GT7 unbearable on pad

Germany
Germany
I’m a pad player and im using the MotionSense Control (Six Axis) as steering settings on the pad for now 4 years.
It is sensational to use since you can steer your pad like a wheel and i have been very much competitive with that in sports mode and in league races and since im just a casual player i never planned really to get a wheel if i can do similar things on the controler already.

However i have to admit that in GT7 it is very much a pain in the a** to drive with that and pad in general.
Due to GT7 Physics the car became really sensitive in different aspects (Braking, Cornering etc.)

Braking/Throttle: Although the force feedback on the pad while braking and on throttle is decent there is a major issue for pad player using the Motion Sense Control like me. Since you aren’t locked in position (your a holding the pad in front of you), unlike in a wheel or the lock range on the steering stick on pad, you are inevitable moving your pad around resulting in small steering inputs. This is generally a major problem with the new sensitive physics of GT7. Regarding Braking the game will recognise the steering input while you are under braking resulting due to the sensitive physics in your car spinning out under braking especially in heavy ones.
Similar happens on the throttle.
You can theoretically fix this by lowering the sensitivity of the pad or using Assists however this results in the car getting more understeer resulting in slower pace and even still not fixing all issues mentioned above everytime

Cornering:
Another aspect why the pad is failing on people (at least for me) since the pad cant send out force feedback that you are losing the car (rear stepping out). Sure the controller vibrates to simulate that but you cant argue that having force feedback is much easier to cope with the physics on the car and on the pad in some cases doesn’t give you feedback until just before you actually losing the car and spinning out as a result. Especially with the new sensitive physics it is very much crucial to get feedback.
Another factor as mentioned before is that the game recognised minimal steering inputs of the motion sense control. Combined with the physics of GT7 you now need to be extremely smooth on the pad to avoid losing the car which is a challenge itself to succeed. As previously said you cant reduce this issue by lowering the controller sensitivity ot with assists but it results in you getting slower and it will not fix all problems

Racing:
This is the point where it turns sour for me with the pad. All points before where just experiences driving alone and it it already challenging on the pad to drive alone but racing against others is very much another level. Although on smaller speed scale it is sometimes not really difficult to race however top class race car such as gr.1 or gr.x (sf19, x2019) where cars are cornering so fast it’s impossible to avoid spinning out during wheel to wheel racing or following another car since the complications of missing/delayed cornering feedback, sensitive physics and the pad complications itself (mentioned above).

At this stage its very much unbearable experience on the pad on GT7, at least for me. And i have spoken to other drivers who reported the same. Especially when racing others there are people turning assists just on for the online races since its difficult on the pad to race without. I doubt with more mileage and experience it gets any better. The new physics really nerfed the ability and joy on the pad and i have never been so close to bin it and switch to a wheel which im not keen on

I have had zero issues using my DS that came with my PS5. In fact, I rather loved the experience and I am on Menu 39 of 39. All but once license test complete. Some Circuit experience complete, and one mission complete. Vast majority has been gold winning. I know I enjoy wheels more, but I don't have a new one that is supported.

I'm finding it fine for the most part on controller using the right stick for accelerate and left stick steering. You have to be much smoother than on GTS. There have been times in single player I've used assists because I can't be bothered to be smooth and assists are used in real life so I don't feel too guilty. Acceleration is linear now compared to GTS so that can cause issues getting used to. But after a few thousand miles I feel I can push hard in any car or be smooth when needed.

I agreed with some streamers at release it maybe needed a handling tweek for wheel users as they were spinning out a lot. Maybe you have a similar issue because of the way you use a controller.

How many miles have you completed?

I've played with both a wheel/pedals and a DS controller and in my opinion they've done one of the best jobs I've ever seen in a driving game at bridging the gap between the two control types. Aside from the FR/RR cars that lose rear wheel traction way too unrealistically (in higher bhp cars at least) driving with the pad has been great in this game for me. Still prefer wheel (and I've got an older G29 so it's not like I'm using top-end gear) but the two seem much closer to parity for me.

I have had zero issues using my DS that came with my PS5

I'm finding it fine for the most part on controller using the right stick for accelerate and left stick steering.

