GT7 + PSVR2 successful! But no other Racing Games on PSVR2 announced?

• Thread starter sheruken
  • 17 comments

Would you like to see more Racing Sims/Games on PSVR2 ?

• Total voters
India
Mumbai, India
Vype-R
PferdeStarke
With most #VR #YouTubers giving #GT7 the highest ranking for games on #PSVR2. Considering there are close to 30 games out already if I'm not mistaken.
Also most of these reviewers in the #VRCommunity aren't racing game fans. Still they chose GT7 in PSVR2 as the best game/experience over games like Horizon CoTM, RE8 VR, The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners 2 (Retribution) and many other PSVR2 titles..

Then why haven't other #RacingGames not yet announced #PSVR2 update?
Games like Assetto Corsa Competizione / DiRT Rally 2 / F1 2022 have official PCVR support, but no love for PSVR2.. I don't get it.. I'm not saying release it now, but there's been no announcements / interest from these devs also..?

What do you guys think?

First I will address your list:

ACC: Forget about it. Unreal Engine uses a rendering method that puts a lot of strain on VR. Even with a top PC ACC is difficult to get decent visuals at a high, stable frame rate. Plus, the console port is not even made by Kunos. We will not see PS VR2 support for ACC. I would put money on that.

DR2.0: The game is four years old. It will not be getting any updates, especially with the new EA WRC title close to launch.

F1 22: Same as above, the game about to be eclipsed by a new release.

I agree that GT7 is a stellar VR implementation and has set a new bar for console VR racing. However, there are not many titles in the pipeline for now. Here are my predictions for a few of them.

F1 23: Already announced with PCVR support but nothing for PS VR2. I doubt we will see this game on console in VR. Rumors say they will change to a new game engine for 24. I see PS VR2 support for that one more of a possibility than F1 23.

WRC 23: We really don't know anything about this game. There are rumors of a game engine switch from EGO to UE or DICE. Although DR1 had PSVR support, remember that DR2.0 was launched without even PCVR support and it was many, many months until it was implemented properly. I see this one as a total unknown. It could go either way but personally I am not optimistic for PS VR2 support at launch.

Test Drive Solar Crown: The KT Engine does not do VR (for now) so I doubt we will see console VR in this title, especially with the game being delayed constantly and after seeing how they botched and abandoned WRC Generations.

AC2: This is expected next year and we know Kunos is not using UE for this, rather an in-house engine. I think chances are good for this one to get PS VR2 support.

GTR Revival: We know very little about this game. Ian Bell lost his Madness Engine to EA and it's one of the best for VR (see PC2 and AMS2). I am sure whatever new engine he comes up with will be similarly easy on VR. So if this game ever comes out, I see a good chance for PS VR2 support.

Of course, a lot depends on the installed user base. No one is going to develop VR racing games for PS VR2 with only a million headsets out there. If PS VR2 sales have a strong year and get to the 4/5 million mark, and hopefully to ten million in the medium term, that could change things. But honestly I don't see much happening this year beyond GT7. I would love to be wrong about this.

Oh, and #NoVRnoBuy.

This is so indepth and very well written.. A very educating and intelligent reply.. I am a console gamer and a mac user since 15 years now. So going back to windows / pc is out of question for me. So PCVR / Sim Racing for me is not possible. With PS5 showing potential for "Sim Racing" with Direct Drive Wheels and botched motion rig support and with PSVR2 getting rave reviews for GT7, I am very hopeful. But as you said, more PSVR2 units need to sell for devs to convince their hardwork for it.

First I will address your list:

ACC: Forget about it. Unreal Engine uses a rendering method that puts a lot of strain on VR. Even with a top PC ACC is difficult to get decent visuals at a high, stable frame rate. Plus, the console port is not even made by Kunos. We will not see PS VR2 support for ACC. I would put money on that.

DR2.0: The game is four years old. It will not be getting any updates, especially with the new EA WRC title close to launch.

F1 22: Same as above, the game about to be eclipsed by a new release.

I agree that GT7 is a stellar VR implementation and has set a new bar for console VR racing. However, there are not many titles in the pipeline for now. Here are my predictions for a few of them.

F1 23: Already announced with PCVR support but nothing for PS VR2. I doubt we will see this game on console in VR. Rumors say they will change to a new game engine for 24. I see PS VR2 support for that one more of a possibility than F1 23.

