• Poll closed .

Turbo

(Banned)
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey

1993-present Fidget Spinner nominated by @Turbo

Fidget_spinner_red%2C_cropped.jpg

Information:
In 1993, chemical engineer Catherine Hettinger created the Fidget Spinner, a simple device that's purpose was to ease depression and increase the ability of a person to focus. These toys also were capable of calming down autistic children and kids with other disabilities. Fidget spinners became widely popular in America with kids and teens in 2017, and they became sold almost anywhere, at prices between as low as $3 to up to $2000.

For those that need them, I'm sure they're wonderful. As most kids that have them don't need them, collectively they're incredibly pointless.

Uncool.

So people forget about stuff then they come back in...and are supposedly new and cool again. I guess in another 6 years yo-yos will be all the rage like they were in the 90s for a second time, after being initially cool in the 70s...

Hacky sacks will be back in too when they're given a new cool exterior, perhaps hacky pyramids or cubes? Don't any of you dare steal these "great" ideas :mad:;).

SU cause of a fad that will be forgotten by the end of the year as piles of these things take new residence at local landfills. Which wasn't new to begin with just was popular because many of those into it weren't even alive when it first came about.

For the people who need them, such as autistic children, it's a brilliant little device, but it's been hijacked by the internet which drops it right into the depths of Seriously Uncool.

I've bought a couple for my nephews(handing them out today, in fact). I was curious about them, so asked one of the coworkers to bring one of his kids' spinners in from home, and we played around with it one morning. It did keep us amused for few minutes in between work. Meh. :lol:

Material piece of utter nonsense. How does this benefit humanity? It's a stupid thing which will die out next week, and then another dumb fad will come about for no reason at all. I will never own one, there is no point because it's in no way helpful. More or less distracting. Seriously uncool.

Uncool.

Stupid things that serve no purpose other than for a handful of people. Complete waste of energy and resources.

Material piece of utter nonsense. How does this benefit humanity? It's a stupid thing which will die out next week, and then another dumb fad will come about for no reason at all. I will never own one, there is no point because it's in no way helpful. More or less distracting. Seriously uncool.

You really should research about the benefits to people with anxiety and hyperactivity that fidget spinners provide before outright declaring they have no use whatsoever.

While the toy itself isn't that bad, the fact that some of these cost thousands of dollars and that they have invaded schools (school's out for me, thankfully) makes it seriously uncool.

Don't think it's a toy that deserves the level of hype and fame it has, but it is an interactive toy never the less. I've been through a Newton's Cradle, a service (call) bell, a counter, those bajillion-magnets-in-a-cube, and even an iDog for that matter. So I get why the individual may find some level of appeal in a doo-hickey that can spin for a reallllly long time.

Also, given the market where people make some fancy looking ones, I'd have to say the standard plastic and 4 skateboard bearing look is uncool. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive in the mail. :P

I must be old. I tried one and I saw absolutely no benefit to me, nor could I get it to spin really. I think it might require skills similar to hula hooping. Either way, I find it to not help concentration but just to improve children in doing things one-handed. SU.

That's a terrible definition for the word "cool". Someone, somewhere on Earth, might find it cool.
What's cool or not is subjective... Soooo that "definition" is pretty on point.
That said, if the works for people that need that sort of thing, cool. It's popularity though is truly the definition of fad. I'm indifferent. A meh from me.

What's cool or not is subjective... Soooo that "definition" is pretty on point.

That definition is entirely useless, because it is so broad that it is all encompassing. The rock outside my window is cool, my window is cool, the air is cool, the chip I just ate is cool. Pointless...

wikipedia
Coolness is an aesthetic of attitude, behavior, comportment, appearance and style which is generally admired.

"Generally admired". Coolness requires general buy-in from a population.

top gear website
According to Jeremy, an important part of each car's coolness factor rested on the extent to which he believed they would impress the actress Kristin Scott Thomas.

Back