I've played with both a wheel/pedals and a DS controller and in my opinion they've done one of the best jobs I've ever seen in a driving game at bridging the gap between the two control types.
I think most of you confuse the comparison between wheel and pad, and the method OP uses to steer : motion steering VS stick or buttons steering (on the pad)

Last edited:
I think most of you confuse the comparison between wheel and pad, and the method OP uses to steer : motion steering VS stick or buttons steering (on the pad)
Ah, read the post and the motion comment, but I thought it ended up being stick use. I never use the motion, so I guess I can't comment on that. My bad.

I have PS5, use controller and the game controls amazingly.
Use joystick for steering and shoulder buttons for brake/ accelerate.

Last edited:
The more I play, the more I get used to it, but it definitely is a lot more sensitive than before. I use joysticks for steering and triggers for acceleration/braking since I find it more relaxing when casual gaming than motion control does. The game has been out for about a week only, so I guess the pad community will eventually find solutions or workarounds for these types of problems. If not, patches might be added in the future to ease the difficulty of using a controller, but it seems like everyone, including wheel users, isn't totally comfortable with the new physics yet. I found the described issues to be exactly the same for me, using joysticks. Hoping PD notices this, but I doubt a big change in that direction is soon to come. Totally feel you on the controller sensitivity thing; reducing it creates a lot of oversteer... I wonder if controller sensitivity at 7 is still the way to go for ds4 users though. It is what I use and always did, but it can get quite twitchy at times. Maybe reducing it and really working on my racing line would improve my gt7 times?... We still have a lot to learn about this game, so I guess time will help greatly solving those issues

What driving view do you use? After demolishing the analogue sticks on most PS controllers, then destroying the directional pads I started using the DS4 controller motion steering in GT sport, on GT7 I use the cockpit camera so that I had some basic rough visual guide to what the steering wheel would be doing.
Maybe it could help you.

@KingXxNoSkill
Have you tried adjusting gamepad sensitivity? This can be found under options on pre-race screens.

The game does have some strange physics quirks, but I think we should blame the physics and not the motion sensor controls.

I have both wheel and pad, it's not the wheel which really helps me better my times, but the pedals.
You have smoother input with wheel but what really makes a difference for me is the throttle, too hard to use it with R2.

Great. Now I'm going to have to try motion steering. Sounds interesting. I have one of those bright blue Logitech Turismo wheels from the PS3 era, but have been using a controller since then due to limited space and the obvious incompatibility. I don't find it too bad in GT7 but it is a bit different (almost as if I'm forced to drive slower than I want to) and I'm not too keen to jump online and be the idiot that took you out until I come to grips with it, or I cave and buy a new wheel and folding cockpit. Probably the latter lol.

Also, I'm finding the "roof top" view to actually work well with a controller, weird or not.

@KingXxNoSkill
Have you tried adjusting gamepad sensitivity? This can be found under options on pre-race screens.

The game does have some strange physics quirks, but I think we should blame the physics and not the motion sensor controls.
Yes i did. It reduces all mentioned issues but you sacrifice speed with it due to more understeer and therefore you are slower.
Im used to run with the least sensitivity on GTS since i like understeer but ever since turning it up i gained like around 0.5s a normal lap with higher sensitivity because you have less understeer, logically. Same in GT7 however less consistent with high sensitivity but slow with low

I have a wheel, but I can't leave it set up all the time so if I want to just jump on for 20-30 minutes, I resort to the controller. I use the D-pad too and the X and Square for acceleration and brake. I find GT7 works just fine on a controller, however, I'm not really a serious sim racer by any means.

Using PS4/DS4 with D-pad and X/SQ (been doing that since GT1) and it was definitely different at first, but after playing a few hours this week I'm starting to really like the new physics, seems a bit more realistic that previous titles. I will agree that the rear end gets a bit too loose at times, but on GT3 and above I've been running TC1 and they've been fine with some throttle control. Definitely and adjustment, but also definitely not ubearable.

I use motion tilt steering on dualsense and it works pretty fine for me. I have been using it from day 1, GT7 was released, and with a lot of practice I am getting golds (on difficult level) so far on all races I attempted. And I am far away from pro, I am just a casual from time to time player.

If you are struggling with using Tilt Steering with the controller, use the D-PAD.
I cant use the tilt steering method as I keep moving the controller depending on whats happening.
When I am relaxed I tend to keep the controller horizontal like one would picture a controller being held.
But at times, normally when I am either chasing someone down, just started playing or just want to focus, I hold the controller vertically.
Sometimes its a mix between the two.

