• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @Bobert power

Sukhoi Pak-Fa T50

image-jpg.203495

• The PAK FA is a fifth-generation fighter programme of the Russian Air Force. The T-50 is the aircraft designed by Sukhoi for the PAK FA programme. Wikipedia
    • Top speed: 1,516 mph (2,440 km/h)
    • Range: 3,418 miles (5,500 km)
    • Wingspan: 46' (14 m)
    • Weight: 40,790 lbs (18,500 kg)
    • Unit cost: 50,000,000–100,000,000 USD
    • Engine types: Saturn AL-31, Saturn AL-41, Turbofan

Ugly Russian fifth-gen clone made from seemingly archaic technology compared to it's rivals.

Not to mention the project is basically dead, with money from India barely keeping it alive. No one wants it and it's testing has been all kinds of problematic.

Pretty serious uncool.

Please stop complaining about the number of aeroplanes being polled. People have the right to nominate whatever they want (within reason).

If you really can't stand the fact that 7 of the 53 nominations (13.2%) that have been made so far have been aircraft, then don't nominate an aircraft and don't vote when one comes up. Complaining about it adds nothing to the discussion.

Can it outrun speeding bullets? Can it leap tall buildings in a single bound? Nope. Is it a bird? Nope, it's a plane. And I know nothing about planes. It's got wings and ailerons and stuff. Probably got like a stick or something. Solid 100% meh from me.

Clone of what? Also given that it's the successor to the Su-27, I wouldn't call it archaic.

It's not rocket science to find out where the general design cues came from. The engines, while powerful, are old technology. It's also not that stealthy and doesn't have internal weapons bays.

It's not rocket science to find out where the general design cues came from.
Then how about a more detailed answer? Have you ever considered that similarities between this and other planes (which are pretty vague) arise because it was designed to do the same job as those other planes, using the same understanding of physics? The plane looks like an extension of the design philosophy seen in the Su-27. The main difference would be the wing planform designed for higher speed flight.

Besides, the exterior of the plane alone will only tell you so much. The internal design is extremely important, and unless that is copied along with the exterior, this won't be a clone at all.

The engines, while powerful, are old technology. It's also not that stealthy and doesn't have internal weapons bays.
They're not a radically new design, but they aren't old. They an update of existing engines. This is good enough for most fighters in service today, like the F-15/16. Out of the 5th generation fighters, the F-22's F119's are already a decade old and originally designed in the 80's/90's.

Stealth wise, there's no determining the RCS from just looking at it. It's clearly going for a reduced RCS, though it might not match US rivals. It does have internal bays in order to help with the RCS (and aerodynamics).

An interesting project by Sukhoi DB, but it's still "wet" by now. The "child diseases" are not yet cured, and so it suffers mechanical problems. Not yet in serial production. Gets a Cool from me, but not SZ. Somehow I distrust that "fifth generation fighter" concept in general. Is it even worth the funds spent on it?

Ugly Russian fifth-gen clone made from seemingly archaic technology compared to it's rivals.
Two wings, two tailfins, two jet engines, "stealthy" shape = clone? :confused:

Two wings, two tailfins, two jet engines, "stealthy" shape = clone? :confused:

Not quite a rip off of J-31 proportions, but the similarities go far beyond that.

Suppose the TU-204 design wasn't supposed to look like the 757 either?

Not quite a rip off of J-31 proportions, but the similarities go far beyond that.
But only as far as any one fighter looks like another really.

Suppose the TU-204 design wasn't supposed to look like the 757 either?
It wasn't. It's a mid weight airliner designed in a conservative/converged industry. What else would it look like?

The Su-24 and Tu-160 aren't copies either.

Modern jets leave me very meh. Give me a MiG-21, Viggen or a Lightning any day over this.

Low cool for now. Too early to say what it'll ultimately end up being.
The Blackshark and Foxbat would like to have a word with you.
The Blackjack (especially), Bear, Backfire, Berkut, Yak-3 and Foxhound would like to put in their 2 cents as well.

Back