GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,586 comments
So i had an electrician over to do some work. He’s a friends son and is 21. After everything was done we are chatting in my kitchen within sight of my setup. I notice him checking it out and given where his dad lives(really fun backroads) figured he enjoys driving. At least a little. The vr headsets hanging off the rig and i ask if he wants to try. He says yes and that he hasn’t tried VR yet. At all. He also doesn’t have a console, but played forza when he was younger.

…i set him up with the gr4 Ferarri at Road Atlanta, at night. (Because if your going to race around here its a lot safer at night).

..2+hours later he emerged from that track with a grin plastered across his face. Asking about fanatec and the headset. Hook line and sinker. From an xbox guy who hadn’t gamed in a while and wasn’t planning on it. To ready to order psvr 2, plus fanatec.

Thing is, in order for the experience to be as magical as it was for him he needed gt7 + Psvr2 + Fanatec. 2 are cool, 3 is amazing.

So i had an electrician over to do some work. He’s a friends son and is 21. After everything was done we are chatting in my kitchen within sight of my setup. I notice him checking it out and given where his dad lives(really fun backroads) figured he enjoys driving. At least a little. The vr headsets hanging off the rig and i ask if he wants to try. He says yes and that he hasn’t tried VR yet. At all. He also doesn’t have a console, but played forza when he was younger.

…i set him up with the gr4 Ferarri at Road Atlanta, at night. (Because if your going to race around here its a lot safer at night).

..2+hours later he emerged from that track with a grin plastered across his face. Asking about fanatec and the headset. Hook line and sinker. From an xbox guy who hadn’t gamed in a while and wasn’t planning on it. To ready to order psvr 2, plus fanatec.

Thing is, in order for the experience to be as magical as it was for him he needed gt7 + Psvr2 + Fanatec. 2 are cool, 3 is amazing.
So they owe you commision?

An extra roulette ticket, perhaps?

So they owe you commision?

An extra roulette ticket, perhaps?
Hah. My wife woke up from a nap and i wrapped it up. I guess the point would be that the experience, if done well enough, sells itself and how are they not capitalizing on this.

..also, how has sony not updated the hud for an excellent VR and wheel moving game. I say wheel too because when you look at the prices for sony compatibility, its apparent that there is a big fat kickback going on. (Apparently not enough to get sonys head out of their tucas regarding dd+ lic..but thats another thread =p)

I dunno..its just odd that something so cool feels as if its just hanging on.

Hah. My wife woke up from a nap and i wrapped it up. I guess the point would be that the experience, if done well enough, sells itself and how are they not capitalizing on this.

..also, how has sony not updated the hud for an excellent VR and wheel moving game. I say wheel too because when you look at the prices for sony compatibility, its apparent that there is a big fat kickback going on. (Apparently not enough to get sonys head out of their tucas regarding dd+ lic..but thats another thread =p)

I dunno..its just odd that something so cool feels as if its just hanging on.
Im not sure why they havn't incorporated PSVR2 as part of the GT World Series....seems like a good place to market the headsets and the game

I don't think sony has an issue with other racing titles...I honestly think developers at some of these studios aren't really enthusiastic about wanting to make their games psvr2 compatible.

Quite the opposite, more titles would push more hardware sales.

The problem is that so few of us GT players own the headset that it's not worth the investment of developer resources from PD... They need all the development cycles for more VGT cars and music rally.

Yeah, it's been a couple years. They probably aren't worried about other titles.

I guess it's still early for developers to catch up. I think I read that the game was developed with PSVR2 in mind, from the beginning.

Seriously GT7 is not that good of a game without VR. VR and the FFB do make it something very special. I mean most non-gamers are very interested in my setup especially after I explain the depth perception. But everyone who has been interested wears glasses and I’m not taking a chance getting my lenses scratched and I don’t think they’re interested in getting contacts lol. I’ve actually been contemplating laser vision correction because my contacts bug me like crazy in VR LMAO!

Completely agree.

PSVR 2 has kept me playing GT7 but I wouldn't be playing it without the headset.

I'm worried that Sony wouldn't want us playing other racing titles so they might not allow PS VR2 to be compatible?

I add GTR Revival to the 2 games you mentioned as titles I would love to be able to use PS VR2 with.
Nothing to worry about. Sony will make money if we play any racing game in VR.

Completely agree.

PSVR 2 has kept me playing GT7 but I wouldn't be playing it without the headset.

I'm worried that Sony wouldn't want us playing other racing titles so they might not allow PS VR2 to be compatible?

I add GTR Revival to the 2 games you mentioned as titles I would love to be able to use PS VR2 with.
Blocking Assetto Corsa 2 from using VR would be an unbelievably bad move. If anything, Sony should be asking and helping Kunos with PSVR2 implementation.

Last edited:
Seriously GT7 is not that good of a game without VR. VR and the FFB do make it something very special. I mean most non-gamers are very interested in my setup especially after I explain the depth perception. But everyone who has been interested wears glasses and I’m not taking a chance getting my lenses scratched and I don’t think they’re interested in getting contacts lol. I’ve actually been contemplating laser vision correction because my contacts bug me like crazy in VR LMAO!
Few comapines sell custom psvr2 lenses with power. You can check honsvr

Im not sure why they havn't incorporated PSVR2 as part of the GT World Series....seems like a good place to market the headsets and the game
I've wondered that myself.