Yes, my playstyle is freakish to say the least.

Maybe you guys and gals should look to the future and put your in budget a GT franchise wheel set up. I find my T-GT set up is making me a better sim driver.

Last edited:
I’m a pad player and im using the MotionSense Control (Six Axis) as steering settings on the pad for now 4 years.
It is sensational to use since you can steer your pad like a wheel and i have been very much competitive with that in sports mode and in league races and since im just a casual player i never planned really to get a wheel if i can do similar things on the controler already.

However i have to admit that in GT7 it is very much a pain in the a** to drive with that and pad in general.
Due to GT7 Physics the car became really sensitive in different aspects (Braking, Cornering etc.)

Braking/Throttle: Although the force feedback on the pad while braking and on throttle is decent there is a major issue for pad player using the Motion Sense Control like me. Since you aren’t locked in position (your a holding the pad in front of you), unlike in a wheel or the lock range on the steering stick on pad, you are inevitable moving your pad around resulting in small steering inputs. This is generally a major problem with the new sensitive physics of GT7. Regarding Braking the game will recognise the steering input while you are under braking resulting due to the sensitive physics in your car spinning out under braking especially in heavy ones.
Similar happens on the throttle.
You can theoretically fix this by lowering the sensitivity of the pad or using Assists however this results in the car getting more understeer resulting in slower pace and even still not fixing all issues mentioned above everytime

Cornering:
Another aspect why the pad is failing on people (at least for me) since the pad cant send out force feedback that you are losing the car (rear stepping out). Sure the controller vibrates to simulate that but you cant argue that having force feedback is much easier to cope with the physics on the car and on the pad in some cases doesn’t give you feedback until just before you actually losing the car and spinning out as a result. Especially with the new sensitive physics it is very much crucial to get feedback.
Another factor as mentioned before is that the game recognised minimal steering inputs of the motion sense control. Combined with the physics of GT7 you now need to be extremely smooth on the pad to avoid losing the car which is a challenge itself to succeed. As previously said you cant reduce this issue by lowering the controller sensitivity ot with assists but it results in you getting slower and it will not fix all problems

Racing:
This is the point where it turns sour for me with the pad. All points before where just experiences driving alone and it it already challenging on the pad to drive alone but racing against others is very much another level. Although on smaller speed scale it is sometimes not really difficult to race however top class race car such as gr.1 or gr.x (sf19, x2019) where cars are cornering so fast it’s impossible to avoid spinning out during wheel to wheel racing or following another car since the complications of missing/delayed cornering feedback, sensitive physics and the pad complications itself (mentioned above).

At this stage its very much unbearable experience on the pad on GT7, at least for me. And i have spoken to other drivers who reported the same. Especially when racing others there are people turning assists just on for the online races since its difficult on the pad to race without. I doubt with more mileage and experience it gets any better. The new physics really nerfed the ability and joy on the pad and i have never been so close to bin it and switch to a wheel which im not keen on
Some of the fastest people in the world use the controller, so I'm thinking the issues lies with practice and not the pad.

In the Nurburging NSXR thread the fastest time is on pad at the moment, and he's a top split player. The pad is easier to get alien times with.. a steering wheel is more difficult.

The pad is easier to get alien times with.. a steering wheel is more difficult.
Although it is true that it takes longer and may be overall harder to get used to a steering controller, the first part about posting top-level marks being easier on the gamepad is BS.

And after 1.13, I don't think any pad user complains about RWD behaviour and the alleged "lack" of grip.

Last edited:
Although it is true that it takes longer and may be overall harder to get used to a steering controller, the first part about posting top-level marks being easier on the gamepad is BS.

And after 1.13, I don't think any pad user complains about RWD behaviour and the alleged "lack" of grip.
Third person view with controller is the easiest way to get perfected laps. You don't have to worry about losing control when you have lock-to-lock steering instantly, something that's impossible on wheel.

I'm not too concerned with what you think though... facts are on my side.

Maybe you guys and gals should look to the future and put your in budget a GT franchise wheel set up. I find my T-GT set up is making me a better sim driver.
It is not only a budget issue, to use a wheel you need a different setup than a controller (not a couch in front of your TV in your living room), or not only the budget to buy the wheel. You need a dedicated space, spare screen (4K if possible) and maybe a spare console (if you use it as a media center and other people in the house use it casually on the couch with a pad).