WRC 23: We really don't know anything about this game. There are rumors of a game engine switch from EGO to UE or DICE. Although DR1 had PSVR support, remember that DR2.0 was launched without even PCVR support and it was many, many months until it was implemented properly. I see this one as a total unknown. It could go either way but personally I am not optimistic for PS VR2 support at launch.

Test Drive Solar Crown: The KT Engine does not do VR (for now) so I doubt we will see console VR in this title, especially with the game being delayed constantly and after seeing how they botched and abandoned WRC Generations.

AC2: This is expected next year and we know Kunos is not using UE for this, rather an in-house engine. I think chances are good for this one to get PS VR2 support.

GTR Revival: We know very little about this game. Ian Bell lost his Madness Engine to EA and it's one of the best for VR (see PC2 and AMS2). I am sure whatever new engine he comes up with will be similarly easy on VR. So if this game ever comes out, I see a good chance for PS VR2 support.

Of course, a lot depends on the installed user base. No one is going to develop VR racing games for PS VR2 with only a million headsets out there. If PS VR2 sales have a strong year and get to the 4/5 million mark, and hopefully to ten million in the medium term, that could change things. But honestly I don't see much happening this year beyond GT7. I would love to be wrong about this.

Oh, and #NoVRnoBuy.

Sure but I wouldn't play them. Playing more than one racing game messes with my intuitive grasp of their physics. Only Gran Turismo really scratches my racing itch.

I am still wondering is GRID Legends for PSVR2 and PCVR possible. The game was made in full VR for Oculus Quest it was horrible but the platform isn't powerhouse so no surprise here. It release very closed to PSVR2 launch. They optimized this for oculus quest so there is probably no problems to run it on much more powerful PS5 with much better visuals + they could release it alongside PCVR support for additional player count.
BUT!
Sales wasn't too good for GRID Legends, and game just had it's last DLC from season pass so I guess they dropped support for it. It's a shame becuase in VR this could be great arcade racer with visuals of PS5 version it could be something like Driveclub VR done again and right. Let's hope codies will surprise us here with the last great VR patch. I would pay for this actually if they release it as payed Add-on (just like DR 1.0). On the other hand... This could be another way to interest even niche market to bump up additional sales for GRID series.

As for another titles @Pfei did wrote this perfectly. There is nothing to add actually. Maybe I wouldn't be so pessimistic about F1 23. I think that Codies did add PCVR for F1 22 just to make "first iteration" of it to improve in F1 23. Adding additional PSVR2 support would be additional marketing tool for botch PSVR2 and F1 23. That would be perfect timing before hype for freshly released headset cools down. I think this could be a last stand for PSVR2 version of F1 game beacuse new engine could be much more resource heavy and PS5 could have problems with supporting VR version of it.
I also hope that WRC 23 will support VR, but this would be first Codies entry in the series, they will probably focus on other parts of the game instead of VR suppor even on PC. So this could end up differently.

I am still wondering is GRID Legends for PSVR2 and PCVR possible. The game was made in full VR for Oculus Quest it was horrible but the platform isn't powerhouse so no surprise here. It release very closed to PSVR2 launch. They optimized this for oculus quest so there is probably no problems to run it on much more powerful PS5 with much better visuals + they could release it alongside PCVR support for additional player count.
BUT!
Sales wasn't too good for GRID Legends, and game just had it's last DLC from season pass so I guess they dropped support for it. It's a shame becuase in VR this could be great arcade racer with visuals of PS5 version it could be something like Driveclub VR done again and right. Let's hope codies will surprise us here with the last great VR patch. I would pay for this actually if they release it as payed Add-on (just like DR 1.0). On the other hand... This could be another way to interest even niche market to bump up additional sales for GRID series.

As for another titles @Pfei did wrote this perfectly. There is nothing to add actually. Maybe I wouldn't be so pessimistic about F1 23. I think that Codies did add PCVR for F1 22 just to make "first iteration" of it to improve in F1 23. Adding additional PSVR2 support would be additional marketing tool for botch PSVR2 and F1 23. That would be perfect timing before hype for freshly released headset cools down. I think this could be a last stand for PSVR2 version of F1 game beacuse new engine could be much more resource heavy and PS5 could have problems with supporting VR version of it.
I also hope that WRC 23 will support VR, but this would be first Codies entry in the series, they will probably focus on other parts of the game instead of VR suppor even on PC. So this could end up differently.
That is exactly my point.. Racing games in VR just feel right. Even DriveClub VR was a superb to experience.. With low resolution and grainy graphics on my PSVR + PS4 base console, it was a brilliant with the wheel. GT Sport was probably the most time I spent in VR (just driving around on different tracks with different cars, setting up a good pace on time trials), same, it was too fuzzy but still had so much fun on it.. GRiD Legends is a game I havent played only because I am hoping it will come to PSVR2. With the wheel and proper PS5 graphics it would be a beast to play.. And it has a lot of content already to experience it in VR, it'd be a proper AAA title for PSVR2. But still besides GT7 (which is more than enough for now, btw) it's surprising more racing games aren't there on PSVR2 yet..

