GT7's Non Fixable Engine Issues (UPDATE: NEW ENGINE BUT STILL BROKEN)

• Thread starter Nachowskip
  • 51 comments
Perhaps to make it even more accurate we’ll try to shift at the same RPM, I don’t know the RPM range off the top of my head, but it’s more important that we try to do exactly the same thing rather than trying to drive as fast as possible.
Just turn on auto gear shifts.

Might be worth looking at the acceleration stats in the tuning window, just after you've done an engine overhaul and then compare to when the car goes "bad".

A week or so ago I selected a BMW I got from the used car dealer. I swear I'd only driven it for a few hundred miles and when I checked, the oil, engine, and body were all at normal or worn. Weird.
Problem is, The stats don't change. Doesn't matter how much you drive it and how you drive it. After the first or second oil change nothing has changed even though I drove several thousand kilometres and normally I would have to change the oil after several laps of hard driving at the Nordsleife or hundreds of kilometers done at full throttle non stop at Route X. None of those worked. Think that the body wasn't alright from the start eiter, cause after doing a refresh it all felt really different, until the new handling update that just resetted it to how it was before I did said refresh. Also, about your Bimmer, strange, doesn't make sense to have such problems after such a short distance (well depending at how many kms it had when you bought it) but at least you got it adviced on GT Auto.

I’m still having trouble believing that a problem even exists based solely on how you and your friend feel. Perhaps try a drag race to see what your time is and I’ll do the same with my NSX when I get home, I don’t think I’ve ever driven mine so it should be mint. Perhaps to make it even more accurate we’ll try to shift at the same RPM, I don’t know the RPM range off the top of my head, but it’s more important that we try to do exactly the same thing rather than trying to drive as fast as possible.
Sounds like a good idea. We can do a test, first drag race changing at 8.500 RPM at full throttle. Then simulating to overtake a car in a two way road (Tokyo Expressway could work) to see the reprise (Is this the correct word for It?). And then see how much it takes the car to regain speed doing 3 different runs first at 3rd, then at 4th and finally at 5th gear. What do you think of it?

Standing start on SSRX from 1st, TC1, auto shift, time to 1st sector, 2nd sector, and so on until the corner comes.
This is a much better idea, I forgot all of the dynamics of drag racing so that’s not a great idea since it could vary too much due to my reaction time, throttle control, shifting, etc. I did a time trial at SSRX but the rolling start meant I had to creep up to the start line so I’m thinking a custom race with grid start in 1st, Automatic transmission, and TCS 1 like you said would probably eliminate the most variables.

Is there an option to disable wind and track temp variances in custom races?
I don't know, but we wish to have that option for this one. Btw, that track temp actually air temp but yes air temp do affect track temp even GT7 don't had a lot of support for track temp than just air temp.

Last edited:
So I did a custom race in the 92 NSX I’ve never driven before today: 1 lap at SSRX with everything set to default except only 2 cars, grid start, starting in 1st place, and the opponent car was a car from garage that I knew had no chance of beating me, an Abarth was what I picked, and I used the Auto transmission and TCS 1, full throttle the whole way, and I recorded all my split times although mainly the first two are useful.

What do you think of it?
Just do this:
Standing start on SSRX from 1st, TC1, auto shift, time to 1st sector, 2nd sector, and so on until the corner comes.
If there is anything wrong with your car, this is the most precise way to find it
SSRX, custom race, 2 cars, standing start from 1st.
Automatic transmission, TC set to whatever has the best acceleration on full throttle and taking notes of your times.
Already press full throttle before the race starts to eliminate the small difference in revving up time that may appear otherwise.
Repeat this with your car a few times with changing wind directions, because it is unlikely to have the same condition on your next attempt with the newly purchased car with 100% identical setup to compare with.
Try to find the most identical wind conditions for both cars and then actually compare times.

You dont need to do any laps or any corners, in fact a lap would increase the number of variables and increase the duration of each test run, so just race up to the sector where your car already has hit maximum top speed, because you say only the acceleration is different.

