Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Australia

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 23 11.3%
  • Miami

Votes: 89 43.6%

• Total voters
Considering GTA V is getting another release...

What is this? Any details? I never picked up a PS4 (just borrowed a friend's for Red Dead), and now with the backward compatibility confirmation I won't bother and will just get a PS5 in a year or two. That said, I'd be down to re-buy GTA5 if this new release includes all of the online content that's come out and makes it available for us offline-only players.

What is this? Any details?

It's going to be released as a launch title on the new XBox. Will that make it the first game in history to "launch" with two consoles, I wonder? (It was out for 360, then was a launch bundle with XB1, and again with the new Xbox).

It's going to be released as a launch title on the new XBox. Will that make it the first game in history to "launch" with two consoles, I wonder? (It was out for 360, then was a launch bundle with XB1, and again with the new Xbox).
I think it's actually slated for late 2021 on the new gen.

What will be interesting (or disappointing) is the rumors of Rockstar making technical improvements to the game for the new consoles, but not making any visual improvements. The jump to PS4/XB1 did bring a lot of new quality of life improvements, but it's said those sort of things won't be expected on the next gen., just continuous releases of DLC.

Last edited:
Without discernible improvements to graphics, at least, I feel like GTA V at full price again will be a tough sell. Some people have purchased it 2...even 3 times possibly (7g, 8g, PC). I think they could implement RT reflections, run it at 60fps & 4k without too much difficulty. But the game is feeling quite old now. Like the core single player game feels a decade old now (car models, narrative, cultural commentary, even clothing). They really just need to move on. The joy for me in a GTA game is the feeling of discovery and exploration...I can't see myself enjoying a slightly tarted-up GTA V that I've already sunk 500+ hours into.

What is this? Any details? I never picked up a PS4 (just borrowed a friend's for Red Dead), and now with the backward compatibility confirmation I won't bother and will just get a PS5 in a year or two. That said, I'd be down to re-buy GTA5 if this new release includes all of the online content that's come out and makes it available for us offline-only players.

2nd half of 2021 for GTA V release on next gen consoles.

With regard to this you should be aware online content is no longer added to single player game, I believe that stopped back after Import/Export (someone correct me if I am wrong) so you will only have the content of the base game + plus the DLC's up to when that was stopped for the story.

Everything now that is added is only available for your online experience so if you are only planning to play the story and not go online you might want to have a rethink.

There is of course a possibility that they may update the offline experience with next gen release to add everything but we will have to await the actual details of the new re-release from R* which will still be awhile away.

^ Thanks. I look forward to the official details, then.

On a side note, I decided to replay GTA4 to see if maybe I just wasn't appreciating it properly when it came out. Nope. Driving cars and aiming guns are still awful. The lack of any environment but cityscape is still monotonous as well. I'm not too far in yet; I've just moved Niko into the second safehouse.

Reeeaally wanting some news on 6's map over here...

Two things I miss about GTA IV are the weapon/ammo inventory and body armor. In GTA IV, you don’t have 9,999 rounds of ammo for each weapon type, and you were limited to one weapon per category. GTA V is kind of ridiculous because you can carry virtually every weapon in the game at the same time. I’d really like it if this was scaled back, so you have to make a decision when preparing for fights.

As for body armor, it feels like it’s made from styrofoam trays in GTA V. Your bulletproof vest is depleted if someone just breathes on you. I remember in GTA IV you could jump out of a speeding car and the armor will remain intact, but your regular health is depleted. And it felt way more durable back then as well.

To add to my GTA4 revisit, especially after playing Red Dead 2, I'm really enjoying how IV's city gives you a better feeling of actually being in a living, breathing environment. Maybe it just has to do with how Liberty City is so much more vertical than Los Santos. RDR2's slower pace (naturally; it didn't have cars) did so much to improve that feeling, which is something I hope gets carried into GTA6 - is it the same development team? I don't know if Rockstar is still split up into different branches working on their own games like in the PS2 era.

Latest "Leak" now suggest a 2025 release for GTA VI
Some are saying they are purposely delaying it as they are milking as much out of GTAO

Some are saying they are purposely delaying it as they are milking as much out of GTAO
How do they justify that conclusion? Surely, the people who buy shark cards would keep buying shark cards on GTA VI. Add to that the massive influx of players that comes from a new title.

