GTP Alternative Cool Wall: 1957-present United States Machine Gun, Caliber 7.62 mm, M60

1957-present United States Machine Gun, Caliber 7.62 mm, M60

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @DurWinning

THE M60

[
m60-jpg.198307

Produced/In Service: 1957 - Present day (although it's being phased out by the M240)
Place of Origin: USA
First saw action in: Vietnam War
Caliber: 7.62mm
Rate of Fire: 500-650 Rounds per Minute
Unit Cost: $6,000​

Seriously Uncool. No matter who you are, no matter where you are, carrying a gun/rifle/MG/yougettheidea is uncool. You get cool points for machettes, icepicks and communist vehicles. Guns? Nope. Uncool.

Light machine guns are heavy and have too much recoil.

Uncool.

Anything designed to kill other human beings, i.e any tool of war is seriously deeply catastrophically uncool. I fail to see how it can be anything else.

Anything designed to kill other human beings, i.e any tool of war is seriously deeply catastrophically uncool. I fail to see how it can be anything else.
Killing for no reason may not be good, but sometimes it takes more than an angry letter to get someone to stop doing something that they shouldn't be doing. War isn't a bad thing by itself. Also consider that lethality is a deterrent and thus also a life saver. When a weapon convinces someone to call off their attack before they start and in the process protect lives on all sides, it's doing its job.

Seriously Uncool. No matter who you are, no matter where you are, carrying a gun/rifle/MG/yougettheidea is uncool. You get cool points for machettes, icepicks and communist vehicles. Guns? Nope. Uncool.

Seriously uncool, because gun.

image.jpg

So killing terrorists is uncool? Is killing mass murderers in the defense of the innocent uncool as well?

I think the M60 is cool, but there are much cooler firearms out there. The M60 is just too heavy and impractical.

So killing terrorists is uncool? Is killing mass murderers in the defense of the innocent uncool as well?

Since you didn't specify that you were killing terrorists out of defence (as opposed to just walking into their living room while they're watching TV and shooting them in the face), that would be as uncool as anything can possibly be.

Killing mass murderers in defence of the innocent is seriously uncool because there was a mass murderer involved to begin with, and also because you're killing someone.

Killing people is always seriously uncool.

Despite what I said about a tank not being cool because it's a killing machine I must say that all this talk of killing with this gun and bla bla bla has taken my vote from meh to cool. Because nothing does more for an item's coolness than people than people hating it for its insensibility.

This is the military equivalent of a firehose. Point it in a general direction, spray, and hope it puts out the fire.

These weapons aren't meant for killing people... I mean... yes, it's a military gun... it kills people... but the primary role of the M60 in jungle warfare is to lay down suppressing fire... which would kill anyone stupid enough to stand up in front of a hail of bullets, but which, more importantly, forced the enemy to keep their heads low.

And, as said, there are better light machine guns out there... more reliable, too. Most people probably wouldn't care about the M60 if it wasn't made in America.

Rifles can be elegant and sophisticated... or they can be brutishly simple but effective. This LMG? It's a garbage truck with leaky hydraulics and a bum motor.

Uncool.

It's a gun. It's a big gun. Therefore any school kid from any country in the world is going to go "Wow, cool!". OK, so as an object there is some inherent coolness here, but ultimately they're going to be operated by human beings with agendas and sorry, that association just leaves a Meh from me.

The fact that your country required protection in a manner that "required" the killing of others is seriously uncool.

The fact that your country required protection in a manner that "required" the killing of others is seriously uncool.
That has nothing to do with the gun. To me it sounds like saying anything is uncool because it exists in the same universe as some other uncool thing that has nothing to do with the original item.

Killing is much the same, as the gun is very distinct from whatever it is being/could be used for.

Back