GT7's Non Fixable Engine Issues (UPDATE: NEW ENGINE BUT STILL BROKEN)

• Thread starter Nachowskip
  • 51 comments
Spain
Madrid
Hello everyone.

So last year I was finally able to buy my dream car in the game, a 1992 Honda NSX-R NA1 in Championship White. It had 82.500 km, evething in perfect condition. After using it for a couple thousand kilometers and following the maintenance meticulously (extremely important for me) I started noticing that something was a bit off. The car seemed to have lost Its punch from one day to another. At first I thought it was just me, a thing of my mind, and nothing was wrong, since I followed the correct schedules and everything was in "Excellent" condition according to GT Auto (of course since It's a game you can't take a in depht look at the engine and really see what's going on so). However time passed by and the issue was still there. Asked my friends for help at first, and one of them tried the car and yes, turns out that It wasn't a paranoia, the car lost power.
And so decided to do an engine tune up (disassembling the whole engine, replace and repair the broken parts and put it back toghether, according to the game). At first it seemed to be repaired, finally getting back Its punch... But the next day it lost power, AGAIN. And so after trying a tune up for 4 times, nothing changes. Also compared it to a contemporary NA, similarly powered and similarly heavy car (not too similar but just to get an idea of how it should be), and there was quite a difference at feel, specifically on acceleration. Only thing that I could repair was the suspension, that got worn because of the mileage, however as with the engine it didn't even advised me on GT Auto. My friend also got this kind of problems with two of his cars, a Megane RS Trophy and a Clio RS.

So that's it. Hope you guys can help me with this in case you also suffered from this problem or you know any way of repairing the engine without replacing the whole unit, cause (even with money or spending it not being a particular issue) I don't really want that much to spend 100k-200k on a new engine, neither getting a new car. If we are supossed to be able to repair our car´s engine with the tune up, why isn't it working? And why aren't we getting adviced of our vehicle's damage, more so being a game? There's something off with all this... Plus on a 90's Honda, to top things. :lol:;)

Thanks in advance, really appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Sorry mate but is really so " dramatic " to spend 100- 200k or what needed to buy a new car ?

Of course i can't help you to solve the problem you facing but we are talking about 30 min.in one griding race as about credits you need to change the engine or whatever.
Its like going out of the swimming pool and stay on the top of the ladder till the last drop of the water from your body drop back at the pool, in order to save ....

Sorry mate but is really so " dramatic " to spend 100- 200k or what needed to buy a new car ?

Of course i can't help you to solve the problem you facing but we are talking about 30 min.in one griding race as about credits you need to change the engine or whatever.
Its like going out of the swimming pool and stay on the top of the ladder till the last drop of the water from your body drop back at the pool, in order to save ...
No, I wasn't meaning that. Doing a 30 min race is not a problem, neither It is "dramatic", and money isn't that much of an issue either (appart from currently not having much time left to play). I just wanna know what's wrong with GT Auto, why it doesn't work on these cases, not only with the Tune Up option but also why it doesn't detect any issues. I saw a thread about a player losing power on his 787B and then repaired it 100% with the Tune Up option, but seems like no other people have this issue that me and my friend have, reason why I decided to make this thread, since I can't find anything online about it, and see if any of you can help us on this or have also suffered this problem. I edited the original post to make things more clear, didn't expressed well mb.

It's not just for these cars, more like this is a big problem with the game's system. Plus changing the engine of each of our cars at a certain km milestone, doesn't matter the money you have, isn't very attractive on an user's point of view at least imo. However if it turns out to not have any solution I won't have any problem on changing the engine, but first I wanna ask you guys to see if you have suffered this or if you know of any sollutions appart from that one.

What?

Last edited:
How many miles/km did YOU put on the car? The mileage when you bought it used is more or less meaningless in the game. How many times did you change your oil or do engine overhauls? If you do more than 4 engine overhauls it won’t have any effect and your car will eventually lose permanent horsepower, but I mean it’s not a whole lot of power, like a dozen hp tops. Are you sure there wasn’t an update that changed the behavior of your car and you’re attributing this to some hidden mechanism for car wear that may not exist?

