GTA V - real or fake map?

looks real to me

mapa11.jpg

mapa22.jpg

they have been on couple of sites/forums

some say that this is fake, some say that this might be a hawaii (same trick they used in TDU 2) and you go on airport, WHICH WOULD BE FREAKIN' NICE to travel from los santos to hawaii and so on

obviously it is too small for a main town

obviously it is too small for a main town

This. If the map is bigger than GTAIV, as has been alluded to, then it's clearly a fake. Looks pretty good though.

I look forward to the real thing with high anticipation.

I was gonna say it looks quite small so might be fake, damn good effort though at making it look real.

All that country space... mmmm, offroading. I 200%'d San Andreas, then spent the rest of my time with the game just driving around, a lot of it offroad. Especially after IV, I'm craving the freedom of some buggy action. :dopey:

That looks pretty good despite its size, but sadly appears to be fake...

Oh well, if the final map is something like that but bigger, I'll definitely be happy. :P

I don't know if it's real or fake, but I understand why people are assuming it's fake, considering the amount of fakes out there that are footage from other games, GTAIV with mods, zoomed in blurry bits of maps from other gams, etc.

But this does look pretty convincing. Don't forget the game is far from complete, so you can't meaningfully really conclude that a missplaced dollar sign is evidence of a fake.

I also don't see why people think it's a small map. Look at the density of the street layout of the city and compare it with the GTA IV map scaled down to roughly map the same street layout density.

This isn't exact science as one or other may have a more dense street layout, but it looks to me like the main city (Los Santos) in that GTAV map is smaller than Liberty City in GTA IV but that the overall map size is considerably larger.

If it's a fake, then someone has gone to a serious amount of trouble to create it.

Okay, here's a very rough comparison of the 2 map sizes. If you match them up such that the airport runways are roughly the same length, you get something that roughly looks like this. I'm actually being generous with GTA4 as the runways on my picture below are longer on that. So, if it's real or fake, it doesn't seem to be the small map the some think it is.

Assuming that's a roughly accurate match up, then the city is comparable in overall area to Liberty City and the overall map is much bigger.

gta5map.jpg

edit: One good reason to be skeptical is that these pictures were released alongside in game screenshots that clearly looked like they were modded from existing locations in GTAIV.

Last edited:
For me that seems grossly skewed.

I still think it's a fake. We've had just the one trailer so far, and I highly doubt the map would be leaked so early in production; the game probably won't be out until very, very late 2012 at least. I'm thinking early 2013.

I somehow would think IV's map isn't so much smaller.

BTW, if we presume that the map was real, would that land at the far northern section be swamps? I've always wondered if they were going to add such areas to a GTA game, and if they did, how would they? I don't know how much swamps there are in fact in California - likely less than Florida though, so I can't say anything about the realism of that concept...

Pretty sick if you ask me lol. That piece of land wasn't there in GTA:SA, was it?

The island? No, it wasn't but this game is nothing to do with GTA:SA. It's an entirely different canon. Just some of the same place names, much like GTA IV's Liberty City compared to the Liberty City in GTA III.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I know that. I just didn't remember seeing the island on the map in GTA:SA lol. Lots of familiar things from the trailer though.

I think that's part of the map. Rockstar and everyone who's seen it has said that the map is MASSIVE. The map in the image is big....but I wouldn't call is massive. They talk like the GTAIV map will fit inside the main city of Los Santos.

They talk like the GTAIV map will fit inside the main city of Los Santos.

Which, if true, will be immense.

GTA IV was clearly the stepping stone on a new console/generation towards GTA V.

Very much the same way that GTA III & Vice City were mere pawns until San Andreas fufilled Rockstar's ambition of a large, open world with lots to do.

I do think however, that the final map will indeed be different. The current one looks kind of lacking - there aren't many water areas near the city except for the ocean - I expected a bit more. Also the city looks a bit confusing, I can't really tell where each different district is located, except the airport. Those mountain roads (?) to the east of it look damned good though.

Even the GTAV "tester" that leaked a bunch of information mentioned that Los Santos was bigger than all of GTAIV combined. So, either that's not the real map, or the comparison shot is off. (That is, if the leaked info is true.)

Back