So I did a custom race in the 92 NSX I’ve never driven before today: 1 lap at SSRX with everything set to default except only 2 cars, grid start, starting in 1st place, and the opponent car was a car from garage that I knew had no chance of beating me, an Abarth was what I picked, and I used the Auto transmission and TCS 1, full throttle the whole way, and I recorded all my split times although mainly the first two are useful.
Nice, will do the same when I can and of course share the results and compare with yours. :)

You can break it permanently, this same friend blew up his R32's engine and had to rebuild it after the race with engine status being at "Bad". Started loosing oil pressure and blew up after a few seconds, not even a minute.
No, you can not blow up your engine in GT7. You can lose some power over time or break the engine temporarily as a result of a collision but you can not break it permanently.

Last edited:
No, you can not blow up your engine in GT7. You can lose some power over time or break the engine temporarily as a result of a collision but you can not break it permanently.
Please show proof of this either way...

Please show proof of this either way...
Engine damage is explained is in the game manual and there's no mention of a permanent damage or the possibility of blowing up. Also, there would already be proof of this happening to someone if this was a thing and there is none. You can temporarily break an engine in a race but it will recover on it's own when Mechanical Damage is set to 'Light' and after a pitstop when set to 'Heavy'. Engines lose some power over time and if not maintained correctly but will not blow up.

Last edited:
Something else that came to me, how is the body of the car? So if the body is wore out it would be harder to plant the power and it may throw off the aero. Both would in theory slow the car's performance. Yes, it may not show a PP difference.

Just remember, if you leave it up to our guessing, we will spend all your credits for you. 😆

Engine damage is explained is in the game manual and there's no mention of a permanent damage or the possibility of blowing up. Also, there would already be proof of this happening to someone if this was a thing and there is none. You can temporarily break an engine in a race but it will recover on it's own when Mechanical Damage is set to 'Light' and after a pitstop when set to 'Heavy'. Engines lose some power over time and if not maintained correctly but will not blow up.
Man there's a thread here in GTPlanet precisely about a guy that blew up his engine. Plus I've seen it myself on my friend's R32. However you really have to skip maintenance of any kind to achive it.
Sorry if it has been mentioned but it's most likely to be track conditions rather than anything else. Also it's a lot of fuss over something this insignificant. What was your placing in the Nordschleife time trial with the NSX? Do you compete in a 1 make championship with it?
Feels the same on every track regardless of the conditions, something that never happened me before. I don't see it as a lot of fuss neither as insignificant, this can be a big problem with cars in general in the game and personally I wouldn't like the same thing to happen to each and every one of my cars at one point, plus It's not really pleasant to see that your favourite car has some random failure that doesn't seem to change with anything and ruins the experience of driving it, more so being something that happened from one day to another without any logical reason.
Something else that came to me, how is the body of the car? So if the body is wore out it would be harder to plant the power and it may throw off the aero. Both would in theory slow the car's performance. Yes, it may not show a PP difference.

Just remember, if you leave it up to our guessing, we will spend all your credits for you. 😆
Says "Excellent" but seems to go on the same path as the engine. I managed to repair it (the only thing I could repair of the car) but now with the handling model update it feels very confusing, kinda like if it got reset to before the repair was done. Can't really test this.

I wonder if wear/damage is coded to mileage, or engine revolutions? I'm tempted to buy a beater car, and elastic band my controller buttons to bounce it off the limiter, stationary, for half an hour or so.

Might need to mute my TV while doing so...

Man there's a thread here in GTPlanet precisely about a guy that blew up his engine. Plus I've seen it myself on my friend's R32. However you really have to skip maintenance of any kind to achive it.
You mean this?

His engine didn't blow up. He says it was a glitch and that the engine was fine after the race. Your friend most likely crashed and broke the engine temporarily, ran out of fuel, or experienced a similar glitch.

Why don't you record some gameplay where you drive the NSX so we can take a look if it looks normal or not?

Last edited:
I wonder if wear/damage is coded to mileage, or engine revolutions? I'm tempted to buy a beater car, and elastic band my controller buttons to bounce it off the limiter, stationary, for half an hour or so.

Might need to mute my TV while doing so...
Should be mileage.

You mean this?

His engine didn't blow up. He says it was a glitch and that the engine was fine after the race. Your friend most likely crashed and broke the engine temporarily, ran out of fuel, or experienced a similar glitch.

Why don't you record some gameplay where you drive the NSX so we can take a look if it looks normal or not?
Yes, I want to. Will try to upload it here rather than at YouTube, if I manage to at least.

Back