It is not only a budget issue, to use a wheel you need a different setup than a controller (not a couch in front of your TV in your living room), or not only the budget to buy the wheel. You need a dedicated space, spare screen (4K if possible) and maybe a spare console (if you use it as a media center and other people in the house use it casually on the couch with a pad).
Well, a PC monitor from let's say 150 euros for yourself.. they've never been cheaper in such good quality... You could also build your own rig for this. With a little imagination... some technical understanding, you can also construct the rig in such a way that it can be pushed together in a very small space. Then it needs a space of maybe 75 x 100 cm if you don't use it. So it can be accommodated in most living situations.. BUT not everyone can build something like this... not everyone can/wants to spend the money for it... and not in every household something like this is made by the "roommates" (mostly wives/husbands/partners ) accepted.

Some of the fastest people in the world use the controller, so I'm thinking the issues lies with practice and not the pad.

In the Nurburging NSXR thread the fastest time is on pad at the moment, and he's a top split player. The pad is easier to get alien times with.. a steering wheel is more difficult.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you, I've got more time on the game than most world champions at 4-5k hour on GT6 and Sport both and I'm nowhere near close on GT7. If it was GT Sport I would agree with you 1000%, but I think it takes double the amount of time/practice than someone on a wheel to hit the same times (Top split, on the limit) on GT7 because of the steering filtering. All previous GT's it wasn't an issue

Which brings me to point 2, if the pad went lock to lock instantaneous on GT7 I would be murdering race car lobbies, and reverse entry drifts. But I'm not, even on 10 sensitivity the car doesn't have instant lock-lock and the biggest indicator of that is extended sweepers/hairpins and the massive understeer during late phase cornering (CE on Nurb in the bowl is what comes to mind). Once the car starts turning one way it takes 1-3 whole seconds to reach the max steering VS wheel where you're able to just cook the wheel left or right and hold the angle with your hand.

In laymen's, you get the point of maximum steering lock faster by yanking the wheel like real life VS waiting for the steering sensitivity/filtering to finally hit full turn-in because of how they designed the steering for controllers.

Best way to test is to find someone with video editing equipment and a timer for scientific purposes, otherwise we'll be playing experiment roulette until we figure it out.

Guys, I do not have so many trophies or playing hours as previous post says, but I have played on controller with stick and sensitivity to maximum and decided to give a chance to tilt motion steering.
I guess other people like me expect to drive like pros and win gold in first races, and so expect that if you try tilt steering it will win you race on first attempt. But I also read that people who got steering wheels also needed time to actually improve driving and lap times. I have therefore decided to give proper chance to tilt steering and after many laps I got better times then when I was steering with a stick on controller...
"i am just saying..."

For any controller users....

A method I started using on controller (DS4) since late last year....I push the analogue stick forwards (I use standard left stick steering) with my thumb as I steer.
Rather than resting my thumb on the top if you know what I mean.
I find the steering to be much more precise and you are able to make much finer and smoother inputs this way.
(I have sensitivity on 10)

It may take a bit of getting used to, and obviously it comes with the risk of wearing out your analogue sticks (stick drift) sooner, but I can't go back to normal now.

It's actually a method I started using years and years ago on that PS2 Isle of Man TT game as I discovered I could control the bike better.

Give it a try.

My first sim rig was a T300 mounted on a DIY made PVC fold away and a Laszy Boy recliner as my racing seat. I could set it up in any room that had a TV or Computer monitor. all I needEd to do is unfold it inless then a minute I was ready to race. I wore out two pedal setups playing DriveClub.

Attachments

• 845869D2-A90E-467F-8E34-2A8F1748D878.jpeg
    845869D2-A90E-467F-8E34-2A8F1748D878.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 19
  • BAFD9C93-4882-4161-9901-5C8ECC079DBE.jpeg
    BAFD9C93-4882-4161-9901-5C8ECC079DBE.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 17
  • E43409DE-AA0D-4D38-B0A1-154F8285EF57.jpeg
    E43409DE-AA0D-4D38-B0A1-154F8285EF57.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 0DF4B302-809B-4419-8F6B-536DBC461693.jpeg
    0DF4B302-809B-4419-8F6B-536DBC461693.jpeg