How many miles/km did YOU put on the car? The mileage when you bought it used is more or less meaningless in the game. How many times did you change your oil or do engine overhauls? If you do more than 4 engine overhauls it won’t have any effect and your car will eventually lose permanent horsepower, but I mean it’s not a whole lot of power, like a dozen hp tops. Are you sure there wasn’t an update that changed the behavior of your car and you’re attributing this to some hidden mechanism for car wear that may not exist?
Things started at arround 85k ish km, now It's at 87.324 km. I changed the oil 3 times or so, two were adviced by the game, third was me after doing some tests when these problems started happening. Engine overhauls were 3 or 4, but definitely not more than 4. And no, there wasn't any update that could change the car's behaviour back when it started, and also a month ago I tried the same car by redoing the IA15 (I think that was the name?) test, and there's quite a difference among that car and mine. About how much power, as I said I don't know cause It doesn't even show me any loss, still is at 288 HP/PS, and everything in excellent condition, however you do feel that power missing.

Last edited:
You're talking about permanent loss of performance, which is a thing in GT7 (and GT5/6 too!), but I think it might be something else because the distance you currently have in your NSX is way too low to have any noticeable impact on peformance.

There are two things that can affect HP in GT7: oil/engine condition and engine mileage.

Oil and engine condition are pretty simple: they have 4 levels (Excellent, Normal, Worn and Bad) and they're just a temporary loss of performance. As soon as you change oil or do an engine overhaul everything is back to 100%.

The second thing is engine wear. I don't know the exact numbers because they vary from car to car, but when you drive for more than ~7000km the engine will start losing HP. No matter how good the oil/engine condition is, this loss is permanent.

Following the maintenance meticulously like you did seems to have no impact. I think it's a pretty simple algorithm: if you hit 7000km, engine degradation happens, regardless if you drove with Excellent oil for 10km or with Bad oil for 6999km.

You bought the NSX with 82.500km and the car started acting different at 85000km, right? That's why I said it might be something else that is affecting your car because 2500km is not enough to see any drop in performance.

There's also been reports that permanent engine wear will happen regardless of the mileage you put on the car after 4 engine rebuilds are done to it.

There's also been reports that permanent engine wear will happen regardless of the mileage you put on the car after 4 engine rebuilds are done to it.
Yeah, I forgot about that!

Keeping engine and oil in good conditions may not expand that threshold for HP loss, but it seems that doing more than 4 engines rebuilds can reduce that distance. I saw a post on reddit not too long ago about this. The guy was doing engine overhaul on his AMG GT R everytime oil went to Normal condition (which is extremely unnecessary...). Original AMG GT R HP is 585 and he had a pic showing 579HP with less than 1500km driven.

This got me curious now. It's a bug or not?

Keeping engine and oil in good conditions may not expand that threshold for HP loss, but it seems that doing more than 4 engines rebuilds can reduce that distance. I saw a post on reddit not too long ago about this. The guy was doing engine overhaul on his AMG GT R everytime oil went to Normal condition (which is extremely unnecessary...). Original AMG GT R HP is 585 and he had a pic showing 579HP with less than 1500km driven.

Maybe its intentional to punish the OCD types?

I have driven a '97 Supra GT500 for 16.000 km now from new (got it when I pre-ordered). I always change oil when it goes from excellent to normal. It has required 1 engine rebuild so far, at 12 or 13 thousand km. It has lost 1 hp that I cannot recover (492 bhp original, now 491).

You're talking about permanent loss of performance, which is a thing in GT7 (and GT5/6 too!), but I think it might be something else because the distance you currently have in your NSX is way too low to have any noticeable impact on peformance.

There are two things that can affect HP in GT7: oil/engine condition and engine mileage.

