Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @haitch40

1945 Kyushu J7W Shinden

shinden_10_4.jpg

Prototypes built: 2
Armament: 4x30mm Type 5 cannon.
Reason it was abandoned: Japan's surrender.
General characteristics

Performance

There was also a jet version planned but this never got any prototypes built.
j7w2bt.jpg

I can't look at one without thinking of @haitch40's undying fixation with it. A comical design which failed to go beyond the prototype stage. Uncool.

Spared SU because they got one of those things airborne (for less than an hour).

Last edited:
It's like the Porsche 911 of warplanes with the propeller engine at the back. Uncool.

World War 2 fighters are usually cool, but this one is so awfully portioned that it's seriously uncool. Jet version would have been just uncool, but they were never made.

I can't look at one without thinking of @haitch40's undying fixation with it. A comical design which failed to go beyond the prototype stage. Uncool.

Spared SU because they got one of those things airborne (for less than an hour).
Hey hey hey. I don't have a fixation about it just because I compared (possibly mistakenly) the Eurofighter to it. I just like some of the late war designs. It is like I love the F8F Bearcat (designed late war but saw production post war just.) as well.
Oh and you say a comical design that failed to go beyond prototype? You do understand the navy had ordered some just that the war finished too fast right? The American flight tests post war proved it to be a good plane.

Right for my vote.
SZ because design is interesting.
Knocked down to cool for the fact it looks like this piece of junk which was scrapped.
Curtiss_XP-55_Ascender_in_flight_061024-F-1234P-007.jpg

Knocked down again to meh because of the WT forum going mad about it.
Risen to cool again due to performance.
Risen to SZ because it could so easily be converted to a jet without changing the basic design.

Ok ok you could all predict my vote. I love Japanese things. :lol:

Hey hey hey. I don't have a fixation about it just because I compared (possibly mistakenly) the Eurofighter to it.

I had no idea where you made such a comparison, but checking the General Airplane Thread for the very first time answered that question soon enough. Guess I can add that to the other instances where you've brought it up. :P

Oh and you say a comical design that failed to go beyond prototype? You do understand the navy had ordered some just that the war finished too fast right? The American flight tests post war proved it to be a good plane.

Yeah. Failing to see how that makes it anything other than what I stated it to be.

Navy orders and test flights are one thing. Actually putting it into production is another. Not that I'd find such an aircraft particularly cool anyway if the war hadn't ended "too fast".

Ok ok you could all predict my vote. I love Japanese things. :lol:

So then, do you love the Burma Death Railway or Unit 731? Because those are products of the same Japan that gave us this, as opposed to the modern Japan you might know that gave us Hello Kitty and the Honda Civic.

Cool, because i think that's pretty fast for a propeller plane.
Then I realized I was looking at it wrong, and it flies... backwards.
Meh.

I'm biased toward all WWII planes, especially the fighters(just look at my username). Japanese planes, I love regardless of the era they are from. Cool.

X-wing_SWGTCG.jpg

"The Incom T-65 X-wing is the fighter that killed the Death Star. An almost perfect balance of speed, maneuverability, and defensive shielding make it the fighter of choice for Rogue Squadron."

Well, no doubt Sub Ze...

WAIT A MINUTE!

I think you're all being too harsh, without failed prototypes you wouldn't have successful designs. Between this and the American 'Ass-ender' they didn't fail to design a successful aircraft, they just found another design that isn't very good - think of it as the Darwinism of engineering - and for that reason I think it's cool. Every failed design takes us one step closer to the perfect one.

Not only is it a prototype, but it looks stupid. Really stupid. The U.S. pulled off a good-looking oddly shaped plane with the P38, but Japan? Not so much.

Seriously Uncool.

I love WWII fighters, but this one is ugly and reminds me of the American XP-55 "Ass-ender", which I tried in War Thunder and it was a pain in the ass to pilot.

Uncool. The Ki-200 Shushui would be a lot better.

Generally, as a whole I appreciate historical things. I'm a history buff, can't get around that.

Problem is, with liking that kind of stuff, you have to understand the negative connotation that goes along with instruments and machines designed to kill living things - there's a strange fascination that weapons bring to the table that even a college professor (who thought he was God) couldn't explain.

Same with this. Again, while I might like certain weapons, especially ones that figured prominently in historical events, there's something about them that does give me pause.

Not touching on the fact that this was a product of Imperial Japan, and focusing mainly on the basis that this was designed to be a machine to kill... I'd put this as SU.

Generally, as a whole I appreciate historical things. I'm a history buff, can't get around that.

Problem is, with liking that kind of stuff, you have to understand the negative connotation that goes along with instruments and machines designed to kill living things - there's a strange fascination that weapons bring to the table that even a college professor (who thought he was God) couldn't explain.

Same with this. Again, while I might like certain weapons, especially ones that figured prominently in historical events, there's something about them that does give me pause.

Not touching on the fact that this was a product of Imperial Japan, and focusing mainly on the basis that this was designed to be a machine to kill... I'd put this as SU.

I've alluded to similar things in recent posts. For me it's easier to classify a weapon that is only likely to be used against other people fighting in a war as cool. Most WW2 fighters were only used for engaging other fighter aircraft or bombers, or boats. WW2 Bombers would be tough to vote cool, because basically they've blown innocent peoples limbs and torso apart, burned people horribly... etc. etc. etc. Cold war era bombers, less so -- a tool of fear but not really the civilian body count to go with it.

Avro Vulcans are cool.
TU-95 are cool as well.

Ah got ya, sorry, my post could have been clearer, when I said "less so", I didn't mean that cold-war bombers were even less cool than WW2 bombers, I meant they are less affected by the fact they are war machines, because of the significantly lower body count (i.e. mass bombing of civilian targets).

Sub Zero. just like XP-55 Ascender and Sai-Ambrosini SS.4, XP-54 Swoose Goose and XP-56 Black Bullet.

Back