Purposely delaying? Perhaps.
Because they make so much money from GTA Online? No chance.

Watched that "updated" GTA V trailer. Even I'm saying nope to getting that. Good thing I have the older games.

To add to my GTA4 revisit, especially after playing Red Dead 2, I'm really enjoying how IV's city gives you a better feeling of actually being in a living, breathing environment. Maybe it just has to do with how Liberty City is so much more vertical than Los Santos. RDR2's slower pace (naturally; it didn't have cars) did so much to improve that feeling, which is something I hope gets carried into GTA6 - is it the same development team? I don't know if Rockstar is still split up into different branches working on their own games like in the PS2 era.
I don't know if you have played Online more than V but every time I boot up the story mode in V I can't help but feel the world feels so much more vibrant & alive. I think the visuals are objectively better (including smoother framerate) but the pedestrians and such seem to have more going on too. I just have been walking around the map as Franklin (restarted the game and haven't attempted the first mission) and interacting with different pedestrians (right d-pad button) to see what they say - it's surprisingly varied and some of them have quite a bit to say (unfortunately, you can't take this too far - usually after the third interaction they either call the police or attempt to assault/kill Franklin). You touched on it, but I think the more wide-open southern California setting feels less immersive at first...particularly because you'll want to be driving around it. But if you get out and walk, I think V has a great atmosphere & environment. I've noticed things I haven't noticed in 600hours of GTA Online...

It's been a long time since I played IV, but I do remember the perpetual cold fall day feeling very immersive, if a bit unpleasant.

It's an interesting contrast to GTA SA which was far more focused on the South-central/Compton area of LA (complete with a far more gritty/smoggy visual presentation) whereas V places a lot more emphasis on downtown and the Beverly hills/Hollywood section of the city (with a bright, blooming & clear presentation). One thing is clear (to me at least) - Rockstar is a master of open world building.

Last edited:
something I hope gets carried into GTA6 - is it the same development team? I don't know if Rockstar is still split up into different branches working on their own games like in the PS2 era.
Rockstar San Diego handled RDR and Rockstar North handled GTA. I believe the two still do the bulk of the work on their respective titles but collaberated quite closely on RDR2.

No update on if RDR's Rockstar San Diego will work in collaboration with the expected Rockstar North but... as you say, there is movement.

No update on if RDR's Rockstar San Diego will work in collaboration with the expected Rockstar North but... as you say, there is movement.
Sorry, I didn't mean to quote. :boggled:

Edit: and to add that smiley into your quote just now. I'll get the hang of this eventually.

Last edited:
I wonder if it will release before the 10 year (10 year!) anniversary of GTA V.

Games are getting so unwieldy to make. I'm not certain it's worth it. GTA V is a much more ambitious and far more technically advanced title than GTA San Andreas, of course (to be fair, every major GTA release has been extremely ambitious for it's time) but I'm not sure it's so much better than GTA San Andreas to justify the longer and longer development times. I would be very impressed if GTA VI manages to be so significantly better than V that it feels like it was genuinely worth waiting a decade for. If the development schedule keeps scaling the way it has been, GTA VII will be released in 2043. 😵 :lol:

My guess these will be the cities

Las Venturas
Vice City
San Fierro

Liberty City was in GTA 4 while Los Santos was in GTA 5. I remember reading articles that rockstar games wants to remake cities from past games. I mean they did liberty city and los santos so it could be the 3 cities above. Another candidate could be Carcer City.

Or maybe Rockstar Games might move away from an American setting perhaps do fictional version of London, Paris, Rome, Tokyo, Berlin or perhaps Moscow.

I wonder if it will release before the 10 year (10 year!) anniversary of GTA V.

Games are getting so unwieldy to make. I'm not certain it's worth it. GTA V is a much more ambitious and far more technically advanced title than GTA San Andreas, of course (to be fair, every major GTA release has been extremely ambitious for it's time) but I'm not sure it's so much better than GTA San Andreas to justify the longer and longer development times. I would be very impressed if GTA VI manages to be so significantly better than V that it feels like it was genuinely worth waiting a decade for. If the development schedule keeps scaling the way it has been, GTA VII will be released in 2043. 😵 :lol:
Based on past titles, and if we consider this GTA 6's first official announcement (or for better terms, official acknowledgment), the release will likely be in 2024 then, at its earliest.

