rather than rush some crap out the door just because other studios are willing to do so.

I think to most people that sounds ideal, however I dont think its really what PD is doing.

They're trying to do things that would take 6 years in 3 years. The result is GT6, a game 20 months old that still isnt finished.

Until PD stops biting off more then they can chew, or hires more workers to help them accomplish their huge goals, future GT releases will continue to feel rushed and incomplete no matter how long they take to complete.

The sad thing is by the time the course maker does come out it will only reach whats left of the GT6 fanbase. At this point Im sure Kaz would admit it should have never been announced for GT6 but saved for GT7. But thats just one of the many mistakes PD keeps making.

Honestly, I feel for Kaz. I feel if his vision for GT were 100% fully realized, we would have the best racing game ever made. The problem is all forms of media have limitations, and Kaz has to learn how to make his products more efficiently in the confines of Playstation's latest console. I can sympathize with him because when Im making a level in the Little Big Planet games I am ALWAYS having to remove content or skip adding things because of hardware or time limitations. As a creator of content its these types of decisions that have to be made, and Kaz has kind of dropped the ball the last couple of games. Hopefully he gets back on track with GT7.

Well boo-hoo... GT6 already has around 500 premiums if not more, giving them 2 more years I think the count in GT7 will be about 700+.

Same goes with track count or even track variables like weather/temperature/time... Not even talking about physics simulation.

So. Who's catching who? :)
It's not the car count, it's what you can do with the cars that matters. AI is embarassing as much as how PD tend to "group" the cars. LeMans classics from the 60's vs. SuperGT's? That makes no sense, not on "default settings" expecially when people can't change them.

It's not the car count, it's what you can do with the cars that matters. AI is embarassing as much as how PD tend to "group" the cars. LeMans classics from the 60's vs. SuperGT's? That makes no sense, not on "default settings" expecially when people can't change them.

Yep that is true.

I'm pretty sure the game has nothing to do with the driving skills of the people who become racers out of the GT academy. A measure of a good sim is what real race drivers think of it. You have to look to Rfactor and iRacing if you want sims real racers actually use.

How has GT become irrelevant when it produces actual professional race car drivers and its tracks are sanctioned by the FIA.

GT Academy and Nissan produce professional race drivers. GT is used for the screening, and if you've taken part then you'll know that any passable sim could be used for the same purpose.

A simulation track being sanctioned by the FIA means what, exactly? When they sanction a real life track it means it meets a certain standard. What is that standard for a simulation track? Or is it just marketing fluff?

Again, is GT the only simulation that provides you the skills to become a real racer? Or do all decent simulations provide those skills, but only one has a major sponsor that is willing to use it to filter couch potatoes for potential future racing drivers?

Exactly, you said it. GT is the most marketable racing game for this purpose. That alone makes it relevant in the eyes of some organizations and gamers. It's fair enough to suggest that other games occupying the same console genre could be used, but they aren't. For as long as GT is marketable it is relevant. That's business after all, we all agree that other games have really caught up with GT but there's no denying the effect it still has on the motor industry it has overal whether that's through what Kaz does or what the game is used to push. Ideally, its not what GT should be most known for(it should be the gameplay) but that ship has sailed until PD shape up a bit more.
GT Academy and Nissan produce professional race drivers. GT is used for the screening, and if you've taken part then you'll know that any passable sim could be used for the same purpose.

A simulation track being sanctioned by the FIA means what, exactly? When they sanction a real life track it means it meets a certain standard. What is that standard for a simulation track? Or is it just marketing fluff?

Again, is GT the only simulation that provides you the skills to become a real racer? Or do all decent simulations provide those skills, but only one has a major sponsor that is willing to use it to filter couch potatoes for potential future racing drivers?

Realism and GT + GT Academy aren't as relevant as some think, but it's still important to the program. GT Academy wouldn't exist if the medium used to carry it out didn't have some degree of realism, and the latest iterations in the series have fulfilled that purpose very well because Gran Turismo is one of the only racing games that has a relatively "hardcore" driving model (in comparison to titles such as Need for Speed) and still manages to reach an audience numbering in the millions.

I think ill put this.

The biggest problem with GT isnt physics. Its not PCars or Assetto Corsa, but it isnt terrible either. The course selection isnt terrible either, although considering its new release they really needs to add numerous. Same goes with graphics.

They however needs to revitalize its car list. Add some Forza 6 or Driveclub car list, then im happier than ever. They also NOT putting some features promised and "soon". People has witness these CM in GT6 fiasco and they definitely dont want to be fooled twice.

Excellent read from the OP, 10/10 👍

I was not surprised to not see 7 at E3. I'm actually thinking that what kind of backlash would've insued for PD from the community, given that they haven't completed 6 as of yet. If I was still deeply playing 6, was still patiently waiting for its missing feature etc, ( a silly thing to do in my opinion ), I would probably be both annoyed and mystified by Kaz spending time getting the next game out in the public domain.