Chicken and egg situation in play, after getting stung with lack of racing games on psvr, I’ll be waiting on more racing titles, especially rally, coming on board before buying psvr2.

Game devs waiting on more psvr2 units being sold before committing to platform, people like me waiting on the games before committing to the hardware. Chicken and egg, someone has to crack first!

That is worrying :(
Not really. Anything coming from Bloomberg regarding sony is a joke. Also 300 thousand units in a month isn't that bad even if the figure is genuine, considering they still haven't launched in many markets yet.. India for egs is a huge market and will amount to atleast 50000 units in the coming months.. It won't sell as much as consoles itself.. VR will stay a niche market. Also devs don't have to rebuild it in VR.. They can just try to port it to VR and see if it works IMHO..

With most #VR #YouTubers giving #GT7 the highest ranking for games on #PSVR2. Considering there are close to 30 games out already if I'm not mistaken.
Also most of these reviewers in the #VRCommunity aren't racing game fans. Still they chose GT7 in PSVR2 as the best game/experience over games like Horizon CoTM, RE8 VR, The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners 2 (Retribution) and many other PSVR2 titles..

Then why haven't other #RacingGames not yet announced #PSVR2 update?
Games like Assetto Corsa Competizione / DiRT Rally 2 / F1 2022 have official PCVR support, but no love for PSVR2.. I don't get it.. I'm not saying release it now, but there's been no announcements / interest from these devs also..?

What do you guys think?
Totally agree I thort F1 23 WOULD OF BEEN as it is on pc Disgraceful

I think the bottom line is, they’re going to have to somehow make the headset waaaay cheaper for VR gaming to really take off. They’re more expensive than the actual PS5 console itself, making the world of VR gaming inaccessible to most - especially younger people.

I actually planned on buying PS VR2 I mean Gran Turismo 7 looks pretty immersive but PS VR2 actually costs 878 dollars.

Its pretty pricey just to play to play 1 game. I would actually use Ps Vr2 for racing games but I need more racing games to justify buying it.

I hope more racing games get supported on Ps vr2 in the future I mean new ones.

Last edited:
I actually planned on buying PS VR2 I mean Gran Turismo 7 looks pretty immersive but PS VR2 actually costs 878 dollars.

Its pretty pricey just to play to play 1 game. I would actually use Ps Vr2 for racing games but I need more racing games to justify buying it.

I hope more racing games get supported on Ps vr2 in the future I mean new ones.
I bought mine just for GT7. And I will say its worth it if you can afford it and you mainly play GT7.

I now started No mans sky also, Despite it got some flack in reviews. I am having a blast with it.

Of course still hoping for more racing, and flying games. but yeah the PSVR"2 game catalog we have at the moment is a liltte lacking

I bought mine just for GT7. And I will say its worth it if you can afford it and you mainly play GT7.

I now started No mans sky also, Despite it got some flack in reviews. I am having a blast with it.

Of course still hoping for more racing, and flying games. but yeah the PSVR"2 game catalog we have at the moment is a liltte lacking

Similarly I bought PSVR1 for my PS4 just for WipEout Omega Collection a couple of years back. I’d say it was worth the cost for experience too, even though it’s quite a short game and only really a remaster of two games I’d already played to death - although I did buy second hand so it was a good chunk cheaper. I really wasn’t prepared for how awesome it was at first though, the feeling of actually being ‘in’ the game, something I’ve dreamt of since being a child! Apart from some boxercise thing I haven’t actually done anything else in VR, and I don’t have a PS5 yet. I’m currently in the process of paying off my credit card before maxing it out again on a PS5, VR2 and Fanatec sim setup, probably in 7 or 8 months from now, after buying a used Logitech G27 setup for my PS2 and 3 and becoming convinced that’s the way forward lol

Back