Granted, there's no way I'll ever be in the S category again . . . much less have a sniff of a live event . . . but if I were to get to that level I wonder what they would do.

Would I be allowed to compete with a PSVR2, or would I have to use a flat screen?

I suspect the latter; controller users have had to use a wheel for live events.

I think they meant the time PD had to develop and update psvr2 for gt7
Yes, this

I'm well aware I've only had my headset for a year

But, for some reason I'm remembering that Sony or somebody, revealed they had been working on this implementation for YEARS

I've wondered that myself.

Granted, there's no way I'll ever be in the S category again . . . much less have a sniff of a live event . . . but if I were to get to that level I wonder what they would do.

Would I be allowed to compete with a PSVR2, or would I have to use a flat screen?

I suspect the latter; controller users have had to use a wheel for live events.
After thinking about this..yes, yes i would definitely be causing a stink. Its just so different.

Last edited:
I'd imagine because it creates an uneven playing field (circuit lol) for those who can't handle the motion sickness.

Last edited:
give players the options? Or have a VR only entries
Or keep it simple and leave things as they are. Splitting the players creates discussion about one group having an advantage, that's not something a host would want in their competition.

Having a separate VR series is a possibility. Right or wrong, I think it's clear that they aren't interested in doing it. Probably because the VR experience doesn't translate to the audience. In that regard, there's no benefit to in having two different series when the consumer ingests the content the same way.

Or keep it simple and leave things as they are. Splitting the players creates discussion about one group having an advantage, that's not something a host would want in their competition.

Having a separate VR series is a possibility. Right or wrong, I think it's clear that they aren't interested in doing it. Probably because the VR experience doesn't translate to the audience. In that regard, there's no benefit to in having two different series when the consumer ingests the content the same way.
Yea but keeping it simple wont sell VR headsets or get more players interested...players at the world series already buy expensive rigs for flat screens... I mean PD is a business that is obviously works with Sony on higher levels than most developers....again from a marketing standpoint its a good oppertuniuty to increase some revenue

Last edited:
Yea but keeping it simple wont sell VR headsets or get more players interested...players at the world series already buy expensive rigs for flat screens... I mean PD is a business that is obviously works with Sony on higher levels than most developers....again from a marketing standpoint its a good oppertuniuty to increase some revenue
Sure but it isn't PD's job to sell headsets, that's Sony's job. And Sony is doing a terrible job of it lol.

The way PD has handled GT7 PSVR2 post-launch makes me think it isn't interested in VR and that Sony mandated that they support it as a First Party studio.

“They need to keep it simple!”

“We need to see their faces!”

Sounds like people arguing against ice hockey goalies wearing masks in the 1940s or something. Not super relevant points at all.
Yeah, let's hide them all in a closet somewhere. We don't need to see them at all!

I really love to play gt7 in vr and it’s the only way i play but i think it’s ridiculous that almost one year since launch we haven’t got a proper button to recenter driver view without opening the pause menu …..
It's surprising they haven't done ANYTHING in terms of the PS VR 2. I thought we could expect some update to either the unit or the game as it relates to the unit. But, nothing.

Is it possible that not enough other player base has the PS VR2? I would guess that Sony would know exactly how many of us there are 🤷‍♂️

It's surprising they haven't done ANYTHING in terms of the PS VR 2.
I have to agree, but I think your next point hits on why that's the case.
Is it possible that not enough other player base has the PS VR2? I would guess that Sony would know exactly how many of us there are 🤷‍♂️
I think you're onto something here.

A separate PSVR2 league or event wouldn't generate enough buzz to warrant much more than perhaps a non-broadcast niche race during a live event. I don't think you could get a lobby of 10 PSVR2 drivers in one lobby - much less a full grid - during a GTWS online heat. I'd triple-down on that if you're in a GT2 or GT3 league.

Too bad, in my opinion.

I have to agree, but I think your next point hits on why that's the case.

I think you're onto something here.

A separate PSVR2 league or event wouldn't generate enough buzz to warrant much more than perhaps a non-broadcast niche race during a live event. I don't think you could get a lobby of 10 PSVR2 drivers in one lobby - much less a full grid - during a GTWS online heat. I'd triple-down on that if you're in a GT2 or GT3 league.

Too bad, in my opinion.
There are a few VR users that post regularly in the GTWS thread, and not a whole lot of people are active in that thread.

There are more of us than we think. Shame we can't get any hard stats.

There are a few VR users that post regularly in the GTWS thread, and not a whole lot of people are active in that thread.

There are more of us than we think. Shame we can't get any hard stats.
I have a hunch that PD proooooobably has access to the data of what peripheral inputs people are using. But like others have mentioned, there's plenty of guys that are quick enough in PSVR2 that they could have a 16 person exhibition race at a live event.

I have a hunch that PD proooooobably has access to the data of what peripheral inputs people are using. But like others have mentioned, there's plenty of guys that are quick enough in PSVR2 that they could have a 16 person exhibition race at a live event.
Yep.
Personally, i’d have the vr headsets attached to a racing helmet with a cool old school palate. Really sell the realism, the feeling of climbing into the game, instead of just playing it from afar.

Latest Posts

Back