gtmaster's american invitational

• Thread starter gtmaster08
  • 30 comments
United States
Southern Pines
Saber_Leonhart
Cloud Of Advent
Hello everyone, fellow members of gtplanet.net! My name is gtmaster08 and well, many of you on here know me for a few competitions I have had in the past but I think it's time for me to try something new. So I have decided to hold a different competition for each month starting today (though this competition will also remain for the month of January) then by December 2014 at the end of that competition I will judge the winner however I will also be racing. As for how this will happen, here's how this will work;

• The competition will begin on the first of each month and will end on the next to last day of each month.
  • The scoring system will be as follows; 1st place is 10 points, 2nd is 8, 3rd is 5, 4th is 4, and anything lower than that will be 1 point.
  • As for time submissions, they should be posted in a picture (if possible) along with settings of the car(s).
  • Lastly, no gameshark/codebreaker influenced vehicles (trust me, I can ask someone on here if the car(s) is legit. If you submit a time with a gs/cb car then that time will be immediately rendered void.
Now then, as for which car(s) will be used in this portion of the competition predictably it will be only American cars. For new players of Gran Turismo 2, only cars from Acura, Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, Plymouth, Shelby, and Vector. As for the first track, it will be in Seattle Circuit. Now then, to all of you who wish to enter; I wish you the best of luck and may the best racer win!:)

-gtmaster08

Is there some kind of class format?

A fully tuned Viper is going to destroy a stock Superbird.
By class I assume that you mean C,B,A, and S right? Truth is, most of the american cars are usually B class or higher and will most often turn into an A or S class car. (after full tuning)

Well, to get you started, here's a time for the Castrol Mugen NSX GT (that you win from Grand Valley,) 1:21.971, could easily do under 1:20...

Ok, here's my time. (Although I feel like I could have done better...)

Car: [R] Ford GT40 Race Car
Time: 1:24:882

*UPDATE*

Heh, NOW here's my time! (Much better, if I may say)
Car: [R] Viper GTS-R Team Oreca
Time: 1:20:891

Last edited:
Ok, here's my time. (Although I feel like I could have done better...)

Car: [R] Ford GT40 Race Car
Time: 1:24:882

*UPDATE*

Heh, NOW here's my time! (Much better, if I may say)
Car: [R] Viper GTS-R Team Oreca
Time: 1:20:891

Hee hee, yeah. I was saving up for the Viper (felt like running a few races from an old save that had no cash...) when I won the Castrol NSX. I imagine the Viper has a little more potential in it... and dammit if I didn't spin out the NSX 2 out of 3 laps!! But still very fast and fun to work with. And of course the Viper has it's own control issues! Good job!

Ok, admittedly I forgot to update the challenge but for that reason this month's race will last until the near end of March. And the cars to be used this time must all be from Ford. The track this time will be Special Stage Route 5. Standings are:

1st: gtmaster08

2nd: Jeffgoddin

I'll get you started with the R GT40 you win from the 3rd MR race, 1:12.996 on lap 9 of my 2nd tuning run, had a 1:14.8 on my the 3rd lap of my first tuning run, then stiffened things up in front a bit (I normally run MR's with very low front springs and dampers, so stiffening the front still leaves the rear stiffer...) Was a decent lap, but could do better, especially with more tuning.

Edit: make that 1:12.673 with the [R] GT40, after setting suspension back to softer in front. Still leaving some meat on the bone here, as by sector times I didn't have a lap that didn't lose at least a few tenths on a sector or two, probably my best clean racing with this car is currently 1:12 or so. If I figure out a few better lines here and there (I'm sure mine aren't perfect, but they seem fast...), who knows, this car may be able to do 1:11 in the right hands.

Gotta love SSR5. How do you handle the first sweeper in the tunnel? The hard <70mph left a couple corners later, the dropping S-curve before the hairpin, and the hairpin itself, and finally the chicane before the ramp, and the ramp itself. Such a technically challenging course!

And of course, now I wonder about the GT90 and the Widebody Saleen... but I don't have a save with the GT90, and don't feel like running an Enduro for a chance to win one, so somebody else will have to try that car.

Alright, Saleen is faster. 1:10.600, and again, could probably do 1:10 or better...

Edit 3: 1:17.947 in a '99 SVT Cobra tuned to the max, best for a "stock" Ford... only on lap 7 of testing, but to be sure, much slower than the 2 race cars tested.

Edit 4: okay, 1:11.908 with the GT90, twitchy bitch, was the best I could do, so Saleen wins for Ford, though a genius could probably make the GT90 go faster than the Saleen... if you can figure out how to not go crazy every time you hit the end of the straight and go down and around in the opening tunnel turn... seriously, this car was annoying as hell trying to get it to behave... surprising dive in for a MR, challenging to steer it lightly enough. And it just wants to take off into that tunnel, only car I had to brake on the straight before going down in to stabilize...