Oil and engine condition are pretty simple: they have 4 levels (Excellent, Normal, Worn and Bad) and they're just a temporary loss of performance. As soon as you change oil or do an engine overhaul everything is back to 100%.

The second thing is engine wear. I don't know the exact numbers because they vary from car to car, but when you drive for more than ~7000km the engine will start losing HP. No matter how good the oil/engine condition is, this loss is permanent.

Following the maintenance meticulously like you did seems to have no impact. I think it's a pretty simple algorithm: if you hit 7000km, engine degradation happens, regardless if you drove with Excellent oil for 10km or with Bad oil for 6999km.

You bought the NSX with 82.500km and the car started acting different at 85000km, right? That's why I said it might be something else that is affecting your car because 2500km is not enough to see any drop in performance.
Exactly. Precisely that's the reason why I don't understand anything, cause the mileage is too low for such a dramatic loss. Weirdest thing of all, It doesn't even tell me about a power loss, neither in the case of my friend's cars (Megane and Clio RS, both bought brand new, but with tunes) but the loss exist. Also, crazy that cars on the game only last 7000 km regardless of the condition. Extremely low for any car, and not very realistic.

Also, have to mention, I'm quite scared now of my RX-8 Spirit R, has arround 2500 km, done oil changes as it required and everything is shown in excellent condition. At least with this one it tells when something is wrong, but I fear that It's gonna happen the same as on the NSX-R with the game not telling any power loss. For now, at least, It feels good.

I wonder if It's a bug, but if that's the case they should get it solved asap.
Have you gone to the Tuning Shop and bought a new engine and bolted the same new parts too it yet?
Not yet. Plus engine is stock (well, the car in general is stock, except for the sports brake pads and "sports" slotted discs, but all on the stock brake system), so even weirder to see the loss.
I have driven a '97 Supra GT500 for 16.000 km now from new (got it when I pre-ordered). I always change oil when it goes from excellent to normal. It has required 1 engine rebuild so far, at 12 or 13 thousand km. It has lost 1 hp that I cannot recover (492 bhp original, now 491).
You got lucky on that. Do you feel some difference in performance? Just curious. I also did the same maintenance as you, changing the oil everytime it went to normal, but didn't worked.

Why not just slap a racing air filter in it and call it a day?
Could work. However I'm still concerned on why no damage is shown and the power is still at 288 HP. So I wonder if It'll do a change in power or at least restore it. I guess I'll probably have to get a new engine to restore everything and try if it shows wear.:ouch:

Last edited:
UPDATE:

So I replaced the engine. First it felt ok, however after a few metres It started feeling wrong, AGAIN. Really doubt they would take the time to just change the whole performance of one single model in an update and not communicate it, since It wouldn't make sense unless there's something wrong with it, which of course there wasn't. Plus the rest of my cars feel perfectly finein comparison to my NSX-R. So, basically, I honestly don't understand anything, I guess the car must be bugged or something. :(:banghead:

However I'm not gonna give up on it, cause if it is a bug, perhaps It's a good ocassion to report it. Would like to know your oppinion guys.

I think the best way to verify this is doing several speed tests on Route X, including in lobbies with another player who happens to have a stock car to pit it against your car.

Gotta be methodical about this and not go by feeling.

Now in getting concerned about my Swapped Samba Bus with about 3k miles on the clock from AFK grinding the Daytona oval..

Last edited:
I think the best way to verify this is doing several speed tests on Route X, including in lobbies with another player who happens to have a stock car to pit it against your car.

Gotta be methodical about this and not go by feeling.

Now in getting concerned about my Swapped Samba Bus with about 3k miles on the clock from AFK grinding the Daytona oval..
I did some speed tests on Route X some time ago, It still reaches the correct speed (arround 291 kmh) but it takes more time than usual to do it. I also let a friend to try it via shareplay and he also felt that something is wrong on it. However that idea of comparing it with another player's car sounds interesting. A friend has (or at least had) the same car in stock spec as well, have to ask him about if he still has it though.

