Number_4468_Mallard_in_York.jpg

Specifications
Power type:
Steam
Designer: Sir Nigel Gresley
Builder: LNER Doncaster Works
Build date: 3 March 1938
Configuration: 4-6-2
Locomotive weight: 102.95 long tons (104.6 t)
Locomotive and tender combined weight: 165 long tons (167.6 t)
Boiler pressure: 250 psi (1.72 MPa)
Cylinders: Three
Tractive effort: 35,455 lbf (157.7 kN)
Withdrawn: 25 April 1963
Restored: 1986 until 1988

The Mallard is officially classed as the fastest steam locomotive in the world after it set a world record of 125.88 mph (202.58 km/h) on July 3rd 1938. The record has remained unbeaten for over 75 years.​

This is the one thing I will vote on, because this thing is cool.

Not because it's Class A4 model 4468, but because it looks mean and holds a world record. That's impressive.

I still wonder when Richard Branson will build a steam engine to take this record.

The Mallard left an immortal legacy for the steam age back in the 30's. It's one of the most beautiful locomotive designs ever created and has stood the test of time to look fresh even today. Plus, achieving a speed over 75 years ago that is only ever seen by modern UK Intercity trains now, with an overheating big end bearing, makes it absolutely Sub Zero.

One of the most most iconic locomotives ever.

World record holders are always cool. I should know. :sly:

As a feat of engineering achievement and with the hope of forwarding mankind a transport ideas I cannot help but give it a cool vote.

It could never be sub zero being named after a duck though.

It's hard to say this is uncool but I have known too many trainspotters (my dad being one of them) who go on and on about steam trains to call it cool.

Sorry guys.

Having had close enough involvement with the train spotting community (via my dad) for most of my life, it's impossible to detach a steam locomotive from that culture, as such, I cannot give this a SZ, just a cool.

World record holders are always cool. I should know. :sly:

As a feat of engineering achievement and with the hope of forwarding mankind a transport ideas I cannot help but give it a cool vote.

It could never be sub zero being named after a duck though.
What if the duck was named after the train?

I don't like the old trains that much, but denying their coolness would be very silly.
High cool. There are trains that appeal to me slightly more than the Mallard.

And if this does 125 (probably not now it doesn't) it'd probably do a better job than some of the trains you get today...

It only did 125 on it's record run. It didn't do it every run because the British railroad system just wasn't up to the task at that time.

@Dennisch I hate the Big Boy. I think it's gone full circle and looks utterly, utterly ridiculous. But it is a marvellous feat of engineering.

The A4 could have done 130 on its record run, but it had to slow down sooner for a junction. And I agree somewhat that streamlined steam locos can look ridiculous, (compare the same train without streamlined bodywork), but I do love the Mallard and the LNER A4 is the best looking streamlined train ever. More than Bullet trains.

Big Boy, similar articulated Union Pacific Challengers, Shay locomotives and Garratt locos are just some of the non-streamline designs I like more than the Class A4. But to deny Mallard's status as an icon among steam trains would be criminal. Cool.

Sub Zero would be reserved for torpedo or Zephyr-inspired streamliners like the Commodore Vanderbilt.

Last edited:
Always been a fan. Quite possibly the most beautiful Steam Locomotive ever made. Aaaaaand it's in York, which is handy.

Sub Zero.

I live in Doncaster. No jokes! This came from Doncaster. Plus it's fast and stuff, so a cool.

The mechanical aspects are phenomenal but it doesn't look appealing to the eye.

Meh.

Back