Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @cmbeal317

1965-1979 Aérospatiale-BAC Concorde

Concorde_landing_Farnborough_Fitzgerald.jpg

Specifications:

Crew: 3 - 2 Pilots and a flight enginner

Capacity: 92-120 Passengers(128 with optional high-density layout)

Length: 202ft. 4in.

Wingspan: 84ft. 0in.

Height: 40ft. 0in.

Powerplant: 4x Rolls-Royce/SNECMA Olympus 593 MK 610 afterburning turbojets

Dry thrust: 32,00 lbf each

Thrust with afterburner: 38,050 lbf each

Performance:

Maximum speed: Mach 2.04(~1,354 mph or 2,179km/h)

Cruise speed: Mach 2.02(~1,340 mph or 2,158 km/h)

Range: 3,900 nautical miles(4,488 mi. or 7,222 km)

Service ceiling: 60,000 ft(18,300 m)

Fuel consumption: 46.85 lb/mi

hyper-awesome. The thing actually came to Mexico once or twice when my dad was working at the airport. He credits it for being partially deaf today.

Not really.

Does a single machine capture the sixties better? Yes, the Saturn V, but with Concorde we see something just as insane and impractical in an all the more mundane environment. By the time it had actually entered service the dream was gone, but the machine was there. It's understandable why they stopped using it, but I'll still miss being able to look up and see something that insanely fast every day.

And that's the thing, Concorde captured the world's imagination. A commercial airliner that could play with the military big boys in terms of speed, and was more beautiful than all of them. I'll never get to ride on a Concorde now, but until 2003 the dream was there. It was there for all of us.

Sub zero.

I had 4 posters on my wall as a young boy. The Concord was one of them. Sub Zero for sure.

I'd heard (not seen) it several times in flight (saw one grounded once) and the only thing that comes close to the feeling it gave me was the Eurofighter.

Is there going to be an 'Lord Kelvins Ice Box'?

If so, this goes in, no question.

It's an ugly plane. That's all I see and all I know about it.

Seriously uncool.

Someone ban him. Ban him now!

Seriously dude, if that's all you know about it, DON'T VOTE.

How can you even say it's ugly? It's one of the most beautiful things to ever grace the skies.

Concorde_AirFrance_Flyngfleet.jpg

0599070.jpg

beautiful_concorde.jpg

concorde_03.jpg

concorde_british_airways.jpg

ej62.jpg

:drool:

*edit*

More pics with afterburners.

0413742.jpg

BA_Concorde_G-BOAG_LHR_20030427_D4995.jpg

images

ATFTERBURNERS!!!!

AND YOU SAY UNCOOL????

DO YOU WEAR SOCKS WITH SANDALS AND LISTEN TO JAMES BLUNT???

Last edited:
Yeah but that's for cars really. We need another one for this wall.
Name it after the first thing to make it there. Or is that too cliche?

Sub-zero of course, and I wasn't alive for most of its life. I just sort of know.
It's an ugly plane. That's all I see and all I know about it.

Seriously uncool.
This man doesn't.

But events conspired to bring the end of its service. And it's not viable to bring it back because time is irrelevant next to price these days.

Such a weird nose, but that's oddly appealing. Shape is gorgeous, looks more like a large fighter jet than a passenger liner.

And the speed it reaches.

Sub-Zero.

So one person doesn't know about this machine nor cares enough to read and learn... and another rather not say why, okay.

@DQuaN you're post was very funny

As for me there are many planes I find cool, and this is one of them due to what it did and what other haven't seemed to try since rather going for long distance and size over trim and speed. Which is fine. Though it is a bit sad how this all came to end and really could have kept going if certain events hadn't happened sadly.

I tend to like the Tuplov a bit better (front canards that look like ears), but this was a cool plane and maybe we'll see more like it in the future, though I doubt it.

The only negative knock I have against it which played to it's demise a bit, was the overall operational expense which you could run a fleet of jumbo jets with instead and probably make more revenue. That portion is uncool but still keeps it as Sub Zero for me.

SZ, no contest. This thing could very easily go down as one of the greatest commercial jetliners ever of all time- if not the greatest.

In the summer of 2003 I attended an international Scout camp in Windsor Great Park, about 7 miles south west of Heathrow. A number of things contributed to that week being one of the best of my life, and one of those things was that once in the morning and once in the afternoon, every day, whatever you were doing would be interrupted by
BOOM
and everyone would look up and see that shape going supersonic over our heads. It was utterly magical.

Concorde was a brilliant thing and I'm glad I got to see them fly. I imagine it got a bit tiresome if you lived in the flight path of an airport visited by it every day, but for me seeing Concorde fly was a rarity and a privilege, and I know that was a feeling shared by many. Easy Sub Zero.

This was probably peak of commercial aircrafts. It made supersonic speed available to everyone*.

Sub Zero

(Well everyone who could pay enough.)

Last edited:
Someone ban him. Ban him now!

Seriously dude, if that's all you know about it, DON'T VOTE.

I don't care about a lot of things, including planes. So if at least I'm going to judge it, I will judge it from what I know. And I know one thing about this plane, based on my perception of beauty: this thing is ugly. I reckon "Concorde" is a pretty cool name.

But I didn't even know what this plane was called before I cast my vote, so it doesn't count. I try to vote based on what I know, not what the OP says to inform me.

For those who think the nose looks ridiculous:

Wikipedia
Concorde’s drooping nose, developed by Marshall Aerospace, enabled the aircraft to switch between being streamlined to reduce drag and achieve optimum aerodynamic efficiency, and not obstructing the pilot's view during taxi, takeoff, and landing operations. Due to the high angle of attack, the long pointed nose obstructed the view and necessitated the capability to droop. The droop nose was accompanied by a moving visor that retracted into the nose prior to being lowered. When the nose was raised to horizontal, the visor would rise in front of the cockpit windscreen for aerodynamic streamlining.

I've seen one in a museum and the only thing there that got more of my attention was the SR-71. Not even the space craft things were as interesting, Sub-Zero.

Back