About your VW, if I was you I would also be concerned lol, but I doubt you have that problem yet, don't think this affects all vehicles. I have several cars that already made or nearly made that distance and don't have any problems, and always doing spirited driving. It seems to be pretty random for some odd reason. Also, weirdly I got these problems on my NSX-R after driving at lobbies for almost all the time, never grinded with it.

Sounds like the problem is not the engine but something else. There shouldn't be any power loss if the car still shows the same hp. How exactly does this problem occur? Are you 100% sure there even is a problem? Can you provide a video so we can analyze?

Last edited:
Sounds like the problem is not the engine but something else. There shouldn't be any power loss if the car still shows the same hp. How exactly does this problem occur? Are you 100% sure there even is a problem? Can you provide a video so we can analyze?
To be honest, if It's not the engine I don't know what It has to be. And yes I'm 100% sure there's a problem cause having this change on performance doesn't seem normal at all. It lost Its nerve, literally seems like a different car that it was. About it saying the same Hp, that's what has me so confused, doesn't make sense but It seems like if It's a bug or something similar. One of my friends has these problems as well, his car literally got a terminated engine and doesn't even show it, says Excellent on everything, and I saw how that car broke down that bad on Shareplay, in a race btw. I'll provide a comparison video with another stock NA1 asap, whenever my friend can let me drive it to do so.
Sounds logical, but this is GTPlanet so nothing can be logical when talking about GT7.
Precisely, logic is non existent in GT7 lmao.

To be honest, if It's not the engine I don't know what It has to be. And yes I'm 100% sure there's a problem cause having this change on performance doesn't seem normal at all. It lost Its nerve, literally seems like a different car that it was. About it saying the same Hp, that's what has me so confused, doesn't make sense but It seems like if It's a bug or something similar. One of my friends has these problems as well, his car literally got a terminated engine and doesn't even show it, says Excellent on everything, and I saw how that car broke down that bad on Shareplay, in a race btw. I'll provide a comparison video with another stock NA1 asap, whenever my friend can let me drive it to do so.
I'm confused because you said the car still reaches the correct top speed which suggests there's nothing wrong with the engine. Is the car completely stock? Widebody, aero, ballast, gearing...etc can affect acceleration negatively.

Also, you can't break a car or it's engine permanently during a race.

Last edited:
I'm confused because you said the car still reaches the correct top speed which suggests there's nothing wrong with the engine. Is the car completely stock? Widebody, aero, ballast, gearing...etc can affect acceleration negatively.

Also, you can't break a car or it's engine permanently during a race.
It still reaches the correct top speed but takes more time to reach it than before. The car is much more "lazy" than before let's say, like if It didn't have energy at all, like if it was an automatic NSX instead of a NSX-R. And yes, It's completely stock, except for sports brakepads and sports slotted discs but installed on the OEM braking system.

You can break it permanently, this same friend blew up his R32's engine and had to rebuild it after the race with engine status being at "Bad". Started loosing oil pressure and blew up after a few seconds, not even a minute.
Is your controller reporting full throttle when you press it all the way?
I tested it when these problems started and It does. As I stated before, the rest of my cars feel completely fine. It's only the NA1 which I have problems with.

Might be worth looking at the acceleration stats in the tuning window, just after you've done an engine overhaul and then compare to when the car goes "bad".

A week or so ago I selected a BMW I got from the used car dealer. I swear I'd only driven it for a few hundred miles and when I checked, the oil, engine, and body were all at normal or worn. Weird.

I’m still having trouble believing that a problem even exists based solely on how you and your friend feel. Perhaps try a drag race to see what your time is and I’ll do the same with my NSX when I get home, I don’t think I’ve ever driven mine so it should be mint. Perhaps to make it even more accurate we’ll try to shift at the same RPM, I don’t know the RPM range off the top of my head, but it’s more important that we try to do exactly the same thing rather than trying to drive as fast as possible.

Back