Last edited:
not sure where gtmaster went, but he said this round is open until the end of March, so he'll probably be back. and of course you're welcome to give some cars a try and submit your times as well! Anybody else want to challenge the times I've set? I'm sure they could be improved upon by at least a few guys out there...

not sure where gtmaster went, but he said this round is open until the end of March, so he'll probably be back. and of course you're welcome to give some cars a try and submit your times as well! Anybody else want to challenge the times I've set? I'm sure they could be improved upon by at least a few guys out there...
I haven't gone anywhere.:lol: I've just been doing some race grinding lately in GT5 on the Clubman Cup in my Challenger (the newer one, not the classic) but I should also have my time up soon.:gtpflag:

The [R] GT40 is easy to get, win the 3rd MR challenge! Saleen I think was a million. And yeah, I ran the Enduro, and (lucky) got the GT90... I was bored!:lol: Interesting car to drive, worth trying once anyway.

I am sad to say but unfortunately I will have to drop out of the SS Route 5 round since I was rather busy. :guilty: So all in all I guess Jeff took that round. Which brings us to.....

1st: Jeffgoddin 18 points
2nd: gtmaster08 10 points

So the track for May will be Laguna Seca. Plus this time (for this round only) it will be a one model race. And the car we will use is none other than the Team Oreca Viper. With this in mind, only ones who have some skill in this car will do very good. Until next time, everyone. :cool:

*UPDATE*

Here's my time- 1:19:160

Last edited:
This one was a really tough one. The combo was used on a License Test, ok, but it was one which took me ages to pass. It's also the combo that gave me my "Corkscrewphobia" (I do that turn so carefully you'd think I'm afraid to do the turn). Each time I went faster, I just spun out at the sharper turns like the CS itself, the final turn (I tended to mess up a LOT on the final turn, especially after the rest of the lap was mostly clean) and at one point even the Andretti Hairpin got me. But after 11 laps, I finally got a time of 1:15.814 and said "Screw this crap, I'm done".

The thing is, I could have done a time almost a second faster if you joined my fastest splits only.

znLp3JX.jpg

I kind of hate to report this, since I know it's at least 3 seconds off what I can do, but 1:11.737 so far... and that's so far ahead I feel like before continuing and trying for my best I need to ask you guys a couple questions...

1) you switched to Super Softs, right? And max downforce? This is a slow track so it will help a lot without costing you much top speed.
2) are you driving AT? I am, and with this Viper, you need to forget about 6th gear. I'm set to Auto 8, the highest for 1st and 2nd, then stepping down to lowest at 5th, and final at 2.5. The revs go way past the powerband, and you need to get your shift ups to drop to 5600rpm or so.
3) you know how to suspension tune? For the Viper, drop spring rates, if nothing else. I dropped front to 13 or so, and rear to like 9.5. Otherwise it's totally unstable, hopping all over the place.

Attachments

• viper.jpg
    viper.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 6
the end of May, and good luck! With proper tuning, my time shouldn't be too hard to beat. If you do beat me, that'll give me motivation to try and improve my time, so I hope you do!

I might jump back into this, as I have been craving racing in GT2 again...

EDIT: Best Lap out of 7 was a 1:10.676 @ 168.36 MPH using the stock set-up and Super-Soft Tires.

27_376.jpg

Well, now I'll go ahead and post my new time, on like lap 32, with the same setup as above. I figured this new time would take MadMax or @Patruck GT2 at least 5 laps to beat! 1:09.426 @ 171.59 mph, AT. So there you go Kingofweasles, give it a few more laps, maybe even tune it, you have a new time to beat! Yes, it is good to get out the old GT2 every once in a while!

Shaved a few hundreths off after 60 more laps... ooof. Guess what? Test laps stop counting after 100! 1:09.378 @ 171.22 mph now. And I know there's at least another half second to get with this tuning from me. Every corner I occasionally take a good 5mph faster than the average lap, and on my best lap, everything was fairly clean, did mess up a little once, and hit like 3 corners at 4-5mph better than average. I know, impossible, but if I could hit every corner the best I'd seen myself do it, another half second off for sure. One thing about this track, in slow, out fast is the way to corner. Try to come in a little too fast and you'll regret it on the way out when you look at your speed...

Attachments

• viper.jpg
    viper.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
One thing about this track, in slow, out fast is the way to corner. Try to come in a little too fast and you'll regret it on the way out when you look at your speed...

Very true. It's surprising watching sportscar racing there how slow into the corners they go, and you think surely they can carry faster speed? But it's all about corner exit, blasting away. I always get burned by the uphill left just before the Corkscrew, as I think going through flat will carry speed up the hill, in actual fact fast entry just bleeds speed off on corner exit and sometimes makes me run wide. It's better to brake in, gas mid-corner and then get a good blast up the hill - momentum is everything. The Corkscrew is the ultimate slow in fast out corner.

Actually, that corner does have a flat out line, I can sometimes pull 147-149 mph through there, if I get the previous corner pretty good. Knowing when to turn in is the key (before you can actually see the corner, in fact), and you definitely want to take at least your left tires over the rumble strip, which will actually kick you straight for the uphill. 144 mph flat out is my average there.

that's quick! you drive Manual, right? Hopefully you won't beat my time in under 5 laps, then I would be embarrassed since it took me 30 some laps to get under 1:09.5, and 100 laps to get my best...

I feel good about that. I know I'm not the best racer, and I know how good you are, I'll take it!

Back