Last edited:
As much as I would like to see more next gen versions of past cities, I would love to see a new city for the 6th iteration. I like the idea of Carcer City and having it be based on Detroit, with it on the east side of the "state", a large area reminiscent of Michigan with a northern area that has some fancy vacation areas along with some more rural "Yooper" type towns, and the west side of the "state" could be the industrial steel making city, sort of a combo of Gary and Portage Indiana. My thoughts on the storyline are a take on the auto industry, with the possible antagonist being something to do with a corrupt union that you have to take down, and then you can have the option to rebuild it yourself. I feel like the more industrial and poverty stricken regions would be a nice change of pace from the previous games, and there still would be some nicer cities and beaches so it doesn't feel completely run down.

As much as I would like to see more next gen versions of past cities, I would love to see a new city for the 6th iteration. I like the idea of Carcer City and having it be based on Detroit, with it on the east side of the "state", a large area reminiscent of Michigan with a northern area that has some fancy vacation areas along with some more rural "Yooper" type towns, and the west side of the "state" could be the industrial steel making city, sort of a combo of Gary and Portage Indiana. My thoughts on the storyline are a take on the auto industry, with the possible antagonist being something to do with a corrupt union that you have to take down, and then you can have the option to rebuild it yourself. I feel like the more industrial and poverty stricken regions would be a nice change of pace from the previous games, and there still would be some nicer cities and beaches so it doesn't feel completely run down.
Good shout. So i raise you Rio De janeiro, the city has glamorous areas, slums, beaches, surrounding countryside, a big airport and drugs and prostitution everywhere.Perfect.

Last edited:
If the title is set outside of the US, I would bet strongly on London. Hard for me to see R* doing a GTA game where English is not the primary language. Something like the plot of Guy Richie's Rock n Rolla would make for some excellent, and timely, GTA narrative.

Last edited:
GTA VI will be the first GTA (at least since the 3D era) to not have Dan Houser and Leslie Benzies onboard - two people undoubtedly responsible for the tremendous success of the series. I'm sure this is news to none here, but it did get me thinking about what the future of the franchise looks like without them.

It's hard to know exactly how much control each of them had over the development of the previous titles, but I would guess a lot considering the consistency of writing, tone, world building, immersion, etc. The GTA game prototype is already established so it's not like VI will be totally adrift, but I can see things going wrong without the kind of fanatical attention to detail the previous games had. Rockstar has done simply the best open worlds in the industry. It would be seemingly easy to copy the formula, but nobody comes close, IMO, which suggests that its a really difficult art to master. This is the part that I see going wrong the most without Benzies and Houser. After that it's the writing, which I'm almost certain will be less engaging and less edgy.

More than that, I worry that the series will stagnate. Each subsequent game, going back to 3, has really been additive - more open world opportunities and more depth being the two big development areas. GTA 3 felt pretty immersive when new, but is pretty shallow by GTA V standards. Will VI move the game on again? Or not?

What do you folks think?

There's nothing that would indicate to me that GTA 6 wouldn't have a ton of new things to bring the series forward as a whole. We know Take Two's business practices, but when Rockstar puts out a new title, it has always delivered and then some.

I think the fanbase in itself is becoming as worked up as the Half Life fanbase did in the mid 2000s, so whatever we do get won't be enough for them. But to me, I trust that Rockstar's going to knock it out of the park when that game does show up.

What do you folks think?
The focus on the online element of gaming will be of greater detriment to the the title for me, than anything else. I'm not saying they can't make an incredible game, but I'd say it will have plateaued in terms of the what older games offer for the single player.

I agree about online. I'm already miffed that they have locked all of the new content for GTAV to online only. I only see it getting worse for VI. What I am looking forward to is seeing what the RP community can do with the new title. Assuming Rockstar doesn't try to crack down on modding again.

Yup, it’s a shame to not have new content be available for solo play. I’d still be playing it side by side, with GT7.

Back