Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors

Nominated by @SVT Cobra GT

Ayrton 'Senna' da Silva

image-2-for-ayrton-senna-gallery-642657818.jpg

Born: March 21st 1960, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Died: May 1st 1994, Imola, Italy
Known For: 3 Time F1 World Driver's Champion (1988, 1990, 1991)
Formula One Teams: Toleman, Lotus, McLaren, Williams​

I am aware that this may be a somewhat controversial poll, please try to remain respectful.

Although often overhyped, still a rather mystique and philosophical person aswell as a great racing driver from a great racing era. A well-deserved Sub-Zero.

Arguably the greatest F1 driver of all time. Watching the Senna documentary gave me huge respect for him as both a driver and a human being. Sub Zero.

I respect him, but he drove a car sponsored by cigarettes, which taint anything they touch as Seriously Uncool

I thought about this for a while, and then I realised that 90%< of the people voting uncool or lower will be voting uncool or lower just because he's popular, and hipsterism is seriously uncool.

(I should know, I'm the god of the hipsters)

Serious talent balanced by a serious lack of empathy for his fellow man. Well, I suppose that's not strictly true, as he was inconsistent with that last bit, sometimes caring about his fellow drivers, and sometimes not hesitating to put them (as well as himself) off the track. The documentary, while excellent, has bred an entire generation to parrot "OMG SENNA DA BEST", even if they were born after he died. Which, regardless of all this, was entirely too early, and still an unfortunate end.

I'm unsure of where this leaves my vote.

A brilliant driver who's life had a tragic end. This might sound bad, but people who are killed doing what makes them cool makes them even cooler.

Easily the coolest F1 racer, and possibly the coolest driver in the world.

The documentary is the only thing I've ever watched on a screen that made me cry.

Sub-Zero.

I respect him, but he drove a car sponsored by cigarettes, which taint anything they touch as Seriously Uncool

He didn't exactly choose his sponsor.

I thought about this for a while, and then I realised that 90%< of the people voting uncool or lower will be voting uncool or lower just because he's popular, and hipsterism is seriously uncool.

Exactly- the same thing happened to Steve McQueen.

I'm voting uncool because since his death he's been revered as some kind of demi-God. Had he not died I doubt people would think much more of him now that they do of Prost or Schumacher.

Again, everything cigarettes touch (With one exception) is tainted to Seriously Uncool, if he hadn't been sponsored by them, I would have voted Sub Zero.

Pretty much all cars of that era had cigarette sponsorship.

Again, everything cigarettes touch (With one exception) is tainted to Seriously Uncool, if he hadn't been sponsored by them, I would have voted Sub Zero.

Well what's the one exception ?

In that era of motorsports tabacco sponsorship was in pretty much all categories of racing, it was also a time before the full and true dangers of cigarettes were fully realised.
You are writing off what is arguably one of the greatest era's of motorsports because the teams accepted tabacco sponsorship.

Judging his career and the fact he has inspired generations of people and drivers because one of his teams accepted tabacco money is pretty poor to be honest.

The one exception
Winston%20Cup%20Victory%20Lap%20Logo.png

Because it was the one thing sponsored by cigarettes that I found out about before I knew how bad cigarettes are

He made excuses to wreck his competitors and was butthurt whenever he'd get wrecked by someone else. Formula One's equivalent to Dale Earnhardt.

Uncool.

So @Jahgee1124 you would vote 'The Winston Cup Series' cool because at that time the true dangers of smoking weren't known, but Senna is seriously uncool because his team had tabacco sponsorship at a time when the true dangers of smoking weren't known :boggled:
Sorry but that's some flawed logic.

So you would vote 'The Winston Cup Series' cool because at that time the true dangers of smoking weren't known, but Senna is seriously uncool because his team had tabacco sponsorship at a time when the true dangers of smoking weren't known :boggled:
Sorry but that's some flawed logic.
No, what I'm saying is I don't consider everything related to the Winston Cup Series Seriously Uncool because I didn't know what Winston was back then. Everything I hear about for the first time that is sponsored by tobacco now is Seriously Uncool

I still miss him & I don't even really follow racing. To us Japanese, he became even more special with his ties with Honda, and also damn near our national hero Satoru Nakjima(Senna's unbelievably distant #2 driver lol).

7154628041_8c4ee529d8_o.jpg

I wasn't entirely sure where I stood on this one, but I voted Sub-Zero to nullify a nonsensical Seriously Uncool, because I at least know that he's definitely not that.

Meh. Racing F1 makes a man cool. Killing oneself during the racing of F1 is not cool. An amazing driver to watch but an attitude off the track. Hyped by a generation born after his death (same same Kurt Cobain) and better remembered than some equally talented drives because of his tragedy.

He'll always be a legend, but at the time I found Mansell to be the more exciting and watchable driver. So it's a Cool from me.

Last edited:
I find it funny that people here consider him as super popular and over rated, if I would say Ayrton Senna in public only few people would even remember hearing that name.

Adds a certain something to any real man. Look what happened to Tom Selleck's career after he shaved his off.

Back