1960-present Internet

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Turbo

(Banned)
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey
1960-present Internet nominated by @AudiMan2011

Information: The Internet is the global system of interconnected computer works that use the Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link devices worldwide. It is a network of networks that consists of private, public, academic, business, and government networks of local to global scope, linked by a broad array of electronic, wireless, and optical networking technologies. The Internet carries an extensive range of information resources and services, such as the inter-linked hypertext documents and applications of the World Wide Web (WWW), electronic mail, telephony, and file sharing.​

The internet has been responsible for greatly improving our world, but it has also negatively impacted it.

Relevant xkcd:
upload_2017-7-27_13-6-41.png

Any section of it requires extensive moderation to avoid having that section either fill up with nazis or tankies or daesh sad men. It reflects the worst parts of human nature when left unchecked, and all too often it is.

Home of numerous sites where you can lose your social life if you're not careful, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, Snapchat, TV Tropes, Wikipedia, and GTPlanet. :mischievous:

I have to say that the internet killed my social life, yet I willingly keep visiting the internet.* Seriously uncool.

*I'm not leaving this site, or the internet.

I'm amused that some of the comments are in regard to the World Wide Web and not the internet proper.

Although, to a lot of people, the internet is the World Wide Web. Which is somewhat akin to saying all beer is Budweiser.

Though Internet is cool and all but it negatively affects social life.

Gonna give it a Meh.

As a resource technology I think it ranks as importantly as the industrial revolution in terms of how it's changed the world. There will always be bad crap around the web because it's a reflection of humanity which consists of both great good and awful evil. The internet/web itself is just a vessel for people to use, it can't be good or bad in and of itself.

SZ

Back