2014-present Tesla Autopilot

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Turbo

(Banned)
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey
2014-present Tesla Autopilot nominated by @W3HS

Information: Tesla Autopilot is a driver assist feature offered by Tesla.. The company's stated intent is to offer fully autonomous driving at a future time, acknowledging that legal, regulatory and technical hurdles must be overcome to achieve this goal. Tesla's plans to demonstrate full self-driving by the end of 2017 and to enable it by 2019.​

As somebody who doesn't enjoy driving 90% of the time I can't wait until this tech trickles down to everyday (affordable to me) cars and I can smoke a bong and read Reddit while going to visit the in-laws.

It is the future, but it's not. We're living it.

This is sci-fi in reality, it's no longer fiction, but real science.

I like Musk and admire his perseverance in the face of "that'll never catch on". We on the verge of driving automation and the figures reported by Tesla and Google suggest that traffic incidents are pretty much negligible when the auto pilot is in control.

Sure, these cars can crash, but more so than a human? Fat chance. Plus it seems to be only us pesky cyclists that confuse the on board computers.

I can't comment on whether they've worked out a solution to the hypothetical Trolly Problem but these computers are still way ahead of human drivers in highway driving.

I know there will be detractors who say it'll take the fun out of driving but for people like me who drive rarely and hyper mile it's perfect and for everyone else there's and off switch.

It is the future, but it's not. We're living it.

This is sci-fi in reality, it's no longer fiction, but real science.

I like Musk and admire his perseverance in the face of "that'll never catch on". We on the verge of driving automation and the figures reported by Tesla and Google suggest that traffic incidents are pretty much negligible when the auto pilot is in control.

Sure, these cars can crash, but more so than a human? Fat chance. Plus it seems to be only us pesky cyclists that confuse the on board computers.

I can't comment on whether they've worked out a solution to the hypothetical Trolly Problem but these computers are still way ahead of human drivers in highway driving.

I know there will be detractors who say it'll take the fun out of driving but for people like me who drive rarely and hyper mile it's perfect and for everyone else there's and off switch.

I mean I agree with you and enjoy his attempt to bring the future now, but he's not the only one perfecting it nor was he the first. I like the autopilot idea in vehicles but until it's fully complete it's just a semi-functioning system of the idealized fully functional one. I'd be happy to say it's SZ in 2019 if it is 100%.

Also I think it's great for a guy like me that has to drive long distances to see family but not long enough to where I have to fly. Recently on these trips I've noticed I have been far more tired on the return leg and such a system would be quite nice for those moments when I feel myself falling asleep. So I'm not sure what enjoyment people get out of the A to B hustle and bustle, to claim this isn't a good device.

I mean I agree with you and enjoy his attempt to bring the future now, but he's not the only one perfecting it nor was he the first. I like the autopilot idea in vehicles but until it's fully complete it's just a semi-functioning system of the idealized fully functional one. I'd be happy to say it's SZ in 2019 if it is 100%.

That's a fair comment, but Musk brought it to the forefront whether it was his idea or not. He took the all and rolled with it.

In a few years when it's all dialled in we'll be taking it for granted like we do most other motoring innovations so it's worthwhile to me to appreciate it before it's taken for granted.

Steve Jobs didn't create the first touch screen tablet or phone but he was the one who made it mainstream. Tesla are doing the same thing.

That's a fair comment, but Musk brought it to the forefront whether it was his idea or not. He took the all and rolled with it.

In a few years when it's all dialled in we'll be taking it for granted like we do most other motoring innovations so it's worthwhile to me to appreciate it before it's taken for granted.

Steve Jobs didn't create the first touch screen tablet or phone but he was the one who made it mainstream. Tesla are doing the same thing.

How so their are many people overseas from where Musk's work is being done that actually brought if forward, most of them in the transportation industry under the guise of Mercedes and Renault. Also technically others have made it popular with smaller implementations of auto pilot systems or gps detection, like parking, collision avoidance and braking

How so their are many people overseas from where Musk's work is being done that actually brought if forward, most of them in the transportation industry under the guise of Mercedes and Renault.

Like I say, I'm not crediting Musk/ Tesla with its invention but if one looks for a self driving car Tesla will ultimately be the first search result on Google. (I haven't confirmed that, just a guess).

In reality it doesn't matter who brings it to the fore, it matters that it's happening and I could well have nominated another company for the same system but if was to ask my mum who makes self driving cars she would tell me Tesla.

It won't matter once the system takes off across the board any way. How many average people know about the innovations that Citroen or Volvo brought to motoring? They don't because it's just progress in their eyes, it doesn't matter where it came from.

Like I say, I'm not crediting Musk/ Tesla with its invention but if one looks for a self driving car Tesla will ultimately be the first search result on Google. (I haven't confirmed that, just a guess).

In reality it doesn't matter who brings it to the fore, it matters that it's happening and I could well have nominated another company for the same system but if was to ask my mum who makes self driving cars she would tell me Tesla.

It won't matter once the system takes off across the board any way. How many average people know about the innovations that Citroen or Volvo brought to motoring? They don't because it's just progress in their eyes, it doesn't matter where it came from.

That's essentially my point, when people bring up who made it popular or who made it most mass produced feature, great but I care about who made it better who brought it to the forefront, and tried to innovate it in various or new applications. Which is why I gave it a meh for it's current form but once it's 100% would be happy to give it an SZ. Also why I agreed with you, someone with the dedication and willingness to innovate where others aren't seemingly doing so to this degree yet, is cool or on its way to such.

It's great, no doubt, but I'm not ok with it taking over every vehicle. I'm also confused as to why people press for this technology when you could alternatively take a bus or train if you don't want to drive?

Cool nonetheless.

Back