• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @PeterJB

c.1600-present Symphony Orchestra

jersey-articleLarge.jpg

Orchestras started off in the Baroque era as small string groups with no more than 15 players. They have since evolved dramatically to encompass as many as 250 musicians playing as many as 30 different types of string, woodwind, brass, keyboard and percussion instruments. They form the backbone of Western music through their innumerable use in classical music, jazz, swing and big band music, pop, rock and film music.

There is nothing more stirring than hearing one of these up close and full blast.

Except maybe being stuck in a tornado. On fire.

Also, without the symphony orchestra, no Imperial March, Indiana Jones theme or Looney Tunes. Sub-zero.

This is the stuff a lot of casual listeners have trouble describing without using the word "epic"... well for the high-energy performances anyway.

In any case, I enjoy the variety of pieces a orchestra can produce. With all the soundtracks I have from cartoon shows, I find it's primarily all I listen to now.

The roster of instruments can portray a large range of atmospheric moods.... or maybe that's just me being previously influenced by Looney Tunes to feel this way. That kind of versatility is something I don't sense in other genres as much (feel free to suggest otherwise).

Easy sub-zero.

Listen from 8:10 onwards.

Why not the whole thing? The whole thing is good.

Last edited:
I went to see the 'Royal Philharmonic Orchestra', play the theme tunes from 'James Bond', last year. And was truly blown away by how good it was, ('A view to a kill' was a particularly awesome). Spine tingling stuff, for sure.

Sub Zero.

This vid doesn't actually do it justice.. The venue i saw them at was smaller (better acoustics, i feel) and there was about only three quarters of the orchestra were playing as opposed to the full orchestra.

Last edited:
Need to drop the tuxedos and evening dresses. Not very practical in small spaces. Backstage must be chaos, so it can't be a SZ. Cool from me.

Sub-Zero. Nothing more classy than a night out at the symphony. It's always fun trying to pick out the instruments that my family and I play/played when we go. Easy for my sister and parents( violin and viola), not as easy for me (cello):lol:

Sub-Zero. Nothing more classy than a night out at the symphony. It's always fun trying to pick out the instruments that my family and I play/played when we go. Easy for my sister and parents( violin and viola), not as easy for me (cello):lol:

I'm guessing you mean audibly and not visually?

I've watched good rock live... and have even played (once) on (a small) stage with a few pros, freestyling bass. (the rest of the time, I did mostly finger-picking stuff and back up vocals for college bands... Can't play bass for more than fifteen minutes, broken hand).

I do appreciate a good guitar lick. But it's a single voice. Lots of overtones and undertones, but limited by the amplifier and speaker combo to a certain tonal range and voice. And while that voice is much more complex than a Youtube vid played over laptop speakers can convey, it's still very much limited by the medium.

Been there, done that... I'd do it again if I were ever going again. But it's all meat, veggies, potatoes. Guitar, drum, bass. While the song writing and composition are important, the tonal range is severely lacking if that's all you ever listen to. It's kind of like coloring with an eight-box of crayons. You can do some wonderful stuff with it, but it's limiting.

Add a symphonic orchestra worth of oil pastels, however, and your palette opens up.

Remember guys, an orchestra is not just classical music. It is a means of making any kind of music you can imagine.

Edit: Was on the phone and couldn't paste properly:

Have to play these clips on good speakers to get all the proper overtones and the low notes... or at least all those that Youtube actually lets through.. ;)

Last edited:
Seriously uncool. Something amazing that is unfortunately ruined by some of the snobbiest people imaginable.

Disclaimer: I play in orchestras regularly.

To hear a great orchestra perform live is an awesome experience, not really duplicated by any other medium. Musicians of the world's best orchestras are masters of their craft, who have devoted their whole lives to perfecting their art. Listen to the Berlin Philharmonic, for example, and you hear nothing short of perfection. An orchestra judged by its merits and musical product alone is easily sub-zero.

The problem is, in today's society orchestras are associated with snobbishness and the rich. Part of this is because classical music in general is instantly dismissed as snobbish and for the rich, which is because the audiences who typically attend orchestra concerts and listen to classical radio are generally stereotyped as "old people". This isn't really deserved, but what is deserved is snobbish criticisms coming from what has now become accepted as standard concert etiquette.

The orchestra members are wearing tuxedos and formal gowns, the audience is also dressed nicely, the concerts take place in (usually) extravagant concert halls, and the audience is expected to be completely silent. You get scowls from everyone if you clap between movements of a piece, or even cough. I will admit that when I'm at an orchestra concert (whether performing or in the audience) I want the audience to be completely silent, but it doesn't give the orchestra a good reputation with free-spirited youth and people who are used to yelling and screaming whenever they want at rock and pop concerts. There are designated places when you are to applaud obligatorily (at the ends of pieces, when the concertmaster walks out, when the conductor walks out).

American orchestras have been in dire straits financially in recent years, due largely to being out of touch with most of the public, and several major orchestras have or have nearly declared bankruptcy, locking out all of the musicians in the process. To rectify this, orchestras have been programming concert series geared towards younger concert goers. More casual venues, more recognizable music (film music, etc.) grouped together with classical standards, and the like. the snobby stigma may eventually be lifted from the orchestra. I definitely hope so!

All that said, the orchestra is responsible for much of the music that people would define as sub-zero. The best movie soundtracks, for example. Modern video game soundtracks. Orchestras have been employed by groups of all genres, including extensively in progressive rock and metal.

So, although the stigma is there, I can't classify the symphony orchestra as anything but sub-zero. It's the classiest, most polished musical ensemble in the world, that also requires the most dedication and musicality and is capable of the widest range of emotions.

Loved this piece of art.

Listened to the hole thing, though, I enjoyed it most until 2:38. The guy's voice didn't convince me, but overall, it was good.

It's one of my favorite drum n' bass songs simply because they collaborated with a freaking orchestra to produce this masterpiece. I enjoy this for being a live performance, but I think if they had recorded a studio version it would sound slightly better. The electronic "beep" sounds too sharp, and at times the audio doesn't seem like it's balanced.

Latest Posts

Back