GTP Alternative Cool Wall: 1993-present Fidget Spinner

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 50 comments

1993-present Fidget Spinner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But what if that particular population consists of uncool people?

It can be cool within that population. For example:

the_most_awesome_lego_creations_ever_640_03.jpg

Danoff, are you trying to imply geeks aren't cool? Have you not seen just how popular geek culture has become? Anyone who can make that piece is freaking cool AF.

Danoff, are you trying to imply geeks aren't cool? Have you not seen just how popular geek culture has become? Anyone who can make that piece is freaking cool AF.

Something tells me Kirstin Scott Thomas would not be impressed.

Whoever made the fidget spinners trending must be a guy who wants attention.

But to be real honest I find this useful to stop doing my mannerisms lately such as rubbing my fingers, biting my fingernails, and other weird stuff that involves the use of my hand.

But this still doesn't stop me from giving a SU. Hipsters ruined it.

were Garbage pail kids uncool? I loved those cards when I was a kid! Micro Machines weren't uncool too were they?

I have a serious question. I have been told that these are to help people focus. How is this? All they do for me is distract me from what I am really suppose to be working on. Why would schools be telling kids to put them away if they helped them focus on what they needed to focus on? I don't own one of these, but a co-worker had one one day in our meeting and I asked to play with it. I did, and literally missed a solid 7 minutes of the meeting. I couldn't focus on anything except for the spinner.

I vote uncool. The intended purpose does the exact opposite for me.
I own a Coheed and Cambria one. That alone makes me uncool.
Hey now, Coheed is awesome though. So even if the FS is not cool, the fact that it is a Coheed Spinner makes it cool. :P

For people who need them, Sub-zero. Personally, I'll keep my fidget cube because it's better for my anxiety and for when I get overwhelmed to help remind me to breath and to get me to calm down.

For the like 10 year old kids who have no need for them and just want them to be hip or whatever the lingo is these days Super uncool.

So that averages to a Meh, I guess.

Stimmy things.

I have been told that these are to help people focus. How is this?

The helping people focus thing isn't really a helpful description. They might help some people focus, but their potential benefits vary from person to person. There are also plenty for whom they have little benefit beyond entertainment.

For a lot of people they can help relieve some anxiety by distracting them from things in their environment which contribute to their anxiety, which could in turn help them focus. Beyond that a lot of people just enjoy the general the weight and feel of them, which can put them in a better mood and in turn improve their focus.

I'm no expert, but there are plenty of other autistic people out there who can vouch for their benefits, in particular because they are discrete, which can help lessen the stigma some autistic people face just for being themselves.

These things date back to 1993?

They were originally created as discrete stimming devices for autistic people, but the patent expired and it turns out that the uncultured neurotypicals all actually liked stimming all along.

Last edited:
Back