I love Gran Turismo, but are we just clinging to nostalgia now with this series? The world has indeed moved on, and we do indeed have more regularly offered and better driving and racing sim experiences out there now.

I don't forsee any earth shattering announcements any time soon, the GTP news section is a good indication to me that GT is becoming less relevant on a daily and weekly basis.

I propose a solution of problem reaction solution -

Problem - We love the GT series, but the series has become stale and desolate.
Reaction - Sim racing is the heart of what you really want, but GT can't provide a relevant experience.
Solution - Branch out with other sim titles, when / if the problems with GT ever get addressed then look back into the franchise, see what's been changed.

I'm not even thinking about 7, i'll think about the GT series once again when there is meaningful news on where the series is headed. Which I don't see as being any time soon. 👍

The FIA certification is awarded to the tracks in the game which meet certain accuracy requirements. I don't even know if the FIA do this with any other games, so it is likely just all marketing. Even so, it's misleading when people say GT tracks are FIA sanctioned (certified actually but I'm splitting hairs), as only a few of them actually are.

I don't know if any other game has FIA certified tracks, but I do know iRacing's tracks are all laser scanned and much more accurate than GT6's.

With that said, the couple of tracks in GT6 with certification are certainly laser scanned, and if you play the game it's not hard to see which tracks have been built to that high detail level, and which ones are cut and paste from past games, with little tweaks to make them look more acceptable. If PD continue to scan tracks to the level the FIA are expecting, the track list will be GT7's biggest strength. I just hope they bring every track up to the same standard, just like I hope they ditch standards and have all cars built to the same standard. I hated the massive difference between standard and premium cars, and between the high quality scanned tracks and the older gen tracks. I'd like consistency.

Simple:

From a purely personal viewpoint, GT has become irrelevant.

In other words, its no longer relevant to him. It doesn't matter that only GT has this sort of competition that guarantees actual drives for race teams or that the FIA have ONLY certified tracks in GT to have met their standards, none of it will convince him to come back as well as others who feel the same.

If you honestly believe the GT Academy programme has been successful because of Gran Turismo 5 and 6... you have no idea what the GT Academy programme actually is. It's a driver training programme by Nissan. They've collaborated with Sony and Polyphony because at the time, Gran Turismo had the biggest pool of racing gamers. End of.

If sales of GT dwindle below Forza, or even Project CARS & Assetto in the next 3 years... do you really think it's still going to be called GT Academy?

If you honestly believe the GT Academy programme has been successful because of Gran Turismo 5 and 6... you have no idea what the GT Academy programme actually is. It's a driver training programme by Nissan. They've collaborated with Sony and Polyphony because at the time, Gran Turismo had the biggest pool of racing gamers. End of.

If sales of GT dwindle below Forza, or even Project CARS & Assetto in the next 3 years... do you really think it's still going to be called GT Academy?

That's a big "If". Project Cars and Assetto Corsa don't nearly cater to a wide-spread clientele as much as GT and Forza do, and there's no way Nissan, a Japanese manufacturer, will leave GT for their closest competitor, even if Forza's sales figures should exceed those of the next GT-game. I mean, PD even programmed the GT-R's inboard display ... that says something about the ties between Nissan & PD.

It's a driver training programme by Nissan.

It's a well disguised marketing programme by Nissan. They couldn't care less as long as it sells them more cars.

That's a big "If". Project Cars and Assetto Corsa don't nearly cater to a wide-spread clientele as much as GT and Forza do, and there's no way Nissan, a Japanese manufacturer, will leave GT for their closest competitor, even if Forza's sales figures should exceed those of the next GT-game. I mean, PD even programmed the GT-R's inboard display ... that says something about the ties between Nissan & PD.

If in five years Forza is selling 10 million copies every two years, and GT is selling 4 million every 4 years, should Nissan still stick with them? As a commercial decision, what makes Nissan the most money?

Nissan are an international company, and will do what's best for themselves overall. If they wish to focus on Japanese exposure, possibly, but GTA hasn't even been available in Japan until very recently. It was primarily a Euro thing, later introduced to the US and Pacific, and only lately to Asia. I doubt that Japan is the primary target of GTA.

It's a well disguised marketing programme by Nissan. They couldn't care less as long as it sells them more cars.

If in five years Forza is selling 10 million copies every two years, and GT is selling 4 million every 4 years, should Nissan still stick with them? As a commercial decision, what makes Nissan the most money?

Nissan are an international company, and will do what's best for themselves overall. If they wish to focus on Japanese exposure, possibly, but GTA hasn't even been available in Japan until very recently. It was primarily a Euro thing, later introduced to the US and Pacific, and only lately to Asia. I doubt that Japan is the primary target of GTA.
I can only recall, exactly two of the DLC is without any commercial interference. That is Toyota TS030 and ISF CCSR.

Back